Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    edited April 2009
    Phew I'm glad everyone else is suffering at the hands of the wind gods, my legs are a tangled mess of knotted flesh this morning :(

Might take a rest day :oops:

Edit: waking up in the night with severe leg pains :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Oh, the lifts are knackered in my building, which means that I've had to walk up seven floors twice this morning. Once with the bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:
    Phew I'm glad everyone else is suffering at the hands of the wind gods, my legs are a tangled mess of knotted flesh this morning :(

Might take a rest day :oops:

Edit: waking up in the night with severe leg pains :cry:

:?

Just set a PB on the way in, journey home = sloooooooooooooow tonight methinks
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Garou
    Garou Posts: 33
    itboffin wrote:
    Phew I'm glad everyone else is suffering at the hands of the wind gods, my legs are a tangled mess of knotted flesh this morning :( :

+1

This morning was hard work, just seemed to have nothing in the tank...

Think i'll take it easier tomorrow and save my legs for my long weekend around the South Downs, :) .
    'I'm not in the business; I am the business.'
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    Oh, the lifts are knackered in my building, which means that I've had to walk up seven floors twice this morning. Once with the bike.

Did you forget it the first time then? :lol:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    took the embankment last night and nailed a few scalps (2 fixed and 3 roadies) then hit that headwind you guys were talking about, that hurt... picked up a row of drafters, I'm sure I ruined one of their freeloading days when I turned off and went south over vauxhall bridge
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Note to self: A man-mountain like CP would be REALLY good to draft.

I wonder if my panniers make me a better person to draft...

Got to consider tactics in windy weather!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    LiT got scalped.

Huh.
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:
    LiT got scalped.

Huh.

Hahaha! NO. Cervelo man was waaaaaay higher than me in the food chain.

Watch it Blondie. :D
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

Not sure but since I started using them I notice cars give me a wider berth :)
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200

To be sure they would. If you're a leprachaun. Unless you have huuuuge panniers.

If you hear anyone behind you saying "hello yourself" put the afterburners on. Being scalped twice in one week could be too traumatic for words... :wink:
  • lost_in_thought

To be sure they would. If you're a leprachaun. Unless you have huuuuge panniers.

If you hear anyone behind you saying "hello yourself" put the afterburners on. Being scalped twice in one week could be too traumatic for words... :wink:

:lol::lol:

OK, this time I'm NOT biting...

Or trying not to.

It's not working.

Not scalped damn it!! :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Attica wrote:

Just set a PB on the way in, journey home = sloooooooooooooow tonight methinks

You were stopped when I saw you at 09:30 on Anchor Road, though you do have an excuse. The lights were red.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Yep, that was me, traffic is always pi$$ poor along there

Journey home was not as bad as I expected but the midges were out in plague proportions once I got out onto the moors, still picking them out of my teeth now.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Clever Pun

Tell me about it... I'm getting loads of drafters at the moment it's so unfair

5 miles, 5 fricking miles some dude sat on my tail, I managed to bin him a couple of times but traffic lights kept him on my 6 freeloading while my legs were running out of juice as I wasn't going to let him bin me :x
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Clever Pun wrote:

5 miles, 5 fricking miles some dude sat on my tail, I managed to bin him a couple of times but traffic lights kept him on my 6 freeloading while my legs were running out of juice as I wasn't going to let him bin me :x

Are you sure they "meant" to draft you? They might have just got sucked in the huge vortex created in your wake and couldn't escape ;-) You probably dragged him 3 miles further then he wanted :-)

In complete contrast I got told on the ML by one of the fellow riders (JA or ITB IIRC) that I don't make a very good wind break ;-) Might explain why I don't get many drafters and kept loosing people on the C2C last year..........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

Are you sure they "meant" to draft you? They might have just got sucked in the huge vortex created in your wake and couldn't escape ;-) You probably dragged him 3 miles further then he wanted :-)

In complete contrast I got told on the ML by one of the fellow riders (JA or ITB IIRC) that I don't make a very good wind break ;-) Might explain why I don't get many drafters and kept loosing people on the C2C last year..........

that's cause you're the size of my leg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • lost_in_thought
    :lol::lol:@BJUK

Heeeeeeeeelp I was meant to turn off 15 minutes ago but I'm being sucked into the wake vortex of this huuuuuge guy doing 40mph on a Brompton HEEEEEEEELP!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I actually came across another roadie on the way home yesterday. Typically, it was supposed to be my "cruise home" day too. He popped out of the side road just by the bottom of Otterbourne Hill.
    I now take the cycle path up there, the road was narrowed to put it in and has too many traffic islands for my liking, and it's tarmac anyway. He, however, kept to the road, as he's entitled to do. This gave him about 5-10 meters start on me, which was quickly eaten up.
    We then proceeded to climb along together, him on the road (with some cars behind him) me on the path keeping pace.
    He again managed to pull out a couple or so meters at the top, where the path bends a tad and you have to negotiate the transition from path to side road to path to road (thats my excuse, none of you were there, so I'm sticking with it :) ) and we end up either end of a car at the roundabout, but he's still going my way.
    I catch up to him, but that has me going quicker. I don't want to draft him, technically it's chapeau to him for the hill so if either of us should work here, it was going to be me, so I pulled past and in. I thought maybe he'll come by, but at the same time wasn't going to go looking for him.
    I've been quicker down that road, I was supposed to be cruising that day remember, but I wasn't slacking. Alas, by the time I went to turn off, he was gone, probably down the more main road I sometimes use.
    Good fun while it lasted.
  • Clever Pun
    off the bike today but then I've got a 1/2 day to go St Johns restaurant then over to the SMWS for a pleasant afternoon getting tw@ted
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Mr flatbar hybrid manned up to me this morning, so, I dropped him......Otherwise, I got soaked riding in and saw no-one else......ugh!
  • Christophe3967
    Scalped a unicycle. :lol: Saw a burd riding a bike with her top completely unzipped. :o . Protestors back outside HoP. :evil: . Loads of action along Vic Embankment. :)

Last night tried Jash's idea of the seated sprint to get past a Sigma Sport dude on a white Cervelo that had jumped the lights as I was turning right on to Vic Embankment. He was out of the saddle, giving it some Tom Boonen, so no excuses for him. Fortunately I was turning right soon after, so didn't have to worry about any vengeance he might have wreaked later. :) So not a scalp but still gave him a scare. Despatched a few other roadies but the headwinds meant more pain for the second night :(

To round off the evening my planned trip to the pub to watch the big game was hijacked by a reminder that this was our last child-free night (the boy's been away for a few days) and that we should make the most of not needing a baby sitter. So a nice quiet dinner out. And no footy. Joy.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Was going to cruise in this morning, save my legs for a run later, however.....

Coming up Wimbledon HIll, and I was sitting behind a chap on a Felt Road bike, me, not feeling that confident up hills thought I would sit behind him, but about half way up he was wobbling, so stood up and dropped him.

May have it may have been the same chap with a Felt road bike, Lycra & baggies on over the top (is that a FCN 4.5?) cruised with him through Putney and then on Fulham Palace Road sat behind him then when the bus lane opens up, went for it. Nearly looked like a right idiot as there was a hell of a sturggle and to be fair it's probably the fact I managed to surprise him that kept me ahead.

So an easy cruise into work thoroughly enjoyably ruined by a dose of SCR again. Thank goodness for showers at work!
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • cjcp
    Christophe - I think you secured a moral scalp: he's on a white Cervelo and giving it some. If he's doing anything less than riding like the clappers or not watching his back to ensure that he doesn't get overtaken, he's scalped. :)

Couple of drafting fairies last night. Curiously, the two chaps I invited to pass me didn't fancy the headwind. :lol: So rode them off the wheel. :)

Bit of action this morning too.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Is it wrong to tease other cyclists by spinning up behind them forcing them to get out of the saddle and push hard whilst you cruise behind (far enough away not to be drafting) wearing totally inappropriate non cycling wear (jeans & jumper) on a single speed :D

A little note to the lone cyclist on the Wolfhall road yesterday afternoon, good show of speed but your faked "I was stopping here anyway" move fooled no one. :D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Christophe3967
    itboffin wrote:
    Is it wrong to tease other cyclists by spinning up behind them forcing them to get out of the saddle and push hard whilst you cruise behind (far enough away not to be drafting) wearing totally inappropriate non cycling wear (jeans & jumper) on a single speed :D

A little note to the lone cyclist on the Wolfhall road yesterday afternoon, good show of speed but your faked "I was stopping here anyway" move fooled no one. :D

That's very naughty. You should be ashamed. :D
  • lost_in_thought
    Yeah, it was a touch windy last night and this morning...

Managed to take down a roadie on a sigma own-brand all in Assos and Campag kit on the way home last night, and hilariously out-sprinted an Assos-ed to the max guy on a roadie on HSK this morning.

Looks like rain for later though, damn it.
  • Scalped a FCN 1 on the way home, saw him from about 1/2 a mile off and the 1st thought through my mind was "Ello wabbit!"

But it was supposed to be a cruise home and I kept telling myself I was cruising home as I accelerated and reeled him in like a mackerel.

Passed him on the up hill, nice and steady like with a pleasent "good evening"

Does it effect the FCN if i'm 28 and the wabbit is about 100? bear in mind the ancient wabbit was cruising at about 16.5mph
  • itboffin
    Scalped a FCN 1 on the way home, saw him from about 1/2 a mile off and the 1st thought through my mind was "Ello wabbit!"

But it was supposed to be a cruise home and I kept telling myself I was cruising home as I accelerated and reeled him in like a mackerel.

Passed him on the up hill, nice and steady like with a pleasent "good evening"

Does it effect the FCN if i'm 28 and the wabbit is about 100? bear in mind the ancient wabbit was cruising at about 16.5mph

Nope age is unimportant, just look at Greg66 he's about 65 but goes like a rocket, when his back permits.
  • cjcp
    and the 1st thought through my mind was "Ello wabbit!"

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."