Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Does it effect the FCN if i'm 28 and the wabbit is about 100? bear in mind the ancient wabbit was cruising at about 16.5mph

Old Bike Guys (OBGs) are a constant danger and have been remarked on many many times.

It looks like you managed to score yourself a sleeping one as it is a well known fact that OBGs don't get off the bike to sleep they just do favourite laps of local hills until it's time to really really ream some upstart for fun.

Once they are fully awake (and you only really have bike speed to go on here as their breathing and cadence don't change) they are mean with a big M and dedicated to just looking effortless but moving fast.

Don't be surprised if the next time you feel a cold presence behind you you find that you've picked up six stone of concentrated cycling venom who'll say
    OBG wrote:
    Mind if I tag a lift youg man - my bypass is playing up

and then hold your back wheel at 30 mph until you blow up - pushing you like a steamtrain and chuckling like a drain.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    From the daily mail siralun article:
    When I ask what purpose is served by his Pinarello's fancy barley twist front forks, his answer is damning: 'Marketing. It is all nonsense really.'

Jash - care to comment?

:lol:
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    When I ask what purpose is served by his Pinarello's fancy barley twist front forks, his answer is damning: 'Marketing. It is all nonsense really.'

Jash - care to comment?

Clunky old Campag as well - siralun was lusting after a bit of Ultegra. :D

Three Pinarellos. Parked in his hallway. Unbelievable lack of imagination. What about a Parlee and a Ridley? Or a Seven, a Viner, a Serotta. Or even a Cervelo?

But fair play, at least he's not a all the gear no idea fella and he's putting in the miles.

Colour co-ordination clearly not an issue either. 8)
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Jash - care to comment?

Just sit and wait patiently for the bite. :lol:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Jash - care to comment?

Three Pinarellos. Parked in his hallway. Unbelievable lack of imagination. What about a Parlee and a Ridley? Or a Seven, a Viner, a Serotta. Or even a Cervelo?

But fair play, at least he's not a all the gear no idea fella and he's putting in the miles.

If he bought the high end Ridley (Noah, is it?), he could compare himself point to point to see whether the Ridley's forks make any difference to speed.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg T wrote:
    and then hold your back wheel at 30 mph until you blow up - pushing you like a steamtrain and chuckling like a drain.

That was sooooo like me! yesterday :lol:

PS. but only 27.5mph :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

How is the bypass ITB?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

How is the bypass ITB?

The financial bypass is very painful and not to be recommended :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Christophe3967
    edited April 2009
    cjcp wrote:

Jash - care to comment?

If he bought the high end Ridley (Noah, is it?), he could compare himself point to point to see whether the Ridley's forks make any difference to speed.

There's a Ridley Noah in Pearsons that looks the dog cojones. Trouble is the integrated seat post means it won't go in a bike box, so you need your own private jet. Ah well.

[/img]http://a1.vox.com/6a00e398aeb836000400fa968855490003-500pi[img][/img]
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Benno68 wrote:
    Jash - care to comment?

Just sit and wait patiently for the bite. :lol:

You lot are soooo sloooowwww. I posted about this article a few weeks ago! In fact I even drew attention to it myself. :shock:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12615281&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80

Fair play or siralun, although he needs to work on his colour co-ord! :D :shock:
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I've started wearing a bike cap, for purely functional reasons of course (it keeps the sun and/or rain out of my eyes!) so I guess that calls for an FCN readjustment. I'm starting to wonder if my bike (fixed gear) has gone from being "tarty and shiny" to "dirty and functional" owing to the fact that I never clean it, allowing me to take 5 as my base number instead of 3? I also need to ask, do bullhorns (specifically Profile Airwing) count as aerobars or do only only proper aerobars that go in the middle of your normal bars count? I need to know before I can calculate my true FCN!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • cjcp
    pst88 wrote:
    II'm starting to wonder if my bike (fixed gear) has gone from being "tarty and shiny" to "dirty and functional" owing to the fact that I never clean it, allowing me to take 5 as my base number instead of 3?

What does your conscience tell you? :wink:
    I also need to ask, do bullhorns (specifically Profile Airwing) count as aerobars or do only only proper aerobars that go in the middle of your normal bars count? I need to know before I can calculate my true FCN!

I'd say only clip-on tri bars count because that affects body position as I don't think there's any material difference from bullhorns to riding on the hoods.

Carbing up for the journey home: cookies :D . Am probably going to do a lap of the Park on the way home if anyone wants to joing me. Going to have a rucksack full of work and food though, so nothing fast.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:

Carbing up for the journey home: cookies :D . Am probably going to do a lap of the Park on the way home if anyone wants to joing me. Going to have a rucksack full of work and food though, so nothing fast.

DO NOT trust this man - nothing fast :shock:

I've got your number :wink:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990

There's a Ridley Noah in Pearsons that looks the dog cojones. Trouble is the integrated seat post means it won't go in a bike box, so you need your own private jet. Ah well.

6a00e398aeb836000400fa968855490003-500pi[/quote]

I like this one even more:

1239267708329-1sdxbx21hr2qm-500-90-500-70.jpg
  • cjcp
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh deary me. It's in the small chainring.

And that bar tape isn't going to make it go any faster, so they can change that for a start.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

For once, you can trust me. :wink: It's a heavy bag I'm loading up.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

For once, you can trust me. :wink: It's a heavy bag I'm loading up.

Yes it's a heavy bag alright, dripping with scalps :shock:
  • Christophe3967
    cjcp wrote:
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh deary me. It's in the small chainring.

And that bar tape isn't going to make it go any faster, so they can change that for a start.

Pedant. :wink:

I'm going to ask Santa about this.
  • attica
    errr...

It's gone 5.30 and it's a bank holiday tomorrow.

Why are we all still here?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    Well that worked.

Have a great weekend all
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    Ditto. (About to leave. :D )
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I certainly prefer the look of BD's Ridley to that of the Noah, but then I think I'd still rather the a Prince over either of them - even tho I did let out a small "ooooooooohhhhhhhhh" as I looked at BDs one!

Me thinks I need to do some more research *heads over to Ridley website, proceeds to drool on keyboard.........*

EDIT:

Now this is more like it.........

Noah%20902C%20%20bike%20Chorus.jpg

And just for CJCP I even ensured I got a pic of it in the big ring ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Pootling home (about 17mph) against a bit of a headwind on Tuesday, I heard a cyclist behind me that went past like a rocket.

I have no idea whether it was male or female, just bloody fast...

Do people wear replica GB cycling kit?
  • attica
    jimmypippa wrote:

You'll be relieved to know that yes, occasionally people do.
    In fact I wore a long sleeve top throughout the winter in the vain hope that drivers would associate BC colours with olympic glory and therefore hang back from punting me off the bike with their car - seemed to work as I'm still here
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    Attica wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

You'll be relieved to know that yes, occasionally people do.
    In fact I wore a long sleeve top throughout the winter in the vain hope that drivers would associate BC colours with olympic glory and therefore hang back from punting me off the bike with their car - seemed to work as I'm still here

Tart. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    You knows it
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Both those Ridley bikes look very long in the top tube... or I'm just freakishly short-torsoed...

anyhoo, just had a lovely ride home in the dead of night, told off 2 people for not having lights... am turning into a crotchety old lady!
  • itboffin
    Scalp :D

Luck would have it we were going the same way, as a true gentleman I allowed him a sporting chance which he tried to use but alas I burned him good passing at a nice steady speed imparting the usual greeting then burning away whilst seated of course, fortunately the rain hid the copious amounts of sweat pouring off my face :lol: cjcp you'd have been proud.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    Scalp :D

Luck would have it we were going the same way, as a true gentleman I allowed him a sporting chance which he tried to use but alas I burned him good passing at a nice steady speed imparting the usual greeting then burning away whilst seated of course, fortunately the rain hid the copious amounts of sweat pouring off my face :lol: cjcp you'd have been proud.

The Force is clearly with you, ITB. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    I certainly prefer the look of BD's Ridley to that of the Noah, but then I think I'd still rather the a Prince over either of them - even tho I did let out a small "ooooooooohhhhhhhhh" as I looked at BDs one!

Me thinks I need to do some more research *heads over to Ridley website, proceeds to drool on keyboard.........*

EDIT:

Now this is more like it.........

Noah%20902C%20%20bike%20Chorus.jpg

And just for CJCP I even ensured I got a pic of it in the big ring ;-)

Not my cup of tea though. Not a fan of the top tube. Had the same reaction to this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/to ... _side_view

Interesting saddle though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."