Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Left early tonight as the wife was off out, which meant tonight was a prolonged speed session. :twisted:

The highllight was being able to ride through Richmond Park on the way home and, despite getting extra mileage in the legs over the winter by riding around the Park to avoid the deer, the speed definitely suffers when you can't hack it along the streets to the extent you can for those 3.5 miles through the Park.

Roll on the light evenings! :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Had a right blast on the way home last night, binned a SS through Camberwell but felt a bit guilty passing him up Denmark Hill. Giving him his due tho he did make good speed up there but his 1 speed just couldn't deal with my turn of speed as we both turned onto Sunray Avenue with it's downhill section to start with! My cycle comp starting racing through the 20's towards the nice 30!

Decided to tackle Gypsy Hill on the way home, one of the steeper ways to get up to the top of Crystal Palace from the London side and I can actually say I enjoyed it! I've already got an appointment to get my head check on this :-)

Topped the ride off with an amazing run down Grange Road, one of my favourite fast ones and actually did a car! Had to wait for the road to clear, dropped a gear at the rear and pulled round! Felt awesome as I flew past them and went after the car in front! Technically they shouldn't have caught me as I maxed out at 8.5mph faster then they could have legally driven down the road :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Car won't start and ankle prevents me from riding a bike... I to :( ok the train today. Saw one guy on a Marin full suspension (people still ride full suspension bikes? That's sooooo 2004... :roll: )

Someone coughed on me on the train... I think I've caught the plague! :cry::cry::cry:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Methinks some of the fair weather riders are starting to poke their collective heads above the windy parapet. Took 2 roadie scalps this morning, one of them thought he wasn't in trouble and tried to put up a fight - dropped him like a stone. Go to be embarrassing when you're in lycra and have gears.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I got passed......on a hill...........by an older roadie..........not good :-(
    I'd managed to hold him off from the lights in Dulwich but knew I'd given it a bit to much as we came across the mini roundabout before the little uphill section. I could feel him coming up behind and then alongside me.

I did manage to hold him off on Denmark Hill and lost him somewhere in Camberwell.
    Picked up a SS who was performing some rather wobbly trackstands! He went off fairly quickly away from the lights and even whooped as I went past at one point :shock:
    We continued to trade places all the way to E&C but he RLJ'd on the bus lane and I didn't see him after that.

Took a diversion to get to work today and had to play dodgems with some utter tw4t on a scooter who decided to ignore a no entry sign and turn onto the one way street I was using :evil: Here's to hoping we have a traffic camera on that one!

Sorry to hear about the car DDD, my suggestion would be to visit a newsagent and get thee a copy of Cycling Plus. You could also try wearing your lycra.......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Methinks some of the fair weather riders are starting to poke their collective heads above the windy parapet. Took 2 roadie scalps this morning, one of them thought he wasn't in trouble and tried to put up a fight - dropped him like a stone. Go to be embarrassing when you're in lycra and have gears.

This is going to be me once I can get back on a bike. How depressing. Thinking of giving it a go tomorrow - pootling to work without getting out of breath at all. Wonder how much longer it would take?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    biondino wrote:

This is going to be me once I can get back on a bike. How depressing. Thinking of giving it a go tomorrow - pootling to work without getting out of breath at all. Wonder how much longer it would take?

and how do you think I feel? I can only pootle and I'm still out of breath :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I went home early yesterday, a bike bikes around but no cyclists

this morning the only thing that came remotely near a scalp was and SS'er but his chain was so unbelievably slack it was flapping around while he was cycling
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    biondino wrote:

and how do you think I feel? I can only pootle and I'm still out of breath :oops:

I put that badly - I have to make sure I don't get out of breath as it hurts the cracked rib! I wasn't suggesting I am a pootling machine or anything :)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Car won't start and ankle prevents me from riding a bike... I to :( ok the train today. Saw one guy on a Marin full suspension (people still ride full suspension bikes? That's sooooo 2004... :roll: )

Someone coughed on me on the train... I think I've caught the plague! :cry::cry::cry:

plenty of cheap dual suspension bikes around, i assume you mean on road? does depend on area, areas that directly suround heathrow tend to have a lot as they are cheap transport.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I now commute from East London....and I've found a hill!

Bigger than the Bolan Death bridge

Bigger than the Col De Putney

This baby is massive, there was almost snow on the top, and I had pangs of altitude sickness

It's so high it's even called "high street"

Going over the Bow Road interchange, above the northern approach to the blackwall tunnel
    http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=E15&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=22.014713,48.867188&ie=UTF8&ll=51.529645,-0.014087&spn=0.002817,0.005965&t=h&z=18

Easy speed on the way down!

Wheeeeeeeeheheheeeeeeeeeheheheeeeeeeeeeeee..........
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cjcp
    A&rse, b*gger, pants - was keeping pace with a speedy chap on a Bianchi this morning when I had a p******e on Queen's Ride. If he'd been heading down Embankment, that could have been some quality SCR. We'd both entered RP at the same time. Chapeau, sir - you're quick. 8)

So, stopped at Holdsworth Cycles to get the tyre pumped up properly. First time I've been in there. Very nice chap who runs it and gave me some helpful advice on why my chain is falling off (need a new chain and good idea to put my front mech on - somebody mentioned that last week. Cassette also needs replacing, and new tyres to be ordered today). Then he told me what I'd feared - headset was loose and is probably needs replacing. :( It was fitted by another shop too. :?

So, the commuter is off for a service there next week. An expensive morning all in all, but a big up for Holdsworth.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    A&rse, b*gger, pants - was keeping pace with a speedy chap on a Bianchi this morning when I had a p******e on Queen's Ride. If he'd been heading down Embankment, that could have been some quality SCR. We'd both entered RP at the same time. Chapeau, sir - you're quick. 8)

So, stopped at Holdsworth Cycles to get the tyre pumped up properly. First time I've been in there. Very nice chap who runs it and gave me some helpful advice on why my chain is falling off (need a new chain and good idea to put my front mech on - somebody mentioned that last week. Cassette also needs replacing, and new tyres to be ordered today). Then he told me what I'd feared - headset was loose and is probably needs replacing. :( It was fitted by another shop too. :?

So, the commuter is off for a service there next week. An expensive morning all in all, but a big up for Holdsworth.

Blimey! One visit from you and he gets to close early!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yup. £40 lighter this morning, with another £x to go. Cluck-a-doodle-doo.

It's marginally more annoying than missing out on a quality bit of SCR too.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Scalp....Scalp....Scalp.... :D

I don't care about their FCN in battle these minor points do not matter :twisted:

Amazing weather this morning, plus dry clean roads the only problem I had today was swarms of tiny flies, it's all good protein :lol:

PS. Anyone else finding BR slow AGAIN!?!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Throlkim
    Throlkim Posts: 94
    itboffin wrote:
    PS. Anyone else finding BR slow AGAIN!?!

Aye, the server was really struggling an hour or two ago. Methinks they need some new hamsters.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

It was just such a day that persuaded me that a SS was the way forward. Then a kindly black cab wrote off my commuter and the rest is history. £14 on brakes and a new rear sprocket for £40 are the only expenses in 9 months. The bike will have paid for itself in.... ah, wait, I don't need to justify buying a new bike on here, do I? :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

It was just such a day that persuaded me that a SS was the way forward. Then a kindly black cab wrote off my commuter and the rest is history. £14 on brakes and a new rear sprocket for £40 are the only expenses in 9 months. The bike will have paid for itself in.... ah, wait, I don't need to justify buying a new bike on here, do I? :)

But I still need a bike, other than my race bike, which is, umm, useful for more than one purpose. :lol:

<runs for cover>

Actually, I see your point - and I won't deny that the Touche is a lovely looking machine - but I need a geared, non-race steed for winter riding either in the Surrey Hills or, more likely, Richmond Park. After being told I need a new headset, I also think I should have a back-up commuter! :)

This is where I am in a dilemma: do I build up my present, spare frame either for me or the wife or sell the frame and various spare pars (e.g. chainset, mech, handlebars) and get something because it'll still need a groupset, which means either buying one for this frame or one for the race bike and passing the existing ones down the line?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:

Actually, I see your point - and I won't deny that the Touche is a lovely looking machine - but I need a geared, non-race steed for winter riding either in the Surrey Hills or, more likely, Richmond Park. After being told I need a new headset, I also think I should have a back-up commuter! :)

This is where I am in a dilemma: do I build up my present, spare frame either for me or the wife or sell the frame and various spare pars (e.g. chainset, mech, handlebars) and get something because it'll still need a groupset, which means either buying one for this frame or one for the race bike and passing the existing ones down the line?

I think you need to MTFU.
  • cjcp
    :lol:

I note you took a geared bike to Marlborough... :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:

Yep, but only 'cos I can't afford one of these:

montellofp8pista.jpg

*drools
  • cjcp
    :shock:

That bike has an identity crisis: it doesn't know what it is. Is it a tt bike for pan-flat courses?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    I don't care what it is. If I got paid stupid banker money (pre crunch) I'd have one of those in a flash, with drop bars of course!
  • cjcp
    How much does it cost?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:

I don't want to rub it but I've done the ML several times on my SS :lol: some of it today.

given the conditions Jash was a rocket, I hit 30+ several times and he was still disappearing into the distance, such as shame about the weather, those descents have potential for epic speeds.

Next time.... :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp wrote:

That bike has an identity crisis: it doesn't know what it is. Is it a Pinarello or a Cervelo P3T?

p3-track_001.png

Fixed that for you.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

That bike has an identity crisis: it doesn't know what it is. Is it a Pinarello or a Cervelo P3T?

p3-track_001.png

Fixed that for you.

But it's RED!!! :lol:
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:
    How much does it cost?

Parker have the Frame only for £3,799.99!
  • itboffin wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

p3-track_001.png

Fixed that for you.

And white.

With a black seatpost.

It's got it all, see?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

p3-track_001.png

Fixed that for you.

And white.

With a black seatpost.

It's got it all, see?

Nope, that's ugly. The Pina is far nicer to look at.

I'd like one of these - a tad cheaper:

xtrack_304_big.jpg