Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I pull up beside the Trek for one good long and last look, I couldn't decide so convinced myself the roadie was female. Though deep down I can't be sure. However, while I'm typing this I'm perplexed by two things:

a) Why didn't I check for boobs.
    b) At the time why didn't I think to check for boobs. :shock:

Message for Bass don't worry matey I have two spare rooms :shock:

Actually I was thinking of coming up on Sat eve now, can't you put Bass and DDD in the same room. :twisted:

What lock them in together wearing nothing but lycra with only floor pumps to fend of DDD advances :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    ha ha are you all going to be nursing monster hangovers on Sunday morning?
    Are you?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    Are you?

I have no idea what you're talking about :roll: as if I would attempt to nobble the competition :wink:

Before anyone says it I said NOBBLE!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    Are you?

I have no idea what you're talking about :roll: as if I would attempt to gobble the competition :wink:

Before anyone says it I said GOBBLE!

Alright, I got it the first time. A bit scared now.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Still not been scalped this year - thought I was gonna die this morning - very tired and hurting, but I did work until 3am!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2009
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I pull up beside the Trek for one good long and last look, I couldn't decide so convinced myself the roadie was female. Though deep down I can't be sure. However, while I'm typing this I'm perplexed by two things:

a) Why didn't I check for boobs.
    b) At the time why didn't I think to check for boobs. :shock:

Message for Bass don't worry matey I have two spare rooms :shock:

Actually I was thinking of coming up on Sat eve now, can't you put Bass and DDD in the same room. :twisted:

What lock them in together wearing nothing but lycra with only floor pumps to fend of DDD advances :lol:

I ain't gay! :evil:

I love the ladies! :P

I love the ladies so much I may even buy a ladies bike and stick my big, long black seat post down its tube and ride it all day long!!! :shock:

YEAH I SAID IT!!! 8)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I ain't gay! :evil:

I love the ladies! :P

But at the end of the day a hole's a hole

translated that for you
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Still not been scalped this year - thought I was gonna die this morning - very tired and hurting, but I did work until 3am!

Noble attempt to stay on subject. No wonder you've not been scalped - riding round at 3 a.m. is a pretty good tactic :wink:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I think the Game Gods must have been pi55ed this morning as it appears a few other fellow gamers also failed to get to work with scalps intact..........

it was all going swimmingly this morning, I hit Denmark Hill like a devil, as I came down the lights at the junction stayed green and I carried all that lurvly speed that I'd accumulated down onto the run past the hospital, 30+ as I came off the bottom and still 25+ as I came towards the next set of lights.

As I filter to the front I see my first worthy looking target, a thai/chinese looking lad on a nice road bike with Sidi shoes on........signs of a slightly more serious rider! There was also another chap with a messenger bag, Sidi shoes aboard a rather tasty looking Litespeed (I think), this guy had the works, full-on setup with cadence sensors and the like. This could be interesting :-D

We pull off and Litespeed guy goes off like a shot and me and the chinese lad in pursuit. I look down nervously as I remember the ped lights up ahead have an annoying habbit of changing just as you arrive. We're pushing 26 and the lights are still green! They remain on that colour and we all pass through into the lovely clear bus lane ahead.

I've managed to get ahead of the chinese lad now and set myself up just off the Litespeed pilots 6, the bus lane through Camberwell is like the surface of the moon with all its craters! We safely negoatiate these and then it happens.............chinese guy comes past me :-( BUGGER!!!!

We now have litespeed, chinese chappie and me all bombing along around the 23-25mph mark. Traffic lights ahead are red and we all slow down. A stupid artic lorry decides it wants to turn into the petrol station and pulls over seperating us briefly before the junction with Albany Road. At this point the chinese lad pulls over to follow down that road leaving Litespeed to me! Going on his past performance down this stretch and him showing no signs of breaking a sweat I knew I was going to have a collosal task to pass him, without any signs of trying and to hold him off. I decided to instead just try and make him nervous and match him down the road. At one point he did a shoulder check and tried to sprint off but I still managed to stay in contact with him. This continued down all Walworth Road until we parted ways at E&C, I even managed to make up some ground on him there as he got a jump on the first of the roundabouts but headed up Borough Road at the second!

journey home was good fun as I took a different route to what I planned! I was working at a site at the top of Hamstead Road so planned on coming down Eversholt Street, then to just keep heading South until I hit the river and cross at Waterloo!
    Instead I came down Hampstead Road and then down Gower Street onto Charing Cross Road and then down Whitehall at Trafalgar Square. Had a few fast sections and seemed to attract the attention of a courier who kept giving me funny looks.......

Come over Westminster Bridge and then home via Brixton and Streatham - something I haven't done in a while so a nice change of scenery :-) Had a few persistant RLJer's that I constantly reeled in and a fun race down the tiny hill in Streatham by the station! Was about a mile longer then my route in but didn't take to much longer time wise!

That's my last commute before the weekend ride so it was certainly good fun! Speaking of which I now rather nervous........might bring the tent so DDD can have the room to himself :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Ah BJUK I love it when you bring this thread right back where it belongs....

Obvioulsly I would say more of relevance on it if I cycled to work more often :oops:

And if I ever saw another piece of worthy competition up ahead...
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    Jash and Clever, how do you make your coffee, if I may ask? Grinder and french press?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Guys - I have found the bike of my dreams 8)

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/guvnor.html
  • Guys - I have found the bike of my dreams 8)

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/guvnor.html

£780 wow.........................

I had been going 10 seconds tonight and I passed one of these. I was looking at it thinking 'what is that'. The rider must have realised my distaste due to the look he gave me.

Don't do it, it looked really uncomfortable, really uncomfortable.................

I was on for a new PB tonight but my over exuberance led to some dodgy decision (like really bad, just one more car) on my part, at the same time some Focus driver decided to fall asleep. He woke up fortunately and swerved at the last moment (missed by inches :shock: ). I got past the point of thinking this is going to be close, to bracing for impact.............Thought this one is going to be bust legs, pelvis etc

The incident took the edge of my evening and I didn't get the record. However, I am alive and thankful to that driver for not running me down.

Time to learn a lesson and remember it I feel, I don't want my last moments to be on a road in Tottenham. I moved out of there 20 years ago
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Cheers Linsen, I'd be busting to get that one out and didn't get a chance to get online all day as I was at a new site and it's an open-plan office! It was more important to get up to speed with site processes and procedures! Feels a bit rude to skive off ;-) I already got caught looking on Sports Tracker in the morning when it was quiet - I was trying to see if I could use a different route to get up there :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good to see BJUK and DD keeping the SCR end up. Any of you ladies wanna do some SCR any time, you feel free. You wanna chat, go to a mummy's coffee morning... :twisted:

Back in The Game next week. Refreshed and Ready To Go.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    This afternoon I can within an inch of being stone cold dead thanks to the total brain fuck driving at least 70mph on the wrong side of the road around a blind bend, thank god I drive slowly and carefully, that idiot full locked on an slid all over the road.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Glad to hear your OK ITB, sounds like a close call. I had an equally annoying little scrot in a Peugeot whilst trying to find the track that leads to the father in laws last time we got there..........pitch black out and I'm driving down the road practically via SAT NAV and headlights trying to find the little yellow sign and they think driving on my bumper with full beams is helping :evil:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Mmmm, let me see... SCR competition home.... on topic.

After my recent bout with gender I was eager for a good journey home, I think I left too early before 17.30 because:

Nothing along Coldharbour Lane of any merit, I hit Acre Lane and found myself with nothing of merit. OK Clapham Common usually the holy grail... nope nothing of merit. Down Balham Hill, nothing all along the stretch to Balham train station. Balham to Colliers Wood, nothing. Colliers Wood to Wimbledon, nothing. Home at 17.54, first time I got home before 6pm.

Was actually a good journey home. Bike felt sluggish though, not sure why (though I have an idea). I need a cycle computer...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i was attaully on a bike yesturday and commuting though nothing near my fcn i was using the old MTB, saw a headphone wearing, knees upto ears lad on new mtb rolling though every light, while i did pass him and at some speed, no scalp as he was quite obvously not a) fit nor b) had a clue what he was doing.
  • itboffin
    I passed the 1000 mile mark for the year yesterday, not bad considering the weather we've had so far. unfortunately not one of those miles was commuting :cry:

yay! 1000 :D
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    Commuting in the sticks leaves me slightly lacking in potential scalps meaning my usual commute is simply vs myself. However yesterday I came within moments of scalping a scooter on a long straight road until my legs decided that 40(kph) really wasn't a speed they were prepared to sustain for any longer and I had to back off.

Oh well, I did set a new commute maximum speed of 64.5(kph) down a small hill.
  • DonDaddyD
    "Hello!!!! HELLO!!! Are there any cyclists on the A24 after 8.30am, please come out to play, I'm sorry my speed scared you off, I'll slow down! Promise"

Yep you read right, after yesterdays absent journey home I was eager for todays morning commute. With the sun shinning and actual heat being felt from the rays, I thought all the cyclists, nice bikes, over the top bikes and fairweather cyclists would be out.

Not even a fakenger :roll:

Only one guy of merit, nice chap, tried to undertake a bus, I personally thought it was a bad idea and was going to call out to him but for a corsa-van trying to run me down on the right... We hit the Tooting to Balham drag strip where I said "bye" He eventually got to the lights I was waiting at (by Balham train station), rolled up and asked me
    "what pressure I have in my tyres?"
    "Er... I dunno know mate I kinda keep it at 120psi... why do they look flat" I replied.
    "Oh no! It's just that I can't keep up with your speed" He said
    "Thank you" I said in the most regal, composed and dignified manner I could muster.

'I can't wait to share this on bike radar' I though to myself as I sped off and headed towards Clapham!

8)
    Food Chain number = 4

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    itboffin wrote:
    I passed the 1000 mile mark for the year yesterday, not bad considering the weather we've had so far. unfortunately not one of those miles was commuting :cry:

yay! 1000 :D

I've just added mine up and I'm only on about 430. :cry:

My new year resolution plan for at least 100 miles of touring per month has gone down the pan. Been out once since Christmas and did 60-odd miles. Then came the weeks of snow-blocked/icy roads. Then came several weeks of my time being booked up by other things, which is still ongoing. The odd Sunday I've had free I've simply needed rest. I wanna ride my bike :roll:

But back to commuting! Had 2 heavy panniers today cos it's dress-down day in work, for Comic Relief next week, and my jeans and trainers are bulkier and heavier than my normal work stuff. And I don't like riding my bike in jeans and trainers so I had to carry them. Big suprise at the weight of my bike plus luggage when I came to lift it out of the front door, then I accelerated somewhat like a fully-laden lorry. But once I was up to speed I seemed to flow along easier than ever. Maybe all the weight gave me extra momentum.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Am up to just under 1,400 miles I think. Have had a week off the bike too because I've been out of the office with work :( .
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Am up to just under 1,400 miles I think. Have had a week off the bike too because I've been out of the office with work :( .
    Ah, surely it's a planned recovery week in a periodized training schedule ;) How long til the jaunt through fair Flanders' fields?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    1400 miles? I'm impressed! I've hardly done any cycling - only about 250ish miles so far this year - to be fair that's only 3 weeks of cycling.

And I missed the commute this morning due to the awards last night. It's such a beautiful day! Damn it all.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    How did the awards ceremony go? Did you Mum give a long and emotional acceptance speech in a Halle Berry stylie? :wink:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    1,225 up to the end of Feb for me. Roughly another 120 to add to that from this week so not too far behind CJCP. Probably no riding this weekend though unless I can shake off this stupid cold :(
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Feltup wrote:
    How did the awards ceremony go? Did you Mum give a long and emotional acceptance speech in a Halle Berry stylie? :wink:

No... she was too irritated by the feminist b*ll*cks and the 'you're all special, wonderful, amazing women' stuff. As was I.

We won't be back next year!

But much free champers and many a canapé made it better.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    At least the champagne might have dulled the senses a little.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali