Silly commuting racing

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Back on the bike today for one day only... Yaaaaay!

The Edge says I averaged but 15.8mph, I would like to point out that that was mainly due to a concerted, focussed efforrt by the residents of Acton to take me out. Barstewards. Max speed was a paltry 24.5mph.

Anyhoo, no scalping action, one guy whizzed past me when I was avoiding a car turning right across me, proper anchors down moment, so I gave chase, but he jumped all the damn reds. Grrrr.

Also, twice this morning I was stuck behind slow cyclists who were moving faster than the flow of traffic but not fast enough. Grumble. It's the weather, all the lampposts were taken this morning. Go away please!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    In case I'm taken out by an unidentified black 3 series convertible BMW near Richmond Park, can someone remember the number plate BK03 HOJ.

The aggressive little oik "driving" this car put his brakes on about 100 yards ahead of me this morning half way Priory Lane when I gave him the "Gareth Hunt magic the beans" hand signal after he'd passed me way too close, way too fast. He then drove alongside me as I rode up alongside and we had a bit of an exchange. He pointed out that there was a cycle lane etc etc and also seemed to say that the road was straight for a mile, which he was presumably using to justify him hammering it. I couldn't hear a lot of what he was saying because he was revving his engine, a comment which didn't seem to pacify him...

Anyway, he sped off ahead, and he stopped again. He bleated on and said "I never forget a face" and said he would follow me. He stopped at the lighhts ahead and half got out of the car, but the lights were green so he had to get back in. I got through the lights and there was a queue of traffic, so there was no chance of him following me. In case he doesn't forget a face though, I thought I'd make a note of his number plate.

I might re-spray the bike this weekend and start growing a goatee. Might change the commute time a little too. :?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Feltup wrote:
    Maybe Mr Serotta was just on his warm down phase?

The nicer weather is bringing out some prey at long last. I pulled out on to the A4 this morning and a couple of hundred yards back was someone going in my direction for a change. A few minutes down the road and he was merely a speck. I can't claim the point even though I binned him because I actually don't know for sure what he was riding but it appeared to be a roadie.

One day I will get to pass someone!

who cares what reason they have for running slower than you at that moment in time, all's fair in love and war :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp wrote:
    In case I'm taken out by an unidentified black 3 series convertible BMW near Richmond Park, can someone remember the number plate BK03 HOJ.

The aggressive little oik "driving" this car put his brakes on about 100 yards ahead of me this morning half way Priory Lane when I gave him the "Gareth Hunt magic the beans" hand signal after he'd passed me way too close, way too fast. He then drove alongside me as I rode up alongside and we had a bit of an exchange. He pointed out that there was a cycle lane etc etc and also seemed to say that the road was straight for a mile, which he was presumably using to justify him hammering it. I couldn't hear a lot of what he was saying because he was revving his engine, a comment which didn't seem to pacify him...

Anyway, he sped off ahead, and he stopped again. He bleated on and said "I never forget a face" and said he would follow me. He stopped at the lighhts ahead and half got out of the car, but the lights were green so he had to get back in. I got through the lights and there was a queue of traffic, so there was no chance of him following me. In case he doesn't forget a face though, I thought I'd make a note of his number plate.

I might re-spray the bike this weekend and start growing a goatee. Might change the commute time a little too. :?

What a c**t.

Doesn't seem very good at remembering speed limits though. Perhaps the local authority needs to paint them on face posters for him.

In related news, a commuting mate told me of this amusing incident: he's coming off a bridge to join the Embankment one morning, and in the course of turning right gets beeped by a moped behind him. He says "sod off", to which the moped rider says "you didn't look behind to see where I was. I'm a police officer."

Leaving aside the "why didn't you use your forward-pointing eyes instead of expecting me to use the ones in the back of my head" riposte, said mate and moped rider pull over. Mate (who's a solicitor) says "let's see your warrant card". Moped rider huffs and puffs, then pulls out a Met Police civilian staff identity card.

Mate laughs himself stupid. Moped rider insists for a bit he's a police officer (sells the pass by adding "and I know some police officers"). Mate tells him impersonating a police officer is a criminal offence; would he like to accompany mate to nearest policeman and explain himself.

More huffing and puffing, then moped rider gets on bike and rides off, muttering "I won't forget you." Bet you won't matey. It's hard to forget someone who's just humiliated you.

There's a lot of them out there. Don't let them get to you.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:
    Mate tells him impersonating a police officer is a criminal offence; would he like to accompany mate to nearest policeman and explain himself.

More huffing and puffing, then moped rider gets on bike and rides off, muttering "I won't forget you." Bet you won't matey. It's hard to forget someone who's just humiliated you.

:lol::lol:

@ CJ - don't let him worry you mate. Personally I'd report him to the police now, doubt anything else will happen but worth doing anyway.
  • cjcp

Jash - I suspect it's hot air/road rage, but I will be keeping an eye out for that number plate. Two things concern me about situations like this though: (i) the driver forcing me off the road, and (ii) knives or "adjusting sticks" they may be carrying with them in the car.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    @CJ Glad to here your OK, sounds like a right tw4t. I had some oik in a Merc toot me this morning as I approached the smallish roundabout before Dulwich Village. I was coming at it with some pace hoping not to stop and this kn0bhead goes right round (without the usual helpful indicator........) meaning I have to slam the brakes on!

Passenger window was down a bit but he (or his BF/mate) didn't respond to my "I am stopping!" remark which I guess should have been "Use your bl00dy indicators!!!"
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    BJUK - cheers, fella. "BF/Mate" - :lol::lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    This morning's ride in was a bit of a drudge, legs felt dead despite 4 day lay off ... until...

SCALP

I got caught by an roadie on a Cervelo S2 Head to toe in Ploughman Craven Team Kit (pink and blue, yuck!) with no luggage it put him 2 places above me in the FCN with my SS, Team kit and Courier bag.
    I let him go initially as he came past me like Jash on fire thinking "ahh well, dropped by a higher FCN no shame there" but he slowed, after he was only about 20 yards in front of me he dropped down to something that I felt was utterly manageable.
    I couldn't help myself, the taps started to open.
    I reeled him in with ease and sat on his tail wondering when to go for it, I already had a cadence higher than his and I realised that I had to go soon, there was a cross roads approaching (about 1/2 a mile ahead) at the bottom of a dip, ideally I'd have liked to have taken him at the bottom and let him lose momentum with every gearshift on the subsequent climb, but what if he turned off? A scalp opportunity passed up? I couldn't not do it!
    I pulled out and drew level, our eyes met as I gave a cheery "morning" and I could see defeat in his eyes, half way down the hill, legs ablur I checked for traffic and Mr Cervelo was well behind me, he could really have stayed with me but I think he'd blown himself chasing me down in the first place, properly dropped on a descent by a SSer riding 69 inches, he'll never forget this one. He either turned off or bailed out at the bottom of the dip.

I climbed the hill the otherside at warp speed, only grinding at the very last, looked back and saw empty road, huzzah!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    This morning's ride in was a bit of a drudge, legs felt dead despite 4 day lay off ... until...

SCALP

I got caught by an roadie on a Cervelo S2 Head to toe in Ploughman Craven Team Kit (pink and blue, yuck!) with no luggage it put him 2 places above me in the FCN with my SS, Team kit and Courier bag.
    I let him go initially as he came past me like Jash on fire thinking "ahh well, dropped by a higher FCN no shame there" but he slowed, after he was only about 20 yards in front of me he dropped down to something that I felt was utterly manageable.
    I reeled him in with ease and sat on his tail wondering when to go for it, I already had a cadence higher than his and I realised that I had to go soon, there was a cross roads approaching (about 1/2 a mile ahead) at the bottom of a dip, ideally I'd have liked to have taken him at the bottom and let him lose momentum with every gearshift on the subsequent climb, but what if he turned off? A scalp opportunity passed up? I couldn't not do it!
    I pulled out and drew level, our eyes met as I gave a cheery "morning" and I could see defeat in his eyes, half way down the hill, legs ablur I checked for traffic and Mr Cervelo was well behind me, he could really have stayed with me but I think he'd blown himself chasing me down in the first place, properly dropped on a descent by a SSer riding 69 inches, he'll never forget this one. He either turned off or bailed out at the bottom of the dip.

I climbed the hill the otherside at warp speed, only grinding at the very last, looked back and saw empty road, huzzah!

Oh, the shame!

If he's going for the pass, he has to make it stick. First thing you learn in SCR'ing 101.

He is, I hasten to add, atypical of Cervelo riders. I'm taking steps to have his bike stripped from him.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    Greg66 wrote:
    Mate tells him impersonating a police officer is a criminal offence; would he like to accompany mate to nearest policeman and explain himself.

@ CJ - don't let him worry you mate. Personally I'd report him to the police now, doubt anything else will happen but worth doing anyway.

I'd report him too, what a little to$$er. At the very least he might get some old bill round to shake him up a bit.
  • attica
    My SSer is only holding together thanks to the more stubborn bits of rust, this winter and the gritters really have killed it in a very short space of time.
    Can I have his Cervelo? I promise to look after it and to do it justice in The Game
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Attica wrote:
    My SSer is only holding together thanks to the more stubborn bits of rust, this winter and the gritters really have killed it in a very short space of time.
    Can I have his Cervelo? I promise to look after it and to do it justice in The Game

Certainly - I personally have no problem with that - he obviously doesn't desrve to own one

Some twonk in a camper van hooted at me this morning - I'm in the righthand lane of a oneway street and having signalled about to turn right - gave him the finger :twisted:
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    Attica wrote:

SCALP

Oh, the shame!

If he's going for the pass, he has to make it stick. First thing you learn in SCR'ing 101.

He is, I hasten to add, atypical of Cervelo riders. I'm taking steps to have his bike stripped from him.

Indeed. Got to make it stick. Especially if you're wearing a pink and blue kit (that one falls into the love it or hate it category. Pink handlebar tape too :shock: ) and you're on a Cervelo.

Good work, Mr Attica. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:

Yes, yes you can in fact why don't you pop out now and order one :D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Roastiecp wrote:
    I hardly use my big ring in town (and that is with a 50/34 on my workhorse). The 34 with an 11-25 cassette is good for 25mph/40km/h at around 110rpm (34x12) - so good for a 35-40km/h cruising range.

Don't you go through a few chains and cassettes doing that? Small ring to second smallest sprocket = a lot of chain angle.
    Not unduly, no. I tend to replace the chain and cassette once a year - so call it 4-6000km. Good quality and regular lube (Finish Line ... erm, wet mucky conditions stuff), and decent quality bits (KMC X9-L chain and IIRC a 105 cassette) and the drivetrain stays pretty sweet.

A lot of my commute (and indeed my previous commute) was stop-start - so I'm not always on the 12. Plus, the bike does a fair bit of touring - and fully loaded I tend to spend much less time on the right hand side of the cassette.

When I'm on the big ring, I find the chain is crossed the other way, using the 50x23 when negotiating the stop start - which seems to dominate my route. And I only really use the big ring on nice, long, clear stretches where I can really open the taps properly, or when I get a wicked SCR that needs proper speed; these opportunities are fairly rare.

ps. When the missus does see my bike in the passage left on teh big ring, she usually says something like "Been having fun?" :)
  • il_principe
    Attica wrote:

SCALP

Chapeau sir.
  • itboffin
    Attica your scalp this morning reminded me of an early perhaps even the first ITB scalp long before I even knew what SCR was.

You remember the little lane winding up to rapid s-bend downhill on ML, well way way back in time I was on my way to a friends house via that route when in the distance I spot three roadies clearly in club kit, i'm riding the hybrid wearing a t-shirt and 3/4 MTB shorts (not padded :shock: ) before you know it i'm right behind them and unsure of what to do, do I whizz passed only to the shot down in flames seconds later? or hang back until the top when they're bound to speed up?

After a couple of minutes sitting close behind I realise that this mini peloton has a handicap one of the trio whilst perfectly kitted out would have been better off walking :lol: my speed was now dropping below double digits, screw this i'm going for it, I swing out right, drop and couple of sprockets and make the move, not cool or clam for one second it was a hot day and i'd worked up quite a sweat getting that far anyway i'm past and waiting for the shame parade to breeze past and sec but no nothing, I look back and they're not gaining but I could clearly see two very pissed off roadies - taken by a casual hybrid :lol:

All the gear, no idea :wink:

I guess that was "First Blood" for me :twisted:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Attica - Excellent scalp, I think he should have given you his Cervelo for that!

ITB - Sounds like a great first time scalping, I fondly remember that section of the loop as I was riding the brakes through that S bend! Didn't it straighten out after that but still have a nice drop? I'd have dumped em rotten if they weren't gonna play ball on that section :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    Have a belated "chapeau" for that one ITB.

BTW no-one's mentioned it but you certainly have improved your form between HOTA and the Marlboro loop - did we have to smoke Marlboro Red though?

Double chapeau!

How's the job hunt going? Having work to go to certainly gets in the way of a good bike ride and is sure to slow you down. I'll breathe a sigh of relief when that happens
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    Attica - Excellent scalp, I think he should have given you his Cervelo for that!

ITB - Sounds like a great first time scalping, I fondly remember that section of the loop as I was riding the brakes through that S bend! Didn't it straighten out after that but still have a nice drop? I'd have dumped em rotten if they weren't gonna play ball on that section :-D

I was history by then :D

@DDD you'll be pleased to note the Dolan CX is now on the road, this mornings fettling session has seen to that, I did have panic moment early, riding to the end of the road to test the gear indexing realising I hadn't connected the brakes and there's a car coming my way :lol: :?

If the weather holds out I might even go for a cheeky little ride.
  • attica
    See my previous post, ITB you're riding as much as some pros at the moment
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:
    See my previous post, ITB you're riding as much as some pros at the moment

Many thanks I'm trying to get to a base of 200 miles a week and if possible 250 in the summer. Job hunting is sloooow very sloooow :(
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Seems ITB didn't get away cleanly from his no-brakes mishap..........here's my high power satelite imagery of the incident:

_39327153_crash2_get.jpg

Thankfully he looks ok :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    I just took some video footage of an apache helicopter that buzzes the village everyday, I seem to have their attention now :lol:
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:
    I just took some video footage of an apache helicopter that buzzes the village everyday, I seem to have their attention now :lol:

If you really want their attention get hold of a laser distance measure thingy, like the ones from gunsights and see how far away the apache is from you.

According to an army mate, that makes the computer think the Apache is under attack, and it responds accordingly... :shock:

Would be a cool video :twisted:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    itboffin wrote:

If you really want their attention get hold of a laser distance measure thingy, like the ones from gunsights and see how far away the apache is from you.

According to an army mate, that makes the computer think the Apache is under attack, and it responds accordingly... :shock:

If you do this and the worse should happen..........can I have the Dolan? ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

funny you should mention that I happen to have a couple of lasers trouble is they're attached to weapons, so I won't be pointing those at anyone :lol:
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

funny you should mention that I happen to have a couple of lasers trouble is they're attached to weapons, so I won't be pointing those at anyone :lol:

:shock: There's a headline in there somewhere!
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

:shock: There's a headline in there somewhere!

Attach it to the video camera. Job's a good'un. :twisted: