Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    On the squadra today a quick tweak to the saddle position after yesterdays pathetic commute.. well it seemed that way anyways..

Still early on the commute and a fixed chap pulls on to the road ahead of me, way out here I’m impressed, he’s not slow either, but I have time and space to size him up and breeze past.. after a while I stop at some traffic lights allowing peds to cross, he flies through in front of the peds…tw@t I start to catch him up again flogging myself in the process and then he turns off… feck.

As I get to the business end of the journey Deptford –> tower bridge I’m cruising nicely and my spidersense goes off and I’m done by a bloke on his tribars crouched like a time trialist and giving it big power… chapeau, I crank it up a notch and stay in touch we both then start to pass more roadies than you can shake a stick at including a mini peloton of 5 of them…sweet. Even ditched a guy with more rapha on than me :lol: I can’t quite catch tribars though as the wind is taxing me enough to know if I got to him I’d probably crumble as I got level… I’m going to bide my time

We get to the sprint lights as I like to think of them and wait, a few numpties bimble through… We’re off and I’m ahead of him and keep him at bay for quite a while, I slow on the approach to tower bridge and he goes past.

I reckon I nailed double figures today and only got taken by someone who’s higher up the list… still irked me though.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Impressive work CP your a one man (or woman) killing machine out there :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I have a rendezvous with death.
    At some disputed barricade in some foreign land.
    It may be that he shall take my hand.
    And lead me into his dark land.
    And I shall clench my fist and quench my breath.
    I have a rendezvous with death.
    And I am true to my pledged word.
    I shall not fail my rendezvous.

I said the above to myself this morning before I set off for work. Ankle still a worry. I set off to work at 8.37am
    “World! Know me and know Fear!”

Bottom of the road and turning onto the main road towards South Wimbledon, past Jen J’s road (“Hi Jen” I find myself saying every time I pass it…). I realise the power is back in my right leg. With all the lights green I make it to Colliers Wood in two minutes and I realise I’m channelling the ‘Power of Marlborough’ along with the ‘Power of DDD’!
    “Donnovan, go forth Herald my rage!

Tooting – Balham drag strip and I get chatting to another roadie on a Trek about the Hybrid that just RLJ’d… I joke that he was just trying to race and the Roadie explains that he politely gave him a draft… we chuckle and pelt down the drag strip. I’m holding back as my front crank seems to slip during its rotation and I’m worried that when I start off the bike feels stiffer than normal but then goes really fast after a couple of pedals. This still doesn’t stop me overtaking the roadie.
    “Here me roar!”

At the lights I investigate my rear cassette. I conclude that the only reason the bike feels stiffer than normal is because I’m riding 1 - 2 gears higher than I was the week before! I’m getting stronger. With the lights green I enjoy this in all its might, glory, passion and pleasure. I’m simply flying down the road. I start singing “cool rider” from Grease 2!

I got to work at 9.07am, 20mins. :shock: I’m not 100%, my lungs/throat feel grotty after all that cold weather, the ankle isn’t right and my bag was heavier than normal.

Back on the bike. Beware!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Clever Pun wrote:
    On the squadra today .

That is a lovely bike, I am very jealous.

In the car today due to Dog logistics, working until midnight last night and having to pick up a big parcel at lunch for my wife.......I am a sad panda :-(. Can confidently say that I am a rubbish driver though - been at least 3 months since I drove the car (and a week since I last fixed it).
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Impressive work CP your a one man (or woman) killing machine out there :D

the other guy was leading the way and forcing my pace...

woman? what are you trying to say Dale?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    You know what Shoulder of Orion...

Chapeau!

I take my helmet off to you sir!

hope you meet us at the next Mopeth drinks (if I can make it)

What steed are you riding sir?

(You make me want to return from injury early and lay waste to my commute!)

Thanks. My first "Chapeau", I think I'll add that to my collection of scalps.

I'm on the Trek 1.5 which I bought along with ~£300 worth of kit with the CTW scheme about 3 weeks ago.

I'll try and make the next drinks evening, but I think you guys do that on Friday's? I normally have to pick up at least one of the little people then, so a weeknight would suit me better, (but I may be able to get a special weekend pass once if I apply in triplicate giving at least 4 weeks notice :wink: )
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    S.o.O - Sounds like you have to deal with the same events commitee that I apply to :-)

CP - Excellent work there chap, we have come to expect nothing less really :-)

DDD - Glad to hear your back on the bike, when I got up this morning the beeb was reporting travel could be difficult as the entire Overground Network was KO'd due to over-running engineering works! Seemed to have been sorted in the following half hour, thank god for that as I had fears of a repeat of the rail strikes last year where the whole world and his dog took to 2 wheeled transport meaning making any decent progress from lights was a knightmare!!!

Had a few hybrid and MTB types trying to give it large this morning, some definite "trying" away from the lights! Bless em! One day they'll get a bike better suited to the job :-)

Had to avoid some stupid old bint who wasn't looking as she crossed the road near Russell Square, just ambles out around the cars looking UP the road and didn't even seem to acknowledge either me or the older gent on the folder yelling at her to pay more attention! Hats off to the folder guy tho as he did let me go ahead as I was filtering, much appreciated and I managed to keep some momentum :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Nice clean bus scalp this morning. Picked up the bus just before crossing London Bridge (heading North) - it was fair - the bus had a rolling start, I was filtering slowly. Past the bus all was clear. Expecting the bus to need to stop (as they usually do), I moved to pass the bus on the right - only to have the bus move right to pass another stationary bendy at the bus stop. Time for a little more speed - game on.

Black cab driver's face said it all - he was clearly annoyed I'd taken to the right hand lane and would slow him up 2s getting to his doughnut stop - I guess he expected I'd never pass the bendy. So I opened the little tin of whoopass I always carry in my back pocket :wink:, and accelerated past the bus, clocked a rather surprised looking bus driver as I nipped in front and pulled away and also spotted an even more infuriated cabbie who was still stuck behind the tail of the bendy.

I must say that by the "crest" of the bridge my lungs were on fire, but it was worth it just to see that I had >50m or on the bus with the cab only just getting by. I could just sit up and practically roll to the lights at Monument with not a breath of traffic around me. :)
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Roastiecp wrote:
    Nice clean bus scalp this morning. Picked up the bus just before crossing London Bridge (heading North) - it was fair - the bus had a rolling start, I was filtering slowly. Past the bus all was clear. Expecting the bus to need to stop (as they usually do), I moved to pass the bus on the right - only to have the bus move right to pass another stationary bendy at the bus stop. Time for a little more speed - game on.

Black cab driver's face said it all - he was clearly annoyed I'd taken to the right hand lane and would slow him up 2s getting to his doughnut stop - I guess he expected I'd never pass the bendy. So I opened the little tin of whoopass I always carry in my back pocket :wink:, and accelerated past the bus, clocked a rather surprised looking bus driver as I nipped in front and pulled away and also spotted an even more infuriated cabbie who was still stuck behind the tail of the bendy.

I must say that by the "crest" of the bridge my lungs were on fire, but it was worth it just to see that I had >50m or on the bus with the cab only just getting by. I could just sit up and practically roll to the lights at Monument with not a breath of traffic around me. :)

Yep, that bit's always good fun - bendy buses and taxis everywhere, together with the usual gaggle of cyclists. This morning a roadie with impressive thighs, but a poor grasp of SCR etiquette, barged through on the nearside and was 50 metres on to the bridge before I cleared the last of the buses and the gaggle. Made sure as I scalped him that I was sitting up, one handed, adjusting my earphones. Waiting at the Monument for an age when he came flying through the red lights. Muppet.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I used to love racing over London Bridge, it's a good one for the SCRing! Especially once you get to the Northern side as the traffic and wheather you chose to risk the bus lane or filter up with normal traffic can mean a big difference to if you get to line up opposite House of Fraser or sit sucking exhaust!!
    I've had a few good tussles over there when I'm working in that area!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, that bit's always good fun - bendy buses and taxis everywhere, together with the usual gaggle of cyclists. This morning a roadie with impressive thighs, but a poor grasp of SCR etiquette, barged through on the nearside and was 50 metres on to the bridge before I cleared the last of the buses and the gaggle. Made sure as I scalped him that I was sitting up, one handed, adjusting my earphones. Waiting at the Monument for an age when he came flying through the red lights. Muppet.

So, what's your route then? I thought you were a fellow Embankmenteer.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    I used to love racing over London Bridge, it's a good one for the SCRing! Especially once you get to the Northern side as the traffic and wheather you chose to risk the bus lane or filter up with normal traffic can mean a big difference to if you get to line up opposite House of Fraser or sit sucking exhaust!!
    I've had a few good tussles over there when I'm working in that area!

Recently started leaning to the left, as you've got two lanes to play with and don't need to slow down so much. I do have to end up in the right hand lane for Eastcheap which makes it more interesting all round :)
  • Christophe3967
    cjcp wrote:

So, what's your route then? I thought you were a fellow Embankmenteer.

Route varies, normally embankment on way home and both ways in Winter. Either way I cut over Lambeth Br then skirt around Waterloo and head up Stamford St and Southwark St. Still working out best options as changed jobs in Dec and now further over than I was. Any more and I'll be in Tower Hamlets :o
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Christophe, sounds like you need to end up roughly the same place as me! I need to head straight up towards Liverpool Street as I head for a place just behind the gherkin :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    Any more and I'll be in Tower Hamlets :o

:shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe, sounds like you need to end up roughly the same place as me! I need to head straight up towards Liverpool Street as I head for a place just behind the gherkin :-)

You're just round the corner. We're overlooking Tower Bridge and the Tower of London, so pretty cool really. Unfortunately there isn't enough room so we'll be moving soon :cry: everyone's waiting anxiously to see just where that'll be. And a few of us are waiting to see if we'll still have secure cycle parking and showers. But hey, we have jobs, so keeping a sense of a perspective. :)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    The place that I worked at did have secure cycle parking, but as I didn't OK with it security I couldn't use it :-( As I'm only there when our regular site guy is off it seems like a lot of hassle, especially considering I leave it just outside the loading bay under a CCTV camera and chained to the railings instead!

They also have a shower and even a dryer (as I found out one wet morning!) helpful for drying kit out during the day and ensuring you have dry or even toasty warm shorts to wear home :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    GOOD LORD!!!!!

We'd slipped to page 2!!!!

Quick question........did anyone else heading south this evening find it rather easy going? I thought there might have been a tailwind as I positively f-l-e-w over Waterloo Bridge this evening! Helped by the fact that I think I'm gonna try and mix some intervals into my commute so I have some balls out (metaphorically) sprints between some traffic lights/over bridges etc.

Anyhow after coving the entire bus lane of Waterloo Bridge with a thick lashing of awesome I caught up with a rather interesting and promising looking chappie on a Cannondale with a gorgeous set of aero handlebars with tri-bars on!! Excellent I thought as I know the road opens up ahead and I felt like I was firing on all cyclinders, this could be interesting!!!

Alas tho it wasn't to be, he started by semi RLJing the lights at The Cut then just didn't put up a decent fight. His bike and the lycra seemed to suggest serious cyclist, although the "pollution" mask thing he was wearing did look a bit off.........I lost him somewhere on the approach to E&C, not sure if he made the lights!

Despatched another roadie a bit later on through Dulwich Village, he was aboard a rather nice looking bike but I'm sure it had "Python" on the downtube........I think he followed me up the hill towards Crystal Palace but as I got to the roundabout his flashing lights where no where to be seen behind me :-)

Not expecting much action tomorrow morning as I'm on a 8am start, which means leaving the house at 7am :shock: This does however mean I can complete one of my first homeward bound commutes from town without the use of my lights which will be quite novel!

EDIT TO ADD:

The facebook group now has over 300 members :-) Now we just need to get 196 more SCRer's to register and we can break the 500 mark!!!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • do i get another point if i drop someone a second time after they RLJ?
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Bassjunkieuk
    do i get another point if i drop someone a second time after they RLJ?

Isn't the smug sense of satisfaction you get from knowing that you are faster then them DESPITE them RLJing enough? Nope I didn't think so either!!

I think we only count unique scalps for scoring purposes tho........repeatedly claiming points of an obviously slower rider just isn't cricket!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • do i get another point if i drop someone a second time after they RLJ?

Isn't the smug sense of satisfaction you get from knowing that you are faster then them DESPITE them RLJing enough? Nope I didn't think so either!!

I think we only count unique scalps for scoring purposes tho........repeatedly claiming points of an obviously slower rider just isn't cricket!

actually did make me really smug & made me drop him even quicker second time

oh only 2-0 then tonight for me
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • cjcp
    Drafting fairies out in force tonight. Didn't have the manners to say "thanks" either. :roll:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Drafting fairies out in force tonight. Didn't have the manners to say "thanks" either. :roll:

CJ, Maybe your souplesse wasn't quite on the money tonight, hell you can't please these ignorant peasants anytime.
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Christophe3967
    No drafting fairies for me - last through the VB lights so a clear run with no worries about following traffic fighting for space. Scalps all over the place, 3 maybe 4 fixed / SS having their own private competition, a Langster, a pretty Bianchi and a Condor. Before I knew it I had a roadie in my sights - Cyclefit gear from head to toe, with white Sidis. I breezed past him, checked the bike - sure enough, a Serotta. Cool, but surely he's not trying, and as we cruise up to the lights at Battersea Br he takes the nearside lane and I take the outside. The bike is an Ottrot I think, but I can't make out if he's on the big ring or not. He goes on amber and traffic stops me from making ground until Cheyne Walk, when I pass again. Sure enough he's on the small ring , so no moral scalp for me. :cry: Why do people do that???
  • cjcp
    No drafting fairies for me - last through the VB lights so a clear run with no worries about following traffic fighting for space. Scalps all over the place, 3 maybe 4 fixed / SS having their own private competition, a Langster, a pretty Bianchi and a Condor. Before I knew it I had a roadie in my sights - Cyclefit gear from head to toe, with white Sidis. I breezed past him, checked the bike - sure enough, a Serotta. Cool, but surely he's not trying, and as we cruise up to the lights at Battersea Br he takes the nearside lane and I take the outside. The bike is an Ottrot I think, but I can't make out if he's on the big ring or not. He goes on amber and traffic stops me from making ground until Cheyne Walk, when I pass again. Sure enough he's on the small ring , so no moral scalp for me. :cry: Why do people do that???

A Serotta? Nice commuter.

You have to be careful of some Small Ringers. Some look as if they race and are doing some crazy spinning session. If not, then I don't think he has an excuse. It's like driving a Ferrari in the inside lane of the motorway: it just looks wrong.

DD - I haven't been on the money all week. I eased past a few in DSC, but this one SS made a point of latching on after Battersea Bridge. That said, he was quick.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    cjcp wrote:
    Sure enough he's on the small ring , so no moral scalp for me.
    You have to be careful of some Small Ringers.
    I hardly use my big ring in town (and that is with a 50/34 on my workhorse). The 34 with an 11-25 cassette is good for 25mph/40km/h at around 110rpm (34x12) - so good for a 35-40km/h cruising range.

So unless the scalpee is particularly quick (which is fairly rare), my big ring has little use.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Roastiecp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I hardly use my big ring in town (and that is with a 50/34 on my workhorse). The 34 with an 11-25 cassette is good for 25mph/40km/h at around 110rpm (34x12) - so good for a 35-40km/h cruising range.

So unless the scalpee is particularly quick (which is fairly rare), my big ring has little use.

I only ever use my 34 going up hills, otherwise I'm in 50 all the time (no choice in the commute of course, running a 50/16 SS)

Some fool on a hybrid tried to race me last night, took him once - he pushes past at the lights and nails it* on green, I sail past him, next lights he does it again, I sprint past him. Didn't see him again, hope he learnt his lesson.

*in his mind
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Maybe Mr Serotta was just on his warm down phase?

The nicer weather is bringing out some prey at long last. I pulled out on to the A4 this morning and a couple of hundred yards back was someone going in my direction for a change. A few minutes down the road and he was merely a speck. I can't claim the point even though I binned him because I actually don't know for sure what he was riding but it appeared to be a roadie.

One day I will get to pass someone!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Roastiecp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Whilst I dream about my next steed I often wonder if I could get by on a double. Having the triple on my SCR makes some of the sharper hills I encounter around Crystal Palace a nice easy in the saddle affair. Running a 12-15 at the rear I find I can use my 42 ring to get decent speed and then jump to the big ring (52) when I get a nice hill to come down or want some good flat ground speeed :-D
    I've contemplated a compact (50/34 would probably suit me) and then use it similar to JA where I'd only use the little ring for climbing. I think I'd have to fiddle with Sheldons GI calculator to check I have a suitable range of gears and failing that I'd just have to MTFU!

Not a bean on my early doors commute this morning, although with the lighter traffic and reduced red lights I did save about 5 or 10 minutes on my journey and managed to keep my average above 16mph! Not bad for a South-North ride across town :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp wrote:
    A Serotta? Nice commuter.

You have to be careful of some Small Ringers. Some look as if they race and are doing some crazy spinning session. If not, then I don't think he has an excuse. It's like driving a Ferrari in the inside lane of the motorway: it just looks wrong.

I dunno. Some people waste some crazy-sweet bling on commuting. I just don't get it :wink:

Lycra'd roadies on the small ring I always put down to crazy spinning training sessions. That's fine - if they want to do that outdoors and not in the privacy and comfort of their own homes, good for them. They're still fair game though. You turn up to a fight with one hand tied behind your back - don't complain about losing.
    Roastiecp wrote:

Don't you go through a few chains and cassettes doing that? Small ring to second smallest sprocket = a lot of chain angle.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A