Silly commuting racing

Comments

• linsen wrote:
    hahahahaha you lot don't know me at all do you?

:wink:

Boys, out and play in the playground. "Miss" has suckerpunched you two baaaddd!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Right, its ok now, you guys can come out of the woodwork. The s_x crazed DDD is going home.

@LiT will try and sneak a PM when I get home.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Just about to set off for the rain - I am the 30th floor and I get a fab view of the weather from my perch - looks nasty going my way

DDD - I'm with you on the pedantic front (I type too fast and my spelling aint right good either), my comment was just to stop me being shot down in flames for my lack of accuracy, I wasn't having a go.

Fire up the burners...................................................................chocks away!!!!!
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Greg66 wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    hahahahaha you lot don't know me at all do you?

:wink:

Boys, out and play in the playground. "Miss" has suckerpunched you two baaaddd!

:lol::lol::lol:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Hang back behind lycra girl enjoying the view and as we roll up to the next set of lights, I pull out slightly to see what she looks like from the side. Lycra girl has side burns and a goatee. Feel even more sick than I did before I set off. You can never judge a book by it's rear cover. :oops:

I do sometimes wonder if this ever happens to me. I have long hair which I wrap up in a buff and allow to hang loose, 'cause my helmet doesn't fit right if I tie it.

I do confess that part of the reason I do it is that I read that, on average, drivers are less aggressive towards the ladies and give them more room when passing. Hopefully they're past by the time they notice the beard.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    :lol: I did catch myself returning a bystanders wave the other day. In my defence I was knackered and sort of forgot I was on a Turbo!

:shock:

Oh dear.... :lol::lol:

It's amazing what you can buy now to simulate riding outdoors. I haven't got much money so I have to do it the "old" way :P

I'm in training myself. Not sure what, but it's fun and I'm seeing improvements. A couple of weeks ago, on an amble home from work after leaving early, I went to Sefton Park and did a lap of the perimeter road (2.5 miles). God I felt lousy. Felt like I was riding through treacle and struggled on the hill that doesn't deserve to be called a hill. Still, I forced myself to do a 2nd lap then limped off home.

Last week, on the way from home again, I went back for another couple of laps. Still going a bit slower than what I'd have liked but didn't struggle like the last week. Did 3 laps then off home for pancakes.

Gave it another go tonight, and I was flying. Did four laps and even threw a few sprints in and blasted up the "hill" a couple of times until I was able to do it without changing down a gear or two. Scalped the same cyclist 3 times, and nearly scalped a learner driver too. Got held up by said learner driver, a scally biker with no lights, a few joggers stepping out into the road, and some traffic at the junctions - all of which bloody irritating. Got home, measured my long, meandering commute plus the laps and I got 23 miles. Quite an improvement on the usual 3-and-a-half :D

Looking forward to five laps next week, and I'll take the cycle computer this time.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Got dropped by a shaved roadie yesterday, Some teenage ninjas attempted a kung fu kick at me but even with a target as big as me they still missed lol

Not starting till lunch today so suspect that there will be no scaps out there today.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Although the threat isn't funny, those failed attempts do make me laugh as I ride on by. Trying to act hard, but failing miserably :lol:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Aaaaaaaaah well the last two commutes were in much better weather, eh?

Disappointing scalping action, both heading home last night and coming in this morning, but had a great sprint race on HSK.

I'm really enjoying these sprint races - the traffic on HSK seems to be resigned to its fate, and hangs back behind the cyclists apart from the occasional pr!ck in a Cayenne. They're making up for the distinct lack of roadies out on the roads on my commute.

In other news, I went to a different virgin active - the one in Acton - and they have a whole lot of new fun kit, including a bike riding computer game thing! It's great fun - you have to pedal and steer, racing people on the bikes next to you or racing the computer. I'm hoping that as I move up through the levels the computer/others will be able to keep up... it keeps telling me to slow down. Slow down? NEVER! :twisted:

My mother's receiving some award tonight... bad form to show up on a bike?
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959

What ARE you talking about? Just make sure the red carpet dress covers your bib shorts :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340

Is it a black tie affair? If it is I am not sure how you would tuck your meringue dress up inside your Montane Jacket? Otherwise you should be fine :wink:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Feltup
    Signs of roadie life this morning but all going the opposite direction to me. Still no one to race :( On the plus side I did the best trackstand I have ever done on my fixie, rock, rock, rock, rock, etc for a couple of minutes then full on sprint to make the gap in the traffic to get over Marlow Bridge. There are some white lines just before you hit the bridge and I know when I am putting down the awesome because my back tyre squeals as it crosses the lines - oh yeah!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • lost_in_thought
    Oh no, nothing fancy, some businesswoman thing, not black tie. Annoyingly I wore tights this morning rather than shorts... I might be able to lock up the bike near where it is then whip the tights off before anyone spots me...
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    I might be able to whip the tights off before anyone spots me...

Depends how much practice you've had :wink:
  • Feltup
    You are so classy :)

What is the award for? Must be an aviation thing?

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    practically the whole way in today with nothing of note whatsoever, I took a diversion to monmoth to pick up some coffee and managed to take a pearson douche and a roadie...phew

I got scalped last night... there i said it. a roadie did me fair and square as I was pondering along, I caught him up ready to deal the retribution but the traffic was heavy and I filtered past him and didn't see him again...balls
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    Feltup wrote:

Well people do tell me I sound posh... but that's all elocution lessons. You can take the girl out of Australia... ;)

It's an aussie businesswoman thing. I'm not sure really.
  • lost_in_thought
    Clever Pun wrote:
    practically the whole way in today with nothing of note whatsoever, I took a diversion to monmoth to pick up some coffee and managed to take a pearson douche and a roadie...phew

Sorry to hear about your scalp. I'm sure you'll get it back before long!
  • DonDaddyD

Will she be flying her own plane? You know, as one does when one wants to arrive promptly. Or will Jeeves be flying her by jet?

Be honest has your Mum or any family member ever flown to Waitrose? You do know what Waitrose is right? :wink:

See I said Waitrose and not Iceland, Lidl, Netto where I shop because Waitrose is posh to me.. in fact I've never lived in an area where a Waitrose is. I only see them in passing on my commute.... Oh how the highlife live :(

Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Feltup wrote:

Well people do tell me I sound posh... but that's all elocution lessons. You can take the girl out of Australia... but you can't take the big Australian out of the girl ;)

It's an aussie businesswoman thing. I'm not sure really.

Cleared that one up for ya.

And for my final roasting LiT's piece:
    I might be able to lock up the bike near where it is then whip the tights off before anyone spots me...

Do you hear that? Don_Don just gave birth!!!??? :shock:

Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

Sorry to hear about your scalp. I'm sure you'll get it back before long!

thanks and thanks
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:

2 things:

1: Oi! I hope that's a typo, it is Touche not Douche. :shock:
    2: Dammit must go to Monmouth today. Any recommendations, I was disappointed by the 2 Guatemala's I tried (Finca Entre Rios & Finca San Francisco). Any recommendations?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

2 things:

2: Dammit must go to Monmouth today. Any recommendations, I was disappointed by the 2 Guatemala's I tried (Finca Entre Rios & Finca San Francisco). Any recommendations?

Nope the D was intended I was wondering when you'd see it..

there's a medium roast columbian that's supposed to be rather nice according to the guy there, not tried it yet. If they have any left the organic Brazilian is rather nice

I sure I could have landed an innuendo on that sentence
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

2 things:

Nope the D was intended I was wondering when you'd see it..

there's a medium roast columbian that's supposed to be rather nice according to the guy there, not tried it yet. If they have any left the organic Brazilian is rather nice

I sure I could have landed an innuendo on that sentence

Room for at least a couple.

I'll see if I can have a taste of the Columbian, and a sniff of the Brazilian :?

Thought I heard my Touche radar ping.
  • DonDaddyD
    Today's commute. I had a Roadie that I couldn't shake and who battled me all along the Tooting/Balham drag strip... I think I lost... :( I can admit it I'm a big man.

Anway, and this harks back to Chris' post and links in Linsen's no gender theory.

Up Balham hill and about to hit the Clapham drag strip, I check the competition behind and there is a lycra'd roadie with tri bar's on a blue Trek with Ultegra (I know the sound of the crank now see :D ). I'm thinking clip-on tri bars a bit overkill isn't it.

Lights go Green and the Trek glides past me, I check out the riding style, good form, steady cadence smooth application of power... I use an opportunity of braking to get ahead and stay ahead. Soon the Trek takes me again slowly, due to the awesome power I'm laying down. As the The Trek is creeping up on my right I look over at the roadie and I'm on the boarder of thinking sh*t that's one fit looking girl or one devilishly attractive dude :shock: At the time I was praying its the former.

The Trek over takes me and I find myself checking out the legs, bum, spine, curve of the back, shoes and bike seat as I'm torn between whether I'm looking at one fit girl or my increasing liking for lycra shorts is turning me gay.

I pull up beside the Trek for one good long and last look, I couldn't decide so convinced myself the roadie was female. Though deep down I can't be sure. However, while I'm typing this I'm perplexed by two things:

a) Why didn't I check for boobs.
    b) At the time why didn't I think to check for boobs. :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    It's okay, DDD, everyone is essentially bisexual, just to differing degrees. There's no need to feel shame.
  • Clever Pun
    Room for at least a couple.

I'll see if I can have a taste of the Columbian, and a sniff of the Brazilian :?

Thought I heard my Douche radar ping.

just ask them, they are always more than happy to talk about it.

NOTICE: Whoever the MTB'er with tribars is that cycles from tower bridge to at least surrey quays you're a clown of the highest order... Also the fat ginger mtb'er rlj'er and general creeper through the lights... stop it you onerous tw@t

Normal service is resumed.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I pull up beside the Trek for one good long and last look, I couldn't decide so convinced myself the roadie was female. Though deep down I can't be sure. However, while I'm typing this I'm perplexed by two things:

Female roadies don't actually have boobs. Subconsciously you've understood this and so don't bother to look. Besides, there are so many other distractions and so little time.

My sins finally caught up with me this morning. After keeping my GF awake all night (sneezing, coughing etc) and refusing her kind suggestion to go and sleep in the spare room, she told me this morning, in that you-know- it's-for- your-own-good way they do, to take the train as I was in no state to cycle. As a result, I had a visit from the P Fairy within 5 minutes of leaving home. That's what happens when you ignore a woman's instructions.

Inner tubes appear to have gone up in price - £4.88 in Evans and they didn't even have any long stemmed. I'm going to start carrying two from now on :cry:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Message for Bass don't worry matey I have two spare rooms :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Message for Bass don't worry matey I have two spare rooms :shock:

Actually I was thinking of coming up on Sat eve now, can't you put Bass and DDD in the same room. :twisted: