Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Hot damn!

Aproach to Balham trainstation I pull up to the lights, a mountain bike (who spins like crazy) is lined up next to me and a dude on a new Bianchi B4P. Suddenly a Focus Varido Expert, Trek 1.2 (I think) and a Specialized also pull up in a line at the ASL.

Yip-ucking-eee I though!

Green.

Bam spinny Mountain bike pulls off, the Trek, Bianchi and Specialized is behind me and the Varido Expert is powering ahead.... I've had trouple with spinny Mountain Bike before - this guy spins a consistant 20+ mph endlessly, so we all must be over the 20mph mark.

I think about dropping the Mountain bike and going for the Focus. I open the taps and an astronomical amount of power is bestowed below me. I gun for the Focus and I'm winning, the lights ahead are green and I'm about to head into the sunse... but there is this stupid f*cking girl crossng the road not looking, I brake, brake and brake somemore and come to a complete stop with her directly infront of me...

The others zoom past at speed, bloody peds.

Ah yes, I've suffered too - sometimes the sheer frustration makes you want to invent a device for the handlebars - maybe a water cannon might work?
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Every time I commute in the rain I swear blind that I'm going to get around to getting some mudguards, then forget about it as soon as the weather clears up.

Was gunning for a guy on a hybrid today, but I took off my glasses to give them a wipe at the lights and couldn't get them back on under my buff and helmet without taking off my gloves. Then I stood funny trying to get my gloves back on and my right calf cramped up.

Sigh.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Overtook a car going up Millbank today :D

Ok, now the mini-rants:
    When will the roadworks on parliament square end. Gah! They've spread to the top of embankment too. Grr.
    The reworking of the cycle/shared path on upper thames street after blackfriars is now an accident waiting to happen: the curb is raised and after you turn you're heading directly heading for a barrier. Great work chaps
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Whoopedoo! Never seen so much prey in one go! Came off the roundabout onto Princes Ave this morning and, stretched ahead into the distance as far as the eye could see - cyclists! Six, maybe seven of them, all strung out.

Now, it's been curious the last couple of days. My legs feel like lumps of lead after a day walking in the Lake District on Sunday. I feel like a pensioner when it comes to walking up or down stairs. But on the bike I'm oozing power.

So, a few red traffic lights considered, I scalped three of this morning's peloton with perfect ease. It was so easy I don't think I'll even consider them scalps. Not that they were going slowly, just I felt no effort in passing them.

I was looking forward to getting the remaining few who were pushing it, especially the guy cruising along the middle of the two lanes (there's "primary position" and then there's "hogging the road"), but the junction of Upper Parliament St came too soon (no queue at the roadworks for once) and they all went their separate ways while I was stuck at the red light.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    mmmm raining light to heavy, winds gusting 50mph :shock: I've not been on a bike since Sat. now what do I do....?

A. MTFU go for an epic hilly ride
    B. Back to bed, there's always tomorrow
    C. Look out of the window whilst spend money I don't have @ wiggle
    D. It's almost opening time, why not have a quick sharpener

mmmm :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    mmmm raining light to heavy, winds gusting 50mph :shock: I've not been on a bike since Sat. now what do I do....?

A. MTFU go for an epic hilly ride
    B. Back to bed, there's always tomorrow
    C. Look out of the window whilst spend money I don't have @ wiggle
    D. It's almost opening time, why not have a quick sharpener

mmmm :roll:

C, then D, then B.

Save A for tomorrow.

Repeat tomorrow.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Well, I didn't make it round RP last night, but hey, there's always Wednesday.

In other news, I seemed to have the wind coming at me from every direction this morning, which was entertaining, but little prey around on the Uxbridge Road.

Got to HSK, however, and about 3 roadies and 2 SSers appeared from the Chiswick direction. I checked that none of them was Zuul (Blondie) and then started racing between the red lights. It was great fun... SPRINT... slow down... wait.... try to trackstand.... fail... jostle for position.... SPRINT! And we were all doing it. Whilst trying not to acknowledge that the others were.

Hilarious. :D
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Liv, if and when I get back on a bike I doubt I'll make it into double figures mph - I get breathless walking up stairs at the moment :(

Wotcha Snooks! Nice to have you back! Though one thing bothers me from your post:
    snooks wrote:
    So where have I been?..Well all in the snooks life has changed for the better [...]

Farewell Embankment, Farewell RP, Farewell Bolan Death Bridge, Farewell Col De Putney, Farewell evil head wind (hopefully)

I'm off to East London!, Hello Mile End Road, Hello Tower "hill", Hello a 4 mile shorter commute, Hello Southwark Bridge, HELLO Tail wind home!!!! Hurrah!

Does. Not. Compute.
  • itboffin
    I went for E. go for pathetic 8 mile flat ish ride turning around and coming home because it was too cold and windy.

I might just fettle for a while before proceeding to raid wiggle, mmmm carbon must have carbon :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    biondino wrote:
    Liv, if and when I get back on a bike I doubt I'll make it into double figures mph - I get breathless walking up stairs at the moment :(

What is this 'if'? If? WHEN!!

And you'll be fine :)

Also, yes, welcome back Snoooooooooks! Moving east to escape the headwind sounds like a full-on cop-out whatever excuses you have about girlfriends... ;)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    welcome back SNOOKS!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin wrote:
    I went for E. go for pathetic 8 mile flat ish ride turning around and coming home because it was too cold and windy.

:D:D:D:D
    itboffin wrote:
    I might just fettle for a while before proceeding to raid wiggle, mmmm carbon must have carbon :roll:

Yeah, because carbon helps with the wind and the cold. I read that on the internet somewhere. :P

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Well, I didn't make it round RP last night, but hey, there's always Wednesday.

In other news, I seemed to have the wind coming at me from every direction this morning, which was entertaining, but little prey around on the Uxbridge Road.

Got to HSK, however, and about 3 roadies and 2 SSers appeared from the Chiswick direction. I checked that none of them was Zuul (Blondie) and then started racing between the red lights. It was great fun... SPRINT... slow down... wait.... try to trackstand.... fail... jostle for position.... SPRINT! And we were all doing it. Whilst trying not to acknowledge that the others were.

Hilarious. :D

I feel so alone - overtook everything I saw (both of them!), did not stop, spoke to no-one, did not have to track stand and had no fun.......On a lighter note, I did do 36 miles this morning along the banks of the Severn Estuary in wind and rain.....probably do it again tonight and the rest of the week - Exmouth Exodus anyone? www.exmouthexodus.co.uk - I will be there and may single speed it if I can get the training in!

Getting annoyed with the fairweather bunch that have come out of their hibernation with the sole intention of being in my way..... and filling up my bike shed...Grrr, I fart in your general direction.

I still have not had a challenger, even though I have been on the fixie for the last 2 weeks....so alone....!!!
  • Oh yes. Welcome back Snooks.

Have you and Greg T been on an old duffers coach trip somewhere nice together? And what did you do with Victor Ludorum on said coach trip?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:
    Oh yes. Welcome back Snooks.

Have you and Greg T been on an old duffers coach trip somewhere nice together? And what did you do with Victor Ludorum on said coach trip?

They left him with DennisN, grumbling quietly about modernity.
  • itboffin
    Stares blankly into the blazing fire, swishes glass containing lone cube of ice, wipes slight trickle of drool from corner of mouth and says "Ah the war!", "Oh course I was very very drunk"
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg66 wrote:

Oh you have got to be fecking with me......

Hello everyone, Pot have you met Kettle? I think you've got a lot to discuss.

Even during my "right on the sauce" sabbatical I was compost memphis enough to recognise that you were crooked with your osteoporosis addled shagged back and scurvy or whatever.

I've heard that HRT is the way forward for menopausal old women like you, let me know how you get on but stop sending me your knitting patterns, thanks for the scarf though

You can park your Zimmer frame over by ITBs collection of old bikes - you'll fit right in.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Oh you have got to be fecking with me......

Hello everyone, Pot have you met Kettle? I think you've got a lot to discuss.

Even during my "right on the sauce" sabbatical I was compost memphis enough to recognise that you were crooked with your osteoporosis addled shagged back and scurvy or whatever.

I've heard that HRT is the way forward for menopausal old women like you, let me know how you get on but stop sending me your knitting patterns, thanks for the scarf though

You can park your Zimmer frame over by ITBs collection of old bikes - you'll fit right in.

I read this, and for some odd reason, an image of you, dressed as Catherine Tate, dressed as the old nan, shouting "What a fcuking liberty!" at your screen popped into my head.

You don't look bad as an old lady, btw. :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:
    You don't look bad as an old lady, btw

Visualisation........

I feel violated - but in a bad way.

Personally I have a thing for Jenny Agutter in "American Werewolf in London".....

I see a Bad Moon Rising etc etc.

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    HOT GREG ON GREG ACTION! ROLL UP LADIES AND GENTS!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    HOT GREG ON GREG ACTION! ROLL UP LADIES AND GENTS!

Where's the vomit "smiley" when you need it?
  • Just like old times.....

Any more adjusters anyone?
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    biondino wrote:
    Wotcha Snooks! Nice to have you back! Though one thing bothers me from your post:
    snooks wrote:
    So where have I been?..Well all in the snooks life has changed for the better [...]

Farewell Embankment, Farewell RP, Farewell Bolan Death Bridge, Farewell Col De Putney, Farewell evil head wind (hopefully)

I'm off to East London!, Hello Mile End Road, Hello Tower "hill", Hello a 4 mile shorter commute, Hello Southwark Bridge, HELLO Tail wind home!!!! Hurrah!

Does. Not. Compute.

Fair point, let me explain....OK West IS far better than east, and the surrey hills beat the Essex flats. But I've found a few road rides round the green stuff which look fun...and tho Richmond park is no longer on my door step, a few mins in the car and the joys of Epping forest await!!!

So although I'm off to the East of London, I am moving in with my lovely girlfriend. It means I'm no longer spending money on rent. Therefore we have quite a few hundred pounds extra a month. This could of course be spunked away on even more bikes, and shiny bits for bikes, but I have 4 bikes already so we've decide to buy a yacht instead!

This also mean I won't have to drive from East London to Southampton and back again in one day, I can stay on the yacht instead....SO it makes sense....honest!!! :D

@greg66 Old timer? OLD TIMER? Since when has 34 been an old timer? Just because you might just be able to pick something off the floor now, it doesn't mean your 20 years younger!!! :P

@everyone else, thanx It's good to be back :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    snooks wrote:
    I have 4 bikes already so we've decide to buy a yacht instead!

I dislike Snooks with a powerful and guttural intensity.

I'm considering my next major outlay - a bag of fish and chips on Friday.

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2009
    snooks wrote:
    This could of course be spunked away on even more bikes

Just for old times sake.... :wink:

Great to have you back!!!

@GregT, don't hate the playa, hate the game!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    Greg T wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    I have 4 bikes already so we've decide to buy a yacht instead!

I dislike Snooks with a powerful and guttural intensity.

I'm considering my next major outlay - a bag of fish and chips on Friday.

How, what!?! surely little Bianchi hasn't left you enough copper to accommodate such a slap up meal?

You're referring to the fish n chips flavour potato chips surely :wink:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    biondino wrote:

Indeed.

My brother lives near Pembroke and his local paper is full ofsimilar stories. And some realy freaky stories, which my google-fu is too weak to find.
  • Bit blowy tonight. Didn't notice it myself, but some of the other riders at VB lights were complaining about the Millbank wind tunnel

<cough cough>

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A