Silly commuting racing

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I can't help it if I'm a big, passionate, chocolately love machine!

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I have finally bonded with my Ultegra triple crank. I love it, I truly do. It's so smooth, full of torque and enjoys being pounded. It's wonderful and yet though I like a steady rhythm when the need demands it loves being spun hard.

Any one else picking up the Barry White vibe? :D:wink:

What, in every post DDD's ever made?* Has it taken you so long to notice?

*Apparently Mr White also hates pedants
    But, strangely, not pendants. Or should I say medallions?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    This morning I was lamenting the lack of action as I was coming into catford.. I hear the clackclack of campag freewheel as I filter through traffic, I choose to wait in the queue while 2 roadies zip past on the outside lane, I give chase and come up to speed after a while, these guys are shifting in their own personal battle. One mucks up at the lights and he’s gone I gain on the other and I think now’s my change just as soon as he signals to hit the cyclepath to turn off…feck

Onwards and all that and as I get towards surrey keys and hit traffic once again the roadie who mucked it at the lights is back… oooh good we nip along both rollocking a car for sitting in the cycle lane for no reason other than holding cyclists up, I then made my move and as I passed him and mentioned something to the effect of how that driver visits rosie palm and her five sisters a lot and sped off.

Oh and last night the superfit guy (triathalons, running the marathon sub 3hours etc) from work was cycling back the way I go I see him, he’s an ill equiped roadie essentilly with toestraps but no bag. He’s gone past me as I’m setting off from the lights I stay with him and then “say see you tomorrow” as I utterly destroyed him another roadie and one ss’er into the headwind. Got to say that felt awesome
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I quite enjoyed the squalls last night. Mainly because only hard-core cyclists were out. Keen followers of this thread will have noted that I had been complaining on Monday of a lack of SCR action on my commute. Monday night was another no score draw - no one passed, no one passed me, Tuesday morning, same.

Yesterday evening I was enjoying the wind and rain in a masochistic way - though I am sure it will get old very quickly if the poor weather keeps up. There was a geezer on a racer in front of me and I powered past him over Vauxhall bridge, but he had normal shoes and pedals. Drat! No dice.

On the other side of the bridge, there they were, two "proper rapid" SS bikes, one of them was one of those grey Lemond things and the other was some tarted up white custom job and in full lycra road shoes etc. At last, proper prey!

I overtook them both at speed as they had been stopped at the lights and the lights changed just as I got there - I know this doesn't count and I was a bit nervous of having them behind me and fully expected them both to pass me back. I got stuck in some traffic on the approach to Oval and they both went past me, great this is what I wanted, to have them in front where I could see them.

On the way round the Oval I simply powered past. I did not look back and put the massive down. There was no response at all from my SS friends and I suspect that they were couriers slinking back to Brixton, not trying and certainly not racing.

Do I care? Not a bit, scalps x2 for me.

Apologies for the long, on topic post btw, I have not yet gotten into the random banter yet...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep, last night was a bit hairy at times!

Now, I am feeling very pleased with myself this morning. Rode Alpe D'Huez this am, all 8.4 miles of it (8.2% av gradient) on the Turbo Trainer. Time was 1 hour 8 mins which isn't bad for 7am on a Wednesday in March. I plan to do it 1 a month and see how far I can get the times down. Hoping to get to JonGinge time and ideally head out and tackle it for real in late summer.

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with SCR but I'm chuffed with myself.

That's very impressive BUT dude :shock: WTF!!!! :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    Right, done the dishes, had a laugh at the lst 2 pages, going to bed. Hope the drumming rain I can hear on my kitchen roof stops before the gun goes off tomorrow ( or later today for the "pendants" amongst us. Sorry DDD but you gotta love em!
    JonGinge wrote:
    But, strangely, not pendants. Or should I say medallions?

How dare these cyclists challenge me with their primitive skills? It makes me angry. they're just as good as scalped.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Clever Pun wrote:
    This morning I was lamenting the lack of action

Me too. Rolled up at Waterloo Sta behind a guy on a hybrid in a reflective donkey jacket who was behind a girl on a Condor winter road bike. She was fully lycrad, Assos, Oakleys and Sidis with all the right curves from the rear end. Despite my cold the waft of tobacco fumes was unmistakable. Sizing up the situation quickly I realised that lycra girl was not responsible. The lights change, and by the time donkey jacket has had a quick drag and transferred his fag to his mouth, I'm past him. Hang back behind lycra girl enjoying the view and as we roll up to the next set of lights, I pull out slightly to see what she looks like from the side. Lycra girl has side burns and a goatee. Feel even more sick than I did before I set off. You can never judge a book by it's rear cover. :oops:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

Me too. Rolled up at Waterloo Sta behind a guy on a hybrid in a reflective donkey jacket who was behind a girl on a Condor winter road bike. She was fully lycrad, Assos, Oakleys and Sidis with all the right curves from the rear end. Despite my cold the waft of tobacco fumes was unmistakable. Sizing up the situation quickly I realised that lycra girl was not responsible. The lights change, and by the time donkey jacket has had a quick drag and transferred his fag to his mouth, I'm past him. Hang back behind lycra girl enjoying the view and as we roll up to the next set of lights, I pull out slightly to see what she looks like from the side. Lycra girl has side burns and a goatee. Feel even more sick than I did before I set off. You can never judge a book by it's rear cover. :oops:

:lol: I'm sure there are websites for that kinda thing...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    iain_j wrote:
    How the heck do you climb Alpe d'Huez (or any other mountain for that matter) on a turbo? Do you put a few bricks under the front of it to get the gradient?

With the wonder that is the Tacx Fortius trainer and Real Life Video! Turbo links to the PC, you climb to a film of the ascent - there are loads of DVD's to choose from with plenty of famous climbs, and the motor on the resistance unit adjusts according to gradient. It's fab but hard work. Even calculates power output as well. The data is at home but IU think I averaged 230 watts with a max of 580.

http://www.tacxvr.com/en/products/real-life-video

Love it.

Hmm. Sounds clever, but I bet the descents aren't as much fun as the real thing :P

(*pictures Jash in an aero-tuck on a stationary bike in front of the telly :lol: )
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    iain_j wrote:
    iain_j wrote:
    How the heck do you climb Alpe d'Huez (or any other mountain for that matter) on a turbo? Do you put a few bricks under the front of it to get the gradient?

With the wonder that is the Tacx Fortius trainer and Real Life Video! Turbo links to the PC, you climb to a film of the ascent - there are loads of DVD's to choose from with plenty of famous climbs, and the motor on the resistance unit adjusts according to gradient. It's fab but hard work. Even calculates power output as well. The data is at home but IU think I averaged 230 watts with a max of 580.

Love it.

Hmm. Sounds clever, but I bet the descents aren't as much fun as the real thing :P

(*pictures Jash in an aero-tuck on a stationary bike in front of the telly :lol: )

I bet he's even spray painted his name on a treadmill in front of where he's riding ;-)
    Also do the videos have the option to have crazy devil man chase you?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    iain_j wrote:
    iain_j wrote:

Love it.

:D! The newer model will actually simulate descents by spinning your wheel. TBH I use it for the "Real Life" DVD's and interval, hill reps etc. Not had it long but I'm loving being able to get good miles in despite these cold, wet and dark mornings!
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:

Laughed my a$$ off reading that one! I actually had to walk away from my desk, out of the office and finish laughing as it was too obvious I wasn't doing any work.

:lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I bet he's even spray painted his name on a treadmill in front of where he's riding ;-)

:lol::lol::lol:

It's a good job I'm by myself in the office this afternoon. I'd be getting funny looks if not.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Laughed my a$$ off reading that one! I actually had to walk away from my desk, out of the office and finish laughing as it was too obvious I wasn't doing any work.

:lol:

Come on I'm sure we've all done it but just haven't wanted to admit it. It can be very difficult during winter to discern between the sexes when they are fully suited up on a bike, I saw roll on summer and the lurvly ladies in lycra.............then all we have to watch for is those bl00dy laydeeboy shavers!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    iain_j wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

It's a good job I'm by myself in the office this afternoon. I'd be getting funny looks if not.

:lol: I did catch myself returning a bystanders wave the other day. In my defence I was knackered and sort of forgot I was on a Turbo!

:shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    Bass cycling usually isn't gender specific, what should have happened is that Chris should have scalped the roadie instead of getting visual jolly's...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Bass cycling usually isn't gender specific, what should have happened is that Chris should have scalped the roadie instead of getting visual jolly's...

I've scalped a few lycrad clad lovelies before and it's always a "hard" choice to make.......do you hang back and enjoy the view or do you up the cadence just an ickle bit and rip their lovely silky smooth scalp off as you fly past like diarrhoea of a teflon shovel........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    I can't draft behind the ladies anymore, even if I tried, my freewheel is too loud.... :cry:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I can't draft behind the ladies anymore, even if I tried, my freewheel is too loud.... :cry:

PEDAL? It'll be good practise! As long as your turning your lurvly new Ultegra cranks your freewheel won't engage so your free to perv, er sorry, follow her as long as you want ;-)

let this be a warning for you Linsen ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

PEDAL? It'll be good practise! As long as your turning your lurvly new Ultegra cranks your freewheel won't engage so your free to perv, er sorry, follow her as long as you want ;-)

I can imagine it, I'm all sweating, tired fighting to breath, sturggling to stay alive and in my ear is Linsen shouting "DDD stay the f*ck ahead of me!"

Pedalling isn't an option though, girls tend to ride slow... :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I can imagine it, I'm all sweating, tired fighting to breath, sturggling to stay alive and in my ear is Linsen shouting "DDD stay the f*ck ahead of me!"

You have a triple..........your lowest gearing is gonna be 30/32*26, that's like 1 crank revolution to turn the backwheel once! I'm sure somewhere amongst those 8 little gears you have access to when on the diddy ring you can find one that is slow enough to safely pedal behind any women, if they go much slower they'll topple over!

But yes I can now also just picture Linsen yelling at you to stay ahead of her......unless she wears some modesty trousers/leggings over the lycra ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    :roll:

note to self - bring baggy shorts and bandage up enormous cleavage
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You have a triple..........your lowest gearing is gonna be 30/32*26, that's like 1 crank revolution to turn the backwheel once! I'm sure somewhere amongst those 8 little gears you have access to when on the diddy ring you can find one that is slow enough to safely pedal behind any women, if they go much slower they'll topple over!

But yes I can now also just picture Linsen yelling at you to stay ahead of her......unless she wears some modesty trousers/leggings over the lycra ;-)

It would have to be one hell of a women for me to go down to th ickle ring.

Nope Linsen is all lycra, as she herself said. Her gender isn't a factor when she cycling....unless BoB is around... Hard core!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    linsen wrote:

I think DDD has some tips on this, what with his talk of wrapping himself in clingfilm..........;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    linsen wrote:

I think DDD has some tips on this, what with his talk of wrapping himself in clingfilm..........;-)

Hey BASS what I do in my bedroom is none of your busi.... oh, wait! You mean when I'm riding a bike... OH!

It's simply put wrap the clingfilm tight around the belly (for me the gut) and chest (for me the moobs) ride and sweat it out. If you don't have cling film cut holes for your arms and head in a bin liner and wear it like a vest. Also works if you need to sweat out colds...

Not practical if you're going to work and have no shower you will be sweaty.

(I won't be wearing clingfilm on the ML)
    Food Chain number = 4

• linsen
    I feel slightly objectified today :shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    edited March 2009
    linsen wrote:

Sorry Linsen, you are not an object... You are a powerful intelligent Woman who should be worshipped and celebrated. You are a Mother and a Wife loved and honoured in all ways that a woman should be. You are loved by your family and respected as you yourself conduct yourself with respect.

Don't let us common punks get to you.

<< Throws holy water on Bass >>

Do you know that that is an adapted sentence said to me by a - no joke - card carrying witch, or practioner of wicca who lived in America... oh the life I've lead.. :mrgreen:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    linsen wrote:

Sorry Linsen, you are not an object... You are a powerful intelligent Woman who should be worshipped and celebrated. You are a Mother and a Wife loved and honoured in all ways that a woman should be. You are loved by your family and respected as you yourself conduct yourself in a respectful way.

Don't let us common punks get to you.

+1

Sorry :-( Although I do object to being called common DDD!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    hahahahaha you lot don't know me at all do you?

:wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    linsen wrote:
    hahahahaha you lot don't know me at all do you?

:wink:

Oh, do tell.....
    Food Chain number = 4