Silly commuting racing

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    STOP TALKING ABOUT RIDING BIKES YOU INSENSITIVE BUGGERS

NO! :P

It's such a nice day, and I have precious little to do...

All I need is an excuse to go and cycle round Richmond Park instead of sitting at my desk thinking about cycling round Richmond Park.

Don't - I had such a good ride on Saturday, rolling hills, views of the sea, sun and traffic free roads. Not happy about being stuck at a desk today especially when it's the last decent one forecast for a while. What's more galling is that I fully intended to take a duvet day today in order to A: ride the bike and B: play Killzone 2. But no, I had a sodding meeting, so not only am I in the office, I couldn't cycle in either! At least I get to ride to Willesden later this evening.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    If I lived in London I would make jolly sure my commute involved a quick loop round RP on the way - what a lovely place. And I saw more girls on road bikes there yesterday than I have seen in my whole 17 years in Southampton.

Blondie - just stop looking at a forum on a website called "BIKEradar" for a bit - perhaps go to www.ifeelabitsorryformyself.com instead?

:wink:

PS you know I have every sympathy really - I couldn't ride today either :cry:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    biondino wrote:
    STOP TALKING ABOUT RIDING BIKES YOU INSENSITIVE BUGGERS

NO! :P

It's such a nice day, and I have precious little to do...

All I need is an excuse to go and cycle round Richmond Park instead of sitting at my desk thinking about cycling round Richmond Park.

Don't - I had such a good ride on Saturday, rolling hills, views of the sea, sun and traffic free roads. Not happy about being stuck at a desk today especially when it's the last decent one forecast for a while. What's more galling is that I fully intended to take a duvet day today in order to A: ride the bike and B: play Killzone 2. But no, I had a sodding meeting, so not only am I in the office, I couldn't cycle in either! At least I get to ride to Willesden later this evening.

I'm currently plotting an RP lap after dark on the way home... panniers and all! However, I have a meeting at 1700 (grrr) and am cooking this evening, so we shall see.

I want a duvet day! The lego joker's lego henchmen don't kill themselves, you know... :)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Der's girls on road bikes in Richmond Park :shock: :shock:

That's it, I'm not going to have to figure out how I can add RP to my commute and pop my RP virginity :wink:

Nice easy ride in this AM, saw a couple of roadies go by as I was walking the eldest to school and did have to restrain myself from yelling "You know the way from here!" and jumping on the bike to chase em down........shame as the first one was a proper stealth old guy, I only clocked his SPD's as I was paying a *bit* to much attention and the second was a fully lycrad up roadie!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe

I'm currently plotting an RP lap after dark on the way home... panniers and all! However, I have a meeting at 1700 (grrr) and am cooking this evening, so we shall see.

I want a duvet day! The lego joker's lego henchmen don't kill themselves, you know... :)

Sheesh, not completed Batman yet? How long have you been playing that game for?!
  • lost_in_thought

Sheesh, not completed Batman yet? How long have you been playing that game for?!

Well I got distracted from it after I found a copy of the Darkness which I forgot I had bought, so have dealt with that and now returned to the hilarious world of lego gotham.

I like RP on the weekend a lot - one of only a few places where a lot of cyclists regularly congregate, and you don't get funny looks for wearing lycra!
  • saw a couple of roadies go by as I was walking the eldest to school and did have to restrain myself from yelling "You know the way from here!" and jumping on the bike to chase em down........

That would have been simply awesome. No other word for it.

I'd have paid money to see that happen!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    is that possible of overtaken a roadie on a MTB?? before a find out the answer for this, im too :oops: to take part of this game....... :lol:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • il_principe

That's it, I'm not going to have to figure out how I can add RP to my commute and pop my RP virginity :wink:

Come on Bass, this is sacrilege. You live Sarf of the river and have a roadbike, there really is no excuse. Get thee to the park! It's just so much better than riding in the rest of London.
  • Bassjunkieuk

Come on Bass, this is sacrilege. You live Sarf of the river and have a roadbike, there really is no excuse. Get thee to the park! It's just so much better than riding in the rest of London.

I know I know..........I'm waiting on being posted down in Thames Ditton over the summer so with the longer days and warm evenings I *should* be able to get over there then. I almost went over there last Thursday afternoon, but wouldn't have got there, done a lap and got home to meet the wife and kids at school!

@G66: :lol: School is only a 5 minute walk and THE GAME is a tough mistress!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Bass you need to go to Richmond Park on the weekend...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:

:evil: I KNOW! For the love of god.......I'm seriously thinking about adding Merton, Wimbledon etc to our housing transfer request area just so I "might* be able to move closer :-)
    I'm hoping once it warms up I might be able to persuade the wife that it would be nice to take the kids (and my bike) to London's largest open space......I'm sure the kids will love looking at the deer.........and keeping count of how many laps daddy does :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    can't resist the opportunity to gloat..
    commuting in through richmond park was beautiful this morning.. the long shadows of the morning sun hitting the antlered deer as they meandered through the heather towards the glistening ponds etc.... :D
    t'was beautiful, shame i was panting and sweating throughout. :oops:
    Always in stealth mode
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

:evil: I KNOW! For the love of god.......I'm seriously thinking about adding Merton, Wimbledon etc to our housing transfer request area just so I "might* be able to move closer :-)
    I'm hoping once it warms up I might be able to persuade the wife that it would be nice to take the kids (and my bike) to London's largest open space......I'm sure the kids will love looking at the deer.........and keeping count of how many laps daddy does :-)

You should do, great transport, nice area (Wimbledon Broadway and Village), not many (I've only seen 1) '2 piece of chicken & chips for £2' shops, which means less riff raff.

Also when the Government goes bankrupt and starts selling off Council houses again, you'll benefit when/if you buy because of the area :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    HEHE, I actually quite like the amount of takeaways I have near my house, being just down the road from Selhurst Park footie stadium means I'm spoilt for choice :-) On the downside it does get stupid busy on match days.......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    HEHE, I actually quite like the amount of takeaways I have near my house, being just down the road from Selhurst Park footie stadium means I'm spoilt for choice :-) On the downside it does get stupid busy on match days.......

Words cannot express how much I miss Emek Kebab and the Tasty Jerk Chicken centre. But the footie urgh... couldn't deal with that.

Also if anyone knows a good Curry that does delivery in Wimbledon please let me know. Jen J, Biondino perhaps...?
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

I've never been, but then I'm in surrey

I am planning of getting over there at some point
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • linsen
    How about a large summer SCR gathering in RP when the summer actually arrives?

Note the optimism - I didn't say "if" :D
  • lost_in_thought
    linsen wrote:

I'm in!
  • linsen
    hmm maybe just maybe I will ride there........

77.6 miles :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    [Doffs cap]Afternoon GT[/doffs cap]

@GT Ah I see you've fallen foul to the same contractual clause as myself....

Marriage contract, appendix B, section 4a, paragraph 2 clearly states

The future Mrs xxxxx can/will on the news of successful impregnation hence forth and with immediate effect remove all privileges of a sexual nature until such time as further expansion is required or until said party (Mr xxxxx) has lost all interest / the will and or ability to care.

@SoO MTFU - clearly work is getting in the way of the Game, you should quit your current position ASAP and seek employment who's location provides you with more suitable prey. It's done wonders for me, whilst technically almost bankrupt we now have an almost inexhaustible supply of fuel for the fire in the form of final demands and unpaid bills, Mrs ITB is very proud :?

@Linsen - A hunting party in the park? great idea :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:

I hope you enjoyed the summer this year, winter starts tomorrow :evil:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    linsen wrote:
    hmm maybe just maybe I will ride there........

77.6 miles :shock:

Seems like a reasonable warm up.............

@ITB - The hunting party idea sounds like great fun, I can just imagine us all waiting in the bushes and leaping out and chasing down innocent cycles, laughing like maniacs as we whizz by yelling "SSSSCCCCAAAAALLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!"
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Hot damn!

Aproach to Balham trainstation I pull up to the lights, a mountain bike (who spins like crazy) is lined up next to me and a dude on a new Bianchi B4P. Suddenly a Focus Varido Expert, Trek 1.2 (I think) and a Specialized also pull up in a line at the ASL.

Yip-ucking-eee I though!

Green.

Bam spinny Mountain bike pulls off, the Trek, Bianchi and Specialized is behind me and the Varido Expert is powering ahead.... I've had trouple with spinny Mountain Bike before - this guy spins a consistant 20+ mph endlessly, so we all must be over the 20mph mark.

I think about dropping the Mountain bike and going for the Focus. I open the taps and an astronomical amount of power is bestowed below me. I gun for the Focus and I'm winning, the lights ahead are green and I'm about to head into the sunse... but there is this stupid f*cking girl crossng the road not looking, I brake, brake and brake somemore and come to a complete stop with her directly infront of me...

The others zoom past at speed, bloody peds.
    Food Chain number = 4

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Fellow brethren

Hello, Hello, hello, and one more for luck....HELLO!

I'm back, I vowed I wouldn't post again until I'd caught up with all the gossip...and what have I found out?

-No one missed me :( except Attica who wished me happy birthday, cheers fella :)
    -D3 and BJK mentioned me with reference to freewheel thanks guys!!!
    -The post numbering has changed WTF?
    -Cori and I share the same Birthday 14th of Jan if you want to add it to your diarys for next year, Happy belated birthday fellow Capricorn
    -Jen, Biondioninonono and LiT have all been injured...get well soon peeps...or in LiTs case, take it easy
    -There was a bit of snow (apparently)
    -Litts look dashing in a bit of tweed
    -Jash is still a tart
    -Greg T wasn't eaten by sharks downunder
    -Greg66 is back [Pun intended]
    -and a lot of new SCRs have joined the fold, welcome!

So where have I been?..Well all in the snooks life has changed for the better (except the cyclig side of things which has I'm afraid to say been non-existent, and I have the waist line to prove it)

Farewell Embankment, Farewell RP, Farewell Bolan Death Bridge, Farewell Col De Putney, Farewell evil head wind (hopefully)

I'm off to East London!, Hello Mile End Road, Hello Tower "hill", Hello a 4 mile shorter commute, Hello Southwark Bridge, HELLO Tail wind home!!!! Hurrah!

No I'm not moving to the east just to avoid the homeward headwind, I'm moving in with the GF. And I haven't been on my bike, cos my bikes have been the other side of London in Twickers. Also I've been working like a nutter...London Boat show, and while it was snowing in blighy I was testing yachts in -6 in Sweden (-12 at night). Been getting a light tan in Italy, and now I'm in the south of France for the rest of the week, staying next to a French version of the embankment, a nice long straight I can only look longingly at.

So inspite of my european travels and bikeless commuting I've been longing to get on the road again. I thought I was going to manage it last week, having moved one of my bikes over, only to realise I'd left my spd clad shoes behind..RSE,RSE and RSE again, I thought about buying some more shoes, but then I'd have to buy cleats etc etc, and I'd not going to be back until Saturday, so there seemed little point.

Anyway, it's taken me around 200 odd pages to catch up, and I won't leave it as long again...Have you any idea it takes to read 200 pages????

Good to "see" you all again

G
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    had some fun on the commute yesterday, No scalps (Or riders at all) but the GT was uber awesome, used middle ring all the way and made it in 29 mins (7 Miles) leaving in a second so will be on the look out for prey and im gonna stretch my legs in the big ring :D:D:D:D:D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Welcome back snooks! Looks like we finally have most of the SCR Old School back now :-D
    Asides from the lack of bikeage it sounds like you been having great fun, oh the glamorous life of the photographer!

GB - Excellent work, I'll try to avoid any GregT style jokes about "stretching" "legs" and "big ring"............DOH!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Dear oh dear all the fair weather SCRers are reappearing :evil:

Welcome back snooks at least you're still within the shadow of the Morpeth.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    snooks wrote:
    Have you any idea it takes to read 200 pages????
    G

6 hours and 46 minutes. We did miss you.