Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    cjcp wrote:
    Excellent! Another newcomer!

What's your commute?

:lol:

Not much.........been fairly quiet around these parts :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T wrote:
    Have I missed anything?

Hello little boy.

Are you lost? :P
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg T wrote:
    Have I missed anything?

No. Everyone - keep schtum. :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Pah!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Greg, all your landmark posts became worthless. Sorry about that.
  • Thank heavens for that - just got in from a few beers having a weekend in Cheltenham and the posts are 400 odd - time travel syndrome.

OK so it's not me then (was glad to see Gregg66's shock and horror - not to see him in the throes of woe but cos I wasn't seeing things). Computaas don't you just love em! (ok so its the programmers - I should know!)

DDD just for the record, and cos it has been bugging me over the weekend - I was a bit strong on the filtering thread and I was over the top.

Why here - cos you're more likely to see it here - I rather killed that thread. I felt you went in with shock and awe to what to me was seemingly honest and (not knowing your previous wrangle) mildly contraversial comment by me - but I over reacted.

We will lock horns again I am sure, but I will try and keep it a bit more professional.

Sorry to drag the rest of you through this but I need to purge the soul.

Was that Greg T a few posts back ..................................Has he got back on that bike of his????
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    biondino wrote:
    Greg, all your landmark posts became worthless. Sorry about that.

They were fairly worthless when I wrote them so I reckon in these times of rampant depreciation they have taken the 35% hit on the resale values of crap spouted on interweb and I'm saddled with the bubble payment on the remainder.

Such is life.

I'm just back from a Holiday down south in Aus.

Here's the thing, one morning of a weekend I'm tootling of to the shops to buy some Dingo steaks - it's 25 degrees and fierce sunny - 0800 in the morning on a Sunday.

A pair of carboned up lady boy roadies cruise down the road. They are wearing long sleeves. now I'm not talking about UV protective "that sun will crisp you up like a day old sandwich on the surface of the Sun" type long sleeves - we are talking 5 degrees and a biting Balkan wind and your thickest gloves long sleeves.

If I'd had access to a Brompton I'd have reamed them ragged......

I'm off the bike for teh day as I've got to get my Car MOTed so am dropping it off early doors this morning - hence the early posting (and jet lag - breakfast anyone - thai curry on your cornflakes etc etc)
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • lost_in_thought
    What a lovely morning!

Back in tights as the thermometer was only reading about 4 degrees, even wore gloves, but such a nice day! Not a great deal of scalping to report, had a bit of a duel with a guy on a red roadie, but that was it.

Spent the rest of the commute enjoying the sunshine!

GT - that was a long holiday! Welcome back...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm still slightly hung over from Sat night :?

I might have another rest day :roll: in fact given the weather forecasts for this week heavy rain, 47mph gusts and chance of snow- I might have a rest week.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I went the other way. Decided on SS Jersey, shorts and warmers this morning. Thought I'd made a mistake when I saw the frost on the lawn but carried on regardless. First couple of miles was a bit chiily but otherwise was just right :)

Had a POB incident through Putney. Guy turns onto Lower Richmond Road with nary a glance causing the roadie ahead of me to swerve outwards. Roadie must have said something coz POB starts effing and blinding. I am less than complimentary of his riding style as I pass causing more swearing and a chase (really funny coz he was very slow). He keeps on having an attempted go in traffic... :roll: Funnily enough he can't keep up across the bridge
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm still slightly hung over from Sat night :?

I might have another rest day :roll: in fact given the weather forecasts for this week heavy rain, 47mph gusts and chance of snow- I might have a rest week.
    Just call it a taper week before your Marlborough loop ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    quite a glut of scalps for me today 3 proper fixed types 2 roadies and 2 half @rsed SS'er but I'm not counting them...

really nice bright day if a little nippy at the start
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    Still not riding but reckon I'm only a few days away. Still hurts quite a lot breathing deeply.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    No action this morning but starting to really like these warm, sunny rides with just the last hints of a chilly breeze. It really cheers me up compared to those subzero dull grey mornings just a few weeks ago (feels a lot longer). I wasn't even bothered this morning that my legs were dead from a day walking in the Lake District yesterday.

Life is good 8)
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Saw one single solitary cyclist on my way in this morning, travelling in the opposite direction so no way to get my SCR on.

Seems a bit odd, since it was the nicest morning in a while and sufficiently bright that I felt quite safe without lights.
  • What a glorious day! There is no better feeling than speeding down the embankment in full sunshine on my new bike, thinking of all the schmucks on the tube...

Was a little late in today and did not see any potential marks or get passed at any point.

It's no fun taking the scalps of grannies, so I have decided to MTFU, shaved the bumfluff off my chin and will shortly invest in some lycra. So I will then be a dead flat FCN of 4/5 like the other roadies (I have pedals and shoes that look normal but are in fact SPDs - the calculator is a little vague here).

But I have realised that even in London the opportunities for true SCR are pretty rare. There are only a couple of stretches on my commute where I am likely to encounter other racers - between Camberwell and Oval - and along the Embankment, and even then spotting higher chainers is not that common.
  • Greg T
    But I have realised that even in London the opportunities for true SCR are pretty rare. There are only a couple of stretches on my commute where I am likely to encounter other racers - between Camberwell and Oval - and along the Embankment, and even then spotting higher chainers is not that common.

Eh?

The embankment is a travelator of carbon framed pain.........

Have things changed since I embarked on a two month gin fuelled bender?

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2009
    Greg T wrote:
    Have I missed anything?

Greg!!!!

Hey every one Greg's back!!!

<< Jumps around the office shouting Greg's back!!! >>

Nothing much has happened around here! Without your contribution everyday has been like an episode of 'Boring, where the pedants rule!' - "I'm sorry guys, it has". Some have tried to bring the funny and it has been funny, briefly, but rants have been stifled, sex doesn't exist anymore and even I'm beginning to question the moral righteousness of correctly using an 'disjunctive-pronoun' :roll:

In my blind frustration I have challenged Jash to a race.

Also, Lit found out she is a decendant of Achilles, a few people hooked up, some have gone cycling together, at least one pregnancy scare (Biondino and Greg66... :shock: we won't go into that...) oh and I made a fan club in your honour.... :oops: Bring back Greg T fanclub

Finally, Jash has bought some really effing nice wheels to go with his really effing nice bike that I will defeat in SCR combat. :twisted:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    Pendants?
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:
    Pendants?

:lol::lol::lol:

Beat me to it.
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Have I missed anything?

Greg!!!!

Nothing much has happened around here! Without your contribution everyday has been like an episode of 'Boring, where the pendants rule!' - "I'm sorry guys, it has". Some have tried to bring the funny and it has been funny, briefly, but rants have been stifled, sex doesn't exist anymore and even I'm beginning to question the moral righteousness of correctly using an 'disjunctive-pronoun' :roll:

Also, Lit found out she is a decendant of Achilles, a few people hooked up, some have gone cycling together, at least one pregnancy scare (Biondino and Greg66... :shock: we won't go into that...) oh and I made a fan club in your honour.... :oops:

Finally, Jash has bought some really effing nice wheels to go with his really effing nice bike that I will defeat in SCR combat. :twisted:
    I, for one, welcome our fashion accessory overlords.

Sorry DDD, had to be done ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    :lol: Still, podium is better than nowt.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg T
    DonDaddyD wrote:

1. sex doesn't exist anymore

2. few people hooked up,

3. Jash has bought some really effing nice wheels to go with his really effing nice bike that I will defeat in SCR combat. :twisted:

Triple D.

Mate,

1. I'm a married man with a six month old baby, sex for me pretty much ended back in sept 07. Feast and famine that's the married man's lot. Thank God for the internet and "privacy settings"

2. I knew it, as soon as I turn my back to gte really into the sauce for a couple of months everyone starts getting their nasty on - circle of trust and all that - who was it?

3. Jash has all the kit but at a solid 10 KG lighter than me would be first to be eaten if I had to resort to cannibalism on a Richmond park group run. At the end of the day I'd be stripping his femur whilst having a pint at the Roebuck.

It's a long game
    'disjunctive-pronoun'

That must sting when you get on your saddle, what does the quack say?

• Greg T- I think my problem is that I am travelling East to West down the Chelsea embankment from Vauxhall bridge. Most people on this thread seem to travel in the opposite direction and I think the true SCR carnage seems to occur on the Victoria embankment. I have only been back in the saddle for less than a week, so hopefully things will improve.

I found this thread whilst waiting for the new bike to show up and was LOL at the sheer genius of the first 50 pages and how the rules developed. At that point I had to stop for I was becoming a severe social retard and my career and marriage were in danger of being lost to this thread...

I think I had become a bit over-excited as to the possibilities of SCR and all the talk of the Embankment peloton had me thinking there would be mano-a-mano style combat of the Boonen vs Cavendish type (whilst outwardly showing a cavalier nonchalance obviously).
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    biondino wrote:
    Pendants?

Urgh!!!! Grrrrr!!! ARGHH!!!!

Its making a mistake of the point I'm trying prove that makes me hate life and everything in it. << Grumbles >>

@DD, no worries on the filtering thing.
    Horrible commute today, the bike felt all wrong, the seat dangled to the right slightly enough to frustrate but not enough to force me of the seat and adjust it. I hate that.

The brakes, rubbish.

The steering sketchy.

The gears sluggish and wrong.

The bottom bracket clicking.

I still scalped an SS, Roadie and left behind a guy on a Bianchi.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T- I think my problem is that I am travelling East to West down the Chelsea embankment from Vauxhall bridge.

Ah!

West London is a seething mass of Roadies of various flavours, the west - east morning run is a dog fight but East-West evening run is like the battle scene from the start of Gladiator but with more shouting.

Speaking about Gladiator.....

Oliver Reed - now there's a guy, being dead didn't stop him filming, or drinking probably, we can all learn from him.

• Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Have I missed anything?

Greg!!!!

Nothing much has happened around here! Without your contribution everyday has been like an episode of 'Boring, where the pendants rule!' - "I'm sorry guys, it has". Some have tried to bring the funny and it has been funny, briefly, but rants have been stifled, sex doesn't exist anymore and even I'm beginning to question the moral righteousness of correctly using an 'disjunctive-pronoun' :roll:

Also, Lit found out she is a decendant of Achilles, a few people hooked up, some have gone cycling together, at least one pregnancy scare (Biondino and Greg66... :shock: we won't go into that...) oh and I made a fan club in your honour.... :oops:

I, for one, welcome our fashion accessory overlords.

Sorry DDD, had to be done ;)

Good - an injection of pizazz just as spring approaches. Its been getting jaded here, just a few swinging pendants to while away the long office hours. :)

Monday morning blues reign. Took bike, with slipping chain, over to Pearson on Saturday to have the freewheel looked at, riding it over on the fixed. Had them put on a new 16T SS and chuffed to hit 52 kph coming back, admittedly along the dual carriageway with a bit of a run up coming down from Ewell to Tolworth .

This counted as “essential bike maintenance” rather than me having a 40 mile ride which gave me a pass out to play on Sunday morning, so annoyed to wake up full of cold, which kept me at home and still feeling rough today. Intended to work from home but couldn’t send emails, so rode in steadily (at first) fuelled by Beechams powders. Winter is back but a beautiful morning, so despite coughing and spluttering along the Uxbridge Road still managed 40ish getting up to 44 a few times.

Wondered what Bayswater Road, up to Notting Hill would be like on a 16T, but had the lights half way up against me and lots of traffic. Went over the top at just over 31 compared with 25 usually – must be the weight of mud they cleaned off on Saturday. Not much action – lots of RLJs and a quick blast over London Bridge against a Condor.

Pearsons had 3 very pretty all white Carbon Pro bikes with Daily Telegraph graphics awaiting collection, which the DT are using for the Windsor Tri – Cosmic Carbon wheels and Chorus 11 speed. Each one has the riders name – one was for Matt, the cartoonist. Its not fair - he gets to swan about the office, pretty girls at his beck and call, dashes off a few scribbles, heads for the nearest bar, adds a little more to the Barclay Brother's expense account AND gets £4 grands worth of free Carbon Pro bike with his name on it.
  • biondino
    STOP TALKING ABOUT RIDING BIKES YOU INSENSITIVE BUGGERS
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    biondino wrote:

I unreservedly apologise. Its going to rain for the rest of the week and the three hours I spent cleaning my bikes yesterday will have been wasted. Karma?
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:

NO! :P

It's such a nice day, and I have precious little to do...

All I need is an excuse to go and cycle round Richmond Park instead of sitting at my desk thinking about cycling round Richmond Park.