Silly commuting racing

Comments

• girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    It's cold here in the provinces and I'd a strange, there one minute-gone the next headwind that was becoming annoying this morning.

No scalps, but I did pass a studenty looking lady on a bright yellow, semi slicked MTB with drop bars. WTF? Home made tourer-alike job I think, but hardly a scalp as she was just bimbling along with a hoooj backpack that was almost rucksack like in its dimensions.

Providing I can crawl out of bed on Sunday morning, I'm planning a little jaunt on my new roadie :D The bike needs a shakedown cruise and I'm not sure what distance I've got in my legs, so it's an experimental 20 mile loop around some local villages and hills.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Bit wet this morning eh? I'm still trying to get my top and trousers dry for the ride home :-( Hopefully the important bit (the cycle shorts) should be dry by mid afternoon :-)

Good fun on the way in this morning, although I have realized my new brake blocks will beed adjusting as braking in the wet is taking a bit longer then I'm comfortable with!

That said I took a cautious approach to the few downhill sections I had and took full advantage on the flats to claim a few scalps along South Lambeth Road, even letting some of them get better position at the lights to increase the fun!

Picked up a another whilst riding into a MAHUSIVE headwind over Vauxhall Bridge (a quasi RLJer from earlier who did a blatant RLJ at Vauxhall X) I got past him with using his draft but he must have swung right over into the central bus lane and came back past as I was slowing for the traffic ahead (bus indicating right, car indicating left and me not wanting to end up in as the filling in that sandwich!) I did make the ground back up but he turned off VB Road just after Millbank Spice.........

Looking forward to the ride home as it's not meant to be raining this evening :-)

Your dedication to the cause is refreshing as always.

Our territory overlaps when are we going to do battle?

My journey was a lot more cautious this morning and yes, very wet - I don't have over shoes or waterproofs of anykind, it's 'hope' that is drying my clothes right now!

My commute was so slow I struggled to keep up with a Sirus (urgh) and along Clapham drag strip I got stuck behind a car and then a van and thena lorry. I near lost the will to live as I slowed from 17 to 9mph.

I was so out of form the critics will be wondering if I should hang up my SPD-sl's once and for all. :shock:

Never!!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Our territory overlaps when are we going to do battle?

the degree of overlap varies I think and could depend on where I am working........I think our best bet would be if I stick on the main road from Stockwell - Clapham - Balham and then possibly leave by Tooting Bec railway station to head back towards Streatham (last time I went that way I used the same road we come out off on the way to CC for the FW to get back to Streatham)

I might go this way home this evening, will make a pleasant change to the A23 but I haven't decided yet, guess I'll have to see which way my legs take me at Stockwell choob!
    So if you do get passed by a guy in a bright yellow jacket, do try and latch onto my wheel :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    In Helsinki at the minute, it's effing freezing, belting down snow to add to the 2 feet already on the ground, and there are a lot of people cycling home from work! Chapeau, Finland.

Also, is anyone beer-ing Friday?

EDIT: Or lemonade-ing... have just read the SCTS thread...

I could do... whining about lack of beer over a glass of wine.

Actually I'm allowed beer this weekend. :wink:

Beer this weekend? Is it your birthday too? Or just delayed temperance?

Any others for a beer this evening? I'm impartial, am on my way home, finally done with this week and could either go to pub or spend the evening acquainting myself with Lego Batman on the X-Box!

No birthday, the training regime starts monday. I'm currently massively hungover following a leaving do - however a lunch of Fuzzy's Grub and an hour tinkering with my MD's new Tricross SS has made me feel much better. He bought it while I was on hols. I'm delighted that my constant nagging and abuse of his hybrid has had an effect, wondering who to target next...

Oh and I hate cantilever brakes!
  • DonDaddyD
    if I stick on the main road from Stockwell - Clapham - Balham and then possibly leave by Tooting Bec railway station to head back towards Streatham (last time I went that way I used the same road we come out off on the way to CC for the FW to get back to Streatham)
    I don't see why this isn't your default route (today) the road surface is much nicer than the entire A23. The drag strips - leading in to clapham, lapham common and balham to tooting make it far more worthwhile.
    So if you do get passed by a guy in a bright yellow jacket, do try and latch onto my wheel :-D

I reckon in a short drag I'm faster than you.... :twisted: ....I surely generate more power 8)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    if I stick on the main road from Stockwell - Clapham - Balham and then possibly leave by Tooting Bec railway station to head back towards Streatham (last time I went that way I used the same road we come out off on the way to CC for the FW to get back to Streatham)
    I don't see why this isn't your default route (today) the road surface is much nicer than the entire A23. The drag strips - leading in to clapham, lapham common and balham to tooting make it far more worthwhile.

I reckon in a short drag I'm faster than you.... :twisted: ....I surely generate more power 8)

It's all about Power to Weight ratio though... go on fellas - have a race!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hey I may be around the 14-15stone range :shock: (seriously I don't understand it, ever since I started cycling and eating healthy I've put on weight) but I know that I've lost fat and gained muscle and am a lot stronger (wasn't exactly weak or born to be a small Man) than when I started this road cycling. 8)

I think I've found my calling. I may not be great at long distance or up a hill but over a short sprint (the irony is making my head explode) I think I'm pretty damn quick. :P

So yeah! How about you Jash, I reckon I could give the Prince a run for its money :roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    Indeed power to weight ratio is the key! And this is where my "compact" body comes into it's own being just over 10 stone means I have less mass to haul up to speed :-)
    Sprinting is certainly fun (coming from a former county sprint runner) but I'm also finding it fun to see what kind of hills I can get up now!

Maybe one evening if we can all get together for drinks we should do a drag along the Embankment? Of course this means we either need a quiet road or to race when it is quiet which means we'd all need to drink Cola (or another non-alcoholic drink) for about 2 hours first ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hey I may be around the 14-15stone range :shock: (seriously I don't understand it, ever since I started cycling and eating healthy I've put on weight) but I know that I've lost fat and gained muscle and am a lot stronger (wasn't exactly weak or born to be a small Man) than when I started this road cycling. 8)

I think I've found my calling. I may not be great at long distance or up a hill but over a short sprint (the irony is making my head explode) I think I'm pretty damn quick. :P

So yeah! How about you Jash, I reckon I could give the Prince a run for its money :roll:

Bring it on DDD!

:lol:

:shock:
  • il_principe
    Indeed power to weight ratio is the key! And this is where my "compact" body comes into it's own being just over 10 stone means I have less mass to haul up to speed :-)
    Sprinting is certainly fun (coming from a former county sprint runner) but I'm also finding it fun to see what kind of hills I can get up now!

Maybe one evening if we can all get together for drinks we should do a drag along the Embankment? Of course this means we either need a quiet road or to race when it is quiet which means we'd all need to drink Cola (or another non-alcoholic drink) for about 2 hours first ;-)

RP would be a better bet.
  • Bassjunkieuk

I would LOVE to give that a go, I just need to find a chance to get over there now.......roll on the warm weather and I can then take the wife and kids there WITH my bike in/on the car!

Also DDD, as for that route being my default for the way in I usually like the blast down Knight's Hill but on the way home it's pretty much down to how I'm feeling but I think I'll be heading down A24 this evening now! At what point do you join the action then and around what time? I'll be leaving work near Victoria around 17:35-40 so should hit Stockwell about 10 minutes after that and then the scalping begins :twisted:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe

I would LOVE to give that a go, I just need to find a chance to get over there now.......roll on the warm weather and I can then take the wife and kids there WITH my bike in/on the car!

Also DDD, as for that route being my default for the way in I usually like the blast down Knight's Hill but on the way home it's pretty much down to how I'm feeling but I think I'll be heading down A24 this evening now! At what point do you join the action then and around what time? I'll be leaving work near Victoria around 17:35-40 so should hit Stockwell about 10 minutes after that and then the scalping begins :twisted:

Victoria eh? You should join LiT,Clever Pun and myself for a swift pint!
  • DonDaddyD

Ok you're like a Caterham Super 7, I'm a big American Muscle car designed to go in a straight line. Are you sure your sourced motorbike pistons can deal with my mighty V8 pistons!!!

Sure I may run out of gas quicker than Escalade but I'll be so far ahead of you when I do, by the time I finish the race it'll be sometime yesterday! :shock:

This would be cool!

And this is the solution!
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    Also DDD, as for that route being my default for the way in I usually like the blast down Knight's Hill but on the way home it's pretty much down to how I'm feeling but I think I'll be heading down A24 this evening now! At what point do you join the action then and around what time? I'll be leaving work near Victoria around 17:35-40 so should hit Stockwell about 10 minutes after that and then the scalping begins

I join at the point where Acre Lane joins onto Clapham Common, by the train station. Think I'll be there at around 17:40, which is earlier than you get there.

Knights hill is scary, because of the traffic.

@ Jash, sometimes you just need to know how fast people can go. I'd love to go up against the Prince over a short distance.... 1/2 or 3/4 mile....
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

Victoria eh? You should join LiT,Clever Pun and myself for a swift pint!

doo eeet
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    No SCR for me today :-(

So, I will tell you all about my day working from home instead......I read lots and checked e-mails.

Brakes now fixed on the car and dog is very happy!

Have a good weekend all.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    It may be earlier but I'll be on the lookout for the nightrider rear light! Nothing like a flashing red "carrot" to up the pace a little :-) Good car analogy but I prefer the Aerial Atom for a superlight sh1t-off-a-teflon-shovel accelerating car........I might even get changed a bit ahead and see if I can leave around 17:30 which will allow a little extra time but I shouldn't imagine I'll get much further then Stockwell by 17:40 due to traffic lights :-(

As for the drinks unfortunately wifey has arranged to take her sister out for driving practice this evening and is already pi55ed that I'm working in town (I was due to be about 10 minutes ride from home but plans changed yesterday)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also DDD, as for that route being my default for the way in I usually like the blast down Knight's Hill but on the way home it's pretty much down to how I'm feeling but I think I'll be heading down A24 this evening now! At what point do you join the action then and around what time? I'll be leaving work near Victoria around 17:35-40 so should hit Stockwell about 10 minutes after that and then the scalping begins

I join at the point where Acre Lane joins onto Clapham Common, by the train station. Think I'll be there at around 17:40, which is earlier than you get there.

Knights hill is scary, because of the traffic.

@ Jash, sometimes you just need to know how fast people can go. I'd love to go up against the Prince over a short distance.... 1/2 or 3/4 mile....

The gauntlet is down:

gauntlet.jpg

Set a date fella - perhaps when the evening are lighter (and my training regime is in full flow!)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It may be earlier but I'll be on the lookout for the nightrider rear light! Nothing like a flashing red "carrot" to up the pace a little :-) Good car analogy but I prefer the Aerial Atom for a superlight sh1t-off-a-teflon-shovel accelerating car........I might even get changed a bit ahead and see if I can leave around 17:30 which will allow a little extra time but I shouldn't imagine I'll get much further then Stockwell by 17:40 due to traffic lights :-(

As for the drinks unfortunately wifey has arranged to take her sister out for driving practice this evening and is already pi55ed that I'm working in town (I was due to be about 10 minutes ride from home but plans changed yesterday)

MTFU just who wears the pants in your house :P

Don't tell my wife I said that :lol:

@DDD er! have your lost your mind :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Indeed that is a rather nice gauntlet and you have to admire his brashness ;-)

I was just having a butchers on Google maps and can see where me and DDD could intercept........but having said that I did also realize the amount of different routes I could use if I do head that way :-) I can turn off of the A24 @ Clapham North and follow the road down to Streatham Hill Rail station or turn off opposite Waitrose (I think) and head down towards Streatham that way!!

I can't wait until we get longer days it will make exploring so much easier :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    itboffin wrote:

As for this brain fart from DDD I'm quite interested to see how it plays out, before we know it it'll turn out like a 2 wheeled version of The Fast and the Furious with people racing each other for cash/bikes/girlfriends/wives/first born child etc.

1 hour left now until I can unleash hell :twisted:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:

As for this brain fart from DDD I'm quite interested to see how it plays out, before we know it it'll turn out like a 2 wheeled version of The Fast and the Furious with people racing each other for cash/bikes/girlfriends/wives/first born child etc.

1 hour left now until I can unleash hell :twisted:

@Jash. When the weather improves you're on! Bring on - The Great SCR Challenge!

@ITB. Instead of arguing all the time I'm getting back to what I love the most, talking smack to th big guns! I don't doubt Jash will win marginally, but I love a challenge I could potentially win... It's aslo an oppurtunity to learn.

@Bass. That's my vision of London cycling future... documented in Magazine called. 'Scalp!'

If this day does materialise I'm gonna have to unveil my secret weapon!

Edit: - No single speeds or fixed gears.
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My advice would be meet for pre race drinks, I'm pretty confident that after 10+ pints I can still walk and cycle pretty well, such as after the first SCR drinks.

Failing that drug them both, just think Mr T - I ain't getting on no plane fool!.

Alternatively get yourself a personal trainer, give up work and do nothing but cycle from now until the faithful day.

Nutter..................
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    The Fast and Furious vision is all good! Most car drivers love their "big" wheels and yet struggle to get much more then 24" ones on all but their Chelsea Tractors! Yet we're all rolling on 27" wheels practically as standard! All I need now is an insanely powerful stereo system and some under-chassis neon lighting............

Also +1 for the SCR Challenge Day :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'll sit by the cafe, timing you, and eating cake at the same time.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    The Fast and Furious vision is all good! Most car drivers love their "big" wheels and yet struggle to get much more then 24" ones on all but their Chelsea Tractors! Yet we're all rolling on 27" wheels practically as standard! All I need now is an insanely powerful stereo system and some under-chassis neon lighting............

One of the very few bikes I saw in Turkey was sporting a blacklight!
  • DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:
    My advice would be meet for pre race drinks, I'm pretty confident that after 10+ pints I can still walk and cycle pretty well, such as after the first SCR drinks.

Failing that drug them both, just think Mr T - I ain't getting on no plane fool!.

Alternatively get yourself a personal trainer, give up work and do nothing but cycle from now until the faithful day.

Nutter..................

Why? The theory is sound. To my kowledge most of these guys are not Time Trial specialists. Sure they can ride 100miles quickly, go up and down hills.. but that's endurance and other stuff using different muscles than the fast twitch muscles and Manly Man power used in sprinting...

I think I've just taken SCR to the next logical level. Meeting up at night on a 3/4mile stretch of straight road in London. A load of upgraded/modified bikes gathered at the supposed ASL. Scantly clad girls dancing to music vibrating off the tall buildings that create a dead spot for wind. Two hopefuls stand at the lights. Old man Greg66 drops his pipe and BAM! They're off!
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD

Why do you think I spend my time 'modifying' my bike...

The day they making 'spinners' for road bikes I'll be all over that like it were Vicky Pendleton!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    itboffin wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Is it ok to ride a modern bike? It sounds like fun and I have tweed!

I think you will get killed!!! Tape your derailleur's in place and blag it!

What a way to go - set upon by a gang of tweed wearing chaps! Better swerve it then!

it'll be a collection of gentlemen... and some studo art types wearing tweed

I am actually a member of a gentleman's club - but it is closed on saturdays, otherwise I could have taken you there for the proper club feel! No ladies...

Is it the NLC by any chance? if it is they have reciprocal at a number of other clubs that are open on Sat.

Oh yes and don't forget no tweed outing is complete with out a match pair

161_05.jpg

Nice guns.

No, not the NLC. The Savile Club on Brook Street.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Even a time trial specialist wouldn't necessarily be able to do explosive straight line speed. Take Mark Cavendish for example in last years TDF, he had 4 stage wins and is regarded as one of the fastest sprinters in the world for road racing. He won each of those stages with a combination of team work and awesome speed over the last 100 metres, he would just pick the right moment, find a gap and BAM he was off like a rocket. Now that is a masterclass in spinning and acceleration - made all the more impressive by the fact that he has just ridden 130 miles beforehand!

It does take a different physical makeup for endurance vs. sprinting and this is evident in cycling and running events. I've always had (and hope to keep for a good while yet!) a sprinters build, big strong legs and a toned upper body. I used to HATE the winter distance running I did when I first joined the Croydon Harriers running club and would usually be dead after about a mile or 2 of running, but during the summer holidays when I joined I used to go out on my bike and ride. I got myself a cycle computer so I could measure my speed (most important thing when your 12 or 13!) and distance traveled. I used to aim for 10 miles a day, each weekday. I think by the end of the summer one of the long distance trainers at the club asked my mum what I'd been doing as my legs had grown so much :-) All this cycling and running when I was younger is what has put me in such a good position for the riding now!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5