Silly commuting racing

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Littigator wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Sitting at Antalya airport (which sucks by the way). I miss SCR, back to work tomorrow but I have a 10:30 meeting in Margate then a 15:30 on Wigmore St, so no cycling tomorrow. Just as well probably as I've eaten rather a lot this week. Training starts in earnest this weekend!

come and do the tweed run on saturday it'll be a few gentle miles and beers... you strike me as a chap who would have some tweed

Tempting, I do have a tweed suit as it goes although it's not in London at the mo. Any other SCR in attendance aside from Litts?

V delayed getting back thanks to some drunken Scottish fool (why are drunks always scottish?) getting hauled off the plane. And yep, Antalya airport has 2 awful places to eat - a burger king :? meal was about £7

Jash come along and join us, there's about 120-150 people riding...it's going to be hilarious.

CP, me and Mrs L are meeting outside the Tate Britain at 12.45 so round your neck of the woods.

As for SCRing...I am now OFFICIALLY on that sabatical I asked for a couple of months ago seeing as of last Wednesday I have no job to commute to!!!

B*ggers are paying me a decent serverance though and I have plans afoot. More details to follow.

But the downside is, although I get nice long rides out during the daytime...there is absolutely nobody to ride or notrace with :(

god that sounds hideous... I think LiT was thinking about it but she's injured so would be pretty silly. (I think there's about 100 people agreeing to it so far)

I'm going for it - just posted on another thread! 12:45 outside the Tate sounds like a plan.

Congrats on the severance. :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Petromyzon wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Petromyzon wrote:
    Hey CJCP, what time where you on LRR? I got merked by a guy on a bike that may have looked like yours on the Upper Richmond road at around 6.20 ish. Came off queens ride, did some dubious (read stupid) filtering at the crossroads and then span fastish along the first section (by the rugby ground) so that I could make it through the next crossroads, but had a rapid guy (you?) on my tail. Whoever it was then disappeared in to the distance as I didn't have the gearing/filtering cojones/legs to keep up.
    Still looking for my first confirmed SCR sighting:)

A-ha! Another one on the same route. :twisted:

But, no, that wasn't me. I went through at about 6.45-50. :)

You're on a yellow bike, right?

Narp, black fixed langster with a smart half watt rear light and a Timbuk2 bag. 8) Glad it wasn't someone on here, my legs were going stupid fast and I couldn't shake him, then he changed up and came past. :cry::cry::cry:
    Still, I've never yet lost out to someone on fixed.....

Will look out for you. :)

Oh, and it wouldn't have been me 'cos I don't draft. That's cheating. Gotta beat them in a clean fight and all that. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Is the Smart half watt one big LED that pulses? I was following one the opther day and almost said to the rider how I was actually have to look UPWARDS to avoid being blinded!!
  • It has one v.bright LED and two smaller ones below it, and, yes, it does have a flashing mode. I do worry about dazzling others so I might angle it down a little. It is hard to get the balance right between feeling like you have enough light on to be unmissable but not dazzling other road users.

Incidentally, does anyone have a helmet light, and if so, what do they use? As I'm quite tall I think it might be good to help me get seen above cars.

Littigator- do you ever do the Dynamo RP ride on Saturdays? If so, what do you ride/look like, and which group do you tend to go off in? I was a new Dynamo at the tail end of last year, but don't really know many people in the club as yet.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Hey mate...I used to but haven't for quite some time. I was usually between groups 2-4 depending on how busy it was or how up for it I was feeling.

I doubt I'll be getting back to them this year for various reasons I can't go into at present...but just keep turning up and you'll get to know a few faces
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Were any of the Londoners doing Parliment Sq to Millbank tonight at ~18:15 on a black road bike. If so you were spotted in Bristol on the local news. Sad state of affairs when you look at the background and ignore the news report.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I just completed my first 100k in prep for the HOTA in Feb. and I surprised myself at my freshness at the end (super slow pace), if it wasn't for the fact i'd forgotten my lights I think I could have continued, here's the best bit, I took two scalps :twisted: I do not care if they were both overdressed hybrid's I owned them.

No. 1 was just before the gates of Bear Grylls farm house (name dropping) :lol: I could see him wayyyyyy in the distance, closed in the small ring - ouch! and passed without any exchange of pleasantries, not in the mood today.

No. 2 was a gift form the gods, 1 mile from the end of the ride, wet, cold, tired and as ever windy I spotted a distance red light "steadily disappearing" I first assumed it was a motor bike but knowing I was only 1 mile from the end I put the hammer down (powered by Mars bar) and blasted past with a huge grin on face and using all my self control NOT to shout "in your face".

All in all an eventful ride, trying out a new route section I had to stop and clean muck out of my forks & brakes and discovered why my shifting has been so random and difficult, the cable had worked loose, I'll add that to my list of excuses for last Sunday's RP ride :oops:

Best of all was the unidentified squeak which started at 10 miles and increased in frequency and volume as the ride progressed.

My new Mavic Aksium's we're perfect as were the Michelin tyres even on a scary patch of ice.

It's gonna hurt tomorrow. :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Litts: Oh no!!! That's dreadful - but I think there are a lot of others in our industry who find themselves in the same boat... as if that's any consolation... :x

I hope your plans work out swimmingwithsharks-ly. Did you do that in SA, btw?

And no, I won't be on the tweed ride. Considering that I am still in a very fetching aircast boot thing and that it hurts rather a lot, I think the docs were right and it would be a bad idea.

I had a dream about riding my bike the other night... :cry:
  • Littigator wrote:
    Hey mate...I used to but haven't for quite some time. I was usually between groups 2-4 depending on how busy it was or how up for it I was feeling.

I doubt I'll be getting back to them this year for various reasons I can't go into at present...but just keep turning up and you'll get to know a few faces

Cool, I just remember seeing that you were a Dynamo when I lurked and I wondered if I had spoken to you at any point. Inconsistent working patterns are keeping me away too at the moment, not always free at the weekends. I hope the job situation sorts itself out!
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    AdiMac wrote:
    I bagged my 1st sclap on the way home last night and if I see anybody on the way home tonight they be getting it as well

You want to see a Doctor about that and try not to spread it about...
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Petromyzon wrote:

Incidentally, does anyone have a helmet light, and if so, what do they use? As I'm quite tall I think it might be good to help me get seen above cars.
    Knog Frog attached to the back of my Bell Sweep - works very well
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    pretty quiet tonight until... I see a celeste bianchi rider ahead of me.. a matching bidon how cute, I sit behind him at the lights and we're off he seems to be dawdling.. I burst past him and he's gone. He catches up at the lights and goes past as he hits them at the right time as I clip in etc and I stay behind for a while after a bit I burst past again and leave him for a while. more fricking traffic lights and we're together again... he gets to the front of the queue to turn right up the hill so I sit behind him to see what he can do... we start the hilland it seems like he wants to go backwards.. I crank on the afterburners and do the hill faster than last night...yey...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    don_don wrote:
    Definitely no SCR this morning, the roads were lethal :( I was lured into a false sense of security by blue skies and sunshine, but there was sheet ice all over the place.

I came off on a left hander, luckily at walking pace after seeing the ice come up and feeling the back wheel move. Fortunately the traffic was stopped as well, as I basically fell flat on my ass in front of a line of cars waiting to turn. No harm done but it shook me up a little. Another rider did exactly the same thing as I was picking myself up :shock:

I could feel the back wheel sliding most of the rest of the way to work, luckily not too far and taking it very slowly . Even the slight camber in the road was threatening to have me off at times.

I might be seeking a lift in tomorrow....

There is an amusing bit on my commute:

Adverse camber, right by a proimary school (I go that way because it has little traffic at 7am)

It is also in a frost pocket.

Yesterday I was prepared, so didn't exactly fall, nor di I exactly *not* fall. I didn't go down but the bike slowly slid down (I was doing about 5mph, in expectation of this).
  • cjcp
    A Cervelo spun past me in a hurry tonight on the entry to DSC. Dressed all in blue. All Assos blue, to be precise.

I know what you're thinking. :)

But it wasn't Mr66. :wink: It was another chap on older Soloist, I think. And he was spinning, not churning the 16.

I reclaimed my scalp, before he went past on the NKR when I was pulling off from some lights (I'm still experimenting with this big gear business. Honestly :wink: ). He got through the next set, but I was about 20 yards behind, so didn't make the green. He's quick. Chapeau, sir.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    itboffin wrote:
    Best of all was the unidentified squeak which started at 10 miles and increased in frequency and volume as the ride progressed.

That'll be your liver :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • cjcp wrote:
    churning the 16.

"churning"? :x

When did 90-100rpm become "churning"? :shock:

Have you been watching your Japanese Track Allstars DVDs again?

130rpm isn't big, and it isn't clever :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Everything I saw this morning got overtaken, because it is peeing it down and cold. I am losing my religion....oh for the love of a warm mobile, metal coffin, inching down the A38.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

:evil:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • itboffin
    Littigator wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oi! I thought you was on a sabbatical or some sort of ghey not SCRing because I have a letter from my mum tweed wearing type excuse :evil:
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    Such a good ride in this morning despite the wet in London, is it just me or does the bike travel quicker when the road's wet??

or it could be because there were fewer scalps in the way....
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...are letters from yer mum allowed? I needed one this morning with head wind and driving rain...still bagged one scalp in the last half mile...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    flamite wrote:
    Such a good ride in this morning despite the wet in London, is it just me or does the bike travel quicker when the road's wet??

I think it just seems that way coz the cars are going sooo much slower in the wet.

I calmed it off a bit this morning, a combination of tired legs and the wet. Still, I span the trusty* 52x16 up to 137rpm through Blackfriars tunnel :D
    Edit: and I did two mopeds up millbank :D:D

* worn out
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...are letters from yer mum allowed? I needed one this morning with head wind and driving rain...still bagged one scalp in the last half mile...

Only if countersigned by two living grandparents :wink:
  • JonGinge wrote:
    flamite wrote:

I think it just seems that way coz the cars are going sooo much slower in the wet.

Nah, I reckon it's because oil and water makes a good chain lube. Downside is that when your chain dries out it feels slower than ever.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    flamite wrote:

I calmed it off a bit this morning, a combination of tired legs and the wet. Still, I span the trusty* 52x16 up to 137rpm through Blackfriars tunnel :D
    Edit: and I did two mopeds up millbank :D:D

* worn out

Took it easy too. Combination of (i) the wet, (ii) coming down with a cold. :x, and (iii) it seemed to be Get in the Car, Fill the Streets of London and Drive Like a Berk Day, or was that just me? :?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    quiet on the roads.. after my little ding a few miles on I see a roadie and take him... yeah back in the game.. He pushes past on the jamaica runway when there's traffic everywhere... a bit silly if you ask me. I see the traffic lights ahead go green and whip past him.... see you later.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    good ride home last night.. on a fast train through putney and roehampton lane with a guy in 'quickerbybike' shorts on a spesh and another on a tourer! fair play to him we were all flying. they turned left going into the park but i went through the middle as usual - wheel's came off going eventually against the wind and i ended up on the granny ring as i wheezed my way to kingston.

cjcp tell me you didn't manage big 56-13 against that wind last night?

this morning.. retribution for not riding - spent 30 mins waiting for a bus that never arrived and ended up walking to work from aldwych.. i soooo should've ridden. MTFU!!!
    Always in stealth mode
  • cjcp
    martinc wrote:
    cjcp tell me you didn't manage big 56-13 against that wind last night?

You didn't ride in?! :shock:

Nope, I flirted with the 53/14 last night, but legs wouldn't have that all the way home. Also, I nearly came to a shuddering halt along Millbank. :oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."