Silly commuting racing

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    For those of you with some enforced time off work, why not have a crack at this seemingly insane challenge: http://www.centcolschallenge.com/

# 10 long, hard and unforgettable days in the saddle, with just one rest day.
    # A fully-supported ride on the best cycling roads in the high mountains of the French Alps.
    # The 2009 edition includes most of the Classic Alpine Climbs.
    # Distance: approximately 2,000 kms. Climbing: approximately 30,000 metres. :shock:

Utter madness, but what a challenge...
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    What is this tweed event? Confused! :oops:
  • il_principe
    Sewinman wrote:
    What is this tweed event? Confused! :oops:

http://www.londonfgss.com/thread14596.html

Basically around 100 peeps on SS/Fixed riding this route dressed in Tweed:

http://www.londonfgss.com/post476848-981.html

Looking forward!
  • Sewinman
    Is it ok to ride a modern bike? It sounds like fun and I have tweed!
  • il_principe
    Sewinman wrote:

If by modern you mean geared then I'm not sure tbh, but the more the merrier I reckon.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Sewinman wrote:

I think you will get killed!!! Tape your derailleur's in place and blag it!
  • Sewinman
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

What a way to go - set upon by a gang of tweed wearing chaps! Better swerve it then!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Sewinman wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

What a way to go - set upon by a gang of tweed wearing chaps! Better swerve it then!

it'll be a collection of gentlemen... and some studo art types wearing tweed
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sewinman
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I am actually a member of a gentleman's club - but it is closed on saturdays, otherwise I could have taken you there for the proper club feel! No ladies...
  • il_principe
    Sewinman wrote:

I am actually a member of a gentleman's club - but it is closed on saturdays, otherwise I could have taken you there for the proper club feel! No ladies.

I'm not sure I like the sound of that...
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited January 2009
    In Helsinki at the minute, it's effing freezing, belting down snow to add to the 2 feet already on the ground, and there are a lot of people cycling home from work! Chapeau, Finland.

Also, is anyone beer-ing Friday?

EDIT: Or lemonade-ing... have just read the SCTS thread...
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman wrote:

I am actually a member of a gentleman's club - but it is closed on saturdays, otherwise I could have taken you there for the proper club feel! No ladies.

I'm not sure I like the sound of that...

Perverted mind.... :roll:
  • il_principe
    In Helsinki at the minute, it's effing freezing, belting down snow to add to the 2 feet already on the ground, and there are a lot of people cycling home from work! Chapeau, Finland.

I could do... whining about lack of beer over a glass of wine.

Actually I'm allowed beer this weekend. :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    It's amazing what effect the good lady saying, "Remember, I've got to be out of the house at 7, sharp. Don't be late", has on your bike speed. No-one even came close tonight.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    After 3 days off the bike due to a work training course I'm back on it tomorrow and found out earlier I'm required up in town! Excellent news as it means I get a much more fun commute but on the downside wifey has arranged with her sister to take her out for some driving practise so I need to be home ASAP otherwise I'd have been right up for a couple of drinks!

Roll on 8AM tomorrow, anyone on the A23 from Tulse Hill and South Lambeth Road better be ready for some scalping!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    While BJUK enters the fray again, that's it for me for this week. I'm working from home tomorrow. (I genuinely am :wink: ) I may have to get the turbo out on Saturday and Sunday to get some "miles" in before the HOTA. :?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sewinman wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I am actually a member of a gentleman's club - but it is closed on saturdays, otherwise I could have taken you there for the proper club feel! No ladies...

Is it the NLC by any chance? if it is they have reciprocal at a number of other clubs that are open on Sat.

Oh yes and don't forget no tweed outing is complete with out a match pair

161_05.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Hmm, now scalping people is all well and good but shooting other cyclist just isn't cricket ITB!

Speaking of sacrilegious activities whilst on the walk from Shebu station to the training academy during the week we got a lovely view of the Holland Park Roundabout and what should I see riding across it???

A lovely blue Ribble road TRICYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the love of all that is holy I hope the rider had a bl00dy good reason to do such a thing to such a nice looking bike! It just didn't compute! I normally associate tricycles with children or old ladies who haven't got a sense of balance!! I know we have some SCR's out over that direction and it would have been around 8:30 ish and just wondered if anyone else has spotted this abomination?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Hmm, now scalping people is all well and good but shooting other cyclist just isn't cricket ITB!

Speaking of sacrilegious activities whilst on the walk from Shebu station to the training academy during the week we got a lovely view of the Holland Park Roundabout and what should I see riding across it???

A lovely blue Ribble road TRICYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the love of all that is holy I hope the rider had a bl00dy good reason to do such a thing to such a nice looking bike! It just didn't compute! I normally associate tricycles with children or old ladies who haven't got a sense of balance!! I know we have some SCR's out over that direction and it would have been around 8:30 ish and just wondered if anyone else has spotted this abomination?

Look when grown men don tweed and plus fours round these parts we general let off a few rounds at the peasants :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    Drove to King's X International this morning to drop the good lady and eldest daughter off at Eurostar. Experienced commuting by car during rush hour in London for the first time. Yuk! :x How on earth do people do that day after day? :?

Saw some brief SCR action too. A hybrid and roadie smackdown :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Three scalps this morning - two hybrids (one with panniers) and a slick MTB - beware - the Old Canal is mine!! :twisted:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:

Oh yes and don't forget no tweed outing is complete with out a match pair

161_05.jpg

Purdey - naturally 8)
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    First post to the thread (Long time lurker)

I scored an unusall and excellant (I think so anyway) scalp last night on my way home (still soaked fromt he commute in) when I was indulging in some impressions of Cav winning TdF stages and I managed to scalp someone whilst not only not pedaling but with both arms in the air to celebrate the stage win and show off the sponsor logos to full effect.

The joy of wide wide residential roads in oxford.
  • itboffin
    [Tim] wrote:
    First post to the thread (Long time lurker)

I scored an unusall and excellant (I think so anyway) scalp last night on my way home (still soaked fromt he commute in) when I was indulging in some impressions of Cav winning TdF stages and I managed to scalp someone whilst not only not pedaling but with both arms in the air to celebrate the stage win and show off the sponsor logos to full effect.

The joy of wide wide residential roads in oxford.

Welcome to the game however that sounds just a little bit too much like trying.

As you say you've been lurking for a while then I'm sure you realise this is very much like an AA meeting, you announce your self and confess your sins.

Name, Route & No. (FCN) soldier :lol:
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    itboffin wrote:
    Welcome to the game however that sounds just a little bit too much like trying.

There is a chance there was some effort being applied PRIOR to the scalping, but at, and following, the pass it was hands in the air freewheeling to hands in the air pedaling and only breathing though my nose (thereby avoiding any risk of panting or gasping for breath).
    itboffin wrote:
    Name, Route & No. (FCN) soldier :lol:

I can be found 2-4 days a week commuting from North Oxford to Abingdon via a variety of residental, main roads, country roads, tow paths and cycle paths depending on the weather, mood and bike. With an FCN that varies from 10 (MTB, Knobblies, Panniers and beard) up to 1 or 2 (Full on road bike/training ride style) depending on the weather, mood and plans for the day.
  • si. d
    si. d Posts: 52
    1 easy scalp this morning going passed bristol zoo. But then going across the suspension bridge I saw a scooter in the distance. I managed to catch up with the scooter(no outward sign of effort obviously), held back in accordance with SCR rules on the easy downhill bit (could have had him there but it was sketchy), and I went for it on the long straight. I just didn't have the legs for it though.

However, I claim that said long straight road is slightly uphill.

Nonetheless, a fantastic commute, but I want that scooter. I'll be trying hard on monday. For optimum scooter overtake should I be spinning madly or gear crunching? I was on a 52/14 but I can't help thinking I should have been spinning more.
    FCN- 4 with Laser designator sights
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    si. d wrote:

I can confirm the upward gradient on this stretch of road is 0.01% or 1 in 1,000 :lol: I think this is Bridge Road.

http://tinyurl.com/bnyh4w
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    si. d wrote:
    1 easy scalp this morning going passed bristol zoo. But then going across the suspension bridge I saw a scooter in the distance. I managed to catch up with the scooter(no outward sign of effort obviously), held back in accordance with SCR rules on the easy downhill bit (could have had him there but it was sketchy), and I went for it on the long straight. I just didn't have the legs for it though.

Nonetheless, a fantastic commute, but I want that scooter. I'll be trying hard on monday. For optimum scooter overtake should I be spinning madly or gear crunching? I was on a 52/14 but I can't help thinking I should have been spinning more.

53/11T and pushing like a daemon :twisted:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bit wet this morning eh? I'm still trying to get my top and trousers dry for the ride home :-( Hopefully the important bit (the cycle shorts) should be dry by mid afternoon :-)

Good fun on the way in this morning, although I have realized my new brake blocks will beed adjusting as braking in the wet is taking a bit longer then I'm comfortable with!

That said I took a cautious approach to the few downhill sections I had and took full advantage on the flats to claim a few scalps along South Lambeth Road, even letting some of them get better position at the lights to increase the fun!

Picked up a another whilst riding into a MAHUSIVE headwind over Vauxhall Bridge (a quasi RLJer from earlier who did a blatant RLJ at Vauxhall X) I got past him with using his draft but he must have swung right over into the central bus lane and came back past as I was slowing for the traffic ahead (bus indicating right, car indicating left and me not wanting to end up in as the filling in that sandwich!) I did make the ground back up but he turned off VB Road just after Millbank Spice.........

Looking forward to the ride home as it's not meant to be raining this evening :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • In Helsinki at the minute, it's effing freezing, belting down snow to add to the 2 feet already on the ground, and there are a lot of people cycling home from work! Chapeau, Finland.

I could do... whining about lack of beer over a glass of wine.

Actually I'm allowed beer this weekend. :wink:

Beer this weekend? Is it your birthday too? Or just delayed temperance?

Any others for a beer this evening? I'm impartial, am on my way home, finally done with this week and could either go to pub or spend the evening acquainting myself with Lego Batman on the X-Box!