Silly commuting racing

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    7.15pm you joker, you.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    don_don wrote:
    I’m not sure if he deserves the scalp, since he never actually overtook me, but then I didn’t pass him either. Perhaps the SCR assessment team can adjudicate? There’ll be little mercy if I see him again..

A score-less draw, I'd say, although you can assume the moral high ground, and that means he'll be nervy next time you run into each other. And when you do, you should adopt the Clever Pun (aka Braveheart/Mad Crazy Barbarian on a Bike) approach to SCR. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Sitting at Antalya airport (which sucks by the way). I miss SCR, back to work tomorrow but I have a 10:30 meeting in Margate then a 15:30 on Wigmore St, so no cycling tomorrow. Just as well probably as I've eaten rather a lot this week. Training starts in earnest this weekend!

come and do the tweed run on saturday it'll be a few gentle miles and beers... you strike me as a chap who would have some tweed

Some are born to tweed - others have tweed thrust upon them - sorry couldn't resist (ducks) :roll:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    I hate SCR... especially as im injured so should be taking it easy. BUT NO i get on the road with people as quick/quicker than me so i have to make so much effort and now im even more injured
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I had a great SCR on Monday night:

Me, on the Barron running 44/16 SS. Overtakes first MTB on incline, pushes the tempo up to Filton Hill, bigger incline - spots what I think is a roadie out of the saddle (I am never out of the saddle when I tale my road bike up there), So, easy prey me thinks!

I man up and start swinging the sucker under me - driving the pedals down hard and relying on the cleats to hold me in on the up-stroke. Overtake, next MTB and start to reel in the "roadie", as we get to the top of the hill, I am in full flow, it is hurting, but f*ck me I am gonna succeed - get right behind the guy, ready to make my move......Would you adam and believe it he is running fixed 48/16...fecking hell!! I feel very small....

Anyway, suffice to say he lost me on the flat as I span out quicker, but I did catch him on another incline, then had a quick chat as we blatted down Gloucester Road, even shook the guys hand before turning off into my street.

No SCR, but a thoroughly nice experience. he was on an On-One Pompino with pannier and mudguards - looked like old guard Fixie.

Nothing today, as I am at home with dog - so I built my Raleigh frame up! It is bithcin'!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    *Montage* With Rock Theme Tune

There is a guy on green Mountain bike (no suspension) that I overtake every day. I feel sorry for him...

I took a girl today in Wimbledon, then some guy on another green bike in Tooting. Then a guy on a red hybrid with a Marin stem in Balham. Then another women on a bike that was squeeking and the wheels were warped - overtaking her was a matter of saftey her bike could have collapsed at any moment! :shock:

Then I spun my way up Balham Hill at 21.5mph. Shouting at myself hold it Laurence (I refer to myself as many things but never DonDaddyD), HOLD IT! and when I got to the top across from the Burger King I punched the air and then rode off as people were looking at me as though I was mad.... COME ON!!!!

Got to the Clapham Common drag strip lined up by four cyclists couple hybrids, couple roadies and at the lights, rode off and stayed ahead keeping my scalp in place!

*Montage* With Rocky Theme Tune

Richmond Park on Sunday (I think), I going the F up that hill even if it kills me!

:lol:

I'm sure everyone here has done something similar, in fact when i'm in my car and I see a fellow cyclist battling the hills I feel like shouting encouragement, a get in or chapeau then I consider the gesture from the cyclists point of view.

Car slows, grinning driver shouts something out of window - mmm perhaps not. :lol:

DDD you realise what you've done now.... you'll forever have to take that hill at speed, wondering why today was only 19mph when last week 22mph :lol:

Doomed, doomed I say!!! hee hee
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Sitting at Antalya airport (which sucks by the way). I miss SCR, back to work tomorrow but I have a 10:30 meeting in Margate then a 15:30 on Wigmore St, so no cycling tomorrow. Just as well probably as I've eaten rather a lot this week. Training starts in earnest this weekend!

come and do the tweed run on saturday it'll be a few gentle miles and beers... you strike me as a chap who would have some tweed

Tempting, I do have a tweed suit as it goes although it's not in London at the mo. Any other SCR in attendance aside from Litts?

V delayed getting back thanks to some drunken Scottish fool (why are drunks always scottish?) getting hauled off the plane. And yep, Antalya airport has 2 awful places to eat - a burger king :? meal was about £7
  • cjcp
    Rode home in a combination of 53x14 and 53x15 tonight. I had a drafting fairy on Embankment tonight who all but had his tongue out trying to hang on and, after the thrid time of waving him by and him not doing so, I sat up, stopped pedalling and he went past. He was a happy chap, so I suspect not quite clued in to the etiquette of drafting as opposed to rude.

Then had some brief, but fun action through Parsons Green with a roadie plus two fixers. One fixer went into Putney, but the other two down the Lower Richmond Road. I used the slope to get the gears going and that was that. This big gear stuff is fun. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    cjcp wrote:
    This big gear stuff is fun. :D

He's on the turn! Soon he'll be talking with LiT, GT and JA about ring sizes and GI's and then it's only a short hop away from a...........SINGLE SPEED!!!

Go on! You know you want to!!

Having said all this I've been trying to keep in a higher gear recently, whilst I can't claim to be up in the same league as you I'm currently switching between the 73 and 85 GI mark on my roadie thinking that it's the sorta gear I could possibly deal with it I had to pick just one!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Dammit to Hell!

Am I going to have to order a 56 tooth chainring? :x
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

He's on the turn! Soon he'll be talking with LiT, GT and JA about ring sizes and GI's and then it's only a short hop away from a...........SINGLE SPEED!!!

No chance - going SS would mean using small(er?) gears :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg66 wrote:
    Dammit to Hell!

Am I going to have to order a 56 tooth chainring? :x
    Greg66 on his new bike:
    big-chain-ring.jpg
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I was well and truely scalped last night gutted!!

There I was tootling along the A369 heading home, taking it easy as I have done a lot of riding lately, then I hear a "evening" and some guy over takes me at speed! Now firstly I am not happy as I never see people on my route and when I do its ME doing the overtaking and me giving the casual "evening" as I go past, plus the fact he had 2 panniers compared to my one!!
    So automatically I stamp on pedals MTFU and give chase (not that I think he was aware I was racing him :cry: ) so up the hills we go and slowly dropped me.....then he turned off, I carry on my way at full speed racing only myself pretending that I would have caught him had he stayed on my route (even though I wouldn't have :) ) and being annoyed at taking it easy in the 1st place.

Beware tonight double pannier man I will be eating my commuting banana and giving it some tonight! :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Last night was fairly quiet till I got the fear... someone on my 6 drafting me. Oh great. I'm knackered after the cardio circuits class at lunch (generally lose about 3pounds in sweat) and there's a headwind... some people might have just gotten off and walked at this point :wink: but I'm stubborn and dig in and increase the speed it's hurting and the sod is still with me.. after a couple of sets of traffic lights I feel he's just getting an easy ride home. I get to the bottom of beckenham hill... I managed to get a look at my tormentor and oh no it's a fixed bike... he's going to roast me on the hill... I flogged myself up the hill maintaining 15mph which is pretty good from my experience. He's there I can't see if he's struggling though as I'm not trying. Got to the top and there's a nice down hill stretch.... so long sucker, I'm straight up into big boy gears and flying he's long gone... phew

This morning I was bl00dy shattered :lol: active recovery going through my mind take it easy... oh look a roadie and I'm off again and take the guy. luckily that was it in terms of competition today or I'd be an absolute wreck.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

Tempting, I do have a tweed suit as it goes although it's not in London at the mo. Any other SCR in attendance aside from Litts?

V delayed getting back thanks to some drunken Scottish fool (why are drunks always scottish?) getting hauled off the plane. And yep, Antalya airport has 2 awful places to eat - a burger king :? meal was about £7

god that sounds hideous... I think LiT was thinking about it but she's injured so would be pretty silly. (I think there's about 100 people agreeing to it so far)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Definitely no SCR this morning, the roads were lethal :( I was lured into a false sense of security by blue skies and sunshine, but there was sheet ice all over the place.

I came off on a left hander, luckily at walking pace after seeing the ice come up and feeling the back wheel move. Fortunately the traffic was stopped as well, as I basically fell flat on my ass in front of a line of cars waiting to turn. No harm done but it shook me up a little. Another rider did exactly the same thing as I was picking myself up :shock:

I could feel the back wheel sliding most of the rest of the way to work, luckily not too far and taking it very slowly . Even the slight camber in the road was threatening to have me off at times.

I might be seeking a lift in tomorrow....
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    No SCR'ing for the third day this week. Went in Monday morning feeling a bit iffy, came home on the bus an hour later feeling awful. Been off since with a stomach bug.

I miss my bike :(

(not work though!)
  • cjcp
    don_don wrote:
    Definitely no SCR this morning, the roads were lethal :( I was lured into a false sense of security by blue skies and sunshine, but there was sheet ice all over the place.

No such problems in the Big Smoke (the level of pollution down our way means that global warming really has taken hold. :) )
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    edited January 2009
    Lot of ice about this morning - nearly lost the front end a couple of times on frozen puddles - quite a lot of lurking black ice around as well - only one scalp - lady on knobbly MTB - felt a bit cruel to be honest - nearly got female ped and two kids who only looked one way before crossing the road - managed to swerve behind them

By the way who is the SCR character who challenges Hoy to a race in the advert ? 8)
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634

By the way who is the SCR character who challenges Hoy to a race in the advert ? 8)

Is it me, or is that advert really cheesy :)
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • cjcp
    gert_lush wrote:

Is it me, or is that advert really cheesy :)

It's awful. Truly awful.

Didn't Steve Cram do a Kellog's "Start" advert back in the '80s?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Positively gorgonzola - still can't blame him - has to finance his next Olympics somehow :roll:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had a pedal strike the other day when riding in a straight line :oops: Came to a crossing with the lights in my favour but I was 8 foot away so dropped down off the full height curb and crash, the pedal hit the road. I struggled like buggery to remain calm and casual as I didn't want to lose it in front of a queue of stationary traffic. Saved my pride and this is the place to confess my near miss.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cjcp wrote:

He's on the turn! Soon he'll be talking with LiT, GT and JA about ring sizes and GI's and then it's only a short hop away from a........RUPTURED ACHILLES!!!

Fixed yr post :)
  • cjcp wrote:
    Rode home in a combination of 53x14 and 53x15 tonight. I had a drafting fairy on Embankment tonight who all but had his tongue out trying to hang on and, after the thrid time of waving him by and him not doing so, I sat up, stopped pedalling and he went past. He was a happy chap, so I suspect not quite clued in to the etiquette of drafting as opposed to rude.

Then had some brief, but fun action through Parsons Green with a roadie plus two fixers. One fixer went into Putney, but the other two down the Lower Richmond Road. I used the slope to get the gears going and that was that. This big gear stuff is fun. :D

Hey CJCP, what time where you on LRR? I got merked by a guy on a bike that may have looked like yours on the Upper Richmond road at around 6.20 ish. Came off queens ride, did some dubious (read stupid) filtering at the crossroads and then span fastish along the first section (by the rugby ground) so that I could make it through the next crossroads, but had a rapid guy (you?) on my tail. Whoever it was then disappeared in to the distance as I didn't have the gearing/filtering cojones/legs to keep up.
    Still looking for my first confirmed SCR sighting:)
  • AdiMac
    AdiMac Posts: 36
    I bagged my 1st sclap on the way home last night and if I see anybody on the way home tonight they be getting it as well.

There aren't many people around at 8pm though :(
    Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around you could miss it.
  • cjcp
    Petromyzon wrote:
    Hey CJCP, what time where you on LRR? I got merked by a guy on a bike that may have looked like yours on the Upper Richmond road at around 6.20 ish. Came off queens ride, did some dubious (read stupid) filtering at the crossroads and then span fastish along the first section (by the rugby ground) so that I could make it through the next crossroads, but had a rapid guy (you?) on my tail. Whoever it was then disappeared in to the distance as I didn't have the gearing/filtering cojones/legs to keep up.

A-ha! Another one on the same route. :twisted:

But, no, that wasn't me. I went through at about 6.45-50. :)

You're on a yellow bike, right?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I keep looking forward to cycling home after 8 bikelss days, thenm I realise that thanks to this mornings 10:30 meeting in Margate, I don't have the bike today and will be getting the bus home. God that's depressing, it's a lovely evening and I want to ride my bicycle.

At least my 80mm valve tubes have arrived; fitting the new FFWD's to the Prince tonight; valve extenders are sodding useless.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Petromyzon wrote:

A-ha! Another one on the same route. :twisted:

But, no, that wasn't me. I went through at about 6.45-50. :)

You're on a yellow bike, right?

Narp, black fixed langster with a smart half watt rear light and a Timbuk2 bag. 8) Glad it wasn't someone on here, my legs were going stupid fast and I couldn't shake him, then he changed up and came past. :cry::cry::cry:
    Still, I've never yet lost out to someone on fixed.....
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Jash come along and join us, there's about 120-150 people riding...it's going to be hilarious.

CP, me and Mrs L are meeting outside the Tate Britain at 12.45 so round your neck of the woods.

As for SCRing...I am now OFFICIALLY on that sabatical I asked for a couple of months ago seeing as of last Wednesday I have no job to commute to!!!

B*ggers are paying me a decent serverance though and I have plans afoot. More details to follow.

But the downside is, although I get nice long rides out during the daytime...there is absolutely nobody to ride or notrace with :(

god that sounds hideous... I think LiT was thinking about it but she's injured so would be pretty silly. (I think there's about 100 people agreeing to it so far)
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6