Silly commuting racing

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    redvee wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    Well after the three month or so Christmas break that we teachers get, I came to work today with all the things I need here so I can ride to work from tomorrow.

Except I forgot a HUGE pile of books which I must give back to my GCSE class. And I have actually marked them.

Hmph :?

What's the punishemnt these days for forgetting your homework? :lol:
    What was the excuse? Dog ate it?

In other news: Just took a minute off my commute home PB. Not sure how, not got near it since october. Must have been the cross/tailwind.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    In other news: Just took a minute off my commute home PB. Not sure how, not got near it since october. Must have been the cross/tailwind.

There was a cracking tailwind along Embankment. The three roadies I nabbed weren't making the best use of it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Me going eastwards didn't get the tail wind of course. Good Lord it was a hard struggle. This morning was positively balmy compared to tonight. I thought tonight was the coldest in ages, or am I a soft sh*te. You don't necessarily need to answer that.

Paying little attention to the news as I do the snow came as a surprise this morning. I awoke to hear my wife pouring forth expletives from the front bedroom. Ay up, somethings up I thought. My car is on loan at present so me and the nipper have to go a deux on the old hybrid, so I go to wake up small child early who is normally dreadfull at getting up, but at the merest hint of snow, bing, she's at the window. Yo snow :D

After 10 mins trudging thro snow we find enough tarmac to mount the machine and get her to kids club. As I am on the hybrid for legit reasons, my options are now fully open. Scalp city................ :evil:

Having despatched 4 victims I hit Camden when some cheeky suit wearing, patent leather wearing gent on a Brompton starts to give it loads of the lights. :shock:

Turning green and tearing shirt I speed up and go monstering past him. Going to put this dude down cos I have only 300 yards or so to my turn off. As I hit warp speed the oncoming pelican goes amber........this is going to be touch and go. Hammer it but I just catch the red in the peripheral vision as I bomb over the line. Cobblers, not a good way to start 2009, fring RLJ.

Hands back scalp. Trying too hard.

If I am going to do this thing, it's going to done right. Anyway I am on the Ribble tomorrow, so that will make things harder.
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    What was the excuse? Dog ate it?

well obviously it would have been, but they are not due back till tomorrow - I'm not that hapless you know :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    cold cold cold bbbrrrrr bbbbbrrrr bbbrrrrrrrrrr
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    3 this morning - fecking cold though, near siezed up on the A38.....Never have I been so cold....and apparently it is going to get colder.
  • Woo!

My took my first scalp of the year yesterday evening..

A rare sight on my route - a fellow roadie heading down Coronation road, not sure if his snazzy red jacket with lights in the sleeves earned him more points or less..

He had a few car lengths on me at the Redcliffe roundabout as I was hanging back in traffic for better light timing (why bother with two fast front of traffic pullaways when you can just do one mid traffic medium speed one), would have taken him by the next set but he had a timid car driver behind him who was refusing to overtake. Still, once that car finally got around to getting out of the way I had the pleasure of breezing past on the top of the bars looking as noncholant as I could.
    FCN: 5
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Where is everybody?????

I've been looking forward to my first commute, and the first scalp of the year and saw 3 other cyclists in 23 miles, all of them in Greenwich town centre at the end of my commute so no scalps to be had :cry:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    Front page of today's Daily SCR: "DESPITE CHILLY CONDITIONS, FROSTY MELTS UNDER THE HEAT!"

:lol: I'll get my coat...)

As the headlines suggests, I bagged Frosty the Snowman this morning on my mtb. I didn't think it was ever in doubt either :wink: He had good speed, but I was faster. :D

And I also nabbed three roadies and two fixers to boot.

I caned it this morning. And am now very, very hungry. So, I'm about to down two pain au chocolat, one pain au raisin and a bottle of lucozade (original flavour). :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Well after 3 weeks balmy MTBing in sunny South Africa I return to this :shock:

Kerrrrrr-rist what happened to the thermostat :?

So there I was...okay to be fair bimbling along Grosvenor Road when a roadie whooshes past. Fair nuff he's not on my FCN radar...to cold to chase I'll leave him. But then

WHOOSSH

ZOOOOOOOOM

NEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOW

Three fixed riders in fast succession and I was attempting to haul my lazy a**e up to speed another one got by. A quick check behind and off I chased. So from there until Parliament Square was the most fenetic SCR race I've ever partaken in.

Crowned by the guy riding a supremely smart Dolan track bike replete with bleepy computer stuff...chapeux!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    welcome back Litts

pretty damn cold this morning... I passed what I thought was a fashion fixed could have been a messenger but he zipped through some traffic later impressivly but then gave away his fakenger status by signalling :lol:

but I did scalp two roadies and one of them was wearing shorts!!! Fu**ing mentalist
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ooh it was nippy this am. No scalps worth reporting as per, in fact every single cyclist I saw this am RLJ'd. The little cap has made way for a woolly beanie.
  • cjcp
    Ooh it was nippy this am. No scalps worth reporting as per, in fact every single cyclist I saw this am RLJ'd. The little cap has made way for a woolly beanie.

TART ALERT! TART ALERT!

:D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Is a Tart Radar a "Tartar"?

Boom boom. I'm on fire this morning. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:

TART ALERT! TART ALERT!

Is that related to the hat or simply to the fact that it's me posting?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited January 2009
    Extreme cold and no scalps this am - still I am now once more able to ride in a straight line without losing my balance - lost all feeling in my extremities on the way though :shock:

Wooly beanie and duvet jacket for me today
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

TART ALERT! TART ALERT!

Is that related to the hat or simply to the fact that it's me posting?

Fair point. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Back at work and bored already cj ?
  • cjcp
    Back at work and bored already cj ?

Back last week. Not bored - just multi-tasking! :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    cjcp wrote:

TART ALERT! TART ALERT!

Dude, calling Jash a tart is like calling the pope a catholic :lol::wink:

Jash, did i see you last Friday about to pull out onto Grosvenor Road from Pimlico around lunchtime? I was having a brithday bimble around London Taaaaan

• il_principe
    Littigator wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

TART ALERT! TART ALERT!

Dude, calling Jash a tart is like calling the pope a catholic :lol::wink:

Jash, did i see you last Friday about to pull out onto Grosvenor Road from Pimlico around lunchtime? I was having a brithday bimble around London Taaaaan

Nah, didn't venture out on Friday, I tried to drink away my hangover on the 1st and spent the 2nd paying for it!

Happy belated birthday though.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    MTFU'ing aside, oh my god it was unpleasantly cold this morning, colder than last night which i stated was officially my coldest ride ever. My fingers had turned to ice by the halfway point which meant i couldn't pull the brakes hard enough going down the hill into town - as i was approaching the lights thinking "i'm not going to stop" they went green. Hardly any ice on the roads except for an ice lake where it looked like someone had washed their car. Had bad bad bad hot aches when i got in.

But i'm not giving in to the bus :P
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    ...but i got one scalp - a fella with a very bright rear light but on flash mode which had more "off" time that "on".
  • cjcp wrote:
    Is a Tart Radar a "Tartar"?

Boom boom. I'm on fire this morning. :D

:lol::lol:

Silly person.

Welcome back Litts!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I just came off my bike right outside my house, doh! :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Littigator
    itboffin wrote:

Muppet!

And Hello to CP and LiT and thanks Jash.

SA was awesome, I am now a complete convert to the dark side of off-road riding. Some of the trails there were amazing!

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Littigator wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Muppet!

And Hello to CP and LiT and thanks Jash.

SA was awesome, I am now a complete convert to the dark side of off-road riding. Some of the trails there were amazing!

Cheers big ears :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SA?
  • I couldn't agree more! -5C in Woking and probably -8c in the sub-Arctiv tundra round Esher station. Try clothes x 2 - I had no shame this morning, 2 pairs of full-length cycling tousers, but it doesn't half keep your knees warm! Or even x3 - that was the gloves. I've yet to try doubling up on panties yet, but that day may come soon...Thursday at this rate! Very few cyclists about this morning, but several brass monkeys looking worried.
    iain_j wrote:
    MTFU'ing aside, oh my god it was unpleasantly cold this morning....
    But i'm not giving in to the bus :P
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • Littigator
    SA?

South Africa

Knysna to be precise. I posted this ride which was the route out and then had me turning around and heading back...a total of almost 4000 ft of climbing almost all off road there and back

Amazing scenery and only passed about 3 cars once i was heading up into the hills

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/237346