Silly commuting racing

Comments

• don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Cool! My daughter has got one of those :D

He'll probably need the seatpost extension kit though..
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I hate a spidey sense moment on the school run this afternoon, I was tootling along on the beast being very careful to watch out for icy patches when all of a sudden I get that being watched sensation (careful now) a quick look back confirms another cyclist on satan's own half electric bicycle abomination, cheeky git was trying to do a stealth attack, having none of that I put the hammer down and made my escape, close call even if my FCN is 1million I can't be overtaken by an electric bike.

As a reward I rode my road bike to the bottom of the drive and back all of 40 feet, oh how I miss dry weather :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    don_don wrote:
    Cool! My daughter has got one of those :D

He'll probably need the seatpost extension kit though..

Nah, he doesn't actually use his bikes. This one will fit on the train easily though...
  • :lol:

Now I saw someone cycling with those motorbike-style handwarmers the other day. I was all like 'dude, get some gloves'.

Do people think they're a good idea?
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    redvee wrote:
    iain_j wrote:
    I stabbed myself a few times on stray cable strands doing the brakes last night.

The worst mechanics injury going :cry:

Nearly, very very nearly, getting a finger caught in a quickly rotating fixed transmission...

Not an injury as such, but it nearly made me physically sick all the same :(
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Coriander wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Whatever. I'm not ashamed.

And that is the greater tragedy.

Just spotted Blondie's new bike, it's a little Nancy's bike:

earlyriderclassicmitts-zoom.jpg

Ooooh oooh, my niece had one of those balance bikes and now, after Father Christmas brought just the best present ever (apparently) at 3 and a half she is happily riding a proper bike with pedals, brakes an' all.

I am soooooo proud of her. We went round the block twice on Sunday - she can turn right as well as left and stop without falling over, we were riding on the road. She's a genius.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    See, there's hope for me yet.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    biondino wrote:
    See, there's hope for me yet.

Aaah, but she's a genius.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I managed to convert one of the kiddies old small bikes into a balance bike by removing the pedals :-) Works on the same principle and the crank arms don't move thanks to the fw mechanism! I was rather chuffed with myself and I think it even helped with the 2nd eldest getting rid of those bl00dy stabilisers finally! Roll on the summer and I can get no. 3 riding properly!

Had a bit of a hairy moment on the way in this morning. Was heading DOWN Denmark Hill towards the hospital, on the steepest section, having just absolutely blitzed a guy on a knobblie equipped MTB to find a massive pile of black ice in the effing bus lane :shock:

I thought to myself remain calm and hold on! When I spotted it I pulled the brakes on gently and tried to keep them on lightly as I went through but think the narrow tyres just cut straight through it, glad it was a straight section of road otherwise I would have been in the sh1t! Must just be a bad week as I had my usual last fast descent towards the house ruined yesterday by a burst water main on the steep section that had flooded the road! A quick move out into primary, much to the annoyance of the following car driver, meant I avoided the worst of the water but still got in with wet trousers!

Anyhow back to today, MTB guy lined up at the lights before the green a bit further down the road and gave it some welly away from the line with another roadie but I put them both in their place, i.e behind me, well before the next set of lights!

As I got out of court super early today I took the chance to try the route back from the bailey via Brixton, turns out it's about the same distance and time as going up and over the various hills so I can add a bit of variety to the commute now :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    I managed to convert one of the kiddies old small bikes into a balance bike by removing the pedals :-) Works on the same principle and the crank arms don't move thanks to the fw mechanism! I was rather chuffed with myself and I think it even helped with the 2nd eldest getting rid of those bl00dy stabilisers finally! Roll on the summer and I can get no. 3 riding properly!

Had a bit of a hairy moment on the way in this morning. Was heading DOWN Denmark Hill towards the hospital, on the steepest section, having just absolutely blitzed a guy on a knobblie equipped MTB to find a massive pile of black ice in the effing bus lane :shock:

I thought to myself remain calm and hold on! When I spotted it I pulled the brakes on gently and tried to keep them on lightly as I went through but think the narrow tyres just cut straight through it, glad it was a straight section of road otherwise I would have been in the sh1t! Must just be a bad week as I had my usual last fast descent towards the house ruined yesterday by a burst water main on the steep section that had flooded the road! A quick move out into primary, much to the annoyance of the following car driver, meant I avoided the worst of the water but still got in with wet trousers!

Anyhow back to today, MTB guy lined up at the lights before the green a bit further down the road and gave it some welly away from the line with another roadie but I put them both in their place, i.e behind me, well before the next set of lights!

As I got out of court super early today I took the chance to try the route back from the bailey via Brixton, turns out it's about the same distance and time as going up and over the various hills so I can add a bit of variety to the commute now :-)

So I see you're taking it easy in these poor weather conditions then :shock:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Bassjunkieuk
    edited January 2009
    Litt, I am trying to take it easy, i didnt even hit 30 down Gypsy hill today but I didn't expect that on a well used bus lane!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    I don't mean to be pedantic (actually I think I probably do) but if it's black ice you can't actually see it. Do you mean regular ice?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    biondino wrote:
    I don't mean to be pedantic (actually I think I probably do) but if it's black ice you can't actually see it. Do you mean regular ice?

It was that horrid black/grey slush so not technically black ice but not the nicest thing to encounter at 27mph!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    More than expected this morning - 9 of the toe rags, worked from home at lunch, so saw no one on the way back. Clutch died on car.....very sad Panda as I now have a £200 bill on a lean month.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    " let it snow let it snow let it snow"

jeez its chilly out tonight, its sleeting/snowing really heard here and was really hurting my face at 25mph + and just found out my waterproof jacket isn't so much anymore..booooo
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    scalp!

I feel slightly ashamed to admit that this is my first ever proper fully fledged SCR scalp (due mostly to my ridiculously inappropriate FCN number, and obviously not to the fact I am rather slow compared to most of you roadie-types), but so proud I must tell you anyway.

I was on the last two-mile stretch of my 12 mile commute, and saw a bloke on a road bike up ahead, lycra, clipless, overshoes and so I could tell he'd probably ridden a bike before. That thought popped into my head "I wonder if I could...." and quickly turned into "I will if it kills me.....", and so I went for it. Whizzed by and once I had checked to see I had really dropped him, I let out a little whoop of joy.

It's the little things, eh?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    6 this morning - 3 on one corner, in one move....do I get extra points?

Almost knocked off by a silly biatch who was corner hugging as she overtook me....suffice to say, she now has a dirty great big scratch down the side of her car....Ford Puma's are rubbish anyway.

Funny really, as nothing ever happens to me in general...:-(
  • blackworx
    blackworx Posts: 123
    Sitting at a T-junction on a red this morning, right, watching the traffic go past on the main road... Roadie goes past at a fair pace with a ninja wannabe roadie (you know the kind; all frantic and wobbly) desperately trying to get his scalp. My light goes green just in time for me to me to see the aftermath in the distance. The newbie "scalped" the roadie (at least he did in his head) and immediately wobbled off across 3 lanes of traffic to turn right. One of those moments when you really need a ref's whistle and a loud "OI!"
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    quite a few people on the roads today I decided the squadra as it seemed dry, managed to bag myself 2 proper SS and fixed types a couple of fakengers (but they too easy even if the beard drags me back :lol:

Saw this one roadie with some hideous coloured bar tape then noticed his tights matched, was an old chap but I did think to myself that'll be Jash in 20 years still a tart but the taste has gone haywire... binned him and another 2 nondescript roadies one on a ribble tried to resist but I left him for dead.

I wore my rain proof coat and was near boiling point by the time I got to work.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:

Saw this one roadie with some hideous coloured bar tape then noticed his tights matched, was an old chap but I did think to myself that'll be Jash in 20 years still a tart but the taste has gone haywire... binned him and another 2 nondescript roadies one on a ribble tried to resist but I left him for dead.

Well at least you're suggesting that my current taste is ok.
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I saw that SealSkinz calim to have come up with a breatheable & waterproof material, can it really work I wonder?
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Clever Pun wrote:

He said nothing of the sort...don;t get carried away young man!
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I saw that SealSkinz calim to have come up with a breatheable & waterproof material, can it really work I wonder?

No chance!...Just an excuse to charge even more than gortex
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

Clever Pun wrote:

you current taste isn't too offense no... :lol:
    I only have sealskinz gloves and they're awesome, it's the gore windstopper jacket on top of base and long sleeved jersey that did it.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • blackworx
    blackworx Posts: 123
    Clever Pun wrote:
    managed to bag myself 2 proper SS and fixed types a couple of fakengers (but they too easy even if the beard drags me back
    So true. I've think there's a mistake in the food chain classification there, as they are all quite frankly a bunch of wimps.

/me gets (flameproof) coat
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    linsen wrote:
    scalp!

I feel slightly ashamed to admit that this is my first ever proper fully fledged SCR scalp (due mostly to my ridiculously inappropriate FCN number, and obviously not to the fact I am rather slow compared to most of you roadie-types), but so proud I must tell you anyway.

I was on the last two-mile stretch of my 12 mile commute, and saw a bloke on a road bike up ahead, lycra, clipless, overshoes and so I could tell he'd probably ridden a bike before. That thought popped into my head "I wonder if I could...." and quickly turned into "I will if it kills me.....", and so I went for it. Whizzed by and once I had checked to see I had really dropped him, I let out a little whoop of joy.

It's the little things, eh?

Raaaaaaaa! :D
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    Careful everybody linsen has the taste for blood
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    Today I was really disappointed I didn't have the bike option. I would have ridden, honest! Probably won't be able to tomorrow either if I stay over at the missus's. Long ride on Saturday to make up for it, I think!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    blackworx wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    managed to bag myself 2 proper SS and fixed types a couple of fakengers (but they too easy even if the beard drags me back
    So true. I've think there's a mistake in the food chain classification there, as they are all quite frankly a bunch of wimps.

/me gets (flameproof) coat

Saw a swift SSer this morning. He was trying to keep up with The Sprocket Man, who appeared only to be operating on 50% power. :shock:

Spotted another swift SSer since New Year too. Rides a Felt, in the direction of Putney/Lower Richmond Road.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    I took the same scalp dozens of times today :twisted:

However it was my wife :roll:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    There are a lot of cyclist out there these days...

I scalped 3 got scalped by 2 and there was an incident with another 3 but I got blocked off purposely by a bus and a van so that doesn't count.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game