Silly commuting racing

Comments

• linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Can I nominate Linsen for the Barbara Cartland award for reaching 1000 posts in such a short time.

Hmm you are obviously not meaning to say that they have ALL been utter drivel are you?

:evil:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Lot of snow near my house but of the choice of the 2 roads one was pretty clear. Was pretty wet out there so took the fixed

barely anything around at all until I saw a roadie go past at a T junction, the traffic lights then proceeded to made me catching him impossible until I see him untill I see him waiting at the main cross roads by deptford bridge. I follow finding a suitable place to lay down some new years awesome... He's got Assos tights a carbon fibre ribble bike and joy of joys aero bars :lol: I make swift work of him and continue, after a bit my spidey sense is tingling and he's on my six we hit some traffic and he chooses a better line and is ahead again... More awesomeness was duly laid down and I binned him again.

Later on I see a guy in smart clothes (trousers and shoes) on a SS he's shifting too... I step it up and take no scalp but you have to establish the order of things... he zipps back past me as soon as I'm slowed by traffic and once the road opens up I also do and cruise past, you can see this is irritating the hell out of him and he does me a little dangerously at a junction. Needs to learn the rules of the road but he could be very fast indeed. For now... in my pocket.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    edited January 2009
    Nice a nice ride I posted it twice
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Had a laugh this morning at some pillock's expense. Didn't scalp anyone cos my gears were playing up like they do every time after i clean my bike :evil:

Some pillock cuts me up in the queue and bumps up onto the pavement. The roads were fine this morning, but the pavements were still visibly icy. A few seconds later there's a clatter and i see a bike flying up into the air, and he's picking himself up and dusting himself down. That'll teach him :D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Thanks to all those who welcomed me back.

Congratulations to Attica on his win

Get well soon kisses to Jen J. Hope you get better.

Now for Business.

Announcement

I'm putting all you SCR players, commuters and cyclists on notice!

As of tomorrow, I will be back on my bike. On the Fulcrums. Blood in my mouth tasted, thighs slightly larger, heart ever more angry, my mind that much more focused and my soul starving for the glory of scalps.

There will be a war on the roads of London in 2009.

Keep looking over your right shoulder.

DonDaddyD.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    I've missed the thing about Jen J breaking her shoulder????? Isn't it just a clever excuse to avoid a super massive triathlon??? :wink:

Get well soon JJ
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    belated happy new year all.
    too much snow on the road for me this morning.
    had some lovely crisp, clear mtb rides over xmas.
    09 race starts tomorrow. :twisted:
    Always in stealth mode
  • linsen
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've missed the thing about Jen J breaking her shoulder????? Isn't it just a clever excuse to avoid a super massive triathlon??? :wink:

Get well soon JJ

Mostly documented in social rides, and a bit a few pages back on here I think.
    I feel terrible about it :(
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Don't see how you can hold yourself responsible for some pi**ock with a dog so don't feel bad about it - sounds as though eveyone had a great day out up to that point 8)
  • Clever Pun
    linsen wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Get well soon JJ

you're not blaming yourself I trust? She'll be ok, I'm also sure they'll let her deffer the DIM as well... just has more time time become super fast on the bike... lots of spinning and that kinda thing will keep the legs in tip top condition
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • linsen
    Well I don't feel responsible but I do feel bad for Jen - it was one of those times when you think "5 seconds earlier / later and it wouldn't have happened"

And yes, till that point it was a truly grand day out - feel like we have earned a revisit when it's warmed up a bit, and we can spend EVEN LONGER lazing around in the pub at lunchtime!

The highlight for me was watching the sun set as we rode along the southwest coast road - magical :D
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    It really was a fantastic day :)

Only people that can possibly blame themselves is the dog owner for sending the dog across, and me for being behind the rest of you. But I'm not going to go into the 'what if's' there's no point.

I've now pulled out of DI - I wasn't allowed to defer, and got a measly £50 back. Would have been £100 before 1st Jan - I should have planned my fractures a bit more economically...;)
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Due to ice this morning I took a different route to Taunton, via Wellington

Coming down a slope out of Wellington a guy in 3/4s, hairy legs and with a small backpack overtakes me on a cheap looking Claud Butler road bike.

I hop on his wheel enjoying the free ride. Then the slope goes up. Claud Butler slows and I kick leaving him 3 cars back at the roundabout. i guess my single speed has the edge on shallow slopes up.

After the roundabout there is 2 or 3 miles of undulating. I look back a couple of times but he is nowhere to be seen. Then, suddenly just after Rumwell he goes past and I get on his wheel again. The road is going to slope up but I decide not to put in an effort. I don't fancy spinning down the other side of the hill into the traffic jams

I keep him a few bike lengths ahead. Then at the roundabout I take the "correct" straight over lane and he takes the left lane. Bad choice, I undertake him on the roundabout and exit to the right of the queue of traffic.

I keep my lead until the centre of Taunton where I dismount to use a short cut through the shopping centre

I think if I'd have really tried to leave him behind I'd have finsihed second. The relaxed approach is best.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Two things

Atts - congrats on poaching the 500th page milestone, I thought I had some time to make my run but was beaten by an even sneakier man.

Now then Jen....

I refer you to my previous statement on your "accidents"
    Jen wrote:
    Is anyone else here really accident-prone?

I wrote this in my blog earlier...A week before my first ultra, Kent 50, I was on crutches. 5 days before my PB marathon in Sydney, I twisted my ankle and had a hugely swollen and bruised foot. And the night before my last ultra I was nearly admitted to hospital and stuck on a drip.

Writing that was prompted by spending this evening in A&E after falling down the stairs (after I came back from my run, luckily )

It's mostly just bruising, and after a couple of trips to x-ray for my thumb ( ), the conclusion was tendon damage rather than bone damage.

But it's no surprise really that I've come off the bike a few times.

Am I just amazingly clumsy? Or is this normal?

Happy New Year by the way

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15018314&highlight=jen#15018314

For the hard of clicking this is what I said previously when Jen had cut her own hand off or something and "sadly" couldn't do the mountain section of SAS selection, on a pogo stick wearing a sofa on her back.

Greg T wrote:
    Jen - I diagnose that you sign up for massively hard endurance events and then knacker yourself just prior to them so you have an excuse to cry off.

It's Munchausens Syndrome or the China Syndrome or ADHD or something. I suggest you get yourself down to Stoke Mandeville and declare yourself "mental" they'll electro-shock you until you don't have these urges anymore. Also say you feel a bit "gay" they'll give you some more volts for that just in case.

Let us know how it goes, when you get out and learn to type again.

A pattern is emerging.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    linsen wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Get well soon JJ

Linsen in a attempt to thin the competition push her off :roll:

The SCR is a ruthless sport :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Announcement

As of tomorrow, I will be back on my bike. On the Fulcrums. Blood in my mouth tasted, thighs slightly larger, heart ever more angry, my mind that much more focused and my soul starving for the glory of scalps.

DonDaddyD.

You sure you're ready what with the failure of your war on SS/FG tee hee wuhahaha!!! :D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Greg T wrote:
    Two things

Atts - congrats on poaching the 500th page milestone, I thought I had some time to make my run but was beaten by an even sneakier man.

Now then Jen....

I refer you to my previous statement on your "accidents"
    Jen wrote:
    Is anyone else here really accident-prone?

I wrote this in my blog earlier...A week before my first ultra, Kent 50, I was on crutches. 5 days before my PB marathon in Sydney, I twisted my ankle and had a hugely swollen and bruised foot. And the night before my last ultra I was nearly admitted to hospital and stuck on a drip.

Writing that was prompted by spending this evening in A&E after falling down the stairs (after I came back from my run, luckily )

It's mostly just bruising, and after a couple of trips to x-ray for my thumb ( ), the conclusion was tendon damage rather than bone damage.

But it's no surprise really that I've come off the bike a few times.

Am I just amazingly clumsy? Or is this normal?

Happy New Year by the way

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15018314&highlight=jen#15018314

For the hard of clicking this is what I said previously when Jen had cut her own hand off or something and "sadly" couldn't do the mountain section of SAS selection, on a pogo stick wearing a sofa on her back.

Greg T wrote:
    Jen - I diagnose that you sign up for massively hard endurance events and then knacker yourself just prior to them so you have an excuse to cry off.

It's Munchausens Syndrome or the China Syndrome or ADHD or something. I suggest you get yourself down to Stoke Mandeville and declare yourself "mental" they'll electro-shock you until you don't have these urges anymore. Also say you feel a bit "gay" they'll give you some more volts for that just in case.

Let us know how it goes, when you get out and learn to type again.

A pattern is emerging.....

Meh. Rumbled again...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Announcement

DonDaddyD.

You sure you're ready what with the failure of your war on SS/FG tee hee wuhahaha!!! :D

Indeed. A war cry if ever there was one. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Surprisingly 2 this morning - MTB's; one with panniers - no lights on either. Must admit I wimped out on SS and went for road bike in the stiff NE breeze. Hopefully, the same wind will take me home tonight.....
  • DonDaddyD
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Announcement

DonDaddyD.

Indeed. A war cry if ever there was one. :twisted:

Who said the War against SS/FG was over. Its just become part of a larger battle. Some wars aren't able to be fought head on, so I figured I might go behind enemy lines acquire this lovely Cannondale Capo (Black and white) SS/FG I saw in Cyclopolis and fight the good fight with the enemies own weapons!!!!! HAHAHAHA. :twisted:

By the end of the summer, I expect to look like Linford... shouldn't be hard I've already packed the lunchbox....

:shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • An infiltrator? We can't have that...

You'll join the dark side before you know it DDD - get the Capo! :twisted:

What? We're dropping like flies... I'm recruiting!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bad luck Jen! Hope you heal quickly.

Nothing much to report this am - some one on a Charge with white rims. Took him but he RLJ'd 2 mins later, along with a High Viz Hybrider, pricks.

2009 is going to be a key cycling year for me. Fitness charge begins in earnest on Feb 1, but I have an all inclusive holiday to negotiate before that which will soon put pay to all 2009 miles already undertaken.

On the subject of tarts - I've ordered some custom Oakley's in red/white and am awaiting a quote for a new messenger bag (custom too), thank god for xmas and birthday cash...
  • DonDaddyD
    You'll join the dark side before you know it DDD - get the Capo! :twisted:

Loathe as I am to admit it. It looks lovely...
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    Talking of the dark side i've just returned for an exhausting 10 mile XC ride on the MTB, it was hard work, cycling XC in the snow & ice and over frozen tractor ruts is a difficult skill, thankfully I stayed on the bike but it was a close call several times. I did manage to hit 30mph on the road home (with tailwind).

So that's the MTB riding done for 2009 :wink:

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... ?id=599016

You know I could have sworn that was Greg T earlier :shock:
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Jen,

So sorry to hear about your busted humerus. If it's any consolation, I bust mine about 18 months ago in a fall off my bike; it healed quite quickly and I was able to cycle again with no pain within a few months.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Announcement

DonDaddyD.

And yet you start 2009 with this pathetic mewling:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The ONLY reason I haven't ridden in today is because I have Man Flu am short of breath and so dehydrated when I wake up my tongue is so dry curling it actually breaks the skin and makes it bleed.

MTFU.
    :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Announcement

DonDaddyD.

And yet you start 2009 with this pathetic mewling:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The ONLY reason I haven't ridden in today is because I have Man Flu am short of breath and so dehydrated when I wake up my tongue is so dry curling it actually breaks the skin and makes it bleed.

MTFU.

As I keep telling my girlfriend, Man Flu is a serious matter that shouldn't be taken lightly.

See there is an offical website and everything for this epidemic.

http://www.manflu.org.uk/
    Food Chain number = 4

• linsen
    Well after the three month or so Christmas break that we teachers get, I came to work today with all the things I need here so I can ride to work from tomorrow.

Except I forgot a HUGE pile of books which I must give back to my GCSE class. And I have actually marked them.

Hmph :?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Announcement

DonDaddyD.

Now that does appear to be fighting talk. It's such a shame that you moved to Wombledon as my lurvly new Aksium's are baying for some action :-) You won't have to look over your shoulder for me tho, just listen out for the click-click-click as glide past :twisted:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    linsen wrote:
    Well after the three month or so Christmas break that we teachers get, I came to work today with all the things I need here so I can ride to work from tomorrow.

Except I forgot a HUGE pile of books which I must give back to my GCSE class. And I have actually marked them.

Hmph :?

What's the punishemnt these days for forgetting your homework? :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.