Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Huge numbers, I don't ever remember a Jan like this? maybe the mild weather and trains misery of December? Epic numbers trying to get through at Oval, not a single one of them would dare cutting into a line in Waitrose but once on a bike you behave like an utter cvnt apparently
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179

Man down: me

sorry to hear that buddy, heal well.

FCN = 4
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,550
    edited January 2020
    My first 2020 cycle commute in to work today after I forgot to set my alarm yesterday so woke late and had to take the motorbike.
    It did seem to be a bit busier than usual but it was unseasonably mild and I guess there are a few new years resolutions being currently kept - apparently they'll drop off in a week or two https://www.bikeradar.com/news/strava-2020-quitters-day/

My route is quiet enough that there isn't much of crowd generally anyway, although there did seem to be a correlation between the shiny new flouro jackets and the people happy to cut in front of oncoming traffic to turn right at the bottom of Priory lane.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    heal up soon ABFG
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    Ouch, glad it wasn’t worse ABFG.
    I ventured Wimbledonwards this afternoon for a meeting, tried to take it easy as I didn’t want to arrive a sweaty mess.
    Using routes I don’t frequent resulted in a few pots.
    Nice to ride in daylight as well.
  • Man down: me

Ouch, hope that has heeled, wrists have a capacity to hurt like well...

Going directly north i haven’t noticed any increase in cyclist numbers since it’s so low any way.

Do have a day in town in a week or so so duly warned though I guess the numbers may have dropped by then!

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Still billions, though maybe fewer than yesterday. Pretty warm out there too, despite dressing down a bit.

Friday legs on a Wednesday - definitely not sloth and cheese related, probably that headwind on the way home last night.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    More mornings like this please. Tail wind, lots of quite quick folks generally riding sensibly within themselves, warm, bright, no daft drivers. Bliss.

Did ride with one very quick chap, whom Strava tells me managed a 20mph ave from Godalming to Blackfriars. Good effort.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Healing fast but only a hard knock and a bit of road rash in the end. Still loads of them out there. I got nudged right by a girl trying to overtake the person on the inside while we were two breast coming through/as we left the segregated section at Oval last night. Really offended that I raised her nudging me out in front of a van which apparently was to do with me cutting her up. The mind boggles.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    1st commute - milder than expected so sweaty mess. Nice tailwind flattering my Xmas excess. All the usual NY resolution lot are out in their Altura.
    Always in stealth mode
  • Definitely nicer run in this morning, after that grim headwind last night. And someone’s filled in the pothole near the ballet school. Knee better after pre-Christmas tumble on Priory Lane and it feels like it’s warming up. Tee shirt and shorts again soon!
  • asprilla

Definitely nicer run in this morning, after that grim headwind last night. And someone’s filled in the pothole near the ballet school. Knee better after pre-Christmas tumble on Priory Lane and it feels like it’s warming up. Tee shirt and shorts again soon!

February is, on average, the coldest month of the year. Still a ways to go yet.

Although I was in short sleeves today.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Back into shorts this morning.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    God I was over dressed this morning. At worst it should have been short sleeves and perhaps arm warmers. I saw the forecast for rain though and decided to wear winter boots, tights and a Gore long sleeve. Rather hot by the time I got to the Wharf!

I never normally seen any cyclists until I get to the Kingston area but this morning there were four of us in convoy from Esher/Thames Ditton which has never happened in the past
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • hopkinb

Back into shorts this morning.

I know it was mild, but :o
  • Knee warmers for me, not north of 15c yet. Arm warners had to come off after 15 mins though.
  • Felt stupidly overdressed in Southampton this morning and especially this afternoon, too warm for a 3-season gillet over long sleeved work shirt while putting some effort up the hilly bit on the way home; fluro orange Dafeet E-touch gloves off on home leg; no skullcap for first time in months; work shorts again (continuing a theme for past ~3 weeks, having swapped to trousers in early Nov).

Almost feel like I should get my spring cycling kit on and go for a short ~2 hour spin on the road bike, 12C in early Jan is nuts!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,550
    It was pretty unpleasant, there were a few people walking at the top of spankers hill as I came through after battling the wind all the way up.

Definitely nicer run in this morning, after that grim headwind last night

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056

Felt stupidly overdressed in Southampton this morning and especially this afternoon, too warm for a 3-season gillet over long sleeved work shirt while putting some effort up the hilly bit on the way home; fluro orange Dafeet E-touch gloves off on home leg; no skullcap for first time in months; work shorts again (continuing a theme for past ~3 weeks, having swapped to trousers in early Nov).

Almost feel like I should get my spring cycling kit on and go for a short ~2 hour spin on the road bike, 12C in early Jan is nuts!

I'd second the stupidly overdressed thing this morning - should have just gone with 3/4 shorts and a SS jersey with vest baselayer. Given that on this day 10 years ago, this area was covered in almost a foot of snow in places...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • asprilla
    It's almost like the climate is changing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    it might well be +10C even here in the wild west but its still bloody cold thanks to the ever present SW wind, I went out this morning dressed for double digits and promptly came back to change
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

So many cyclists out this morning, lots of shiny new kit too. Was riding in a group more or less from Putney to the City so took it easy. Biggest problem is the intermittent creak/scrape that the bike has picked up which is driving me mad. Running out of fettling options fast!

Start with the pedals, and work inwards towards the BB.

Also check that both front and rear drop-out are clean, and that the wheel is mounted securely in them. I sometimes get creaks if I haven't tightened the rear wheel or put it in the drops properly.

Saddle rails? Seatpost?

Also check that there are no issues with the stays...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Man down: me

Crested Clapham High St, lights green so moderate push, ahead of the crowd before the bars just washed out from under me. I think a dip in the surface combined with censored loads of diesel (always a bus park around there) meant down I went. Left hand down before a whack to the right forearm I think before surfing it out in style on my left censored cheek. not a mark or rip to the kit or anything I could see on the bike apart from the shifters needing knocking straight. All testament to the diesel you have to assume.

A few stopped to check I was ok but I barrelled out the road PDQ given the transit behind and glad i've now found some neurofen to the right wrist. It didn't help that I then had to spend my evening fitting new bathroom ceiling fans in the dark.

Ouch. How does it feel today?

Solid reactions to get out of the way of the transit.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    edited January 2020
    cjcp said:

Start with the pedals, and work inwards towards the BB.

Also check that both front and rear drop-out are clean, and that the wheel is mounted securely in them. I sometimes get creaks if I haven't tightened the rear wheel or put it in the drops properly.

Saddle rails? Seatpost?

Also check that there are no issues with the stays...

Chers CJ. Pedals & Seatpost are the last ports of call as I changed the BB 2 weeks ago. I half suspect it could also be something to do with the back wheel like a loose spoke or something.

Cracking tailwind this morning. Not looking forward to paying that back this evening! Left late last night by my standards (5.30) and was shocked by the sheer knobjockery on display. What a difference an hour makes.
  • hopkinb

Cracking tailwind this morning. Not looking forward to paying that back this evening!

You'll be pleased to know that the wind is forecast to die down by 17:00. Still a headwind, but much weaker.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    hopkinb said:

Cracking tailwind this morning. Not looking forward to paying that back this evening!

You'll be pleased to know that the wind is forecast to die down by 17:00. Still a headwind, but much weaker.
    .. but likely with extra rain :(
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    bumped into JonGinge this morning, nice to chat. I believe he's the only one of us still posting who features on page 1 of this monster thread back in 2008...
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • hopkinb
    rower63 said:

hopkinb said:

.. but likely with extra rain :(
    *Checks Met Office*

:'(
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Morning, rower! Just about still going. Mainly a lurker these days

Rain this evening? Joy
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Well that was a damp ~30mins in Southampton, thoroughly soaked just popping to the shop and back, that heavy rain came and went a bit early than the last forecast I looked at!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo