Silly commuting racing

Comments

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    edited December 2019
    This chap?

I did wonder if he was heroically trying to stop all of the pavement drivers

Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • First time out with “all season” 28 tyres today as felt the slicks were sliding in the rain. Is it just my imagination or is there a slight difference in speed for same effort? Felt like harder work today but that may simply have been the lack of wind assistance.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good ride home last night from Tower Hill to Queen's Ride with a chap on a Scott wearing what seemed to be a most excellent Christmas-themed jersey (they looked like Christmas trees).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    edited December 2019
    cjcp said:

Good ride home last night from Tower Hill to Queen's Ride with a chap on a Scott wearing what seemed to be a most excellent Christmas-themed jersey (they looked like Christmas trees).

Exits Lurk mode...

Thanks for the tow, tried to stay a reasonable distance behind you and do the odd bit of work but you sailed straight back past whenever I did and I didn't get chance to thank you before Priory Lane. Still slowly getting back into cycling again after a serious off on CS3/Cable St a couple of years ago (right hooked by a van, broken skull, v broken bike). Sadly an active toddler and a wife undergoing a long recovery from two broken legs last January (skiing this time) has reduced my bike time to a minimum and I'm carrying about 15kg more timber than my real SCR days.

Jersey is a Royal Navy/Royal Marines charity one. Seem to get less aggro from drivers after they see the Royal Marines bit ;)

"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    welcome back, that's a pretty special jersey set for sure
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107

Seem to get less aggro from drivers after they see the Royal Marines bit ;)

If you're after less aggression from drivers then get one of those idiotic hi-vis "Polite" vests.

How they don't fall foul under section 90 of the Police Act is beyond me.
  • itboffin
    these days i get less by not cycling to work anymore, works a treat. Bloody cyclists clogging up the roads etc etc etc
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Anyone confirm when the cull ends in RP please? Absolutely fed up of kingston hill/A3/Putney high street.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,534
    It lasts 6 weeks from the first monday in November so this should be the last week of it until February.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

Anyone confirm when the cull ends in RP please? Absolutely fed up of kingston hill/A3/Putney high street.

What time are you trying to go through? I've been able to go through from 6.30 in the morning to 19.00 in the evening.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • asprilla said:

Anyone confirm when the cull ends in RP please? Absolutely fed up of kingston hill/A3/Putney high street.

What time are you trying to go through? I've been able to go through from 6.30 in the morning to 19.00 in the evening.
    monkimark said:

It lasts 6 weeks from the first monday in November so this should be the last week of it until February.

Thanks both.
    I try to head through kingston gate between 0600-0615 usually...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

cjcp said:

Exits Lurk mode...

Thanks for the tow, tried to stay a reasonable distance behind you and do the odd bit of work but you sailed straight back past whenever I did and I didn't get chance to thank you before Priory Lane. Still slowly getting back into cycling again after a serious off on CS3/Cable St a couple of years ago (right hooked by a van, broken skull, v broken bike). Sadly an active toddler and a wife undergoing a long recovery from two broken legs last January (skiing this time) has reduced my bike time to a minimum and I'm carrying about 15kg more timber than my real SCR days.

Jersey is a Royal Navy/Royal Marines charity one. Seem to get less aggro from drivers after they see the Royal Marines bit ;)

Hello!!!! Welcome back!

And flippin' 'eck!

I read your post yesterday and confess to riding very tentatively along Cable Street yesterday evening. At which part did it happen?

You're going very well for someone easing back into it; that was a good ride - made it back in time for me to do Dad's Taxi duties. I thought you'd turned off towards Barnes.

The jersey was superb :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rode home last night at what felt like a constant 45 degree angle and was completely cracked by the end. Few ciders revived me when I got home though. Still better than getting the train
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Day off the bike yesterday due to going to the theatre after work, which seems to have been a good tactical move.

Returned today - apparently I was being drafted by someone on a flat bar hub geared bike with a pannier. I was putting in some effort, but he was always right behind me when we had to stop/slow for lights, and I couldn't shake him. I thought age and fatness were finally catching up with me

A young guy pulled up alongside me at the lights at the southern end of southwark bridge and first thanked me for showing him sex panther, and then asked if I knew the bloke with panniers (who had carried straight on at elephant). I said no, and he said the guy had been 3 inches from my wheel, hunched right over the bars, legs going like the clappers. He must have been very close, I'm normally very sensitive to drafters.

Left all for dead up and over Southwark bridge, including a skinny guy on a very nice looking bare metal (maybe ti, maybe not) hub geared drop bar tourer with extra long flaps on his guards. Lovely sensible commuting bike.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Only cycling one day this week (Mon / Tue WFH, Thurs drinking, Fri drinking) and it looks like I picked a good one. Everyone dispatched.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Legs were fresh today after a day on the train yesterday (out for dinner with work). I can report that South West Trains are absolute carnage at the moment, I managed to get on a train to Surbiton late last night (trains to Kingston during the strike seem to stop running at about 9pm) and then had to wait almost half an hour for an Uber to get me home........
  • cjcp said:

Exits Lurk mode...

Welcome back and wow, that's some accident you had :(

Cable street has changed a bit since then I think? You get priority over most of the side roads now (assuming that hadn't happened then) and *most* obey it. Obs be prepared for plan B in case they don't (same as anywhere really). Oh...it's got a fair bit busier...and they are doing something to the bit around the school. No idea what they are doing but hopefully something better...

Anyway, off to buy a Royal Marines Super Commando No1 killer Afganistan 2001-2010 jersey :P
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    edited December 2019
    stopped commuting now for the year but need to do 5.4 miles a day for the rest of the December to hit 2k for the year not done to bad considering i've had a bad DVT this year and needed to be careful hopefully next year i am going to smash this years total.

using the hybrid with full guards on now is working a treat in this weather
  • Last night was horrible, only bonus was the guy on a fixie trying to stay ahead of me in pieces when we stopped at the lights. I need check strava to see how far off 9k KM i'll be this year (doubt i'll break it as usual)
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • hopkinb
    Full of cold, so tried a gentle commute. Then there was a moped who gave me a tow for a bit, then there was a rider who came past when I was getting said tow, so I had to accelerate to keep up with him, and then it was business as usual. Except the extra coughing and the snot rockets.
  • Nice commute in, gaggle of regulars including shouty hail mary morvello willier guy, Mr Spatz on his aero bike and the bearded unit of a guy who can always crank out good pace. I hung back and chatted to the older chap on his green bike (not on here but is always friendly, drives to Epson then rides in).

If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Okay so it's not really cycling but I'm loving the vibe of this (listen with sound, preferably head phones) and I think we can all identify with the ending

FCN = 4
  • kingstonian
    Decent ride in today. Went past CJs house but as a) he was fixing a slow puncture, b) I'd been delayed by going to polling station, and c) I was in danger of not being in the office in time for a meeting I left him to pump up his tyres and headed into the maelstrom.
  • kingstonian
    And this evening I am avoiding the work Xmas party like the plague and riding home. Bloody hate work parties, they are always cringeworthy. Much rather ride home in the rain than be at one.
  • hopkinb
    Gosh that was grim. Where did all that standing water come from so quickly?
  • Oh great. Not looking forward to this now
  • itboffin

And this evening I am avoiding the work Xmas party like the plague and riding home. Bloody hate work parties, they are always cringeworthy. Much rather ride home in the rain than be at one.

I'm with you on that one, did the same myself last week. Years of office parties in various roles and companies and its all the same people think it's a free for all, say and do what you want.

No thanks
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    You grumpy old barstewards :p
    Even enjoyed splashing through the rain as I haven’t been on the bike in over a week.
  • It was a really good ride home! Not windy, not cold, all good.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Fark where did that wind come from this morning. On a section I normally travel at 22mph along at, I was struggling to hit 9mph!
    given it's a pretty busy, narrow, 40mph road, it wasn't pleasant in the slightest :(
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...