Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

Not commuting by bikes since end of 2016 and the first few months of 2017 shows
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dekant
    dekant Posts: 114
    Pretty wet this morning but can now confirm that northwave flash winter boots are completely waterproof as well as warm.

On the downside, I can't seem to set the cleats so that they don't hurt my feet which is irritating as they were expensive and can't be returned now :-(
  • dekant
    Oh and not much silly commute action but did accidentally find myself caught up in the middle of a police raid on the ride home last night. Audio NSFW
    https://youtu.be/rr_GP9i6eoo
  • itboffin
    dekant said:

Pretty wet this morning but can now confirm that northwave flash winter boots are completely waterproof as well as warm.

On the downside, I can't seem to set the cleats so that they don't hurt my feet which is irritating as they were expensive and can't be returned now :-(

Setting up cleats is a nightmare, I'm a year into a new pair of bonts and i still cant dial them in
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • That's me done commuting for the year. It's been a good year for it, more km than last year, not much ice and only one crash. Happy holidays all!
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    edited December 2019
    dekant said:

Pretty wet this morning but can now confirm that northwave flash winter boots are completely waterproof as well as warm....(

I agree, but be careful: I find them difficult to put on, the "ankle tube" is quite small and tight. If you get enough grip between your heel and the material on the inside as you pull them on using the rear loop, it's easy to rip the lining away from the outer in the ankle tube, making them subsequently REALLY difficult to put on without all that material clumping up under your heel. This I know from experience grrrr.

I now use a shoe-horn to get them on...
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    dekant said:

That's odd since mine have more air vents on the sole than my summer shoes! I got sick of having soggy feet because of the crap design that I plugged them up with epoxy. Nice and dry now!

I wonder if you have a newer version where the designers haven't overlooked the fact that waterproof shoes probably shouldn't have lots of holes in the underside.
  • dekant
    jspash said:

I wonder if you have a newer version where the designers haven't overlooked the fact that waterproof shoes probably shouldn't have lots of holes in the underside.

This is the latest model but not sure if it changed beyond the colour. They do look like they have some large holes in them covered by a wire mesh, but the insole is supposed to be fully waterproofed as well so would block water too
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    a nice quiet cycle-commute in today. Didn't get out of bed until 7-30, left home at 8-30 and got into the office at 10 am.

Didn't see a soul on the way, not too many cars either
    FCN = 4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    There seemed to be more dog walkers out in Bushy Park this morning, they were looking more leisurely than usual too. Don't the barstewards know some of us have to work?
    Other than that quite a pleasant ride in, I should have left earlier and taken the long way round.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Bloody typical.........had my last commute on Friday, and Sunday came down with a heavy cold. Was hoping to get out for a few spins over Xmas but feel like sheeeeet at the moment so the last thing on my mind is exercise.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Joined Embankment at Vauxhall Bridge this morning before heading East.

Totally empty, even the cars had disappeared today
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    mtb-idle said:

Joined Embankment at Vauxhall Bridge this morning before heading East.

Totally empty, even the cars had disappeared today

there's a clue in that
  • Haven’t seen another soul on a bike for a few days now! Still plenty of cars and what not as where I work is very car centric plus proximity to Heathrow and all of that!
  • kingstonian
    Last commute of the year for me, lovely quiet roads on the way into London today. One wheelsucker, eventually shifted him on the Kings Road, then it was a solo ride for the rest of the way to the office.
  • itboffin

Last commute of the year for me, lovely quiet roads on the way into London today. One wheelsucker, eventually shifted him on the Kings Road, then it was a solo ride for the rest of the way to the office.

I know the topic has been done to death but seriously who are these people that draft strangers on the commute and why?

Its a commute FFS
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    edited December 2019
    itboffin said:

I know the topic has been done to death but seriously who are these people that draft strangers on the commute and why?

Its a commute FFS
    It's very odd. If you did that when running, it's be close to stalking...

Clear run for me. Broke a gear cable yesterday, so took the CX bike, pootled along the trails in RP, and then sauntered in. Roads were great. Just illustrates how many people use the car on a day-to-day basis, and that the answer is not another bridge like Goldsmith suggests, but less cars on the road.

Grrr.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kingstonian
    itboffin said:

Its a commute FFS
    It is so bizarre. What I find the funniest is that when I pulled up at traffic lights he wouldn't pull alongside me, instead he'd stop a few feet back so he wasn't in my direct line of sight unless I swivelled my head round like an owl. If he'd pulled alongside and said that he was thankful for the tow I'd have no problem whatsoever, but to try to pretend that you aren't even there is just weird.
  • itboffin

itboffin said:

Its a commute FFS
    It is so bizarre. What I find the funniest is that when I pulled up at traffic lights he wouldn't pull alongside me, instead he'd stop a few feet back so he wasn't in my direct line of sight unless I swivelled my head round like an owl. If he'd pulled alongside and said that he was thankful for the tow I'd have no problem whatsoever, but to try to pretend that you aren't even there is just weird.
    Perhaps he was in stealth mode :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Tonight on CS3.

Cyclist jumps a red light. About 100 yards down the road, I see that he stops by one of the junctions, and appears to be remonstrating with a driver who was attempting to turn right of the main road.

As I ride past, I hear him say to the driver, "You need to be more careful".

Um, ok, but had you not jumped the red, you wouldn't have been there in the first place.

He subsequently jumps a further three reds before we reach Bodean's.

Wonder what he would have said if he had hit a ped, or been clipped by a vehicle, on his way through.

Merciful gods.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kingstonian
    Lovely quiet roads this morning, shame it won't last.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Indeed, enjoy it while it lasts. And someone needs to sweep Millbank after the new years festivities, loads of glass and plastic strewn around.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535

Indeed, enjoy it while it lasts. And someone needs to sweep Millbank after the new years festivities, loads of glass and plastic strewn around.

Yeah - I thought that on the A24/CS7 - loads of broken bottles everywhere. I spent half of my lunch break picking glass out of new tyres
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    First commute since Xmas.

Did 90k including Staples Lane, Leith and Box on Sunday after three weeks off so I was suffering to start with. Still, didn't do too badly. Was rinsed by everyone in the park, but made a much better fist of things on Embankment.

Freezing fingers and toes, but sweating heavily.

On the plus side, they have improved the temporary showers we have at the moment (portacabin) so they actually force water out with sufficient pressure that it doesn't just run down the outside of the pipe.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • This mild weather means lots of nodders back out there this morning. full marks to the guy who should know better trying to get between me and another cyclist through the narrow segregated section by Kennington. Else, thank god for that tail wind to soften the blow of 2 weeks off the bike!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    So many cyclists out this morning, lots of shiny new kit too. Was riding in a group more or less from Putney to the City so took it easy. Biggest problem is the intermittent creak/scrape that the bike has picked up which is driving me mad. Running out of fettling options fast!
  • Man down: me

Crested Clapham High St, lights green so moderate push, ahead of the crowd before the bars just washed out from under me. I think a dip in the surface combined with shit loads of diesel (always a bus park around there) meant down I went. Left hand down before a whack to the right forearm I think before surfing it out in style on my left arse cheek. not a mark or rip to the kit or anything I could see on the bike apart from the shifters needing knocking straight. All testament to the diesel you have to assume.

A few stopped to check I was ok but I barrelled out the road PDQ given the transit behind and glad i've now found some neurofen to the right wrist. It didn't help that I then had to spend my evening fitting new bathroom ceiling fans in the dark.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

Man down: me

Crested Clapham High St, lights green so moderate push, ahead of the crowd before the bars just washed out from under me. I think a dip in the surface combined with censored loads of diesel (always a bus park around there) meant down I went. Left hand down before a whack to the right forearm I think before surfing it out in style on my left censored cheek. not a mark or rip to the kit or anything I could see on the bike apart from the shifters needing knocking straight. All testament to the diesel you have to assume.

A few stopped to check I was ok but I barrelled out the road PDQ given the transit behind and glad i've now found some neurofen to the right wrist. It didn't help that I then had to spend my evening fitting new bathroom ceiling fans in the dark.

Ooof. Hope you're OK.

Where on earth have all the cyclists come from? It was like it was a fine morning in June (well, apart from the weather). Tremendous to see, apart from all the wobbling, the general slowness and the lemming-like suicidal filtering. Come to think about it, it was the same yesterday - they can't all be resolutionists can they? I assumed they just went for a couple of half-hearted jogs, or joined a gym, then got back on the cake and scratchings. Yesterday there was a particularly wobbly woman on a hybrid type bike just going "ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod" as she formed part of a big group of cyclists pulling away from the advance stop box at the lights by Kennington tube, not many of whom were paying too much attention to her personal space requirements.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Train fares have increased :)

I seem to be solicited for bike buying advice all over the office at the moment.

Hope there are not too many long lasting affects ABFG. I went went down on some white paint towards the end of last year and was rewarded with some quite impressive road rash all over my shin and backside.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    On the subject of new cyclists - I particularly enjoy the speedsters, who hare off from the lights, legs whirring like road runner, who then blow up completely at 35 kph and sag down over their bars like they have just climbed an alp.