Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

rower63 said:

Not too bad this morning, but first confirmation that Northwave GTX waterproof boots need a bit of help to keep the water out. It all seeps down your socks even with overshoes. Nice and warm though.

I have the same boots. Overshoes aren't the answer, GripGrab gaiters are ( https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-cyclingaiter/ ).
    They go over the top of the boots, and the tights or longs go overv the top of them. My feet emerge dry after even the wettest rides. They are a revelation. Care needs to be taken getting them on, as the neoprene inner is soft - they need to be rolled on.

I've been missing all the wind, forced on to PT by a horrid cold...
    Thanks - I have used the cheapskate version in the past. The wrist cut off Marigold gloves does the trick perfectly.

Does the soft collar part keep water out with the gaiters on? If so that would be great.
    does it work better with these?

Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991

Does the soft collar part keep water out with the gaiters on? If so that would be great.

yes it does - I believe the gore-tex liner extends up to the top of the soft collar (but don't rip the stitching apart trying too hard to "slip" them on, like I did once!)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • adskis
    adskis Posts: 85
    Seriously, what is it with people!
    Drafting w@nkr couldn’t hold his own into the 50 mph headwind last night but was happy to sit 6 inches off my rear wheel! In the dark, in the rain, in that wind, on a really busy commuting route. Tw@t!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

hopkinb said:

Confirmation this morning that resolutionists are soluble in water

Second that - room to breathe on Putney Bridge and King’s Road has been the silver lining to Storm Brendan.

Found the long way home last night, via Richmond rather than RP, a good deal less knackering. This morning was a delight. Just rain.
    This is my winter route home if I don't reach RP before the gates close. However, after a scooter tried to take me out a couple of years ago, I'm now very wary of the Petersham route and prefer to go through Twickenham and Teddington.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    j_mcd said:

Didn't cycle in this morning as the rain sounded torrential when I was in the house. Wasn't actually that bad when I was heading to the train so perhaps I could have cycled but it would've been a wet one.

Suppose I'd better go for a run instead then. Canary Wharf is such an inspiring location for such pursuits...

Where fun goes to die...

I've run along the river and Cable St etc to Wapping High Street. So dull.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    cjcp said:

This is my winter route home if I don't reach RP before the gates close. However, after a scooter tried to take me out a couple of years ago, I'm now very wary of the Petersham route and prefer to go through Twickenham and Teddington.

I'm intrigued by this - why would you choose to take a mental busy route when you've got the option of a traffic-free couple of miles instead?
  • cjcp

cjcp said:

I'm intrigued by this - why would you choose to take a mental busy route when you've got the option of a traffic-free couple of miles instead?
    It's if the park is closed because of the cull. (Forgot to add that bit.)

At that time, the traffic is generally ok.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,535
    Richmond park is closed in the evenings for 6 weeks the deer cull twice a year so you can't cycle through after 7:30pm.

I'm back cycling after taking the fast bike (the one with an engine) for the last 3 days. Looking pleasant this morning but a bit damp and headwindy this evening. At least I have well rested legs.

cjcp said:

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    cjcp said:

cjcp said:

It's if the park is closed because of the cull. (Forgot to add that bit.)

At that time, the traffic is generally ok.
    Gotcha. Dodging bullets not your thing?
  • Am getting very bored of fvckwits already this year, from the RLJ fairweather muppets who the rain didn't dissolve to the cars and mini road sweeper (FFS) which happily pulled out on me this morning to the woman in a private plated reg SUV happy to beep and shout at me last night but not willing to roll down her window to discuss her issues once stuck at the lights 100 metres later.

I am not sure either a camera, xanax or rocket launcher would help me in any way.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • silverstreak
    silverstreak Posts: 49
    edited January 2020

cjcp said:

I’ve also asked myself this. I go to Teddington and rarely flip between the two in the summer. In the winter, though, and this week’s gales aside, sometimes I just can’t be bothered to turn left and slog up Priory Lane knowing I’ve got to get off the bike (twice) to go through the gates, when I could just carry on through the lights into Sheen. Lazy, I guess. And I pay for it when the traffic is backed up (except when I get to draft rower).
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    sounds like it could be Rhys Keepence
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    monkimark said:

Richmond park is closed in the evenings for 6 weeks the deer cull twice a year so you can't cycle through after 7:30pm.

I'm back cycling after taking the fast bike (the one with an engine) for the last 3 days. Looking pleasant this morning but a bit damp and headwindy this evening. At least I have well rested legs.

cjcp said:

For those who might be wondering about taking that route, it is 8pm during the deer cull, not 7.30pm.
  • monkimark
    edited January 2020
    Ah yes - 8pm- 7:30am, got it backwards. Although I'm always a bit nervous about entering the park just before 8 in case they lock the exit gate before I get there and I have to climb the walls to escape the gunfire :#
  • kingstonian
    Yeah, I know what you mean but in reality they give it at least half an hour before they lock the gates
  • cjcp
    rower63 said:

sounds like it could be Rhys Keepence

That was my first thought.

MEEP, MEEP!!!!!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Might need to get those ice spike tyres fitted this weekend and ditch the shorts, wintery conditions around 0C (feeling sub zero) incoming around Southampton.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    by the sounds of it a lot of crashes this morning, i went out in the afternoon and it was still dicy, i had to turn around due to flooded roads again as well.

MTB for me tomorrow me thinks
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kingstonian
    Wrap up warm tomorrow morning, folks
  • anonymousblackfg
    anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
    edited January 2020
    I had to go with the family to RP yesterday morning, so many cyclists in the Rohampton Gate car park but I was staggered by the number getting bikes off/out of cars. People not riding the hills and too scared of ice to ride there or is that usual?

(train w4nkered it today as bike was in work, got a very early trains but it was still just as rubbish as ever)
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Weird one this morning. Riding through Oval, when a bloke a bike or two in front of me went down like he'd been shot. There was a car closeish, but I didn't see any contact. The guy I was riding with thought perhaps his wheel might have come out of the dropouts somehow. Whatever happened, he won't be riding home, as his fork had snapped clean through. I helped to clear bike bits out of the junction, and the poor sod seemed to be in a bit of pain. It was a "proper" bike - a caad 12.

Otherwise uneventful apart from seeing an old mate for a chat, not even that cold.
  • If you're going to ride a crack'n'fail what do you expect, clues in the name?
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Not as cold as expected today.Still felt like hard work though. When is it light and nice in the morning again...
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • cjcp
    j_mcd said:

Not as cold as expected today.Still felt like hard work though. When is it light and nice in the morning again...

Soon.

I hope.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Almost taken out by a right dickhead tonight. Priory lane (as always), slowing just behind a car that was indicating to turn right and just starting to pass it on the left. Mr speedy on his bike decides that's a great time to overtake me and go through that gap.

I called him a twat and overtook him back before the gates, obviously.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Felt rather colder that yesterday, think that was because there was more moisture in the air. Riding through Bushy Park it dropped to -5.6Garmin, probably about -2'C I guess. Saw more cyclists than usual on my route which seemed odd, even picked up a fairy at one point.
  • monkimark
    Minus 3 (according to a proper thermometer) when I left the house and down to just under -6 G coming through richmond park. With hindsight I probably should have worn my winter jersey.

But yeah, still quite a few cyclists about
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    On the train, courtesy of London's finest scrotes. Went to ride home last night and found (the admitted weak link) steel cable securing my front wheel had been snipped, and said wheel removed. Sometimes I thread the heavy chain through my front wheel as well, sometimes I don't. Sod's law that I didn't yesterday. Shopping for a new wheel plus accessories and I guess I should put another heavy chain in the basket as well.

I suppose I should take some comfort from the fact that the other three locks (all gold sold secure) securing the frame and rear wheel to the rack were undisturbed. I have taken no chances though, and got permission to bring the bike up to the office while I wait for the new bits to arrive.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited January 2020
    hopkinb said:

On the train, courtesy of London's finest scrotes. Went to ride home last night and found (the admitted weak link) steel cable securing my front wheel had been snipped, and said wheel removed. Sometimes I thread the heavy chain through my front wheel as well, sometimes I don't. Sod's law that I didn't yesterday. Shopping for a new wheel plus accessories and I guess I should put another heavy chain in the basket as well.

I suppose I should take some comfort from the fact that the other three locks (all gold sold secure) securing the frame and rear wheel to the rack were undisturbed. I have taken no chances though, and got permission to bring the bike up to the office while I wait for the new bits to arrive.

Obviously my normal liberal compass deserts me at times like this. Hangin's too good for 'em.

I'm using a public car park for my bike at the moment (hence it's Di2 upgrade is sitting in the garage waiting). Puts the fear of god into me and I make a detour at lunch time to check she's ok. Of course I'm not using the bike racks at the far end, I'm using the railings outside the guard's office.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX