Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    don_don wrote:
    I'm still wondering how webbed fingers would be any help though :?

Get yourself an extra large pair of oven gloves and find out the hard way, like I did.

Perhaps a set of goggles as well
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T wrote:
    don_don wrote:

Get yourself an extra large pair of oven gloves and find out the hard way, like I did.

STOP IT.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Greg T wrote:
    don_don wrote:

STOP IT.

dammit, there goes another keyboard, now coffee flavoured and not working
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    well my commute is getting slower and slower and slower. Soon the pedestrians will be scalping me :(
    Obviously time for a holiday.
    I need to try pedalling a bit harder too, maybe.
    Or swapping Frank for Gladys?
    Speeding up tonight though - bike tucked up in the boot of the car I left at work for the weekend :D
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • My commute was fine but completely uneventful this morning - have the schools begun to go on holiday? There seemed to be very little traffic compared to the usual.

Also, very disappointing levels of cyclists. It must be christmas party week or something.

Also, I have a complaint. Why is my head so sweaty? I know I have pretty thick hair, but it's ridiculous. Grumble grumble.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    The fact that someone was killed on (or possibly near) my commute route this morning has turned me into a bundle of nerves.

Nothing silly about my ride home tonight, it'll be taken VERY carefully.

It'll probably be a good hour before I unclench when I get home.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Take the hat off.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    Take the hat off.
    Shave the beard
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Take the hat off.
    Shave the beard

HAhahahaha :D

yeah but the trucking fraternity will kick Dave out for being clean shaven!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • JonGinge wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Take the hat off.
    Shave the beard

:lol:

RIGHT!

I am putting my avatar back to me this evening.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    JonGinge wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Take the hat off.
    Shave the beard

:lol:

RIGHT!

I am putting my avatar back to me this evening.

NOOOOOOOOOOO DAVE

Well Not a single bike in sight today, Left late though as felt sick, was in work for 9 and left for home at 2, Ohhh well there is always tomorrow.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Wave goodbye to Dave the Trucker...
  • Wave goodbye to Dave the Trucker...

Not sure about that. Dave seems to scrub up quite well. :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Wave goodbye to Dave the Trucker...

Well, you know, I had a shave, changed my hat...
  • Greg66 wrote:

Yeah, but you've done something with your hair, haven't you? Combed it, maybe?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Yeah, but you've done something with your hair, haven't you? Combed it, maybe?

Well you couldn't see the ratty greasy ponytail on my other pic because my fat neck was in the way.

I've just moved it to the side.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Greg66 wrote:
    The Giant is technically described as an 'Urban MTB' in the blurb - provided you're on reasonably slick tyres it does come a a shock to the roadies when they get passed - although I have to confess my score on roadies is in single figures - um - (shuffles feet)actually one
    :oops:

Urban MTB? Wtf?

You know, for urban mountains.

It's so obvious really. The clue's in the name.

Ear! you takin der p*ss out of my bike ??

Means really that its urban proof - 36 spokes instead of 32, lightened MTB frame, 28/38/48 front ring go anywhere do anything (except pass roadies)
  • Greg66 wrote:
    The Giant is technically described as an 'Urban MTB' in the blurb - provided you're on reasonably slick tyres it does come a a shock to the roadies when they get passed - although I have to confess my score on roadies is in single figures - um - (shuffles feet)actually one

Urban MTB? Wtf?

Means really that its urban proof - 36 spokes instead of 32, lightened MTB frame, 28/38/48 front ring go anywhere do anything (except pass roadies)

No, no, no. Not at all, my good man.

I'll callin' yer bike a POOF! :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Also, I have a complaint. Why is my head so sweaty? I know I have pretty thick hair, but it's ridiculous. Grumble grumble.

Its the dankness of this time of year. Everything gets dank and a bit moist. There's nothing for it but to wait for a nice cold snap to dry the air.

Either that or a liberal dose of Right Guard. Remember to close your eyes first :wink:
  • Moist. You had to use the "m" word, didn't you?

You're a bad man, don_don. Very bad. Y

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • It's better than dank... which he also used.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Dave be true to yourself, mate. It's not good hiding behind a false persona and the anonymity of the web. The reason you're getting a wet, moist, dank head is that mask of the pretty girl you seem intent on hiding behind.

A word of warning though.....You'll be found out.

I know everyone at the SCR party said they were convinced by your "fancy" dress, but to be honest the stubble and braces were hidden by the dim lights, maybe they were being a bit polite, but mate, I could tell.

Also the next time you come to and SCR meet, don't leave your truck outside, and if you do, remember to lock it up!!!! No one really wants to see the contents of an Ann Summers lorry strewn over a pavement. While you were getting lashed the local herberts were helping themselves to all sorts of things that would make a grown up blush. Lyrca is one thing, what you were carrying in that truck was something completely different.

Oh and the pump you sold me won't fit my bike I wanted the presta...and those novelty pink inner tubes, weren't inner tubes...That's the last time I inflate anything you sell me on the train home! :shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm away for a few days and SCR has morphed into Webbed Horse Fluffers. I'm glad to see nothing has changed :)

Back on the bike this evening after a few rides off chasing the beer monkies (you know, the ones that steal all your money and crap in your mouth while you're asleep). Damn it was good to get back on the bike though! All I need now is some daylight and all will be well in the world again. Speaking of which, not long to the shortest day of the year and then things start to get better :lol:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Urban MTB? Wtf?

No, no, no. Not at all, my good man.

I'll callin' yer bike a POOF! :twisted:

Right - that's enough - we'll settle this like gentlemen

You're ugly and you're mother dresses you funny :evil:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Do any of our resident MTB commuters run out of gears on the flat?

On today's commutes, I was left clicking in thin air, so to speak, glancing down at my sprockets thinking, "What? You mean that's it?".

Nothing on the way home tonight, and I was really up for some Roadie-Worrying too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

On today's commutes, I was left clicking in thin air, so to speak, glancing down at my sprockets thinking, "What? You mean that's it?".

Nothing on the way home tonight, and I was really up for some Roadie-Worrying too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    cjcp wrote:

I used to, until I got bigger chainrings for the front, now running 48-12 with slicks....Good for roadie hunting :twisted:

It works the other way around as well :) ....When the first time I went out on my road bike, I was hoofing it down a hill clicking, and waiting for the gears to run out before I bottled it! :shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cjcp wrote:

I thought I'd found you - bloke going pretty fast on a MTB. I made the pass but couldn't lose him, not straight away anyway. I reckoned it wasn't you as I passed but couldn't really tell - the fact you didn't re-overtake 30 yards on convinced me it wasn't you after all :)
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    cjcp wrote:
    Do any of our resident MTB commuters run out of gears on the flat? On today's commutes, I was left clicking in thin air, so to speak, glancing down at my sprockets thinking, "What? You mean that's it?".
    I ride a folder, not an MTB, but it's fitted with a Rohloff 14-speed hub which was designed for mountain bikes. With 48/16 cogs, that gives me 16-84 gear-inches (1.27-6.69m development). I spin out at about 40kph in my highest gear, but I'm not strong enough to hold that on the flat anyway (call me spaghetti-legs), so it works for me.
  • Don't think I scalped anyone this morning...although it was mighty foggy! :shock:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes