Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    All quiet tonight until I spotted a SS at VB lights. He pulled off in a hurry, but caught him before the start of Death Star Canyon. He seemed to put a bit of a spurt on as I went past, but this was only so he could latch onto my wheel. I towed him all the way to mid-point between C Bridge and AB - the shame - when traffic halted my progress and he hopped onto the cycle path along the pavement.

He got a fair distance ahead, but, after slogging my guts out, I caught up to within 20 yards just as we went past Wandsworth Bridge Road, when another roadie scampered after him and shamelessly drafted him (no rear light - poor form), ultimately, all the way to Putney Bridge.

I held back about 10 yards and, for a moment, thought about passing them, but was foiled by a ped on a zebra crossing. Caught up with them again, but they both ran the red light off the NKR on the approach to Putney Bridge and that was that. They went straight ahead into Putney, and it all went quiet after that.

Took a detour up Nightingale Lane on my way home. "Slow going" would be understating the painstaking progress I made up it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    All quiet tonight until I spotted a SS at VB lights. He pulled off in a hurry, but caught him before the start of Death Star Canyon. He seemed to put a bit of a spurt on as I went past, but this was only so he could latch onto my wheel. I towed him all the way to mid-point between C Bridge and AB - the shame - when traffic halted my progress and he hopped onto the cycle path along the pavement.

He got a fair distance ahead, but, after slogging my guts out, I caught up to within 20 yards just as we went past Wandsworth Bridge Road, when another roadie scampered after him and shamelessly drafted him (no rear light - poor form), ultimately, all the way to Putney Bridge.

I held back about 10 yards and, for a moment, thought about passing them, but was foiled by a ped on a zebra crossing. Caught up with them again, but they both ran the red light off the NKR on the approach to Putney Bridge and that was that. They went straight ahead into Putney, and it all went quiet after that.

Took a detour up Nightingale Lane on my way home. "Slow going" would be understating the painstaking progress I made up it.

Are you still on the MTB?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Are you still on the MTB?

Yup. Picking my new rear wheel and re-trued front wheel for my commuter tomorrow evening. Appaently, the chap who built it for me said he'd never seen so much wear in suc a short space of time on the rims through braking. While there's a ridiculous number of stopping points on the commute, it seems I need to clean the rims and brake pads more often. :roll:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...a rare sight this morning, another cyclist...he jumped off the pavement in front of me and went for it. He was on a reasonable MTB, may have been a Trek, but I didn't really see it too clearly as the red mist had descended...this was approaching what I now call SCR hill ,as that is where it all started...I blasted past, I was mean and I was angry...left him standing...

...he was just a kid... :(

...I am a grown man... :?

...do I feel ashamed... :oops:

...nah, he had it coming :twisted:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • cjcp
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...a rare sight this morning, another cyclist...he jumped off the pavement in front of me and went for it. He was on a reasonable MTB, may have been a Trek, but I didn't really see it too clearly as the red mist had descended...this was approaching what I now call SCR hill ,as that is where it all started...I blasted past, I was mean and I was angry...left him standing...

:lol: Brilliant.

"Listen here, laddie: I invented this game. If you want to get them out, I'll make it snow."
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Got up late this morning, so hammered it in. Again. There's a pattern emerging with this mtb riding. There's got to be a recovery ride at some point during the week.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ChrisLS wrote:

Oh dear. A child.

It will be women next.

Bring them on. And the fathers. They're all fair game in The Game :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Driven and trained in so far this week, so thought I'd ride today and tomorrow.

1/2 mile from home and I get a slow puncture :roll: . @rse.

Fix it and back on my way. Find I can roll along in normal gear +1; still need to use normal +2 to pull away.

Come to VB lights and there are a couple of roadies, one with no bag but some fetching T-Mob bib tights. Hmmm.

We roll off and #1 is sliced open before we get to the Morpeth. T-Mob, to my pleasant surprise, lasts no longer than the Tate. This is more like it, even though I realise I'm making more of a meal of this than I should be.

They both take me in the queue to LB roundabout, but I snag #1 again on the roll to the HoP. I get a chance to look at T-Mob. He's on a Litespeed with an 11-21 block, and using 53x19. Hmmm. 11-21 blocks aren't the usual choice of punters. Perhaps this guy races.

I hold station ronud Pt Square, then back onto the Embankment and I'm tucked in. He's definitely once bitten twice shy. I curse the fact that warp drive is off line. I'm going to need guile, cunning, and divert-power-from-life-support-for-maximum-impulse.

Northumberland Ave lights go green as we approach, and I think "it's time". Give it a small dig, ease past (even my wildest hyperbole won't get it up to a blast) and keep the power on. Now I'm beginning to feel the ache of quads that haven't been used in anger in, oooh, 5, 6 weeks? Head down, stare at the road, breathe, spin, hang on. I'm waiting for the counter-attack, which I'll be defenceless for, but it never comes. I pull off and it's a while before I see T-Mob come past. I think I did it.

The journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • ChrisLS
    ...welcome back Greg66, nice one...
  • ChrisLS wrote:

He had it coming... he only had himself to blame... if you'd have been there, if you'd have seen it, I bet you you would have done the same...

Sorry. :oops:

But we all would. Jumping off the pavement in front of you was a clear challenge. He laid down the gauntlet and you taught him a valuable lesson.
    Greg66 wrote:
    The journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.

Hurrah! First scalp? Or is it a scalp? You need to grow a beard or something to get your FCN down a bit while you're recuperating.

Oh and I'll be playing silly walking racing. My walking FCN is given a good +5 by the crutches and cast, and I'll be carrying a backpack +1 and wearing casual clothes +1.

I'm going to have the triceps of a god, I tell you.
  • ChrisLS
    ...when I say kid, not a child...he was strapping great teenager...I have some self respect left...the Game hasn't left me completely hollow
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    on the fixed today carrying a lot of extra weight... last nights Christmas party.

no scalps at all although I would have taken a courier if she (yeah I know) hadn't rlj'd then turned off...b!tch :lol:

I did see a brompton out in the sticks and the rider looked competant binned him no problems.. he pulled up next to me at the lights with possible the best sitting track stand I've seen... stock still.... damn near perfect. I just said "Nice" and left him behind... good skills that man
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sounds like excuses to me...

Funny how riders get bigger if you can't catch them.

I met White Van Man, first noticed when his van's wing appeared next to ny right leg and he banged on his horn. Narrow road, oncoming traffic, hawthorn hedge overhanging on the left .... what's a girl to do? So I moved out a few inches to show I'd ignored him and of course he roared past at the first opportunity THEN STOPPED ON THE ROAD IN FRONT OF ME. I mean, was he trying to make a point by slowing himself down for even longer than the 2 seconds I'd held him up? So there we stayed, makinf eyecontact via his wing mirror, till I made a face at him and he zoomed off. I was SO tempted to get closer and smack the back of his van, but I thought if he's that stupdi he might just reverse to see what it felt like to hit a cyclist. But next time I see him - LD45ANZ, or whatever, your number will be up.

I looked out for him all the way to work but never found him, of course. Dammit.[/quote]
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    No bike today - Child/dog/wife issues have forced the car upon me - result may be that the car gets cleaned (finally!) as it smells like wet dog/sick and cough mixture.

On the plus side - Fixie wheels arrived yesterday and ordered rest of parts...on the minus side - now skint.
  • Took a bunch of roadies Tooting Broadway thru Stockwell. Didn't feel like scalps.

Rolled up to VB lights before the approach to the bridge. Already sat there was something of interest...

Chap on an all black Leader time trial bike with 3 spoke carbon wheels sans baggage.

Tasty.

Rolled up behind him. Lights go green. Gave him some respectable space (4/5 bike lengths). Thru the lights at the bottom of the bridge opposite Spook HQ and I think this boy is going to absolutely leave me for dust. Doesn't happen. He's not giving it anything. I take him 30 yds up the the climb with little effort.

Poor show and for me no scalp.
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • itboffin
    I got my first real draft behind a white van, pure accident, I usually stay well away from all vehicles but in this case had no choice, when the on coming traffic cleared we both set off and to my surprise I was the same distance behind as when we started and push mid 20mph with no effort, shame he turned left before the next hill. Still it was a new cycling experience for me, I still think I'll continue to hang back.

No scalps again today and yet more mud, I'm getting tired of all the cleaning I have to do after every ride. My new Campagnolo brakes a wearing down fast and strange noises, wobbles are appearing.all over, winter is so grim :cry:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    They both take me in the queue to LB roundabout, but I snag #1 again on the roll to the HoP. I get a chance to look at T-Mob. He's on a Litespeed with an 11-21 block, and using 53x19. Hmmm. 11-21 blocks aren't the usual choice of punters. Perhaps this guy races.

:shock: I am so not observant enough i only just about recognise what bike people are onlet alone what block they are running, good work, I feel mightly not bikey enough......and of course I know what blcok i'm running on MY commuter :oops:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • cjcp
    gert_lush wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

:shock: I am so not observant enough i only just about recognise what bike people are onlet alone what block they are running, good work, I feel mightly not bikey enough......and of course I know what blcok i'm running on MY commuter :oops:

GL - don't worry. At the speeds G66 is travelling at at the moment, he could re-paint the lines on the road.

Thank you. I'm here every Thursday.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    He's on a Litespeed with an 11-21 block, and using 53x19.

Is 53x11 the cycling equivalent of a cod piece?
  • cjcp
    jedster wrote:
    He's on a Litespeed with an 11-21 block, and using 53x19.

Is 53x11 the cycling equivalent of a cod piece?

Nope. That would be the Litespeed.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    GL - don't worry. At the speeds G66 is travelling at at the moment, he could re-paint the lines on the road.

Oi! I may be decrepit, but I'm not deaf, y'know! :x

I'll look forward to the show this time next week. :P

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Laying in the road no doubt

Edit: I remember the days when this thread was alive with silly jokes and carefree comments, ah the good ol' days :cry:

PS. page 2 that's very sad............
  • Konan
    Konan Posts: 43
    I've got a pass on an Electric Tricycle (peddling up hill as the stupid thing wasn't going anywhere near fast enough), where does that stand me?
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Konan wrote:
    I've got a pass on an Electric Tricycle (peddling up hill as the stupid thing wasn't going anywhere near fast enough), where does that stand me?

How can you ride uphill in Norfolk? :wink:

What the hell does an electric tricycle look like? This must be a first.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Very quiet on tonight's commute. No fun.

Picked up my road bike wheels tonight. The mate who built them has acquired a Parlee. G*it. He's not taken delivery yet, but am looking forward to seeing this in the flesh in the NY.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Konan
    Konan Posts: 43
    To address both points...
    cjcp wrote:
    How can you ride uphill in Norfolk? :wink:

When you're riding something that it takes two or three people to pick up any incline feels somewhat alpine.

Anyway, Norfolk has far worse hills than the rest of the country. They go up at 2% for 72 miles at a time.
    cjcp wrote:
    What the hell does an electric tricycle look like? This must be a first.

transmission.jpg
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    3 this morning - Audax and 2 x MTB's. Nothing else out - I feel like a king!! Sadly, I think I am gonna get handed my ass a few times in summer.....
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Well I will now not be silly or commuting or racing for a whole two weeks because I am finishing work today for Christmas....
    well, not commuting anyway.
    Hurrah :D
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • cjcp wrote:
    The mate who built them has acquired a Parlee. G*it. He's not taken delivery yet, but am looking forward to seeing this in the flesh in the NY.

Ooooh. Nice. Z4? Or even more £££? I'd be interested to hear what you think (try to get him to let you take it for a spin. About 50 miles should). A Parlee or a Crumpton are about the only things I'd think about swapping mine for.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A