Silly commuting racing

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    gb155 wrote:
    m0scs wrote:
    LiT A request.

Can you please change your Avatar, it's scary! :shock:

I'll put myself back soon... In the meantime I'm quite enjoying my alter-ego...

Nahhh, Leave it as it is Dave
    Hello Dave
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a27zbNyf3x4
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DD, if it makes you feel any better I think you could save your scalp on a few technicalities.

Bassjunkieuk I appreciate your thoughts and at the time I did think this move a little alarming, however when you get wrapped up in the cut and thrust of it things get a little confused. As we all know it's how you feel that is important. I could complain about unfair and unsafe practices but I feel it would be sour grapes.

It isn't a move I would do just to get one over the other non racer!

Thanks, it's nice to know others care.............................
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    jimmypippa wrote:
    As a newbie here, I am confused, I think my FCN is 9*, but am not sure about my clothing "allowance".

I have come to cycle commuting from (fast) hillwalking, so dress more like a fellrunner than cyclist (trainers, tracksters) plus a high-vis cycling waterproof during the winter.

I have discovered a way of keeping my nether regions warm at the cost of looking like a complete twassock, and that is microfibre shorts *outside* the tracksters (the shorts are windproof).

*hybrid with flat handlebars, flat pedals, rucsac

Anyway it hardly matters, I see about 5 other cyclists, one who manages to light-up whilst cycling, and goes at about 5 mph, three going in the other direction and one who sometimes coincides with me....

Welcome Jimmypippa, and I envy you the amount of hills you have to play with up there in the Peak District, a lovely part of the world.

As for your FCN, have you put your details into the FCN calculator?
    Although truth be told, your FCN is only a guide, a scalp can really only be justified by your heart, I for instance, would not consider being overtaken by Lance Armstrong when he was riding a shopper with a basket on the front and a child seat on the back, to be a scalping although technically it would be, or in another instance, if I were to overtake a 5 year old boy, in full team lycra on a carbon racer with clip in shoes, it wouldn't be a scalping.

The FCN is just a guide, follow your heart for true SCR enlightenment
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    how about being overtaken by a girl, Attica? :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    That would be me being scalped Linsen, it would cause a decline in my powers similar to Sampson losing his hair and I would almost certainly enter a terminal depression.

It's this thought that helps me turn my lungs inside out every time I have an SCR encounter, deep down I'm terrified that it might happen one day.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to start that in the traditional manner:-
    My name is Attica and I'm an SCR-aholic...
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Guess who managed to fall down the stairs at Southfields station today? Yes, it was me! I am going to try riding over to the gf's soon but I think I've busted up my ankle a bit so the cycling experiment may not last more than a few seconds... Think it's just bruised and a pulled muscle/ligament or two (I even looked at the internet and reckon it's the extensor digitorum longum - the internet is such a gift to us hypochondriacs) but it sodding hurt.

So, maybe not much SCR fun for me in the immediate future (and I didn't ride over the weekend either) :(
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    i have a 'seniors card' and a bus pass and get my winter fuel allowance (Thank you Mr Brown, sir - touches forelock etc) - I would be very offended if any concessions were made in the FCN calculation for age - if I can't beat someone the I need to try harder - concessions for age and gender are the first step to the deaded PC - next thing we'll have someone to counsel us when we lose scalps :twisted:
  • Spitchips - BANNED
    Spitchips - BANNED Posts: 142
    edited December 2008
    Sounds like a great silly commuting racing game this thread I am hoping to try it out from 15th Decemberb onwards but am not sure how it works out. Can you help please.

IF I ride a hybrib with semi slicks, mudguards, panniers and lycra cycling clothes and clipless (SPD) pedals where does that put me in food chain? I have just done the FCN calculator and got 8. Is this a good score or bad score?

If I was to overtake a roadie with shaved legs who had no panniers, mudguards and wore lycra how many points would I get? would it be +1 and make my FCN 9? Also if i was to then do the same again would it be a 10? And would he get scalped everytime I overtook him?

Another point if I scalp (if that is the right term) someone esle who is in the same place in FCN do I still get a point?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Attica wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    As a newbie here, I am confused, I think my FCN is 9*, but am not sure about my clothing "allowance".

I have come to cycle commuting from (fast) hillwalking, so dress more like a fellrunner than cyclist (trainers, tracksters) plus a high-vis cycling waterproof during the winter.

I have discovered a way of keeping my nether regions warm at the cost of looking like a complete twassock, and that is microfibre shorts *outside* the tracksters (the shorts are windproof).

Anyway it hardly matters, I see about 5 other cyclists, one who manages to light-up whilst cycling, and goes at about 5 mph, three going in the other direction and one who sometimes coincides with me....

Welcome Jimmypippa, and I envy you the amount of hills you have to play with up there in the Peak District, a lovely part of the world.

Although truth be told, your FCN is only a guide, a scalp can really only be justified by your heart, I for instance, would not consider being overtaken by Lance Armstrong when he was riding a shopper with a basket on the front and a child seat on the back, to be a scalping although technically it would be, or in another instance, if I were to overtake a 5 year old boy, in full team lycra on a carbon racer with clip in shoes, it wouldn't be a scalping.

I do anyway, I forgot to mention the guy who looks Italian, and about 20, with a cycle cap, etc... fixed gear(?), no bloody rucsac or impedimentia (except a pump in his jersy back pocket) but I only have seen him in the summer (probably at university, natch, I was young once mutter mutter)

I don't feel too bad being passed by him, especially when it is bloody hot and I have my work clothes on my back too... (I am thinking about changing to panniers though, for better temperature control)

You are right about the hills though:

I think this should work to show one of my "extensions" to my commute when I have some spare time:

Stubbins Lane, chinley

There are plenty of others:

This one is quite amusing
    except that I can't get google maps to accept that you go along "Elanor lane" and then "Old Road" then "Lesser Lane" past the Beehive (serves Tim Taylor's Landlord) and up Cowlow lane.

Good summer additions to end a commute from Stockport
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Spitchips wrote:
    Sounds like a great silly commuting racing game this thread I am hoping to try it out from 15th Decemberb onwards but am not sure how it works out. Can you help please.

IF I ride a hybrib with semi slicks, mudguards, panniers and lycra cycling clothes and clipless (SPD) pedals where does that put me in food chain? I have just done the FCN calculator and got 8. Is this a good score or bad score?

If I was to overtake a roadie with shaved legs who had no panniers, mudguards and wore lycra how many points would I get? would it be +1 and make my FCN 9? Also if i was to then do the same again would it be a 10? And would he get scalped everytime I overtook him?

Your FCN is where you stand (or sit) in the cycling food chain. The only way to get closer to Sub Zero it is to get a better bike, better kit etc to reduce your FCN the lower the number the more predatory you are
    0=Lion/great white shark
    5-9=Grazing animals that live with the expectation of getting eaten
    12+=Ameba
    20+=Grass!

In theory, when you're on the road, anyone with the same FCN as you should be the same speed. andyong with a lower FCN i.e. lower in numeric value than your FCN should be faster than you....Anyone with a higher FCN should be slower than you

Your mission, should you wish to accept it, is to keep anyone with a higher FCN (9+) than yours behind you, and overtake anyone (higher up the chain) with a lower FCN than yours. Keep the score in your head and post tales of epic battles any time you want

But before you run down the path of SCR consider your future....so do you choose the Blue pill or the Red pill?
    :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Spitchips - BANNED
    Spitchips - BANNED Posts: 142
    edited December 2008
    snooks wrote:
    But before you run down the path of SCR consider your future....so do you choose the Blue pill or the Red pill?
    :)

Sod it, I will take both the pills!!!!!!!! :D

Looks like I am going to have too start cycling 1-2 miles in the opposit direction to town and then double back because I only live one mile away from town centre. :roll:

IF I start a lonmger commute, like 3miles then I should be able to scalp a few. :D

I have now done my FCN and have got a 10 for my commuting. So if I race a roadie and beat him (drop him) does that then knock my number down to 9?

I might start clamping my video camera to my bike and then uploading my 'epic battles', like the other thread of peoples rides. :D
  • snooks
    Spitchips wrote:

Looks like I am going to have too start cycling 1-2 miles in the opposit direction to town because I only live one mile away from town centre. IF I start a lonmger commute then I should be able to scalp a few.

Nowhere does it say you have to cycle the shortest way to work, if you're going to cycle you might as well make it count :wink:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • next thing we'll have someone to counsel us when we lose scalps :twisted:
    We do that already, it's called MTFU!
  • Spitchips wrote:
    I have now done my FCN and have got a 10 for my commuting. So if I race a roadie and beat him (drop him) does that then knock my number down to 9?
    Nope, your FCN and scalps go on different scorecards. That way, you can get another scalp if you pass the roadie tomorrow!
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

I do anyway, I forgot to mention the guy who looks Italian, and about 20, with a cycle cap, etc... fixed gear(?), no bloody rucsac or impedimentia (except a pump in his jersy back pocket) but I only have seen him in the summer (probably at university, natch, I was young once mutter mutter)

I don't feel too bad being passed by him, especially when it is bloody hot and I have my work clothes on my back too... (I am thinking about changing to panniers though, for better temperature control)

You are right about the hills though:

I think this should work to show one of my "extensions" to my commute when I have some spare time:

Stubbins Lane, chinley

There are plenty of others:

This one is quite amusing
    except that I can't get google maps to accept that you go along "Elanor lane" and then "Old Road" then "Lesser Lane" past the Beehive (serves Tim Taylor's Landlord) and up Cowlow lane.

Good summer additions to end a commute from Stockport

Thats near Me

maybe we will duel!
    Specialized Tricross SS FCN 4
    GT Zaskar FCN 10
  • biondino wrote:
    Guess who managed to fall down the stairs at Southfields station today? Yes, it was me! I am going to try riding over to the gf's soon but I think I've busted up my ankle a bit so the cycling experiment may not last more than a few seconds... Think it's just bruised and a pulled muscle/ligament or two (I even looked at the internet and reckon it's the extensor digitorum longum - the internet is such a gift to us hypochondriacs) but it sodding hurt.

So, maybe not much SCR fun for me in the immediate future (and I didn't ride over the weekend either) :(

Oh no! I'm trying not to giggle... not doing very well... :oops: (must not giggle at the misfortune of others)...

Ahhh internet-based self-diagnosis... What fun! If you've done a ligament it will be v painful for a relatively long time. According to my sports doc, internet self-diagnosis often leads to a worse verdict than the reality.

Unless, like me, you're a hyperchondriac... it's the opposite... the 'no I'm fine' 'but your wrist is black and swollen' 'I said I'm fine'.

How did the cycling go?
  • Hope everyone had a good weekend! Twas good to get back out on the bike today especially as I give it a bit of a wipe down and clean my rather disgusting chain on Sunday!

My only action on the way in today was some chancer on a hybrid not less then 500 yards from the house! As I set off I saw a high-vis wearing rider go past the end of the road and then found myself behind them once I'd joined the high street. I remember thinking that they must be mad as they also had shorts on! Anyhow I set about chasing them down (below me in the FCN but still a good warmup!) and overtook them just before the lights at the end.

I performed a lovely trackstand for the small duration of the light change and set off round the corner. Little did I know that my overtake earlier had obviously annoyed this rider as he came round me as I was holding the lane to get round the bus and line myself up for the RH turn at the roundabout ahead. I was a little surprised TBH but erred on the side of caution as most drivers seem to have blinkers fitted round here so trying to retake the lead and speeding onto the mini-roundabout wasn't really an option.

He went straight over and I turned right and settled into a comfortable pace. Imagine my glee tho as I turn left and spotted the same high-vis shorts wearing rider ahead! It was even better when he pulled into the same road I was about to use! ITS PAYBACK TIME :twisted:

Four cars heading towards us meant I had to hang back a bit but allowed me to build up some nice speed before swinging out wide and ripping him to pieces! My scalp re-claimed :-)

Rest of the ride was un-eventful except for the blind private mini-cab driver in the VW Sharan that pulled out in front of me. I yelled at him (noticing his window was open a fraction I'm pretty certain he heard my colorful language!) and then gave him another mouthhful as I passed him at the lights. He waved as I went past, not sure if it was a sarcastic wave or a polite sorry!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I, erm, ahem, rode the <very loud cough> mtb in today.

And I <shuffles feet, coughs very loudly again> enjoyed it. :oops:

The rear wheel for my road bike is being re-built at the moment and there is no chance of me catching the train. (I caught the train on Friday and woke up on Saturday morning with a cold. Definitive proof: trains are bad for your health.)

So, I put my clipless pedals on this time (it was very spongy the last time I road it with my trainers in the cages). And what a difference. :D

First roadie taken in Richmond Park. He was riding a very nice Italian frame, with team kit on. Then took three or four more along the route, including one up Col du Putney Bridge - who I finally dropped on Embankment - even though he was standing on the pedals giving it marginally less welly than Contador on the final stage of the Paris-Nice last year. (Ok, I'm exaggerating; he was out of his saddle.)

I hope each of them looks deep into their soul and thinks about the fact that they were overtaken by an mtber. This week could be fun. :twisted:

Seriously though, I think I might stick with the mtb over the Christmas period. There is a bit more rubber on the road, and I can give myself more of a workout at lower speeds.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    On the road bike today, deathly quiet on the scalp front today until I got near surrey Quays/canada water then all of a sudden I was knee deep in scalps I ripped from unsuspecting victims, I took a roadie who looked like he was pretty lithe and I found this out later.. I took 2 fixed and 4 roadies in one short sharp blast that I didn’t try to attain speed on… I got a little caught up in traffic later and the first roadie did me as I’d taken my feet of the gas a bit as I was starting to overheat just a tad. I didn’t get the opportunity to take him again before we parted ways.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I am having a couple of days off the bike....

Over the weekend, in my eagerness to extract the last bits of lamb from the bone I was clumsy AND stupid enough to stick the carving knife into the web of skin between the thumb and first finger on my left hand......

Clumsy and stupid is not a great combination. Carving knives are very pointy and very sharp.

Steri strips are brilliant aren't they! I think I'll wait until the edges stop coming apart before getting back on the hoods.

It wasn't a cry for help by the way, I'm not experimenting with self harm to control the turmoil of my life - I just love the last bits of lamb and have no patience or manual dexterity.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T wrote:

Over the weekend, in my eagerness to extract the last bits of lamb from the bone I was clumsy AND stupid enough to stick the carving knife into the web of skin between the thumb and first finger on my left hand......

Clumsy and stupid is not a great combination. Carving knives are very pointy and very sharp.

Steri strips are brilliant aren't they! I think I'll wait until the edges stop coming apart before getting back on the hoods.

It wasn't a cry for help by the way, I'm not experimenting with self harm to control the turmoil of my life - I just love the last bits of lamb and have no patience or manual dexterity.

Ouch. You know what's better than steri strips? Going to A&E in a quiet patch and having them glue it up. Days off the bike = 2 or 3 max.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Ouch. You know what's better than steri strips? Going to A&E in a quiet patch and having them glue it up. Days off the bike = 2 or 3 max.

I think I'm beyond the glueing stage at this point and I don't think I'm going to have to do a Fiennes and amputate my thumb bu cutting off my arm......

Also i have this mental image of A and E depts being like the waiting room to hell just as one of Satan's receptionists goes on lunch, the air con's not working, there aren't enough seats, the sinner on my left is listening "now that's what i call snare drum 11" on their ipod LOUD and the only magazine available is hairdressing monthly.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T wrote:

I think I'm beyond the glueing stage at this point and I don't think I'm going to have to do a Fiennes and amputate my thumb bu cutting off my arm......

You wish you were that nails... :wink: Although cutting off your arm would probably increase the days of fthe bike count. Probably. MTFU.

A&E is usually like an episode of 'chav wars' - they're playing their favourite choonz on their speakerphone innit. It's quite nice to know that they're slowly wiping each other out. Evolution'll get them in the end, or it will lead to some super-chav race who will rule the world.
  • snooks
    Everyone is dropping like flies

What's this? The Monday morning I'm-clumsy-and-now-I-can't-ride-my-bike club???

:wink:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cjcp wrote:

HE'S A WITCH!!! BURN HIM!!!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T wrote:

I think you're doing yourself a disservice.

On you, that's a pretty big target, running from fingernail to fingernail. Easy mistake to make. Not stupid or clumsy; largely unavoidable, I'd say.

Maybe next time you should grip the bone with your toes :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T wrote:

Nah, not for that.

Years ago I was in a hurry to get a nice new shiny boning knife out of its packaging. Three seconds later I'd sliced a perfectly straight line in the palm of my hand down to this yucky looking yellowy bobbly stuff.

I went to A&E, sat around for 3 hours, then saw a nurse, who (rather *too* patronizingly, IMO) told me she was surprised that I'd come into A&E for something like that, and I just needed some steri-strips.

Cow. :x

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • A&E is usually like an episode of 'chav wars' - they're playing their favourite choonz on their speakerphone innit. It's quite nice to know that they're slowly wiping each other out. Evolution'll get them in the end, or it will lead to some super-chav race who will rule the world.

Most of them seem to have some malady that is invisible to both the naked and the trained eye. I assume they need to go in from time to time to keep their doctor's note topped up for the purpose of maintaining an enhanced level of "soch" entitlement. Innit.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

HE'S A WITCH!!! BURN HIM!!!
    Hold on, due process and everything:
    witch.jpg
    Now who's got a duck to weigh him against? :P
  • Haha!

About 5 years ago I put a plate with a very sharp quite heavy knife on a high shelf. As I did so the knife fell off, blade first. Some weird reaction thing overrode my logic centres, and I caught it as it fell, with a flourish.

I was obviously very pleased at my F1 driver-esque reactions, until I felt something warm running down my wrist. Turns out I'd caught the handle with the first three fingers, and the blade with the fourth. 'Huh' I thought to myself, 'That was stupid'.

I opened my hand, and the knife was wedged in my finger, so I pulled it out. Then, obviously, I pulled the cut open to have a look - same yellow bobbly stuff. And a white thing at the bottom. At the time, my principal source of income was music, so I needed that finger on a daily basis, and went to A&E.

Saw a very sympathetic doctor after about 20 minutes, who congratulated me on my coming to A&E, as I'd managed to 'half cut off my finger' and glued me up a treat. No scar, only 2 days unable to play.

Hence my recommendation!