Comments

• linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    you couldn't keep away for long....
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Jen J wrote:
    (But the original glazed were the only nice ones)

According to the girls in our office the glazed ones have the least calories...ergo they're good for you! :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks
    Littigator wrote:
    sucks air in deep and breathes out mightily

ahhhhhhhhhh, donuts, rings, pushing back...great to see nothing changes around here!

GT I missed your catcall this morning as you rode past but given your legs were ablur whilst you preambulated at near walking speed past me you sounded like someone trying to have a chat whilst sat on a washing machine in full spin cycle...whilst brushing their teeth with an electric toothbrush plugged into the mains...

Anyway, I digress. I have been a racing and a scalping, a scalping and a stunning passers by with my recent herculean turns of speed. And I'm seeing more and more SS/fixie competi-bros about these days which is alllllll good...for me anyway as I lance past them

Who are you??? :D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    snooks wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

ahhhhhhhhhh, donuts, rings, pushing back...great to see nothing changes around here!

GT I missed your catcall this morning as you rode past but given your legs were ablur whilst you preambulated at near walking speed past me you sounded like someone trying to have a chat whilst sat on a washing machine in full spin cycle...whilst brushing their teeth with an electric toothbrush plugged into the mains...

Anyway, I digress. I have been a racing and a scalping, a scalping and a stunning passers by with my recent herculean turns of speed. And I'm seeing more and more SS/fixie competi-bros about these days which is alllllll good...for me anyway as I lance past them

Who are you??? :D

I'm sure you'll remember when I pass you this evening with a a cheery TA TA and you feel the breeze of your freshly scalped pate!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • snooks
    Littigator wrote:

I'm sure you'll remember when I pass you this evening with a a cheery TA TA and you feel the breeze of your freshly scalped pate!

Tonight is beer night....as is tomorrow come to think of it...so no commuting antics for me.

Hail to the Ale! 8)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Nearly got knocked off tonight by some twonk in a Toyota pickup - reversed straight out of his drive without looking - fortunately I was able to stop in time - called him a tosser - his defence was 'I don't have eyes in the back of my head' - I pointed out that that was what his neck was for :evil:
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    *Warning - Numpty post*

So this isn't actually about SCR (but what is on this thread? ;)) but there isn't a 'numpty with a mile long commute' thread (and I don't intend to start one) so I'll post on here.

I had a brilliant (mile long) journey home. I think it's the first time where I've forgotten to be scared, both of being on the bike and of the traffic. I took the direct way home, which involves a right turn (with lights) at a big junction and waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear, then riding through the middle of town in rush hour, with all the buses and lights and idiots and changing lanes etc - normally I avoid it in the evening rush hour. And hadn't ever dared attempt it in the dark when any traffic was about.

But today it was fine, and I only had my elbow nearly scraped by some idiot once, and actually really enjoyed the ride.

Ok, you can get back to your silly racing chat now...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    linsen wrote:
    you couldn't keep away for long....

Who?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    Litts. Wasn't he going cold turkey on SCR?
  • linsen wrote:
    Litts. Wasn't he going cold turkey on SCR?

Litts.... Litts....

Nope. Definitely doesn't ring a bell.

Give me a clue.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Here follows a small rant....

Completely unrelated to SCR but... I passed a roadie coming the other way today 'him on the downhill' and he completely blanked me not even a nod, that's never happened to me whilst riding a road bike (SS) I was so pissed off I almost turned around and added his pathetic little mop of hair to my collection, Ignorant toss bag, perhaps he was too ashamed to acknowledge a single speed passing him travelling up hill @ +20MPH

That is not the country way.... beware whoever you are should we cross paths again you will be in need this link LOSERS CLICK HERE
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    I imagine ITB you were going so fast he didn't notice you - just a blur on his horizon :wink:
  • itboffin
    maybe it was the hi-viz jacket :roll:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Littigator wrote:

FROM THE BLOOD OF MEDUSA, PEGASUS SPRANG!! :D

(It was something like that, wasn't it? Perseus (aka Harry Hamlin) saves Andromeda (aka babe) from the Titan etc.)

You ain't got wings though, Litts, 'ave you? You've got a 48 tooth. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Krispy Kreme? Iin England?

Krispy Kreme expanded north into Ontario a few years back, and my mum's local mall saw a factory outlet built to sell them to the masses. Two years later it had closed as everyone realised that they were disgusting. Then this summer there were contractors tearing the place to pieces.

Give me a Tim Hortons carrot, orange and wholewheat muffin any day of the week. Actually, make that every day of the week!

It was someone's birthday in the office and they were in office kitchen. Just sitting there. I would ordinarily have preferred a muffin, but I had to leave early so didn't get out for lunch etc.

Won't go near them again for a while though. Jesus! With that amount of sugar in me, I was doing a good impression of Thrust 2 pretty much all the way home.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Meh. I am gutted as I was in the car today (shopping day and I'm not yet hardcore enough to load my bike up with the weekly groceries... one day...)

Anyway, have spent the day getting increasingly grumpy about comments of "ooh is it a bit too cold for you to cycle, is that why you're driving?" Bah. I am not, repeat NOT chickening out cos of a bit of cold weather and snow, and had PLANNED to be in the car today. If I'd PLANNED to be on the bike, that's what I'd have been on. AND I'd have been wearing my hi-viz and random assortment of keepy-warm clothing, generally looking like a jumble sale on a bike and proud :D

And it would have been a damn sight quicker as I wouldn't have had to spend 5 minutes trying to just get the car door open, and a further 10 scraping my windscreen with a completely inadequate random card from my wallet.
    FCN 10
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    WAAAAY too defensive.

Chicken :wink:

-3 when I set off this morning!!! for the train :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • -3 when I set off this morning!!! for the train

:D
    FCN 10
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I have ebola.

It can be the only answer to the question of why I found the ride in this morning so nut crunchingly painful and slow.

The big red go button was unresponsive and my mojo just wasn't taking calls.

I mustered a half arsed show for a big boned gentlemen, on a MTB, with little wing mirror bar ends and a hi-vis Sam Browne, you know what - I was not going to bother (so deep has the flesh eating virus struck) until I saw he was wearing a little cap under his helmet - with - - - - world champ stripes on it...

Noooooooooooo

So even whilst in terminal stage Plague I roused myself to do him - but the effort has done for me, no flowers, make a donation to Playboy.

I'm fading fast.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Saw the aftermath of another accident this morning. Some poor dude on a spinal board getting loaded into an ambulance. I think they'd come off a scooter but it was hard to be sure. Holborn at the Chancery Lane tube station. BE CAREFUL people
    <a>road</a>
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Greg T, have you been riding without protection and spreading man-flu through the Embankment Peleton? I've been struck down by something similar. My pain generators have suddenly perked up and are making themselves known at normal riding speeds. Trying to scalp a very tall fixie wearing blue lycra and a rain cape this morning was incredibly hard work and while I got past him I lacked the firepower (and the will) to drop him in the amount of road I had left. Traffic put an end to our battle and to be honest, I was glad of the respite that Lambeth Bridge Road gave.

This doesn't bode well for the SS that's on its way
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Blue lycra fixie: was it full Assos and a very nice white Dolan?
    Had to do him a couple of times towards blackfriars coz of the lights changing just at the wrong times.

The pain generators were definitely up a notch today. I'm hoping that means a tailwind* on the return journey

*one can hope to see this mythical beast called tailwind
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg T
    JonGinge wrote:
    *one can hope to see this mythical beast called tailwind

Speaking of mythical beasts...

I shadowed fast tall blue fixie baseball cap guy from Parliament Sq out through the Vauxhall mega junction. I was planning ( as this was pre ebola and fatal verve loss) an epic battle but he made an uncharacteristically rakish lane change and I got caught up in traffic, dammit.

I'd console myself with the "you live to fight another day" adage however, a quick survey of my quads reveal a terminal lack of "go" and how my head can remain above my knees when I have no spine is beyond me. Tonight will be a desperate dirge.

• You have no idea how pleased I am to hear these reports of no mojo/pain receptors online from this morning.

Because otherwise I'd've thought it was just me.

I felt like someone had injected a gallon of lactic acid plus some super-ache lotion into my quads overnight. Very unpleasant this morning. So much so that I dropped a gear (two for the climb behind Temple tube), kept the cadence low and came in doing a passable imitation of active recovery.

Trouble is, "recovery" means I'm supposed to get better.

Feck.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Saw the aftermath of another accident this morning. Some poor dude on a spinal board getting loaded into an ambulance. I think they'd come off a scooter but it was hard to be sure. Holborn at the Chancery Lane tube station. BE CAREFUL people

Yuck.

In related news, I'm now sporting my shiny Road ID (see the "what have you bought thread").

So bring on the paramedics!

[only kidding]

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    tra la laaa laaa laaaaaaaaa

Oh! What Ho chaps! I see you appear to be snivelling in a corner comparing man flu manecdotes about your pustules or something of the like.

I had a positively breezy ride in this morning. In fact as I passed three riders who appeared to be battling with each other prior to Blackfriars Doom Underpass...at a laughable speed of 16MPH ( I kid you not) I mentioned to Mrs L it was a shame I hadn't brought the morning paper along for the ride. I could have read the sports results to them on our way past.

On another note, the bracing weather has stuck with us and sees me wearing an increasing level of layers. No doubt our Northern counterparts will respond with a brisk put down that they are still riding to work in their bathing trunks or some-such-the-like.

Anyway, work beckons...as you were!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Greg T
    Littigator wrote:
    On another note, the bracing weather has stuck with us and sees me wearing an increasing level of layers.

I was going so slow and feeling so God awful this morning that I swapped the gillet for my waterproof jacket......

I passed a guy last night (pre ebola when i could still stand unaided) who was in T shirt and baggy shorts.....

It was Baltic.

Brrrrrrrrrr......

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Greg T wrote:
    I have ebola.

It can be the only answer to the question of why I found the ride in this morning so nut crunchingly painful and slow.

So even whilst in terminal stage Plague I roused myself to do him - but the effort has done for me, no flowers, make a donation to Playboy.

I'm fading fast.

All is not lost, heaven can wait, Dustin Hoffman is on his way with a cure.

And the cure is Porridge! But no ordinary porridge, you need a wee tot of whiskey in there as a an extra winter warmer. You will float past the enemy scalping at will.

Well it worked for me when I had suffered overnight complete muscle atrophy.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Greg T wrote:
    I have ebola.

The big red go button was unresponsive and my mojo just wasn't taking calls.

I mustered a half arsed show for a big boned gentlemen, on a MTB, with little wing mirror bar ends and a hi-vis Sam Browne, you know what - I was not going to bother (so deep has the flesh eating virus struck) until I saw he was wearing a little cap under his helmet - with - - - - world champ stripes on it...

Noooooooooooo

I'm fading fast.

Not just you - no man-flu here but the reverse Millbank Wind Tunnel was something I hadn't experienced until today, bloody hard work not helped by the fact I went for a late-from-work PB attempt last night, missed it by 30 seconds and could barely move this morning. Still, not overtaken by anyone again today, and will hit 2000 miles for the year this week if I'm lucky....