Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Littigator wrote:
    In fact as I passed three riders who appeared to be battling with each other prior to Blackfriars Doom Underpass...at a laughable speed of 16MPH ( I kid you not)

So you "rode" in at, what, 16.1 mph?

Hardly ripping up the tarmac ... :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Littigator wrote:
    No doubt our Northern counterparts will respond with a brisk put down that they are still riding to work in their bathing trunks or some-such-the-like.

Northerners cheat, they may ride in wearing only their shorts and a string vest but we all know that the head loses the most heat and their flat hat keeps that toasty warm.

p.s. don't forget they have their whippet to cuddle up to when they get in, I just have the girlfriend and her freezing feet.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Feltup wrote:
    Littigator wrote:
    No doubt our Northern counterparts will respond with a brisk put down that they are still riding to work in their bathing trunks or some-such-the-like.

Northerners cheat, they may ride in wearing only their shorts and a string vest but we all know that the head loses the most heat and their flat hat keeps that toasty warm.

p.s. don't forget they have their whippet to cuddle up to when they get in, I just have the girlfriend and her freezing feet.

Remember too that Northerners don't have heating or glass in their windows. Small wonder they don't complain about the cold outside. It's no different to inside.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Clearly there are TWO plagues working through the SCR community. I felt distinctly groggy this morning - even the harsh head wind and near sleet drissle couldn't shake it off. I could go on about my phlegm/snot problems but, on balance, to much information, eh?

Has anyone told the NHS to break out the bird-flue antivirals?

The other plague is the kind of mental breakdown that has led to the donning of full-winter gear in ... October. I was in the full roubaix bib longs with double fleecy knees this morning. How am I going to survive February?

snivel

J
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    mornin all

just a quick note to let you know that I will be duelling with a moped tomorrow lunchtime !!!!

One of the blokes who I work with has a wheeled hairdryer and he knows that I ride a FGSS, so there has been a great deal of general posturing which has turned into challenge from him to a race. I naturally agreed and we've got a short stretch of road identified and a crowd of assorted onlookers just to up the ante

I have a feeling I'm going to get nailed as it's a 200m standing start race but the pressure's all on him....

any tips ????
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • jedster
    are you any good with a spanner?

sugar in the tank?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Apart from Litts (who we just don't trust anymore since he's come grovelling back after his "of it's just so hard hanging onto the back of the banter peleton, I'm going to drop off the back and pretend I'm "sorting out my rear mech" " debacle. It appears that there's a widespread malaise......

Thanks be to ickly Baby Jaysus - I thought I was the only one, I'm so glad that you are all weak and suffering.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • jedster
    Litts is in big trouble, we all know what happens to smug git who feels fine when all about him dying from some virulent pestilence... it's only a matter of time
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Ahh GT, your snot-nosed snivelling is the clearest form of jealousy I've had the misfortune to happen across in some time. Is it fear that your legs have finally given up the ghost and your femurs have turned to cream cheese?

I fear your weakening state will lead you to type-tastic depths of depravity not seen on a keyboard in years, we shall wait AGOG!.

Also, if you do get any weaker, might I ask the general favour, my three year old nephew needs a pace setter for his trike riding at present, perhaps you could asisst?!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Greg T
    Ed - if it's only 200m I'd suggest a lightish gearing to get the drop on him from the off, if he gets ahead you'll struggle to get by him....

You can keep up a super high cadence for a 200m dash - you just need to get you revs up fast.

Also make sure the wind's at your back and that you are properly warmed up....

• edhornby wrote:
    One of the blokes who I work with has a wheeled hairdryer and he knows that I ride a FGSS, so there has been a great deal of general posturing which has turned into challenge from him to a race. I naturally agreed and we've got a short stretch of road identified and a crowd of assorted onlookers just to up the ante

I have a feeling I'm going to get nailed as it's a 200m standing start race but the pressure's all on him....

any tips ????

If it's limited to 30mph, you're in with a chance.

Off the line, bury yourself so that you can grab and stay on his wheel. Now you're in the kieren. Draft, head down, until 60m to go. Then: UNLEASH HELL. Pull out of the slipstream, bury yourself even deeper, and go for the line.

If he's limited to 40 or more, you're going to be in trouble.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Littigator wrote:
    Also, if you do get any weaker, might I ask the general favour, my three year old nephew needs a pace setter for his trike riding at present, perhaps you could asisst?!

Best you don't offer to help him with his spelling, eh Litts? :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • What's the ruling on overtaking someone then they catch you at the lights but they then RLJ? Is he disqualified?
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:
    If it's limited to 30mph, you're in with a chance.

Off the line, bury yourself so that you can grab and stay on his wheel. Now you're in the kieren. Draft, head down, until 60m to go. Then: UNLEASH HELL. Pull out of the slipstream, bury yourself even deeper, and go for the line.

If he's limited to 40 or more, you're going to be in trouble.

Hmmmm

Other Greg's tactics are probably better - grab him from the off and let him drag you up to speed, then make a late charge coming up to the line.

Litts.

I'll set the pace for your "nephew" - is he your sister's boy?

• Greg T wrote:
    Ed - if it's only 200m I'd suggest a lightish gearing to get the drop on him from the off, if he gets ahead you'll struggle to get by him....

You can keep up a super high cadence for a 200m dash - you just need to get you revs up fast..

Eeek! :shock:

No way. That means putting out effort for the full 200m. Cunning and guile is the way to a fair win. Effort over the first 50 and the last 60m. Draft and recover in the middle 90m.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:
    Eeek! :shock:

No way. That means putting out effort for the full 200m. Cunning and guile is the way to a fair win. Effort over the first 50 and the last 60m. Draft and recover in the middle 90m.

Yes - I've retracted my shock and awe approach as just stupid - much better to let his scooter do the hard work and get you up to speed before putting in a last ditch glory grab at the line.....

If my ebola is in remission by this evening (medicinal curry for lunch I think) I might try it out on the embankment.

• Littigator
    Greg66 wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Best you don't offer to help him with his spelling, eh Litts? :wink:

A mere slip of the fingers me old mucker...something I like to practise now and then dontcherknow!

• Greg T
    BoardinBob wrote:
    What's the ruling on overtaking someone then they catch you at the lights but they then RLJ? Is he disqualified?

Doing someone then have them RLJ away from you doesn't count against your numbers, however, if you then go on to do them again in the next stretch then you are in the money big time. It's the gift that just keeps on giving, don't be tempted to race filtering in traffic - it doesn't count and will end in tears.

• Littigator
    I had a beauty ride behind a 'ped the other day, he kept a civilised 28 from Vauxhall Bridge all the way to Chelsea B, I had another rider tucked in behind me and we compared notes whilst bimbling through Battersea Park on the warm down...very pleasant.

Ed, caution on taking advice from those liberally worded but slack brained chancers the Messrs Greg...they're a rotten bunch with very little tactical gumption to be honest :wink:

• Ahhhh, I'm so pleased it wasn't just me this morning!

I thought I'd overdone it big time on the boxing and my complete failure to stretch/give my poor body some consideration/take nurofen had done me in.

It took me 3 miles to get to an acceptable state of achiness and maintain over 20mph - pathetic. And my cold is pretty well gone, so that's no excuse. I nearly stopped to put my saddle back up from 'spin' to 'mash'.

I'm going to do some laps of Hyde Park at lunchtime - the cure for dead legs is clearly more cycling!

Oh and the scooter race - maybe some glue in the throttle?

Try to find a stretch of road with a very slight downhill - will give you more of a chance and he most likely won't even notice. And definitely let him tow you up to speed then blast past him once he's sure he's got you.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Littigator wrote:
    I had a beauty ride behind a 'ped the other day, he kept a civilised 28 from Vauxhall Bridge all the way to Chelsea B, I had another rider tucked in behind me and we compared notes whilst bimbling through Battersea Park on the warm down...very pleasant.

Ed, caution on taking advice from those liberally worded but slack brained chancers the Messrs Greg...they're a rotten bunch with very little tactical gumption to be honest :wink:
    I had a similar one in the t'other direction a few months back. The 'pedder kept looking behind and encouraging us at a constant 30. Had a pleasant chat at the vauxhall mega junction.

EDIT: then did him up millbank :twisted:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    From now on I am going to count hairy roadies as a scalp. I see maybe 1 person with a higher FCN a week and it's dull. My thinking is if you're both the same, then the guy who wins is better, right? So it should count as a scalp too.

I was rubbish this morning. No energy at all. Though I was going to do a 30-minuter for the first time since I got the Focus. Just under 29 in the end. Terrible.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    biondino wrote:
    From now on I am going to count hairy roadies as a scalp.

If you want to count them I am sure that will be fine. We'll just get someone to rewrite the listing. Don't worry about it :wink:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,351
    For the love of the Sweet Baby Jesus will you all stop whinging

I had a potentially fatal sniffle last week and left the bike at home!

Opened my heart to the forum and was fairly soundly kicked by all and sundry.

Now it is a bit windy at Millbank you all have Ebola!

Ha!

Do you hear me! Ha!

(PS MTFU does not mean being on the bike but whinging like a little girl)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Greg T

I had a potentially fatal sniffle last week and left the bike at home

WMC......

I respectfully suggest that you reconsider your position.

That position should be bent over your top tube having your cojones refilled with mojo Juice via a track pump by a dude (or burd sistas) who did stay on his bike despite man flu / ebola / bit of a headwind.

let us know how you get on, also if you are finding the keys on your keyboard too hard you can wear wooly gloves or something to stop it smarting so much.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,351
    Greg T wrote:

I had a potentially fatal sniffle last week and left the bike at home

WMC......

I respectfully suggest that you reconsider your position.

That position should be bent over your top tube having your cojones refilled with mojo Juice via a track pump by a dude (or burd sistas) who did stay on his bike despite man flu / ebola / bit of a headwind.

let us know how you get on, also if you are finding the keys on your keyboard too hard you can wear wooly gloves or something to stop it smarting so much.

Stayed on your bike but cried like a little girl!

Crying negates all MFTU points. If it's not in the already SCR constitution I propose an amendment

Oh yeah be sure to rehydrate before heading home, your tears may have drained your body of vital salts and fluids

crying.JPG
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • For the love of the Sweet Baby Jesus will you all stop whinging

I had a potentially fatal sniffle last week and left the bike at home!

Opened my heart to the forum and was fairly soundly kicked by all and sundry.

Now it is a bit windy at Millbank you all have Ebola!

Ha!

Do you hear me! Ha!

Ahh, but WMcCh, you've failed to spot the crucial differences.

You stayed off the bike. We manned up bigtime.

You were in the minority. We're in the majority.

Democracy. You've gotta love it. :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Crying negates all MFTU points. If it's not in the already SCR constitution I propose an amendment

Not many car drivers ask for amendment to SCR rules, if we make an exception for you we'll have train and tube jockeys on here asking for clarification on briefcase modifiers etc etc.

I'll take your advice on getting the fluids on board though - great tip. Here's one for you, if you put your man bag down on the seat next to you on the bus perhaps someone won't sit in that spot and you get more space.

• Wheezy, Greg, Greg, it's all very simple.

a) Stay on the bike. All MTFU points are automatically null and void if you take public transport or drive, unless it's to the hospital to have your frostbitten necrotic finger stumps surgically removed, and they're the ones you require for braking. If they're ring fingers or little fingers, this covenant is rendered null and void.

b) Man flu is a myth. You have a cold. Suck it up. However, colds do affect performance. This is not an excuse for being scalped.
  • A guaranteed cure for "man flu" is to get a fcuking grip :D