Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Greg66 wrote:
    You could have used your exceptionally effeminate half-pint.

Oi! You cheeky burd! I heard that!

I'm not deaf, y'know!

So, looks like it's the funnel and the hose for you at the Xmas Party :twisted:

Whilst you sip your babycham in the corner??

I seem to have struck a nerve...

:D
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'm out for a beer after work tonight, so the bike into work wasn't an option

Ah, the old "looks a bit parky out, let's book an @rse covering drink" trick. Nice work.

:wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm really dissapointed.

I put my lidl tights and long sleeve top on today (with race cape) and have been growing my chin and cheek whiskers (so the corner shop man keeps calling it) for a month in preperation for the fabled test of testicular fortitude, winter. - I have to say that "its to keep the chill of my face when I cycle" as an explanation to my Manager as to why I've stopped shaving for the last few weeks has got to be one of the coolest things I've said/done in a good long while! :D

Left my house at 7am! It wasn'tt that cold, the snow seemingly fell on all the cars and missed the pavement/road. Right now the sky is so clear, so bright and so sunny I could get a tan and I actually regret not bringing my sun glasses.

Winter and summer is a myth! In this country there is just Spring and Autumn.

Nothing worth scalping.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    It was the sunshine and good road conditions outside my house that lured me out this morning and into the black ice trap of the A4. Damn you A4!

I was gutted sitting in my car in the traffic jam I could have cruised past on my bike. Grrr I shall have my revenge tomorrow (if they grit the roads).
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Working in Local Authorities I feel I am a whizz at acronyms but please... after ages of searching, what is MTFU?
    FCN 4 dependant on beard

Boardman cx pro on slicks

"It CAN live in the house and we DO have room for another"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Working in Local Authorities I feel I am a whizz at acronyms but please... after ages of searching, what is MTFU?
    You mean you haven't read all previous 346 pages of this thread? <Walks off, shaking head>

Man The Fcuk Up
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    jedster wrote:
    I'm out for a beer after work tonight, so the bike into work wasn't an option

Ah, the old "looks a bit parky out, let's book an @rse covering drink" trick. Nice work.

:wink:

Naa I save that one for when it's raining!!!

The cold I can deal with, Fog I can deal with, Wind I can fight against but I won't give up

Ice and rain and I can walk faster then my progress on slicks on London roads!!!

Oh and there's only so many times in one ride when I can go from 50p to 5p with out sucking my saddle up! :shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Was it on this thread that someone mentioned some dude on a track bike with three-spoke wheels riding like an amateur? Would it be the dude I say this morning doing a wobbly u-turn on Knightsbridge? Dear oh dear.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Winter and summer is a myth! In this country there is just Spring and Autumn.

Or six months of rain and six months of bad weather.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    Was it on this thread that someone mentioned some dude on a track bike with three-spoke wheels riding like an amateur? Would it be the dude I say this morning doing a wobbly u-turn on Knightsbridge? Dear oh dear.

White guy looks miserable, all black bike, tri bars(I distinctly remember yellow on him but don't quote me on that).

I pulled up to a guy riding very slowly on a black track bike, three spoke wheels and tri bars in Streatham. I said "nice bike" he looked at me and my bike as though 'I had pi$$ed all over his kids on Xmas day' - Peter Kay - then he turned off. I mean jeez!!! sure I know its a 'Giant SCR', aluminum to boot and this may offend the bike ninja's, connoisseurs and fakengers but I didn't deserve a look that caused this cold front we're all suffering right now.

Hey what does fakengers actually mean? Is it an amalgamation of several words?

Edit = Oh Fake messengers - Boy I feel dumb
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Next person to see him say: "Nice bike maybe you'll learn to ride it one day" and leave him for dust
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Next person to see him say: "Nice bike maybe you'll learn to ride it one day" and leave him for dust

Hand him a piece of paper with the URL of this thread on it, and he can see how he sits in the estimation of those passing him.

Track bike guy, when you get here, drop me a PM - I'll give you £100 for your bike.
  • DonDaddyD
    One of the best rants I've read ever!
    http://militantcyclist.wordpress.com/20 ... fakengers/
    So I’ve noticed an increase in the trend of, for god knows what reason, civilians impersonating messengers. I hadn’t really noticed it before i was thinking of returning to my job as a messenger, or maybe i did but i buried it deep in my subconscious where it wouldn’t hurt so badly. There are a shit ton of these little monkeys around university right now and its driving me mad. Actually there is a female in one of my classes who i see every day that rides a fixie and carries a messenger bag…WITH WHAT IN IT? Makeup. Yes, it is her handbag, but 10 times bigger and less handbag and more messenger bag. She dresses the part, or what she thinks is the part and gives me strange looks because i bring my machine into the classroom instead of locking it up outside. Or maybe its the spandex. I don’t know. Anyway, one of these days im going to ask her who she works for and when she answers “Starbucks” or some other trendy corporate shit I’m going to just shake my head and walk away.

These idiots are all over the place on their bikes, on the sidewalk, off the sidewalk, in and out of traffic, no helmet, and its pissing me off. They are capable of doing trackstands for a longer time than they can actually ride the damn bike, mostly outside of some emo bar or boutique clothing store, or even worse, urban outfitters. Ive started confronting them about their habits and i feel like a dad but damn it, somebody has to do something, they are the problem with cycling. When i had space at BLD art studios there were a large group of artists who were also messengers and I never noticed this happening back then. This was from about 1999 to 2004? Its a trendy thing to do at university and it will wear off someday, and they will forget all about cycling and ill be 80 years old giving myself a stroke or aneurysm trying to get up a hill whilst still trying to impress some girls in a car. I tell them that i hope they get hit by a car, and ask if they will wear a helmet then…So perhaps its always been that way and i never noticed it but i dont know. Someone suggested that they are “supporting” bicycling culture. I cant agree with this at all, possibly supporting it monetarily but i dont think that buying certain items from companies that make products for messengers constitutes support in the form it is meant to convey. Supporting cycling would not be riding like you are blind, weaving in and out of traffic, running red lights and generally being a hazard to drivers who already have a problem dealing with cyclists.
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    LiT wrote:
    Hand him a piece of paper with the URL of this thread on it, and he can see how he sits in the estimation of those passing him.

Track bike guy, when you get here, drop me a PM - I'll give you £100 for your bike.

Dude you don't read your PMs (that's a hint btw)
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    biondino wrote:
    LiT wrote:

Dude you don't read your PMs (that's a hint btw)

Maybe she's read them but is just ignoring you 8)
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • biondino
    bikeradar's outbox function allows you to see when the message has been read ;)
  • I really am just cr@p.

Even if track bike guy does show up and offers to sell mehis bike for £100, I probably won't notice.

I need a secretary. :P
  • Jen J
    biondino wrote:
    bikeradar's outbox function allows you to see when the message has been read ;)

Really? I hate that - it's too stalker-friendly. I'm never going to send a PM on here again. :cry:

*EDIT* Brain not in gear today. If I send PM's I can stalk people, can't I? I just won't open any...
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • cjcp
    Tonight's commute promises to be interesting. I've just eaten my fourth doughnut of the day, a sugar-covered jam-filled effort. I had one about an hour ago too. These followed the two Krispy Kreme ones I've had today.

I'm expecting to rocket along Embankment until the sugar comedown kicks in at Chelsea Bridge.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    I've just eaten my fourth doughnut of the day, a sugar-covered jam-filled effort. I had one about an hour ago too. These followed the two Krispy Kreme ones I've had today.

The only doughnut is the Original Glazed "Ring".

Not only is is devoid of fruit based jams and non icing related sugar bits it is called a "ring" and therefore the only "pure" doughnut for thread devotees.

I nibble 48 bites out of the circumference of my ring doughnuts in homage to my mighty cranks.

I then take two bites out in sympathy with my over geared brethern. The remainder I eat in cold silence, without breathing in contemplation of getting scalped once by a guy on a hybrid on Tower Hill.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cjcp
    Greg T wrote:
    I nibble 48 bites out of the circumference of my ring doughnuts in homage to my mighty cranks.

I must pull you on the above, sir: "48" does not belong in the same sentence as "mighty cranks".
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    cjcp wrote:
    I must pull you on the above, sir: "48" does not belong in the same sentence as "mighty cranks".

Silence Dog.

The way of the warrior is one of inner stillness and preparation for a mad high cadence spin festival of foot blurring moulinexing.

Do not trifle me with your gear inch calculations.

• Krispy Kreme? Iin England?

Krispy Kreme expanded north into Ontario a few years back, and my mum's local mall saw a factory outlet built to sell them to the masses. Two years later it had closed as everyone realised that they were disgusting. Then this summer there were contractors tearing the place to pieces.

Give me a Tim Hortons carrot, orange and wholewheat muffin any day of the week. Actually, make that every day of the week!
  • Jen J
    Greg T wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I've just eaten my fourth doughnut of the day, a sugar-covered jam-filled effort. I had one about an hour ago too. These followed the two Krispy Kreme ones I've had today.

The only doughnut is the Original Glazed "Ring".

Not only is is devoid of fruit based jams and non icing related sugar bits it is called a "ring" and therefore the only "pure" doughnut for thread devotees.

I then take two bites out in sympathy with my over geared brethern. The remainder I eat in cold silence, without breathing in contemplation of getting scalped once by a guy on a hybrid on Tower Hill.

OCD?
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • cjcp
    Greg T wrote:
    Do not trifle me with your gear inch calculations.

Why? Beacuse you can't count as high as the numbers the likes of myself and G66 are pushing?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jen J
    Krispy Kreme? Iin England?

Krispy Kreme expanded north into Ontario a few years back, and my mum's local mall saw a factory outlet built to sell them to the masses. Two years later it had closed as everyone realised that they were disgusting. Then this summer there were contractors tearing the place to pieces.

Give me a Tim Hortons carrot, orange and wholewheat muffin any day of the week. Actually, make that every day of the week!

Krispy Kreme opened it's first concession in Harrods a few years back. I loved them then, as you could only get them in Harrods, and so they were really special, like.

Now they're everywhere, and I can even buy them from the Tesco petrol station at the end of my road 24 hours a day. Thus they are far too accessible and common, and I don't like them any more. (But the original glazed were the only nice ones)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Greg T
    cjcp wrote:
    blah blah blah ......myself and G66 are pushing?

You two are doing an awful lot of pushing back......

• Greg T wrote:

Isn't a doughnut about the size of your mighty [sic] front ring? :twisted:
    "Look, Dad, that man has gears like a grown up's, but smaller!"
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg T wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    blah blah blah ......myself and G66 are pushing?

You two are doing an awful lot of pushing back......

All this talk of "pushing back" and "glazed rings" is making me feel somewhat queasy.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    sucks air in deep and breathes out mightily

ahhhhhhhhhh, donuts, rings, pushing back...great to see nothing changes around here!

GT I missed your catcall this morning as you rode past but given your legs were ablur whilst you preambulated at near walking speed past me you sounded like someone trying to have a chat whilst sat on a washing machine in full spin cycle...whilst brushing their teeth with an electric toothbrush plugged into the mains...

Anyway, I digress. I have been a racing and a scalping, a scalping and a stunning passers by with my recent herculean turns of speed. And I'm seeing more and more SS/fixie competi-bros about these days which is alllllll good...for me anyway as I lance past them
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6