Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Attica wrote:
    I think most Campag Freewheels are more than a little clickety

This.. my chorus hubs are still shockingly loud 8)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    My Fulcrum 3s are pretty loud, but my Fulcrum 5s are almost silent. Feels really silken, I like it.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    cjcp wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I just checked, they haven't got any in any of the SW London stores or in fact anywhere that I can reasonably get to :(

There's an Evans in my building. Do you want me to check at lunchtime? Alternatively, it's the one on Cullum Street. Give them a call, see if they have one in. If they do, tell them to hold it back and I'll pop down and get it. We can sort money out later.

Thanks mate but I went to Spitalfields at lunchtime. All I've got to do now is lever them onto the bike :evil:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Greg T wrote:
    Gets out his jig saw........

Yes........

And takes off the ends of two of his own fingers, with his jigsaw, in his shed.

Sir Ranulp Fiennes does not need to MTFU.

I once had a haircut that may just have been done by Sir Ranulph and his jigsaw.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Greg T wrote:

Yes........

That's nothing. One day I pulled a splinter out of my hand. All by myself. Ahem... :shock:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Feltup wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Yes........

I once had a haircut that may just have been done by Sir Ranulph and his jigsaw.

It's a great story, but to be honest lowers Fiennes in my estimation. What a muppet.

'Nah, I won't wait for a surgeon to do it, I'll cut off my own fingers with my jigsaw. It looks clean and it cuts wood well so I'm sure it'll be fine. Oh and I'll tell the story for years and everyone will know I'm well'ard.'

:roll:
  • jezcc
    jezcc Posts: 111
    My Campag mirage freewheel is really useful for alerting pedestrians to my presence. But it does make it hard to talk to people when we're going downhill together. It is VERY loud.
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    It's a great story, but to be honest lowers Fiennes in my estimation. What a muppet.

Auto amputation is nails - FACT

It may not be medically wise but in the panthenon of nailness it scores very high.

Remember the guy who had to cut his own arm off as it was trapped in a rockfall (or something) a couple of years ago in the States? Well he had no choice and HAD to whip it off (granted it's a big old job - I struggle getting the knuckle off a lamb roast). SRF didn't have to saw his own fingers off - he was just bored one day and wanted a wee DIY project.

SRF = nails, own arm rockfall guy = nails (minor)
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Massimo wrote:
    What happens in the winter when the majority of commuters in Birmingham go into hibernation - I've not seen one at all so far this week so there's no-one to play with. Do I get bonus points just for showing up? (A bit like showing the 'working out' in O level maths)

Think of it like the TdF - just getting to the end, even if you're not the winner, is an accomplishment in itself. :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Did anyone see Top Gear with Sir Ranulph Fiennes talking about his experience?

Excellent, an excuse to tell my Ranulph Fiennes story (that's a pint I owe Greg)!

After Uni I worked a ski season in the Alps as a "Chalet Host/Cleaner" -i.e., general dogsbody. This allows me the, I'm sure you'll agree, impressive claim to fame that I cleaned Ran Fiennes's toilet.

Fiennes and his (now deceased) wife stayed with us for a couple of weeks with other invited guests. For the first week they were joined by several of his ex-SAS mates and their wives. During this week I learned:

1. Ran Fiennes is a genuinely nice bloke (at least he was with us). Mad as a badger of course but nice all the same. That said, spending 3 months walking to the Pole with him living on butter and vitamin tablets would not be my top choice of entertainment. His wife was lovely and utterly sane.

2. Ex-SAS officers are generally a decent bunch. Apart from the tall, upper-class, Aryan looking bloke with a really steely manner who gave you the distinct impresson that the thing he missed most about the Army was how he had precious little opportunity these days to dispose of people with his sniper's rifle

3. How big a shaped charge you would need to take out the big Courchevel cable car (small in case you were wondering)

4. RF can clearly cross-country ski until the world ends but he is a horrible Alpine skier. Who's have thought, eh?

5. That story about how he got kicked out of the SAS that sounds totally unbelievable is actually true. I heard it from his getaway driver. *

* Ranulph Twistleton Wickham Feinnes as he is properly named became the local squire at quite an early age when his father died. The film "Dr Doolittle" was being made in "his" village and in the course of it the production company diverted a stream and made a real mess which upset the locals. Feinnes enlisted one of his mates from the Regiment and nicked some plastic explosive from the stores. They headed down to the film set at night in his friend's Morris Minor and blew up the concrete blocks diverting the stream. The Morris Minor wouldn't start and they were arrested by the local bobby on his bike. Feinnes was kicked out of the Regiment. As I remember, his friend was let off.

As I say nice bloke but mad as a badger.

J
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Greg T wrote:
    SRF didn't have to saw his own fingers off - he was just bored one day and wanted a wee DIY project.

Wouldn't putting up some shelves have been more useful?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DDD a peg + playing card will give you that old skool clickety-click but be careful next thing you know you'll be wondering what it would be like to ride the simple lines of a fixed gear :wink:

So come on who just turned out the lights and the thermostat to "full winter"
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Jen J wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    SRF didn't have to saw his own fingers off - he was just bored one day and wanted a wee DIY project.

i suppose he just wanted to keep his hand in.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Greg T
    Jen J wrote:

It would have given him somewhere to have stored his now amputated fingers wouldn't it.

Perhaps he did that next? I bet holding the nails with his bleeding stumps and hammering away really brought a tear to his eye. If he cried of course, but he doesn't he just eats rocks and looks into the far distance with an amused care worn smile.

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717

It may not be medically wise but in the panthenon of nailness it scores very high.

Yes it's well up the nailness scale but it's even higher up the completely "off his tits" scale, don't you think?

Strikes me it's a bit like the squad is pinned down by machine gun fire from a bunker, the mortar shells are getting closer, it's a matter of time before they land one on top of us. In that situation you are as hard as nails if you charge the machine gun nest and save the squad.

On the other hand, if you do that rather than radioing the RAF to drop a nasty big bomb on the bunker then, while you are undoubtedly still hard, you are also completely off your head...

J
  • jedster wrote:

2. Ex-SAS officers are generally a decent bunch.

What colour is the boat house in HEERford? *steely gaze*
    <a>road</a>
  • jedster wrote:

Yes it's well up the nailness scale but it's even higher up the completely "off his tits" scale, don't you think?

Yes, and also high on the 'unnecessary actions/making it worse' scale!

One of those things where men will say 'flippin' heck, that guy is like proper NAILS he must get all the burds'.

All the women think this: 'What a prat. Why didn't he just wait and go to the hospital?'

Just so you know...
  • Greg T
    What colour is the boat house in HEERford? *steely gaze*

Is your nickname "Fiji Bob"?

"What's in the Bag?"

"Shut it"

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    jedster wrote:

Yes, and also high on the 'unnecessary actions/making it worse' scale!

One of those things where men will say 'flippin' heck, that guy is like proper NAILS he must get all the burds'.

All the women think this: 'What a prat. Why didn't he just wait and go to the hospital?'

Just so you know...

Women are so cruel - just cos he has no fingers you won't go out with him , even if he is a double hard bastard and hero of modern times... :roll:
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Women are so cruel - just cos he has no fingers you won't go out with him , even if he is a double hard bastard and hero of modern times... :roll:

There's a reason why you'll never find the following in a Mills & Boon:
    She quivered as he ran his stumps through her hair, the smell of necrotising flesh still pungent and hanging in the air...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

There's a reason why you'll never find the following in a Mills & Boon:
    She quivered as he ran his stumps through her hair, the smell of necrotising flesh still pungent and hanging in the air...

:lol::lol::lol:

Colleagues increasingly suspicious that I am not, in fact, working...
  • Greg T
    It is pitch black outside.......

Safe home gamers.

• It really bl**dy is, isn't it? I'm going to get myself a flashy front light on the way home.
  • Greg T wrote:
    It is pitch black outside.......

Safe home gamers.

Going home for lunch?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I don't see the fuss about RM and the fingers - they were totally dead and unfeeling - the main reason he seems to have cut them off was because they were making it difficult to use the hand - if you go to the NME at Rheged they've got Bronco Lane's toes preserved on the wall from the 1976 Everest expedition :twisted:
  • This won't be liked but here goes......

Numpties wearing yellow jackets (close enough quote)

I thought one of the tenents of the SCR was safety or is it just playing along to H&S so the forum doesn't get chucked off.

I work in construction and some ...really.... hairy ar$ed geezers much hairier than any roadie you are likely to meet has long got over the yellow jacket image. No jackey no job etc etc I won't bore you with the details.

Get over it people. I wear yellow and I go as fast as I can manage, racing all the way. If you think style is everything then you are as good as a fakenger in my book.

Rant over.

I just clocked 1,000,000 points today at Center Parcs. Just hire a trike and everyones a target.

I await the flaming...................................................................................

Regards DD
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    This won't be liked but here goes......

Numpties wearing yellow jackets (close enough quote)

I thought one of the tenents of the SCR was safety or is it just playing along to H&S so the forum doesn't get chucked off.

I work in construction and some ...really.... hairy ar$ed geezers much hairier than any roadie you are likely to meet has long got over the yellow jacket image. No jackey no job etc etc I won't bore you with the details.

Get over it people. I wear yellow and I go as fast as I can manage, racing all the way. If you think style is everything then you are as good as a fakenger in my book.

Rant over.

I just clocked 1,000,000 points today at Center Parcs. Just hire a trike and everyones a target.

I await the flaming...................................................................................

Regards DD

Quite. Nothing wrong with wearing yellow jackets. I wear one and no-one's caught up with me yet to say I look a numpty. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Re . Yellow Hi Viz Jackets

Yeah I know its amazing how many people you see wearing them. Its almost like they don't want to blend into the darkness.

Re. Fiennes Fingers

Seems like clear evidence of aristocratic inbreeding,
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Totally agree, the first rule of the SCR is safety although I wore my hi viz today for another reason, warmth! 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    So, any of you own a grey Condor fixie and enjoyed sparring with a bloke on a Focus with a yellow rain-covered rucksack at about 7pm tonight between Chelsea and Putney? You do know you didn't scalp me, right? It was fun though :)