Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    The one I'm referring to is very definitely SS.

Yep he's a regular,

He waits at Parliament Sq just after the car entrance to Westminster Palace for his girlfriend (also on a bike also rapid) he then blasts the length of the embankment (dropping his GF in the process) then waits for her again just after the Cheyne Walk garage going into Fulham.

He drafted me once - I made a one way, suicide, all or nothing , leave nothing in the tank and unload glory dash. In fairness to him he sat on me for all of - oh 300 m before getting bored and ramming me stupid.

I know this chap. Dropped him more than once down the Lower Richmond Road. :twisted:

(On gears, he would tear up the road. He has the look of a Cat 1 or 2 rider about him.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    The one I'm referring to is very definitely SS.

Yep he's a regular,

He waits at Parliament Sq just after the car entrance to Westminster Palace for his girlfriend (also on a bike also rapid) he then blasts the length of the embankment (dropping his GF in the process) then waits for her again just after the Cheyne Walk garage going into Fulham.

He drafted me once - I made a one way, suicide, all or nothing , leave nothing in the tank and unload glory dash. In fairness to him he sat on me for all of - oh 300 m before getting bored and ramming me stupid.

Hmm. The last time I came across him I managed to spool up the FTL drive faster than him through the Death Star Canyon. Then opposite Battersea Power Station he came blasting by (I was holding 46/47) drafting a car.

I've done him before through acceleration and then holding a gap, and I've chased him down once on the stretch to Albert Bridge. But I reckon that if you let him grab your wheel, it's game over.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    A theory: cycling is in part a substitute for sexual contact. Y/N?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Greg66 wrote:

(yeah you did count that right -4 kids)

Ha! That still puts you about 7 below one of the "regulars" here (although how he has the time to be a regular here is beyond me).

Speak of the devil.......he's only 1 behind me and the way I have enough time to get on here is due to erm....... working hard! That sounds better then dodging work :-)

As for this whole SS debate I think the FC is just right as it is. Re-writing the rules this late into the game just cos 1 or 2 guys upset you on the embankment does seem a bit, well, wrong. As has been said the FC was only conceived as a rough guide for those new to the game to give them an idea what they should aim for. Your internal scoreboard is all you really need!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Thinking laterally here

Is there perhaps a good argument for Proper rapid SS to have THE SAME FCN as a hairy roadie?

Just a thought thassall
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Bassjunkieuk
    biondino wrote:

Where on earth did that come from? Actually scratch that I'm not sure I want to know :-)
    I'd say no, but scalping a shaved roadie comes damn close :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    biondino wrote:

Where on earth did that come from? Actually scratch that I'm not sure I want to know :-)
    I'd say no, but scalping a shaved roadie comes damn close :-D

Inspired by comments about number of children...? :)
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • biondino
    Yeah, no-one could accuse BJ of finding a substitue for sexual contact!

No, the reason I ask is cos with my gf in another continent I am finding myself more drawn to being out on my bike, and I suspect there may be a link, physical or psychological, and I'd like to hear what others think.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    biondino wrote:

No, the reason I ask is cos with my gf in another continent I am finding myself more drawn to being out on my bike, and I suspect there may be a link, physical or psychological, and I'd like to hear what others think.

I think it's exercise in general. When I've been seeing people I'm much more likely to cut a run short or not go out at all. But the guys I've been seeing recently have been into bikes/running anyway, so it's been easier to fit exercise in.

Saying that, I'm mostly single now, and have sworn not to get properly involved with anyone until after next summer, as I will be too knackered from training to be up for anything! :D
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    biondino wrote:
    No, the reason I ask is cos with my gf in another continent I am finding myself more drawn to being out on my bike.

Mate don't go down this route - it will all end in tears.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567410/Man-who-had-sex-with-bike-in-court.html

It's not worth it.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • biondino wrote:

[Swiss Tony]

Well, Biondino, riding a bicycle is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You've got to check her over by eye before you start. Make sure she's properly pumped up, and don't forget some lube at the back end. Grasp her firmly at front, then swing your leg over her and mount her gently. Ease her into the rhythm of the ride, gradually increasing the tempo until you're fit to burst.

And when you're done, make sure you wipe her down, and leave her out of sight of passers by.

[/Swiss Tony]

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino
    Chapeau monsieur soixante-neu - er, six.
  • biondino wrote:
    Chapeau monsieur soixante-neu - er, six.

+1...

top_hat.jpg
  • biondino wrote:

I am not as creative or brilliant as the others here, but someone emailed me this a while ago...

Why bicycles are better than women:

1. Bicycles don't get pregnant.
    2. You can ride your bicycle any time of the month.
    3. Bicycles don't have parents.
    4. Bicycles don't whine unless something is really wrong.
    5. You can share your bicycles with your friends.
    6. Bicycles don't care how many other bicycles you've ridden.
    7. When riding, you and your bicycle can arrive at the same time.
    8. Bicycles don't care how many other bicycles you have now.
    9. Bicycles don't care if you look at other bicycles.
    10. Bicycles don't care if you buy bicycle magazines.
    11. You'll never hear, "Suprise, you're goning to own a new bicycle" unless you go out and buy one yourself.
    12. If your bicycle goes flat, you can fix it.
    13. If your bicycle is too loose, you can tighten it.
    14. If your bicycle gets misaligned, you don't have to discuss politics with it.
    16. You don't have to be jealous of the guy who works on your bicycle.
    17. If you say bad things to your bicycle, you don't have to apologize before you ride it again.
    18. You can ride your bicycle as long as you want and it wont get sore.
    19. You can stop riding your bicycle as soon as you want and it wont get frustrated.
    20. Your parents wont remain in touch with your old bicycle after you dump it.
    21. Bicycles don't get headaches.
    22. Bicycles don't insult you if you're a bad rider.
    23. Your bicyle never wants a night out with other bicycles.
    24. Bicycles don't care if you're late.
    25. You don't have to take a shower before you ride your bicycle.
    26. If your bicycle doesn't look good, you can paint it or get better parts.
    27. You can ride your bicycle the first time you meet it without having to take it to dinner, see a movie, or meet its mother.
    28. The only protection you need to wear when riding your bicycle is a decent helment.
    29. When in mixed company, you can talk about what a great ride you had the last time you were on your bicycle.
  • cjcp
    Attica wrote:
    Thinking laterally here

Is there perhaps a good argument for Proper rapid SS to have THE SAME FCN as a hairy roadie?

Just a thought thassall

But if they're proper rapid, the proof will be in the pudding i.e. the passing of the hairy roadie. The hairy roadie should be presumed to be faster, and leave it to the "proper rapid" SS to rebut that presumption. If it's rebutted, said hairy roadie knows that he has work to do this winter.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • steve-t
    steve-t Posts: 30
    Hey l-i-t what happened to 15 in your why bikes are better.......
    Speed demon by night.
    Awake by day.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    So for how long would a proper rapid SS have to hold 30ish MPH to be considered rapid?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    itboffin wrote:
    So for how long would a proper rapid SS have to hold 30ish MPH to be considered rapid?

Presumably longer then G66 :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I held 30 mph for long enough to see it on my 'puter but that was about it........

In my oxygen deprived hypoglycaemic state I can't promise I got there at all, it all started to go fuzzy somewhere north of 25 and really went Cyclodelic after 28.

It was chasing Mythical Embankment Fixed Gear Cycling God.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg T wrote:
    I held 30 mph for long enough to see it on my 'puter but that was about it........

In my oxygen deprived hypoglycaemic state I can't promise I got there at all, it all started to go fuzzy somewhere north of 25 and really went Cyclodelic after 28.

It was chasing Mythical Embankment Fixed Gear Cycling God.

Spinning legs a blur :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

Presumably longer then G66 :-)

Give that man a gold star :lol:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:

They would have to "hold" it, and it would be on the flat.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    cjcp wrote:
    But if they're proper rapid, the proof will be in the pudding i.e. the passing of the hairy roadie. The hairy roadie should be presumed to be faster, and leave it to the "proper rapid" SS to rebut that presumption. If it's rebutted, said hairy roadie knows that he has work to do this winter.

But if we can't decide one way or the other (and I can definitely see both sides of the argument, having been a hairy roadie and shaved my legs this year, I found absolutely no speed benefits! Oh and on weekdays I ride a singlie). Then perhaps the reason we can't decide is because they are even.

I think there's a whole other layer of debate about shaven-ness to come especially as I and very probably others will be getting more hirsute over the winter but shaving again come spring. Perhaps shaven is more of a state of mind than a state of leg.

As ever, the FCN is only a guide, true scalps are won in the heart not by statistics.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    Attica wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

But if we can't decide one way or the other (and I can definitely see both sides of the argument, having been a hairy roadie and shaved my legs this year, I found absolutely no speed benefits! Oh and on weekdays I ride a singlie). Then perhaps the reason we can't decide is because they are even.

I think there's a whole other layer of debate about shaven-ness to come especially as I and very probably others will be getting more hirsute over the winter but shaving again come spring. Perhaps shaven is more of a state of mind than a state of leg.

As ever, the FCN is only a guide, true scalps are won in the heart not by statistics.

:lol:

From my point of view, I don't consider SSers to be true scalps unless I've seen them in action before and know that they can the job if given a sniff of a chance and that, therefore, they have proved themselves to be the exception to the rule. I am therefore on the look out for equals or the shaven bunch or scooters that have strayed from their herd and which are there for the taking.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    Likewise, on their day a hairy roadie can and will put up a good fight against me on my SS.
    Below me in the food chain, but I can still consider them scalped. had the odd shaven roadie too, but scooters are the stuff of fantasy, mainly because they all do at least 30mph around here.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Not wanting to derail the discussion but I have two stories I wanted to share.

Very rarely is my journey divided into two parts. I usually get something interesting happening on the way to work or the way home. Today was different:

Part of the reason why I didn't go to Richmond Park group ride was because it was my first week back in the saddle after having a week off in Spain and my thighs felt like they hated me. If they had arms they would've punched me in the face. I couldn't kneel down and needed the weekend to (flat hunt and) heal.

Well all healed up and riding to work this Morning I hit Norwood Road (my road, which I held 28.2 today) and road up Denmark Hill on the way to Camberwell. I ROCKED THE BIG RING ALL THE WAY UP THAT HILL! :D Sure to some of you who have warp technology, access to quantum slipstreams or who can drop into hyper-space it sounds like nothing but I'm 15stone and I've been commuting to this job, on my road bike, for what? 3 months. Before that I used to ride a Giant M2 (fast accelerating Mountain with slick tyres but couldn't hold its speed or do distance). Once, I'll admit, long before I even found out about SCR I had to walk up the hill (I was tired it was the end of the week). It is the bane and challenge of my commute.

Today I road up that road without even changing gears. That's a big achievement for me! :D

This afternoon, Norwood Road (my road) I deliberately stayed behind a fast Hybrid, yes I could have scalped him, yes! But he was riding a solid 19mph for pretty much all my route and I needed to get home quickly, I didn't draft him I pretty much stayed at his 5'o'clock. By having him in front of me holding a steady pace he served as a pace maker for me and I was surprised that I had no trouble maintaining that speed. Even when I took the lead, up a 'London hill', I held a solid 14-15mph (good for me). Its like the SS I chased from London Bridge to Clapham he was by my standard f**king fast and it took all I had to keep up with him (and I simply couldn't overtake him) it makes me wonder how fast (on a good and refreshed day) am I really. I'm a lot faster when riding with people than on my own (which according to my degree lectures years gone by is psychologically proven). Which is a confident boost!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • The fixie issue............

Took a geezer who looked like TinTin on a very bright new shiney fixie this morning, took no pleasure as assumed he was a beginner (his legs just didn't look up to the business of churning that cog)

This evening had the lurking presence of a rider behind me thro Holloway. Lo and behold at the lights at Finsbury Park, a fixer. Must be game on the way he drafted me. nah, he turned off 20 yards later.

2 official scalps this am (not either chummy mentioned above) but really unexciting to warrant your attention.

My experience today would suggest that this fixer phenomenom is possibly an urban myth? However in the persuit of the truth........................

Question: Some while back (although 70 pages is usually only 3 days in this forum) did you (the royal you that is) instigate that FCN 2-4 all had equal rights and could thus claim scalp points for doing each other? I haven't read all the pages of the site cos that would just be impossible, so it is entirely possible that this idea was dropped like the child on a fairy bike in the park that got mentioned recently.

If so I humbly beg forgiveness.

If my memory is indeed correct does it then matter whether our erstwhile mr/s roadie of either flavour swaps places with the singleton. (I assume the fakenger variety is off the fodder list for roadies - too easy...................................).

I await suitable lambasting for any any technical breach of etiquette etc etc

Chingford C - This is disturbing (serious hill training, note to self do more, much more)
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • biondino
    Fastest ever commute today - 51'30"! Very pleasing. I think leaving work at almost 7.30pm made the difference - much less traffic.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Right, enough "active recovery". I barely broke 20mph on the way home and was bored rigid. Tomorrow I'm back on track.

Not that any of you lot care but I agree with Jedster. FCN is about your speed image, not your actual speed. If you dress like you're fast yet ride like a wuss you get whats coming to you. If you go down the stealth route you earn some easy scalps. SS/Fixies are portraying the image of speed. If your ego is writing cheques your body can't cash then you deserve to get scalped well and good.

Coming from the guy that's actively seeing a SS project I am once again setting myself up for a fall :lol:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:

Not that any of you lot care but I agree with Jedster. FCN is about your speed image, not your actual speed. If you dress like you're fast yet ride like a wuss you get whats coming to you. If you go down the stealth route you earn some easy scalps. SS/Fixies are portraying the image of speed. If your ego is writing cheques your body can't cash then you deserve to get scalped well and good.

Even less of you will care for my opinion but I'm also with the Jedster and Wrath Rob. FCNs are about image as much as the speed of the bike. If you drive a bog standard car and pass a Porsche or neon lit souped up super mini it makes no difference if the driver is an incompetent fool or Michael Schumacher. The car says "look at me" so beating it counts.

I've recently bored you all with my purchase of a ribble roadie. I've thought about adding mudguards and panniers but whether I do or not I know I'll get scalped and whether any additios increase my FCN number or not, in my heart (and more so in my soul) getting scalped by some kid on a MTB will eat away at me regardless.

a link from a thread somewhere else on this site led me to Sheldon Brown who explained the mystery of SS and Fixies to me. Some of it I got but some of the arguments - back to real cycling, being at one with the road - just didn't click with me. Perhaps if people had fixies with solid tyres and wooden seats :D However I did make an effort this morning to use my gears sparingly and to keep peddalling rather than coasting ( :?: will my legs ever forgive me :?: ) but frankly gears make my life easier and the commute is meant to be a pleasure, not a chore. If I wanted a chore I'd go back to the bus /tube combination... :wink:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body