Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Isn't that a bit of a theme over there? You are in the middle of nowhere approaching East Bumhair and there will be the largest [Insert largest random nonsensical object here] by the side of the road....

Not been there, but considering it. Best way to downgrading upgrade my housing providings (given that I spent too long at university and missed the housing express train).

My main fear with Oz is the lack of hills in or near anywhere I would be able to get work. I hate flat, its soul destroying.

Someone please tell me about a hilly city down under. NZ would do.

NZ has the steepest street in the world - Baldwin Street, in Dunedin.

However, while to the west of Christchurch are the Cantebury Plains (but there'll be mountains and Alps beyond those), to the east is Bnaks Peninsula. There's a hilly, 100km ride out to Akaroa everywhere. The scenery is fabulous. Slightly further north, you could then head west over Arthur's Pass and then back east over another mountain roady passy route. The scenery does not disappoint.

Christchurch is a bit like Cambridge.

I couldn't deal with the lack of seasons in Oz. NZ is the absolute business.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    By the way, I think I have Man Flu. It's awful. At what point do I dial 999 and summon the emergency services? Or is there a separate number for Man Flu? I heard that you actually get put through to International Rescue.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    cjcp wrote:
    By the way, I think I have Man Flu. It's awful. At what point do I dial 999 and summon the emergency services? Or is there a separate number for Man Flu? I heard that you actually get put through to International Rescue.

I've just recovered. From man-flu. It was traumatic. One day my nose ran.

I look at NZ as a surrogate British Columbia. Problem is, I think the closest I would be able to work to the South Island is the North Island. My field of work is definitely Auckland or Wellington and that's about it, I think.

NZ is also a hell of a long way from anywhere else.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cjcp wrote:
    Or is there a separate number for Man Flu?

Yup, your wife's mobile. Let me just find it for you.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Man flu...verr dangerous stuff

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6EElqrgk4N0
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

I've just recovered. From man-flu. It was traumatic. One day my nose ran.

I look at NZ as a surrogate British Columbia. Problem is, I think the closest I would be able to work to the South Island is the North Island. My field of work is definitely Auckland or Wellington and that's about it, I think.

NZ is also a hell of a long way from anywhere else.

Auckland's no bad place. Lovely harbour. I was told in the South Island "ah, the truffuc's (traffic) a nightmare in Aucklund, eh". Got there and, ok, there was a spot of traffic on the way in, but their idea of "traffic" and our idea of "traffic" are worlds apart.

Wellington is windy. And not particularly exciting at all. Sorry, Wellington.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Keep your eyes open on the way home, pilgrim. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    biondino wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

MEOW!

Finally back indoor, most of the kids are upstairs and have read over the past 5 pages of thread.......oh what fun I missed!

Completed my commute upto W11 safely this morning. Had some other roadies on the run-up to Wandsworth Bridge, one guy came flying past in traffic. I set about catching up with the first bit of competition in a week (mainly due to being off the bike......) did a good job of catching him then he goes and RLJ's....scumbag!!!!

Did another cyclist on a Willier tho, who then also RLJed on the mahusive roundabout on the sarf side of Wandsworth Bridge, idiocy!

Eventually arrived at my place of training, a full 40 minutes quicker then by PT - and this included 2 stops to check my map :-) Only problem is I found out today I have to bring a massive folder home tomorrow so won't be able to cycle in as I can't carry it on my bike! On the plus side I might only be in for half a day so whilst I'll have to get PT to and from the training, I should be able to then ride back into town for drinks :-D

Ride home was equally fun, although I did rile another cyclist who RLJed in Tooting. He came through the lights from the left as I was coming across, not directly in front of me but enough for me to have a moan. I flew past at about 22 and shouted "You should try stopping for reds!" He told me to shut up (in a few more words!) and overtook a bit later (at a red light I was slowing for, he couldn't match me otherwise!!) went straight through that as well and then into a No Entry road :evil:

One thing I have to say from today's commute, cycling in K&C is great! The multi lane one-way streets are great for getting space!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • always_tyred
    cjcp wrote:
    Auckland's no bad place. Lovely harbour. I was told in the South Island "ah, the truffuc's (traffic) a nightmare in Aucklund, eh". Got there and, ok, there was a spot of traffic on the way in, but their idea of "traffic" and our idea of "traffic" are worlds apart.

Wellington is windy. And not particularly exciting at all. Sorry, Wellington.

I heard that. Lack of excitement isn't a problem. I tend to evaluate cities in inverse proportion to their size, in combination with the availablility of 24 hr supermarkets (I'm disorganised), and their general appearance. You can't get much better than Edinbugh on those points.

But wind is troublesome. I play on water and on a bike. Both are better for a lack of wind. Bearing in mind that I live on a particliarly windy side of the windiest country in Europe, how windy is Wellington exactly?
  • cjcp
    how windy is Wellington exactly?

The resident Super 14s team are the Wellington Hurricanes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    cjcp wrote:

Damn.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I decided to go the Fulham Road route today. No reason.
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I decided to go the Fulham Road route today. No reason.

I've just arrived home, so you would have been safe. For now.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

Damn.

But, it's not as windy as Embankment. Jee-zuz. Between that and the man flu, I'm spent.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    OK lets get on the serious matter of drinks.....

I've got a job tomorrow on the south coast, so I'll be down to Southampton and back, then I have to work out how I'm going to do to get to the drinkypoos in there evening

Do I ride knowing I'll drink and then ride home?

Or do I say sod it get the train, and get myself a little bit more tipsy???

I guess it all depends on when I get back from the south coast...so fingers Xed for me
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cjcp
    I shall have to give you all a wave as I need to get home.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Morning lads and lasssies.

I was staying at my mothers house last night so had a commute from one end of the city to the other taking in the centre of town. Monumental road works taking place for the new trams (waste of money) and I encountered more arseholes in one ride than I normally do in a year. Highlight was actually seeing lots of cyclists (and dropping them) and the hooje poster of Chris Hoy 'King of Scotland' on Lothian Road. Very cool.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • always_tyred
    Morning lads and lasssies.

I was staying at my mothers house last night so had a commute from one end of the city to the other taking in the centre of town. Monumental road works taking place for the new trams (waste of money) and I encountered more arseholes in one ride than I normally do in a year. Highlight was actually seeing lots of cyclists (and dropping them) and the hooje poster of Chris Hoy 'King of Scotland' on Lothian Road. Very cool.

That one might be worth a picture on the board actually. I come past it every day so you never know!

Not sure I'm with you on the tram thing. There are quite a few rail lines thoruhg town that are predominantly freight only. There is capacity for linking up a few coridoors for trams. Also, Edinburgh is right on the cusp of becoming a traffic nightmare. Anything at all which might whisk people in from the M8/M9/A720 snafu without them having to park in long lines on all of the major roads for 2 hours each morning has got to be a good thing. There's a big P&R out that way already and loads of space for more. Having tram has got to be more attractive than a 45 min bus ride into the centre.
  • m0scs wrote:
    LiT, impressive average speed. From reading your earlier posts I understand that you have a personal trainer and spend each day lunchtime at the Gym doing squats, so I guess you must be super fit with legs like Chris Hoy. :lol:

Not super fit, but getting fitter - perseverance is the key! And for the last time, people, I don't want thighs like Chris Hoy, I want Chris Hoy! Why is that so hard for you all to understand...? :P

BJUK, yes, K&C is a good area to cycle in, but the two-way-one-way streets are a bit odd! I don't really feel safe on them... I think sometimes the dirvers just presume you're breaking the law...

Had a bit of a hangover this morning, so didn't really power it in, but only saw one other bike. :cry:

In other news, the sandals have to be swapped for some SPD shoes soon, my toes were completely numb when I got to work today...

And yaaay drinks this evening!

CJ, I'm sure you have time for a swift half :)
  • cjcp

LiT - would love to, but the good lady and monster squad are back today, so I'm off home to tuck the monsters into their caves. I also have a bout of man flu, which is worsening by the minute. Was operating on 50% power this morning and got scalped more than once.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

LiT - would love to, but the good lady and monster squad are back today, so I'm off home to tuck the monsters into their caves. I also have a bout of man flu, which is worsening by the minute. Was operating on 50% power this morning and got scalped more than once.

Ahhhh the man flu. My housemate is down with it at the minute, the house was like a sauna when i got home last night.

I wonder if there's an actual reason why men get worse colds, or whether they're just wusses about them.... :P
  • always_tyred
    Actually, L-i-t, I think there was a recent study on this kind of thing. Turns out that, not withstanding the whole childbirth thing, men really do tolerate pain better. Given that we are so brave, it must follow that man-flu really IS worse.

After all, we do generally have larger noses and bigger lungs. Maybe we really do suffer more?
  • cjcp
    Actually, L-i-t, I think there was a recent study on this kind of thing. Turns out that, not withstanding the whole childbirth thing, men really do tolerate pain better. Given that we are so brave, it must follow that man-flu really IS worse.

After all, we do generally have larger noses and bigger lungs. Maybe we really do suffer more?

I have the lungs of a moose and the nose of an anteater. That explains the severity of my condition.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Morning lads and lasssies.

That one might be worth a picture on the board actually. I come past it every day so you never know!

I'll leave it to you...
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    cjcp wrote:

Can you have 50% of nothing???

I love kicking a man when he 's down :twisted:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp wrote:

I have the lungs of a moose and the nose of an anteater. That explains the severity of my condition.

Heeheehee!

Ah boys, you are funny with your maintaining that men get worse colds... it's patently untrue. You all just complain more. :P
  • Littigator wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • cjcp
    Littigator wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Hahahahahaha.

I don't need to go sprint training in Hyde Park in order to get my scalps...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Back on topic, and going for a record on consecutive posts, after beerz this evening I am going to head on over to Clapham to be the late entry in a house party with friends from Uni, then back up to Ealing...

It's fun to explore new areas! I have just spent a fair old while printing out maps from Google.

Might get myself one of those headlamp thingies so I can actually read the maps...

Fun fun fun! :D

What time at ze morpeth? I don't care for work today...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    SCR will be my downfall, its like heroin for me, fantastic while you're on it but it ruins your life between fixes. Let me explain...

Yesterday was not a good day. After the morning ride my body seemed to have swapped my legs for low level pain generators, possibly while I was in the shower before work. MKy colleagues laughed at my general complaining about the cold, the wind and how I was not looking forward to the ride home. The pain generators quietly hummed as they went about their business. The day wore on, slowly, the wind blew and I had a sense of foreboding about the ride home, my legs ached in sympathy, pleading with me for a gentle cruise.

An urgent issue delayed my departure but at 6.15 I zipped up my Baked Alaska and headed out to the bike. The early miles towards Lambeth bridge were uneventful, aside from the normal fools who semi-RLJ and then look shocked when the guy on the road bike comes up the inside of them and heads into the distance. Even the Millbank Wind Tunnel was realtively uneventful, someone had evidently forgotten to power it up for the ride home.

Things took a turn for worse at Vauxhal. I went for the middle lane to avoid the normal flotsam at the lights (Bromptons, 10 year old MTBs that have never seen oil and the like). But what was this? A fixie, a SS and a very keen looking roadie in lycra but with a panier? The heroin-like itch kicks in, the keening from my quads slips from my mind, the lights go green and we're off. 4 men taking on the might of the scooters and taxis as we cross the junction. The SS and fixie lead, then me followed by the other roadie, wearing a flourescent jacket. My mind was fixed on the scalps in front as we hit 24mph, and I start to plan my attack, their sclaps calling to me to slake my addiction.

However, fate held a suprise in store as the flourescent roadie came past me and carried on past my scalps! He was obviously a player though as he didn't immediately cut in but stayed a good 3 meters out of the curb so that the 3 of us couldn't tuck in and enjoy his hard work. Quicly a gap opened between him and the fixie. Spying my chance I switched the pain generators to 80%, took my scalps and latched onto Mr Bright's wheel. His pace scared me, 26 is about 4pmh faster than I'd normally do but he had ripped the atmosphere asunder for me, so I felt comfortable in his wake.

That should read comfortable and guilty. At the bridge before Royal Hospital Road we were held by the lights. My two privous victories now forgotten, my addiction asks for the scalp of Mr Bright. Lights change, flotsam once again bars our path down the hill but is brushed aside as we reach cruising speed once again. Before anyone else can react, I up the pain generators to 110% and pull out to make the pass. I say something about the crap weather on my way past and put the hammer down. A cursory look reveals that its not just Mr Bright and me though, there are now 6 of us, 5 riders baying for my blood! I know that I can't hold 28mph for long but I grit my teath and push on. Fortunately the traffic is backing up from Battersea Bridge so I can ease of with my pride intact, safe in the knowledge that I took my turn at the front and claimed a couple of scalps along the way.

The pain generators remained at peak capacity for the rest of the ride home but my itch had been scratched, at least until this morning, but that's another story.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.