Silly commuting racing

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    To the guy who undertook me as I was moving carefully around a car which was stranded across a major junction on Lothian Road this evening, I just wanted to confirm that you are a indeed a gormless tool and you won't last long before taking yourself or someone else out.

To the same guy who pulled alongside me at the ped crosssing at the Meadows about 15 seconds later and then cut me up because it never ocurred to you that, despite riding your Specialized shiny new brown road bike like you just stared a BMX race, you might still be alongside me. Good job I braked to let you over, eh? For the avoidance of doubt, I wanted to confirm that you are a menace.

If you are going to try to show off your cycle craft and urban speed demon skills, might I advise you to cycle fast enough not to come over as a tub of lard who just splashed out on a new bike.

I feel better now.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Phew.....I've finally made it through all the chat about wine (goes right over my head, i drink cider.......), pie, opinion's on various bikes - the Sunday's are nice! - and various ring related post's......

Sorry I;ve been a bit quiet, not that anyone seemed to have noticed! "Where's VL gone...." sod BJUK........

Due to work commitments and a total lack of internet connectivity I have been unable to lurk around on here and post all day as has been usual for me over the past few months!
    I should be back in the game tomorrow however and hopefully with bike for drinks on Friday ARE THEY STILL ON PLEASE SAY YES!!! I'm looking forward to the excuse to well have drinks and ride through Hyde Park to get down there! Should also be down pretty early as the training has been finishing @ 4:30 each day :-D

The only problem is I'm riding from my usual start point near the Eagles footie ground up to W11, near White City - and I've never done the route b4 :-( Got a rough idea where to head - over Wandsworth Bridge, then er east a bit then north........so if anyone sees someone scratching their head and staring at a cycle map in the vicinity of Earls Court tomorrow say hello!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I'm still up for beers, definitely! :D And welcome back.

I think a few others said yes, or yes for a couple.

In other news, nobody on the roads this morning. Nobody. Damn it all.

I have finally fitted my computer! Hurrah! And it seems I am getting faster. Not as fast as you roadies, nor indeed as fast as Litts/CP/JA, but faster nonetheless! My fast cruise, not sustainable all day, but definitely sustainable for my commute on the flattish, is up above 23mph, not really hitting 24 that often but occasionally. On the Gollum it was 21-ish. Interesting. Mad sprints weren't really possible due to the traffic, but we shall see! There was a slight headwind, but I don't think it had any impact. Hurrah to increased speed!

I might borrow my brother's anemometer

http://www.aceselectronics.co.uk/product.php?xProd=200&xSec=50&jssCart=59974667e6e7b79434e7d58a78a5b57c

and measure the wind speed too! See if there really is always a headwind... :shock:
  • always_tyred
    I read an interview with Robbie McEwan fairly recently.

It appears that most of you people are actually commuting faster than he can ride solo during training. Well done.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Still no one to race this morning; too chilly for them? Lovely morning though and was getting towards doing only my second 22+mph average over the 10 miles when I got caught in traffic on the slip road and had to stop for a while. So only 21.5mph this morning but effectively scalped my yesterday self! Sad state of affairs when you have to resort to scalping yourself :)
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I read an interview with Robbie McEwen fairly recently.

It appears that most of you people are actually commuting faster than he can ride solo during training. Well done.

how far does he travel while cycle training?

most of 'our' speeds are sprinting over a couple of miles
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I read an interview with Robbie McEwen fairly recently.

Indeed. Truely are we the iron men (and women) of the urban landscape.
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • always_tyred
    I seem to have touched a raw nerve.
  • I don't know who robbie mcewen is, but I sincerely doubt that I'm faster than him if others know who he is!

My 'fast cruising speed' is only held for a short time as Clever Pun says, I will try to figure out how to measure the distance between stops with the computer on the way home, but probably not more than a mile in one hit at the longest. I do wish I didn't have to stop though!!

I'm just happy to be going faster... but I'm a long way off anyone professional!

:D
  • On the 'where are they now' track, what's happened to will3...he was one of the founding fathers of this thread....
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • I seem to have touched a raw nerve.

Hee hee! I think people can be guilty of looking down at the speedo during a fast bit and reporting that as the crusiing or average speed. I know my average is nowhere near some of the numbers here. My highest was 18mph over a three mile journey, and that day I was lucky with lights, traffic and was pushing hard.

I dont doubt we have some proper speed demons here (the shaved ones!) who can maintain high speeds. I boast about my speed and my scalping but I dont doubt for a minute that there are guys on this forum and thread that could make me look like a 5 year old girl with stablisers!!! :lol:
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    I am properly EXCITED.

my little bro's housemate has been dabbling in cycling. Him and his Dad have decided to tackle the 09 Etape. My bro is rugby mad and in fine fettle, however all my attempts to lure him into cycling have been rebuffed... until now! He called me on Monday night and is also thinking of doing the Etape so we're meeting for a drink tonight to discuss. Whoohoo, I'm gonna talk him round big time and convert him, perhaps a newcomer to the SCR is on the horizon?

Secretly I'm concerned that'll he'll be much better than I am though, he's much fitter and has no body fat at all... on the other hand he is very motivated in general so should help to kick my training up a notch over the winter months.

Fingers crossed, I feel like a missionary. Off to spread the word of the ROADIE now.

ohohohoh and it's the mighty Blues in the Champions league tonight so I get to combine my bro, beer, Chelsea and cycling into an awesome blend of awesomeness.

Yay! :P

Except, now you've come out you'll be shunned by all rugby playing football supporting real men :wink:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I seem to have touched a raw nerve.

Hee hee! I think people can be guilty of looking down at the speedo during a fast bit and reporting that as the crusiing or average speed. I know my average is nowhere near some of the numbers here. My highest was 18mph over a three mile journey, and that day I was lucky with lights, traffic and was pushing hard.

I dont doubt we have some proper speed demons here (the shaved ones!) who can maintain high speeds. I boast about my speed and my scalping but I dont doubt for a minute that there are guys on this forum and thread that could make me look like a 5 year old girl with stablisers!!! :lol:

people talk about the racing parts not the average... talking about filtering at 5mph is hardly worth a post... not many mention average speeds either ( upto 19 for myself, depending on so many factors it's untrue)

No nerves just giving you the facts
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I seem to have touched a raw nerve.

I think average speed is very tricky in a city, what with the lights and all that you spend a lot of time slowing or stopped.

When I say 'cruising speed' I mean the speed at which I can look down several times in one long stretch and the speed is around the same (in this case 23+) for the whole of that stretch without my having to try so hard that it would be unsustainable over a longer distance - the speed where I'm happy to 'sit' and it feels good, and I get back to it after slowing or stopping.

I think my worry is that I'm boasting untruthfully, or being unclear, hence the clarification!
  • Littigator
    That's brilliant! I wish my brother wasn't into the WRONG type of cycling...

He rides one of these:

521834738715.png

Never mind, that's not as bad as the abomination that I saw at my LBS this morning. Where does this sit on the FCN scale?

3gspyder.jpg

I suggest that as you'd be laughing so hard you'd actually be unable to pass it, whiklst at the smae time potentially very able to pass it. Which would result in some sort of perpetual motion time/reality rift and then we'd have mini black holes and everything and the world would end...maybe anyway.

• Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods Batman!

What on earth is that? How do you ride it? WHAT THE HECK...?

Where is your LBS. I must know. I think I'd probably be so ffascinated that I'd be totally unable to pass. Well, until I'd taken a picture, or jumped them and nicked their whatever-that-is and had a go!!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - how the heck do you lot go so fast???

I'm ecstatic with my average of 14-16 on the way home (14 and a bit miles) I only EVER see 20+ when I'm on the bridleway and it's dry.

If I cruise at 18 I'm a happy bunny. Either I've got my cycle computer set completely incorrectly or I'm just a podgy middle-aged wannabe.... errrr.... Oh :cry:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Littigator
    Cyclefit in Selfridges...me and the guy in there were having a hilarious snigger at the thing. Apparently some dude brought it in to have the mechanic build it up.

I guessed riding it would be a bit like riding a fixie in that you only forget to stop pedalling on a fixie once before you learn your lesson. On this you'd only forget not to sit down once (ouch) and lesson would be learnt :wink:

ps Welcome back BJUK, I missed you....and your disproportionately huge amount of posts (surely you do no work man) :wink:

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - how the heck do you lot go so fast???
    The london streets are paved with immaculate tarmac and helpful traffic light phasing.

Oh, how we laughed.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Littigator wrote:
    Cyclefit in Selfridges...me and the guy in there were having a hilarious snigger at the thing. Apparently some dude brought it in to have the mechanic build it up.

I guessed riding it would be a bit like riding a fixie in that you only forget to stop pedalling on a fixie once before you learn your lesson. On this you'd only forget not to sit down once (ouch) and lesson would be learnt :wink:

ps Welcome back BJUK, I missed you....and your disproportionately huge amount of posts (surely you do no work man) :wink:

My brain is about to explode with all the must know building up to unmanageable levels... :shock:

What's it called? Google will help me...

And my god you'd only forget to sit down once... ouch... :?
  • Feltup
    I'm ecstatic with my average of 14-16 on the way home (14 and a bit miles) I only EVER see 20+ when I'm on the bridleway and it's dry.

I think the clue for you is in your location! Derbyshire = hilly = lower speeds. I only have the lower chilterns to fight with on my commute. ( I do occasionally wrestle badgers but that is another story).

If you are in stop start traffic then kiss goodbye any idea of getting a decent average speed.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited October 2008

My brain is about to explode with all the must know building up to unmanageable levels... :shock:

What's it called? Google will help me...

And my god you'd only forget to sit down once... ouch... :?

Ah thank god for that - I found it. It's called a 3g stepper spyder...

A link here

http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/200 ... the_3g.php

can give you more info, if like me you thirst for knowledge and are a gadget nut, ad you can see a guy doing a totally rad trick on it... :shock:

EDIT

review here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/o ... 16019.html
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited October 2008
    I read an interview with Robbie McEwen fairly recently.

That's because he's a whinging wheelsucker and unable to ride solo.
  • Littigator
    LiTs I'm seriously worried about you, you're falling for an abomination. That thing is an offence against nature, it's biker blasphemy!!!

Ker-rist you'll turn up to drinks in roller blades next!

• Ahhh. Roller Blades. Whatever did happen to Bent Mikey?
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • Feltup
    Ah thank god for that - I found it. It's called a 3g stepper spyder...

A link here

http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/200 ... the_3g.php

$650!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Littigator wrote:
    LiTs I'm seriously worried about you, you're falling for an abomination. That thing is an offence against nature, it's biker blasphemy!!!

Ker-rist you'll turn up to drinks in roller blades next!

It's OK, I just have a massive need to know problem with anything new, and love a good gadget!

Especially if it looks like it might be fun, and you can go somewhere on it!

Imagine spinning down Mt Putney on that!!! :shock:
  • Littigator
    It had an 8speed (I think) rear derailluer so could whip up a reasonable pace. I'd crap meself on that thing though

• Feltup
    Imagine spinning down Mt Putney on that!!!
    I can imagine it. :? Spinning down the road in your 80's all in one Nevica ski suit, legs together, performing short neat turns whilst your arse wiggles like Stein Eriksen http://www.kutv.com/media/news/4/1/d/41dd5fbe-9725-49c6-bf38-c47396c079d2/Story.jpg

It would be nothing to be proud of.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Feltup wrote:
    Imagine spinning down Mt Putney on that!!!
    I can imagine it. :? Spinning down the road in your 80's all in one Nevica ski suit, legs together, performing short neat turns whilst your ars* wiggles like Stein Eriksen http://www.kutv.com/media/news/4/1/d/41dd5fbe-9725-49c6-bf38-c47396c079d2/Story.jpg

It would be nothing to be proud of.

Hahahahahaaa! That is exactly what I thought, if you managed to avoid an 'involuntary dismount' you'd look seriously daft with all the jiggly bits jiggling!

Which is why this

GP16_08_thumbs.jpg

is still top of my unnecessary gadget wishilist!