XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Oh and there is an 18 limit for the Kent Trails rides, for obviouse reasons.

damn :(

o well weather looks to be alright for my ride sunday :shock: light rain but when are the bbc ever right :lol:

cant wait for it :P
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    RussAlf wrote:
    Fooite? :roll:

Yeah im definately riding and hopefully andy will come along aslong as he watches out on his commutes home :D im never going to let that go!
    Think we will ride surrey and see what i can get him to go down, we have a few new sketchy sections on the loop now including a gap jump which you have to do..

Just drilled out the cable stops on my frame, was pretty scary stuff having a dremel and file on your frame. Do have a full outer and xtr gear cable all the way to the mech now. Pefect shifting!
    Lol i'm scared now, shall i bring my full face :shock: At least my new 661 evo's turned up today. I'v just been walking round the house kneeing walls testing out the D30 molecules :lol:

Surry sounds like a plan, but how big is this gap jump? Remember i get zero chance to practice my jumping round here. Do you know what time and where you want to meat up yet? Is there anywhere on the London main line that's good for you, as it was a bit of a mission getting to Tonbridge last time.

What gear outers are you using? I think it might have been a good idea to try the sealed XTR set before drilling the frame out. I have full length cables and i think the extra friction due to them being full length is causing my gear problems at the moment. I am thinking of getting some cable stops so i can run interupted outers along the top tube to see if that helps. Either that or spend £35 on GORE cables.

I had sealed cables on berfore, the problem is that the cable breaks out down under the downtube so they just get covered in crap and clog up. The shifting is spot on now, if they start to get a bit sticky ill by some middleburn oilers and oil the guides every now and then. The shifting has 100% improved, i was struggling to shift up with the old set-up. The XTR cable and full outer cost me £10, bit better than £35 and the risk of it still clogging up.
    Surry sounds like a plan, but how big is this gap jump? Remember i get zero chance to practice my jumping round here. Do you know what time and where you want to meat up yet? Is there anywhere on the London main line that's good for you, as it was a bit of a mission getting to Tonbridge last time.

Id prefer it mate if you went to sevenoaks this time as ill be going back to my girlfreinds afterwards and ill be going away from myself taking you to sevenoaks and tonbridge is alot further. Ill have a look at other stations i could possibly get you from.
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    Just had a look on National Rail site and sevenoaks is only one change after 08:50 which isn't too bad, but if you do find somewhere on the mainline that suits you that would be sweet :) Realy looking forward to this, weather outlook is looking good too :D

Do you know if you can get XTR full length outers? All the majour sites only do the sealed kit i think. I am surprised your old sealed cables gunked up, i ran them on my old frame for a couple of months last winter and i didn't have to touch them once.
  • RussAlf
    You can get xtr full outer online, search using the shimano code for it.

Sevenoaks is best for me really, ive had a look and no where else is as good for me. What time shall we call it? can you get to sevenoaks for about 10-11ish?
  • andyturner28
    RussAlf wrote:

Sevenoaks is best for me really, ive had a look and no where else is as good for me. What time shall we call it? can you get to sevenoaks for about 10-11ish?
    No worries mate, Sevenoaks is Ok. I don't mind one change, it's just when there are 2 or 3 it can get a bit annoying. Is 11:13 OK? As it is my only day off till next Monday it would be nice to have a bit of a ligh in :)
  • stevet1992
    just a quick question 8)

have any of you had troubles getting your bike onto the trains (im on about after the ride when there muddy/dirty)

• RussAlf
    RussAlf wrote:

No worries mate, Sevenoaks is Ok. I don't mind one change, it's just when there are 2 or 3 it can get a bit annoying. Is 11:13 OK? As it is my only day off till next Monday it would be nice to have a bit of a ligh in :)

Yeah thats fine mate, it would be better a bit earlier if you could, that would give us a bit more time. I need to finish the ride by 5ish which as the clocks go back tonight it willbe practically dark.
  • RussAlf
    stevet1992 wrote:
    just a quick question 8)

have any of you had troubles getting your bike onto the trains (im on about after the ride when there muddy/dirty)

Ive never had a problem but i dont get the train much.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    stevet1992 wrote:
    just a quick question 8)

Nope - never, just be carefuly not to wipe it against anyone by mistake ;) Oh and if you're going in or out of London there are time restrictions for bikes.

Had a good ride with Kent Trails today - about 30 miles (door to door) or mainly flowing singletrack with some tight twisty sections thrown in for good measure. It opened up a whole new lease of life for Blean but unfortunately i'm not entirely sure where we went. I think i can remember a few bits though. I'll definitely meet up with them again- despite feeling the last few days riding and football i thought the pace was about perfect. I'm keen to try the longer Sunday rides sometime soon as well 8)
  • stevet1992
    pittpony wrote:
    stevet1992 wrote:
    just a quick question 8)

Nope - never, just be carefuly not to wipe it against anyone by mistake ;) Oh and if you're going in or out of London there are time restrictions for bikes.

yeh ill have to be careful about that :P the weather for tomorrow looks absolutely crap :shock:

hopefully the rain holds out :evil:

• andyturner28
    RussAlf wrote:
    RussAlf wrote:

Yeah thats fine mate, it would be better a bit earlier if you could, that would give us a bit more time. I need to finish the ride by 5ish which as the clocks go back tonight it willbe practically dark.
    Ok i will get the 8:24 which gets in at 10:13. I didn't think about the clocks going back, yey back to riding home in the dark again :evil:
  • pittpony
    Boreddddddddddddd

Insert Random Picture

n738260443_4094852_6542.jpg

Love the pack-a-mac look Russ ;)
  • andyturner28
    Ahahaha But with all the hilarious pictures of you floating around your asking for trouble there mate :lol:
  • pittpony
    Ahahaha But with all the hilarious pictures of you floating around your asking for trouble there mate :lol:
    Bring it on!!! ;)

n738260443_3277241_8582.jpg

This was Andy after a quick blast round Blean on Wednesday evening ;):lol:
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    pittpony wrote:
    Bring it on!!! ;)
    You asked for it :twisted:
    SheepMan.jpgNo one slept well that night :shock:
  • pittpony
    impished wrote:
    No one slept well that night :shock:
    That was just because of your snoring though wasn't it??! :lol:
  • Chaps, I'm curious, those 661 evo knee pads you can get, are they comfy enough to wear across a whole ride?
    I've got knee n shins but they just irritate so am looking to get some knee only guards, like what you've just brought Andy..

Any reccommendations for reasonably priced but good ones?
  • andyturner28
    pittpony wrote:
    Bring it on!!! ;)

n738260443_3277241_8582.jpg

This was Andy after a quick blast round Blean on Wednesday evening ;):lol:
    Haha I actually felt worse last Wednesday than when we finnished the SDW!
  • RussAlf
    Jon i have the 661 kylie strait knee pads and i pretty much wear them on every ride now, they really are very good and dont restrict movement at all.
  • andyturner28
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Chaps, I'm curious, those 661 evo knee pads you can get, are they comfy enough to wear across a whole ride?
    I've got knee n shins but they just irritate so am looking to get some knee only guards, like what you've just brought Andy..

The 661 Evo's are great, i used them for the first time last night and you hardly notice your weraing them. They are a bit more low profile than the Carl strait's so don't notice as much under trousers too. A bit expensive but i think they are worth it. Less protection than the KS's though, so if i am riding anywhere with lots of big rocks like Afan i would wear the Troy Lees, but for the sort of riding we do most of the time they are perfect. And before everyone starts taking the pee out of me for wearing pads for XC i do actually have a problem with my knee still, and if i fall on it again unprotected i won't be riding again for a very long time!
  • RussAlf
    edited October 2008
    Random video in revenge to Nicks pic

House Keeping Duites

I think ive wet myself
    IMG_0115-vi.jpg
  • RussAlf
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Chaps, I'm curious, those 661 evo knee pads you can get, are they comfy enough to wear across a whole ride?

The 661 Evo's are great, i used them for the first time last night and you hardly notice your weraing them. They are a bit more low profile than the Carl strait's so don't notice as much under trousers too. A bit expensive but i think they are worth it. Less protection than the KS's though, so if i am riding anywhere with lots of big rocks like Afan i would wear the Troy Lees, but for the sort of riding we do most of the time they are perfect. And before everyone starts taking the pee out of me for wearing pads for XC i do actually have a problem with my knee still, and if i fall on it again unprotected i won't be riding again for a very long time!

Do you wear them to work :lol::lol::lol: ?
  • RussAlf
    DSC00739-vi.jpg

SLX Goodnesss
  • andyturner28
    RussAlf wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:

Do you wear them to work :lol::lol::lol: ?
    No i don't wear them to work! I just ride like a 90 year old avoiding every stone, pebble and bump and cornering at 1mph :lol:
  • andyturner28
    img0060.html Cry baby :lol:

Ok how the hell do you post pictures on here? I thought you just put an [img]either end :?[/img]
  • pittpony
    Andy, you need to right click the pic > properties, take the address of the image and paste between the tags.

Was this pic a demonstration of the horrors that can occur if you don't wear knee pads on the way to work?? ;)

IMG_0060-vi.jpg
  • pittpony
    I like the look of the SLX goodness Russ. How heavy is the crankset (compared to your old one)? Do you get a bb with it? £80ish on CRC seems a bargain 8)
  • RussAlf
    Nick, yup bb with it. It weighs more than my old one but then that was a crappy truvati five d which i really shouldnt have been some things ive been doing on them. All the reviews are excellent on them.

I was going to post that pic andy!
  • andyturner28
    RussAlf wrote:
    Nick, yup bb with it. It weighs more than my old one but then that was a crappy truvati five d which i really shouldnt have been some things ive been doing on them. All the reviews are excellent on them.

I was going to post that pic andy!
    Ha ha beat you :P God i'm board! oh well, only 54 minuits to go then i can go pick my bike up with it's latest extortionate upgrade :D