XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• Well you all found it OH so funny when my fall vid got posted, i thought i would repay the complement. :D
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    pittpony wrote:
    Loving the vids guys, apart from the ones where I fall off :lol:

That will be all of them then :lol:
  • RussAlf
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Russ speaking for experience with cracks on bikes, mine have all happened around a weld line. Yours looks more like a scratch from when they installed the bolt, But would have to have a look for real for a better opinion. Can you see the Alu or what?

Have you had any response yet? I am sure they will sort it out seeing as its so new.

All the Afan vids are up now

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-2-Vids/

feel free to leave sarcastic remarks :)

No response from Merlin yet, ive got a feeling its the paint thats cracked and not the actual frame. Im going to paint over it and then see if that paint cracks aswell to tell if its a crack.

Nice vids, really enjoyed watching all of them.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I guess the only way you could check for yourself is to rub the paint down to the bare metal.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    RussAlf wrote:
    pittpony wrote:
    Loving the vids guys, apart from the ones where I fall off :lol:

That will be all of them then :lol:
    No ttrue Russ and you know it. There's at least one vid of me crawling at snails pace over a slight bump and i don't fall off. So there. :lol:
  • RussAlf
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1477&categoryId=17

All donations gratefully received....

How much do you think my revealations are worth?
  • pittpony
    RussAlf wrote:

I'll give you a tenner for them ;)
  • RussAlf
    Times that by 12 and there yours.
  • RussAlf
    impished wrote:
    I guess the only way you could check for yourself is to rub the paint down to the bare metal.

Yeah i guess, Merlin have got back to me saying that it is highly unlikely the frame would crack there and they have never seen it happen there before. Im going to leave it and see if it grows, i might paint over it and wait to see if the paint cracks again to test if the metal below is moving.

When can we sort out the next ride together?
  • pittpony
    RussAlf wrote:
    impished wrote:

ASAP, and somewhere with HILLS :D I'm relatively free this weekend but away next weekend. Evenings are getting horrendous for me at the moment but if you suggest one I'll do my best to be there!
  • I think a trip around BBH is in order, and with the mud.. Well I'm thinking the fun factor could be rather high...
    Ventured up there on my way home from work, and tried out a new area down from Boxley.. Wowzers!
    And yes it's very slippery... Which of course makes it so much better...
  • impished wrote:
    pittpony wrote:
    I barely used my granny ring on either trip, as I am brilliant.
    Let not beat around the whatstit Nick. You are a mountain-goat. But.......
    Andy
    did
    steal
    your
    title
    :shock:

We had a 50(ish) minute head-start and he still managed to catch up :shock: :oops: :?
    Oh, but on the other hand, I DID manage to beat you on a little hill sprint, eh, Andy :wink:

(just watch his come-back to that comment :twisted: )
    Ah but that little race killed you on every other hill that day:) i was well impressed with myself for catching you up, but Nick is the new goat, well Russ too, as you guys thrashed us up the White's ascent! I think i overdid it a bit catching you up on Saturday, i was so knackered i almost threw up! And i only mentioned the climbing because the ascent per mile is a lot more than the SDW.

Hope your frame is ok Russ. Like Mark said most frames crack at the welds, so it should be fine. Anyone riding next week? I'm off on Monday:)
  • impished
    but Nick is the new goat, well Russ too
    Good points Andy. We forget that Nick is only just out of nappies :wink:. Fookin easy to forget Russ had 6 weeks off the bike.
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    edited September 2008
    RussAlf wrote:
    impished wrote:

Yeah i guess, Merlin have got back to me saying that it is highly unlikely the frame would crack there and they have never seen it happen there before. Im going to leave it and see if it grows, i might paint over it and wait to see if the paint cracks again to test if the metal below is moving.

Anyone fancy Swinley or Surry next weekend? I am working this weekend but am up for BBH during the week he anyone can make it. I can get the train strait from work. Night ride round BBH could be interesting though!
  • I'm off work Monday but have college instead, not sure what time I'll be out but definately up for an evening ride!
  • RussAlf wrote:

Nicccce! I thnk the 55's have all got good reviews, not sure how they rate against the pike air's though as i haven't come accross any groupe tests yet. That's a good price too!
  • RussAlf
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    I think a trip around BBH is in order, and with the mud.. Well I'm thinking the fun factor could be rather high...
    Ventured up there on my way home from work, and tried out a new area down from Boxley.. Wowzers!

What are you on about? The fun factor majorly decrease with mud and when its slippery its just annoying.
  • RussAlf
    impished wrote:
    pittpony wrote:
    Andy
    did
    steal
    your
    title

We had a 50(ish) minute head-start and he still managed to catch up :shock: :oops: :?
    Oh, but on the other hand, I DID manage to beat you on a little hill sprint, eh, Andy :wink:

Ah but that little race killed you on every other hill that day:) i was well impressed with myself for catching you up, but Nick is the new goat, well Russ too, as you guys thrashed us up the White's ascent! I think i overdid it a bit catching you up on Saturday, i was so knackered i almost threw up! And i only mentioned the climbing because the ascent per mile is a lot more than the SDW.

Hope your frame is ok Russ. Like Mark said most frames crack at the welds, so it should be fine. Anyone riding next week? I'm off on Monday:)

Although i WON :D up the whites level you have to take into account that it near on killed me but i just wanted to do for myself.

Personally i feel nick one the mountain goat award however andy wins the award for best effort sprint climb!
  • RussAlf wrote:
    impished wrote:
    pittpony wrote:
    Andy
    did
    steal
    your
    title

Although i WON :D up the whites level you have to take into account that it near on killed me but i just wanted to do for myself.

Personally i feel nick one the mountain goat award however andy wins the award for best effort sprint climb!
    Cheers, but it was more like sprint for a bit, stop to cough up a lung, sprint slower for longer then cry when i see the root and rock infested singletrack uphill, stop to neerly throw up! Bloody good fun though :D And it was weird how the steeper singletrack climbs seemed easyer than the fireroads. Glad we'r not there this weekend though! We thought the rain on Sunday was annoying, but 2 weeks worth in one day!!!
  • RussAlf
    At work yesterday we had news feeds coming in from ITV Wales reporting of the mass flooding throughout Wales.We had a good weekend in comparason, the rain really didnt bother me on Sunday.

Still sufering from post wales syndrom, think i need some retail therapy in the form of 140mm 20mm bolt through.
  • impished
    RussAlf wrote:
    Still sufering from post wales syndrom, think i need some retail therapy in the form of 140mm 20mm bolt through.
    BUY THEM!!! You'll feel soooo much better. :wink:
    AndyTurner wrote:
    Night ride round BBH could be interesting though!
    BBH in the dark sound cool 8) We all up for that?
    RussAlf wrote:
    What are you on about? The fun factor majorly decrease with mud and when its slippery its just annoying.
    I'm with you on that one Russ. Mud can be fun but BBH is just not the type of place to benefit from mud. Unlike Blean or Bedgebury :wink:
  • RussAlf wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    I think a trip around BBH is in order, and with the mud.. Well I'm thinking the fun factor could be rather high...

I agree about the actual Boxley route we do, but the bit I was on was super fun.. It was the other side of the view point, big dense area with lots of singletrack and some big open tracks, which I had a great time on because I like skidding about, plus my brakes were so fucked they actually smoked heavily by the time I got to the bottom.. (This was on my spesh btw)
    Of course my little trip over a tree didn't help, buckled the wheel and done the front mech in, think I may of bent the chainring too.
    It's not too bad up there atm so if your all up for it....
    Obviously if it rains non stop from now on it may not be so worth it..
  • RussAlf wrote:
    At work yesterday we had news feeds coming in from ITV Wales reporting of the mass flooding throughout Wales.We had a good weekend in comparason, the rain really didnt bother me on Sunday.

The 55's are verry nice, but i think you should concider 160's with travel adjust down to 120 something. Not sure how much coil lyrics are but they would be perfect.
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Hi All - Done BBH today, as you can expect it was bloody muddy and wet, which for me made it great fun!..

Didnt like the trackway south of the woods along Pilgrims way, practically flooded so go wet feet, apart from that, loved it, but lost loads of speed on the downhills, but gained some fun hairy moments!

My new High Rollers made all the difference too! Well pleased with those, AND I went clipless offroad for the first time in ages with no silly offs.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • So is the BBH ride on????
  • pittpony
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    So is the BBH ride on????
    What time and date???
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf wrote:

The 55's are verry nice, but i think you should concider 160's with travel adjust down to 120 something. Not sure how much coil lyrics are but they would be perfect.

Lyrics are about £450 matey, far to much!

Could get these instead for a bit more:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1201&categoryId=17
  • pittpony
    Well, no proper riding for me this weekend but i finally got my commute bike built up again. I'm mighty pleased as i managed to get wheels, freehub, bearings, brakes, shifters, cables, forks, grips, spacers, tyre and skewers on the shoestring budget of £90 plus Andy's lunch (cheers Andy and Russ for the various bits). Seems a shame to scrimp on componments for almost a grands worth of frame but i just wanted to get her running again. Rode her in this morning and had forgotten just how damn quick that thing can be, especially with a skinny tyre on the rear - she absolutely flies up the hills :D Bit of a shock to the system going from a full sus to a hardtail with 50psi in the tyres though :lol::lol:
  • pittpony wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    What time and date???

The original plan was for today as Andy is off work and I think Ade's up for it...

Or is it too late now for everyone?
  • pittpony
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    pittpony wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    What time and date???

The original plan was for today as Andy is off work and I think Ade's up for it...

Or is it too late now for everyone?
    Ah, well i'm at my desk as i type so won't be able to make it :( Enjoy if you do go out though! I'm more than a little jealous.