XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    impished wrote:
    I've just noticed that no one got any pics of that mega technical erm..... wooden bridge that Nick and Mark manage to have a pile-up on :wink:

40-odd miles of sweet technical trails and the biggest crash was on the bridge by the fishing lake!!!! Oh, how stupid did we look :roll:

No but that is forever stored in my memory.

Going to have a look at everyones pics now and start the process of sorting out the vids.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I didn't like that bridge. Next time i may wear a helmet and take a less technical line...
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    BTW, how much climbing did we do? I'm assuming it was over 1500 meters :shock:

Bit of a 1st for me, I really wanna repeat a climb! The whites Level climb was fun 8)
  • pittpony
    As a rough guess from what i can remember i'd say Raven trail was about 750 meters, The Wall and Whites are a bit either side of 500 meters so definitely 1500 meters plus. I'd say more though as we did mess around a bit too. Wouldn't be suprised if we climbed between 1800m and 2k over the weekend. Would have been even more if we'd fitted in the Wall again on Sunday!
  • impished
    pittpony wrote:
    Would have been even more if we'd fitted in the Wall again on Sunday!
    Would've been nice to squeeze 1 more in (NO, I'm not talking about Dolly :wink: ), and I don't think even Mark's impression of The Stig could've got you to the train on time :shock:

Sorry, got a bit carried away with the linking there :wink:
  • pittpony
    Ade you must be a bored, bored man!! You're right - we'd have had to get up at 5am to get 2 trails in before we had to leave but it worked out OK in the end anyway
  • pittpony wrote:
    Bedgbury is a gravel ridden pile of poo, White's level is much better:-) none of our local trails will be the same again! I want to move to Wales.
    Now now Andy, that pile of gravelly poo is the closest thing we have to a trail centre over here.

So when you move to Wales do you want to share the removal van??!

I know, sad isn't it!
  • Once i get my GPS downloaded i will let you know how much climbing we did. We could have had another day there..... ;) or if Russ woke us all up when his alarm went of we could have maybe done another trail. :)

Started puting the vids up 1 at a time will let you know when all done.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • pittpony
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Once i get my GPS downloaded i will let you know how much climbing we did. We could have had another day there..... ;) or if Russ woke us all up when his alarm went of we could have maybe done another trail. :)

Started puting the vids up 1 at a time will let you know when all done.
    I completely agree Dad. I blame everyone else too! :wink:

Well here are my pics.
  • Ok Mum :wink:

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Bmjboy wrote:
    HEARTFELT PLEA:

PLEASE Stop talking about how great Wales is! - We're going next month, and it cant come soon enough!!

Your smug rants are making the time pass even slower!! :lol:

At least put pics up so I can daydream at my PC at some proper trails!

Plea over.

Sorry :twisted:

Even I've been to Wales recently :wink:

This is Penmachno........

DSC00665.jpg

Spot the singletrack :wink:

DSC00667.jpg

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Panter wrote:

You will be Chris! :lol:

I might just pack my bags and jump in the van and go today - bills wont get paid and I'll earn no money while Im away, but that wont be important!! :shock:

Excellent pics everybody, Ive very much enjoyed looking through them.... its keeping me going (and also kicked me up the backside to get MORE hill training in)
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Bmjboy wrote:
    Panter wrote:

You will be Chris! :lol:

I might just pack my bags and jump in the van and go today - bills wont get paid and I'll earn no money while Im away, but that wont be important!! :shock:

Excellent pics everybody, Ive very much enjoyed looking through them.... its keeping me going (and also kicked me up the backside to get MORE hill training in)
    Yes yes, lots of hill training. I'v never spent so much time in the granny ring! Think it was about a 45 minuit climb up to the top of Whites Level!
  • RussAlf
    eh?? whats all this moaning about climbing? on the South Downs Way we climbed 3500m in 2 days, we only climbed about 1500m in wales over the 2 days. I spent alot more time in my granny ring on the SDW.
  • pittpony
    I barely used my granny ring on either trip, as I am brilliant.
  • pittpony
    pittpony wrote:
    /\ /\ /\ This is a lie
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    RussAlf wrote:
    eh?? whats all this moaning about climbing? on the South Downs Way we climbed 3500m in 2 days, we only climbed about 1500m in wales over the 2 days. I spent alot more time in my granny ring on the SDW.

Is that true? - I wouldve bet that Wales had more climbing!

I'll be in no rush to get up the hills in Wales, I'll only rush coming down :lol:

Im training as much as I can, but still being overweight, Im not expecting miracles.

We're going for a long weekend, hope to get riding Friday, Sat & Sun (Maybe monday too)

Im just seriously looking forward to tackling those downhill sections.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • RussAlf
    No sorry it is not true, it was 3759m :D

SDW-vi.jpg

The Wall is 450m of Ascent
    Whites Level is 550m of Ascent
    Brechfa Raven was 725m of Ascent

So are total over 2 days was 1725m, obviously we went up and down a few sections so add on another 250m. So round it up to 2000m.

Wales 2000m over about 40 miles??
    SDW 3759m over 101 miles.

You cant compare the two though as they are completely different in many ways.
  • pittpony
    Wales has BETTER hills 8) When you consider we rode somewhere around 50 miles in Wales with 1500 - 2k of climbing and over 100 miles on the South Downs with 3500m of climbing it kind of evens it up a bit more. The SDW climbs are long tortuous doubletracks whereas in Wales there are some fireroads and singletrack to keep it interesting. I enjoyed riding the SDW but it is nothing in comparison to the technical trails you find in Wales
  • will did 41 miles all in over 1713m total ascent and it was all Brill :D

• impished
    The clilmb at the start of Whites Level is something I'll never forget! The rocky technical sections trick you into thinking "yes this is a climb, but I'm not gaining much height". It's only when you hit a clearing or see someone on one of the switchbacks way below that you realise just how much height you've gained. If every climb was like that I wouldn't give a monkeys about the decents....

BUT OH, WHAT A DESCENT!!!!
    Just goes on and on and on.... a bit like me, eh guys? :roll:
    Unless you've got balls of steel, by the end your arms will be seized from brake pump and you'll be wearing a most rediculous grin :D
    And don't forget; no matter how fast you go and how big they look, the rocky steps/drop-offs are no more than a couple of feet at any point. So hit those biatches with venom :twisted: (like I will next time :oops: )
  • impished
    deadpool2e wrote:
    will did 41 miles all in over 1713m total ascent and it was all Brill :D
    Brill.
    What a nice simple way of summing it up :wink:

Great vids Mark 8)
  • impished
    pittpony wrote:
    Let not beat around the whatstit Nick. You are a mountain-goat. But.......
    Andy
    did
    steal
    your
    title
    :shock:

We had a 50(ish) minute head-start and he still managed to catch up :shock: :oops: :?
    Oh, but on the other hand, I DID manage to beat you on a little hill sprint, eh, Andy :wink:

(just watch his come-back to that comment :twisted: )
  • impished
    Russ,
    Is this a picture of a crack in your Metas pivot? :cry:
    Man, I hope it's not :shock:
  • RussAlf
    impished wrote:
    Russ,
    Is this a picture of a crack in your Metas pivot? :cry:
    Man, I hope it's not :shock:

Im not sure Ade, i think it was already there. I cant tell if it is a crack or a blemish in the pain or the weld..

Look here:

http://www.commencalownersclub.com/index.php/topic,1969.0.html

But when i zoom in on this pic..

http://images106.fotki.com/v494/photos/8/886335/6477030/DSC_0003-vi.jpg

When i zoom in on the above pic on my high res version the crack is there to and the frame is brand new. So im not sure.

What do you guys think?
  • impished
    I think you should get that checked mate. Hope it's only a paint scratch but it is in a dodgy place if it does turn out to be a crack. And it's not like you ride it hard, eh :wink:

I reckon you should post the picks on the workshop thread too, just out of interest.
  • RussAlf
    Yeah ive just sent an email to Merlincycles the shop i bought the frame off with the pics attached so we will see what they say. Hopefully its ok.

Little teaser vid for you all:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/37181/
  • pittpony
    impished wrote:
    pittpony wrote:
    Let not beat around the whatstit Nick. You are a mountain-goat. But.......
    Andy
    did
    steal
    your
    title
    :shock:

We had a 50(ish) minute head-start and he still managed to catch up :shock: :oops: :?
    Oh, but on the other hand, I DID manage to beat you on a little hill sprint, eh, Andy :wink:

(just watch his come-back to that comment :twisted: )
    Yeah, but i'd have caught up quicker ;):lol:

Hope the frame is OK Russ, if not i'm sure it'llbe covered under warranty
  • Russ speaking for experience with cracks on bikes, mine have all happened around a weld line. Yours looks more like a scratch from when they installed the bolt, But would have to have a look for real for a better opinion. Can you see the Alu or what?

Have you had any response yet? I am sure they will sort it out seeing as its so new.

All the Afan vids are up now

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-2-Vids/

feel free to leave sarcastic remarks :)

• pittpony
    Loving the vids guys, apart from the ones where I fall off :lol: