XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    pittpony wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Now would be a good time for Neil aka Thorpy82 to turn up :lol:

And for those of you who don't know.. In my efforts to put together a new trail, I came across a long puddle which a land rover had made. Started out fine with the water about 2 inches from my disk brakes. Next it covered my crankset and shortly after I could only see my stem bar - Of course I won't mention this if you lot was ever to ride said trail... :lol:
    Oh and yes, I got quite rightly f**king soaked :lol:
    Lol p*ssed myself laughing when i got your text ;) Hope you had a good ride aside from the impromptu bath :D

Well I'm thinking that should I decide to go for a swim again, while I'm wet I figure I should do a run up and pull a nice fat wheelie off the edge.. It's about the closest I'm ever gonna get to a lake jump. But naturally if I was to do it, It'd have to be on camera..
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    A carfull of us had a great ride over at Swinley Forest today. Thanks for the ride guys, i'm still buzzing :D I'll also sleep very well tonight!

On a seperate note - I found a new Avatar for you Russ :lol::wink:

ocean-13-037.jpg
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Excellent ride guys still buzzing now! though i am truely knackered, 7 weeks off the bike and a hard first come back ride and i am dead.

Thanks for the avatar Nick! im going to attempt to fix the glasses so hopefully you will see them again!

Helmet cam vids should be up by the end of the week, pretty busy this week. Had a quick look last night and it all came out well.

Russ
  • hi guys, are you riding at blean or possibly bedgebury any time soon? maybe sunday? It's been a while...
  • pittpony
    hi guys, are you riding at blean or possibly bedgebury any time soon? maybe sunday? It's been a while...
    Hi Mike, Sunday is a possibility for me although i need to work out what I'm doing Saturday before i can commit. I think I may be in London in which case it would have to be an afternoon ride for me.

If you're free on Wednesday evening there should be a few of us riding. How does 6.45pm at Rough Common sound to everyone??
  • pittpony
    RussAlf wrote:
    Excellent ride guys still buzzing now! though i am truely knackered, 7 weeks off the bike and a hard first come back ride and i am dead.

Thanks for the avatar Nick! im going to attempt to fix the glasses so hopefully you will see them again!

Helmet cam vids should be up by the end of the week, pretty busy this week. Had a quick look last night and it all came out well.

Russ
    Those glasses should be under warranty if you're crazy enough to get a replacement ;) I'd get in touch with Guide Dogs for the Blind, er I mean Specialized if i were you!

Good effort on the comeback ride though, those were hard miles we rode yesterday and we were all pretty tired by the end. Good going after a 7 week layoff!!

Looking forward to seeing the vids 8)
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    pittpony wrote:
    hi guys, are you riding at blean or possibly bedgebury any time soon? maybe sunday? It's been a while...
    Hi Mike, Sunday is a possibility for me although i need to work out what I'm doing Saturday before i can commit. I think I may be in London in which case it would have to be an afternoon ride for me.

If you're free on Wednesday evening there should be a few of us riding. How does 6.45pm at Rough Common sound to everyone??
    Sounds sweet to me.

Thanks again for yesterday guys, was a wicked day. Russ- you did bloody good for your first ride in 7 weeks, my legs were just about finnished toward the end too!

Mark-i am thinking of going to the Hern jumps this evening. You fancy it?
  • where in Herne are you off to? I might tag along if its cool.
  • andyturner28
    where in Herne are you off to? I might tag along if its cool.
    Do you know where the BMX/4x track is? It's just off of Margate road, probably best to find it on google maps as he you follow my useless directions you'll probably find yourself on the moon:-) your more than welcome to join me if you want, i am going balls out practicing my jumping though, complete with pads and my full face! I an inspired by actually clearing a double in Swinley yesterday:-)
  • thanks mate, something has come up so i'll not be there but have a good one and i hope to be at rough common on weds
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    PITTPONY wrote:
    How does 6.45pm at Rough Common sound to everyone??
    Count me in for Blean @ 18:45 Wednesday 8)

You may struggle to recognise me. I'll be the one with the "NEW & IMPROVED" (well, clean) bike :wink:

You reckon you'll make it this time "Captain Invisible"? (you know who you are :wink: )

Anyone else up for a blast round Blean and the surrounding woods?
    Honestly we know it like the back.... Sorry, I won't make that stupid gag anymore :roll:

oops, the boss has just come in :shock: :evil:
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Hi All - Ever the lurker to keep up to speed on all things Kent MTB...

Just thought Id post a little message to say myself and a couple of mates tired out BBH over the weekend (Kind of thanks to Russ for his GPS logged rides pictures) - I never did get those gps files Russ!! :lol:

Thoroughly enjoyed the downhill sections north of Boxley, some wicked speed you can get down there. Didnt enjoy the uphill as Im a fat b*stard trying to get fit, but that will improve no doubt.

Will no doubt make that area a regular thing, so if you see a fat bloke passing out on the trail, say hello!
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • hey guys, sorry to wuss out at the last minute, but i was flying a big bad assed kite today in the wind. i misjudged the breeze, flew through the air and landed on my head. i could not get up for a good few minutes and have got pretty bad concussion. all in all a bit of a crap day as i had just been out riding and got a puncture as well. what a pile of c0ck.

i will let you know how things progress...
  • deadpool2e
    deadpool2e Posts: 625
    impished wrote:
    PITTPONY wrote:

You may struggle to recognise me. I'll be the one with the "NEW & IMPROVED" (well, clean) bike :wink:

You reckon you'll make it this time "Captain Invisible"? (you know who you are :wink: )

Honestly we know it like the back.... Sorry, I won't make that stupid gag anymore :roll:

Count me in as well please.

Andy i enjoyed our little bmx session on monday and you nearly cleared 2 lots of doubles (on your front wheel) :D seriously hope everything is OK now.

You lot crack me up about Russ and his super glasses :D
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • pittpony
    Looks like a half decent turnout for tomorrow then! Hope you're feeling a bit better / bit less concussed tomorrow Mike. Sounds painful :shock:
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    Afraid I wont be there tomorrow. Been riding far to much these last few days (about 48 miles in total for today and yesterday) and quite frankly my lack of fitness has caught up with me :lol:
    Plus we're a man down at work- the fastest worker. So it really would take a miracle for me to make the train on time.
    Looks as though I wont be there untill September at this rate..
    On the plus side, Captain invisible is soon to have hydraulic brakes, been a looooong time coming..! :lol:
  • andyturner28
    deadpool2e wrote:
    impished wrote:
    PITTPONY wrote:

Count me in as well please.

Andy i enjoyed our little bmx session on monday and you nearly cleared 2 lots of doubles (on your front wheel) :D seriously hope everything is OK now.

You lot crack me up about Russ and his super glasses :D
    Yeah it's a shame you wern't videoing that, not quite sure what happened there :? I assume i hit the upslope of the second part of the double. It left me with a lovely bruse on my thigh, as well as another manky elbow, and my brake levers are looking well secondhand now as they got a good going over from the gravel. I hate gravel :evil:

It's going to be a muddy one tomorrow i think!
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    hey guys, sorry to wuss out at the last minute, but i was flying a big bad assed kite today in the wind. i misjudged the breeze, flew through the air and landed on my head. i could not get up for a good few minutes and have got pretty bad concussion. all in all a bit of a crap day as i had just been out riding and got a puncture as well. what a pile of c0ck.

i will let you know how things progress...

Hmmmm, had my fair share of kites when I tried a bit kite surfing...It's also bad when you let go of said kite and it ends up wrapped around Whitstable indoor bowling clubs roof... :roll:

How's things going in the land of optics...? I've left it all behind now. Hope to catch up with you soon on a ride or two.
  • impished
    Just looking out the window; looks like overshoes and waterproofs will be required tonight then :roll:
  • pittpony
    Shame - it looks great outside over here in sunny Sandwich! 8)

So for tonight we definitely DO have:

Me
    Ade / Impished with his shiny clean bike
    Mark / Deadpool with his dirty muddy car roof
    Andy / Andy with a hurty elbow

And we definitely DON'T have:

The invisible man / Mr Invisible / Papasmurf / Jon
    Reuben / Bricktop / Stunt Monkey / Russ

Mike / giantalkali are you definitely not riding? How's the head? Paul / Lost-time will you be joining us? Any other takers??

Damn, i've just worn out my / key... :roll:
  • impished
    Good ride last night fellas 8)
    Was nice trying Thornden for a change, although helping the wino try to push a bluddy great tree off the Crab & Winkle was a strange way to start the ride :?

Also, the 1st proper dark ride with the lights on again was greeeeaat fun :shock:

Nick, you really need to conquer that little uphill rooty section soon :twisted: That must be 4 out of 4 times you had an off there :lol: Maybe you should borrow Russ's new glasses :wink:
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    impished wrote:

Nick, you really need to conquer that little uphill rooty section soon :twisted

Where abouts do you mean Ade...?
  • pittpony
    Hard to describe but it runs quite near the BMX jumps but a bit closer to the main fireroad. Coming along the main fireroad if you head onto the doubletrack on the left the exit of the trail is a little way along on your right. It's one of the tighter sections of singletrack and has a couple of nasty stumps along the way as well as a lot of roots and not much handlebar clearance. Do you like the way i included my excuses within my description??!

Anyway - yes Ade it is 4 out of 4 along there. Thought was going to make it through OK last night until i clipped my bars on a tree...
  • hey guys, sorry to wuss out at the last minute, but i was flying a big bad assed kite today in the wind. i misjudged the breeze, flew through the air and landed on my head. i could not get up for a good few minutes and have got pretty bad concussion. all in all a bit of a crap day as i had just been out riding and got a puncture as well. what a pile of c0ck.

i will let you know how things progress...[/quote]

Hmmmm, had my fair share of kites when I tried a bit kite surfing...It's also bad when you let go of said kite and it ends up wrapped around Whitstable indoor bowling clubs roof... :roll:

How's things going in the land of optics...? I've left it all behind now. Hope to catch up with you soon on a ride or two.

I finally passed all necessary optics stuff and am now FBDO, wicked. Still at the same place tho so nowt has actually changed. My concussion was pretty bad and i still feel dizzy and disoreantated (?) two days later. Cannot stand up quickly or turn my head quickly. Doc says this will pass... It had better... Might be in Bedgebury this weekend with my mate if any of you guys are about?
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Ive had my fair share of kite accidents, 2 broken ribs being the most serious. Been kitesurfing for 3 years now, these are my kites though the 12m and 7m have actually been replaced just not got any up to date photos.

DSC_0040-vi.jpg

Still not fixed my glasses guys, so you may never see them again. Wish i lived a bit closer to canterbury so i could jion you on the blean rides. I miss that place had some good rides there while my girlfriend was at uni there.

When we going to arrange a ride up at BBH?

BMJBOY, Im really sorry i completly forgot about the GPS files that i was supposed ot email you. If you still want them then i will definalty get them to you this time. Or even better join us on a ride if was can arrange one.
  • pittpony
    Russ you have to do everything you can to fix those glasses as i swear that's the best laugh i've had in ages :wink:

I'm up for BBH again soon but my parents are visiting next week so doubt i'll be riding at all and definitely won't be going further afield than Blean :(

Nice kites by the way. I bought my niece a kite for her Birthday but as it's in the shape of a butterfly it would probably be of little use for kitesurfing...
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    RussAlf wrote:
    BMJBOY, Im really sorry i completly forgot about the GPS files that i was supposed ot email you. If you still want them then i will definalty get them to you this time. Or even better join us on a ride if was can arrange one.

Thanks Russ - But I think we have it sussed now. Our loop is only 7 miles, but takes in the climb through Boxley up towards Detling then up the very easterly edge of the woods. Your map/gps pics did help anyway in guiding us in the right direction.

Its very knackering for me at the moment, as my fitness (and fatness!) is still way off the mark, I wouldnt want to hold you guys up in any way, so I'll hold out on the offer for a little while until I can at least respectfully keep within sight of you guys! :lol:

BBH is great though imho, really do enjoy the downhill sections, although I must make a mental note to wear a LS top next time as Im tearing my arms open on the top section brambles and nettles!!
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • i'm buggered if i can get this bl00dy quoting other people's replies to work... see my last post. how do you do it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i'm buggered if i can get this bl00dy quoting other people's replies to work... see my last post. how do you do it?

press the quote button.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown