XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Good vids Mark, I enjoyed watching those :) Didn't sleep too well myself as i was so battered and bruised!
  • deadpool2e
    deadpool2e Posts: 625
    Glad you enjoyed them.

i want to see what steves (papa smurfs) vids came out like.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • pittpony
    Papa Smirf's real name is Jon, unless there is some elaborate plan to confuse me :wink:

Are you putting the vids online Jon?
  • deadpool2e
    lol :oops: jon i mean...........(no wonder he was not talking to me as i was shouting at him) I have renamed the photos as well....no offence meant

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    Lmao classic! Steve is me.. Not! :lol:

Yeah I will most certainly be putting the vids online and cant wait to see them, my new lappy should be here anyday so at the latest they'll be up by Friday all going well.

In all fairness, that ride was a real first for me, alot of the trails there I've never done anything even close too! Especially the DH's, not used to it being that bloody rough, not to mention deadly! Next time you'll have to come down in sequence so I can get some action shots, near a jump would be good. Weathers gotta be good though.

Am just about the check out the vids now so look forward to some good memories there!
    Thanks for showing us around Russ, was a good route, despite all that f**king climbing!!!
    Can tell I was knackered, slept for 11 hours flat out as soon as I got in!! And then of course 6 across the day and 10 on Sunday night...

Aurevoir for now
    Steve (lol) aka Jon
  • pittpony
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Steve (lol) aka Jon

Lol :lol:

I agree some of the stuff that Russ and Mark rode and we missed out was pretty 'sketchy' to say the least. I've not ridden anything as steep, technical and slippery as some of that before but I'm determined to improve my nerve and technique. I want to look back to now and laugh that i missed some of those bits out!!
  • Papa Smurf
    Might be worth you getting some light armour or something... If I had my knee n shins on aswell as my little chest armour (stops me cracking a few ribs) I would of been alot more confident, of course a bike that didn't feel like it was falling apart would of been an added bonus... :lol:

Tis true though... Don't stop.. Just pucker up and ride it. Keep your weight back as far as you can get it and hold on, the rest will follow..
  • pittpony
    I'm not too bothered about falling off (good job really!) and i know all about the theory of riding difficult downhills. It's the stopping before I ride it that gets me as I find i lose momentum and start thinking about it too much. As a comparison, riding at Afan was amazing because all the difficult bits just flow as part of the trails. OK so some of the stuff on Saturday was harder than Afan but there wasn't anything at Afan i didn't try which just goes to show that keeping going is the way to do it! I think the fact it was so slippery didn't help on Saturday :shock: I know in time i'll get better at it though 8)
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    Yeah i think the only reason i walked some bits is because we stopped before, like the really steep downhill with the chicken route off to the left. I also think i have become so used to riding clipped in, just the thought of doing something like that with one foot flapping in the brease is enough to put me off! I think i can guarentee that if we had kept going i would have done it, as when i was following right behind Russ later on i was fine. Oh well, i'll hit everything next time. And lets make it soon!

Nick- Sorry i can't ride tomorrow as i have worn my rear pads down to the mettal and have scored the disc. I noticed that it is also warped, which explains why i have gone throug the rear pads in only 2 months :shock: Have ordered new pads and disc so should be here by Thursday. Why is it that every time i decide to go back to riding every day again something brakes?! It's a conspiracy!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Sorry for being nosey, but I saw 77 pages on this topic and got interested.

Me and my riding buddies are in South Essex and always lookign for new rides. Is this one a regular thing?

Do you have any maps?

Cheers
    BJB
  • pittpony
    Hi BJB,

We ride pretty regulalry. No set pattern, just whenever people can make it. All are welcome so if you fancy the trip over I'm sure there will be a ride soon. As for maps, RussAlf tends to post our rides with his fancy-dan mapping gagetry so have a look through some of his previous posts. Hope to see you guys along sometime!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Thanks Mate. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any forthcoming rides.

Will also check out maps. Looking for South Downs rides too, if anyone knows of any ;-)

Thanks
    BJB
  • andyturner28
    Oh crap! The only site i could find with a 203mm Avid brake mount adapter in stock takes 5 days to deliver, so i am off the bike till next week! Aggghhh!
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Andy

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13722

That one will do it, what avids do you have?
  • andyturner28
    RussAlf wrote:
    Andy

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13722

That one will do it, what avids do you have?

Hi Russ. I have Juicy 5's. Are Hays and Avid mounts the same size then?
  • RussAlf
    Yup they are the same!

I had avid juicy 3s and the 160 adapters were the same for my hayes, just make sure you get the 20mm bolt through version.
  • andyturner28
    RussAlf wrote:
    Yup they are the same!

I had avid juicy 3s and the 160 adapters were the same for my hayes, just make sure you get the 20mm bolt through version.

Got it sorted. I didn't notice that CR had a 20mm one in stock, so should hopefully be here tomorrow. The Disc and pads turned up today, it's bloody huge! Can't wait to fit them. Going to look like a proper HT downhill bike now :)
  • RussAlf
    My 8 inch rotor made a huge difference. No excuses why you cant keep up on the downhills now :lol::lol::lol:
  • pittpony
    Lol does that mean with my 160mm rotors i can be 1.27 times slower than you on the downhills then? Ah, think i need another excuse to make up for the rest of the time ;)

Bit of bad news tonight. You remember that big-ish fall i had over the dropoff on Saturday? Well had my shoulder checked out tonight and looks like i've broken it :( I've been told not to ride for at least a month. I'm going to avoid any technical offroading but i'll still be riding stuff like doubletrack, bridleways etc. Can't bear the thought of a month off the bike!! Besides which i've already ridden about 60 miles since it happened so a few more can't hurt...
  • andyturner28
    pittpony wrote:
    Lol does that mean with my 160mm rotors i can be 1.27 times slower than you on the downhills then? Ah, think i need another excuse to make up for the rest of the time ;)

Bit of bad news tonight. You remember that big-ish fall i had over the dropoff on Saturday? Well had my shoulder checked out tonight and looks like i've broken it :( I've been told not to ride for at least a month. I'm going to avoid any technical offroading but i'll still be riding stuff like doubletrack, bridleways etc. Can't bear the thought of a month off the bike!! Besides which i've already ridden about 60 miles since it happened so a few more can't hurt...

Holy crap mate :shock: Where about's is it broken? It must just be a hairline fracture as i was following you at the start of Telegraph (before you decided to lay in the brambles :) ) and it definately didn't slow you down. Which particular crash did you do it on, the trail with all the berms?
  • deadpool2e
    pittpony wrote:

Jesus you must be a superhero, you hide your injuries well. I know that when i hurt myself i cry like a big girl. was that the fall when you went over the handlebars?

Hope you recover extra quick.

• pittpony
    It was the second one that i went over the bars i think, but the most spectacular one. I was frustrated to have messed up a section so went back to try again. You guys had all finished and were a little way down from the dropoff that i took too slowly and didn't get the front wheel up.

It's the glenoid that's broken. As far as i can tell its the socket of the ball and socket joint of the shoulder. Quite a small fracture but still a bit sore!
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Nice one Nick. :wink: At least you've got something to show for all those falls, eh? :twisted:

Have you got the arm in a sling?
  • pittpony
    Yep all slinged up at the moment so lots of left hand pecking at the keyboard :s It's funny the difference in people's reactions between when you say "I fell off my bike" instead of "it was a mountain biking accident" :lol::lol:

Anyway, couple of days working from home so at least i get the bonus of a lie in tomorrow!!
  • Papa Smurf
    Aww poor Nick, bit stupid falling off though eh! Wouldn't see any of use doing that...

You'll be back on the bike before you know it!
  • Has anyone been to Bedgebury this week? I'm thinking of popping over tomorrow for a blast and wandered what state it was in?
  • pittpony
    I've no idea but i'd imagine it's a bit muddy again :s
  • Papa Smurf
    Someone suggested going to Mereworth woods to me yesterday. It just outside of medway, it's massive and apparently f**king class for riding...

Could be worth a look....
  • Papa Smurf
    edited June 2008
    Right well I'm having a bit of toruble with this pc, and now the screens gone all fuzzy and pink so I'm sending it back and gonna invest in a new one. Once I'm set up I'll get the Guildford Vids up... Seem to rememeber recording that first bit of dh we done, literally just after we set out...
  • RussAlf
    Mereworth woods loop

Sev-vi.jpg

Ive heard its very good to, lots of singletrack swooping everywhere similar to blean but a bit morevhilly. Not riden it yet but thats a loop i want to do soon.