XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• So the 16th it is now all we need is to agree a time 8:30 as said somewhere else in this thread is best (for me) so i have the rest of the day with the wife and kids. should only take us a couple of hours.

I will be the guy with the yellow stumpjumper.

Should we all meet at the bike wash area??
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Don't suppose any of you are based anywhere near Canterbury? Going to the uni there in a couple of weeks.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I'm 20mins down the road & often ride round Blean/Crab & Winkle Way (which runs alongside the uni!!!! :wink: )
    When you going there? (boring question=what u studying?) :roll:
  • Traveling over a week saturday or sunday. Bikes will follow when I find somewhere secure to keep them. Studying law.

What's the riding like over there? Tend to do a bit of everything.
  • impished
    Don't expect anything too extreme... What we call hills here, are probably considered speed-bumps by anyone north or west of London :oops: :cry::wink:

Most of the time you'll have to string together short singletracks with fireroads/doubletracks/roads :roll:

Bluebell Hill (near Maidstone) sounds good. Gonna try organise a ride there soon. 8)
    Have a look at Kent-Trails, Boars On Bikes @ Bedgebury or MCC Offroad for some other local ride maps/descriptions.

As I said ^^ The Blean is literally on the Uni's doorstep :P

p.s. don't forget your mud tyres :wink:[/url]
    p.p.s. IIRC, there used to be secure bike sheds on campus... (was a few years ago mind)
  • Hi,
    just found this forum....i live in west malling,and would be interested in tagging along one weekend,can't make the 16th,but anytime after that would be good....

cheers simon
  • hey guys - check out www.freecaster.tv/live tonight at 21h CET - they're hosting the 4X LIVE !!!!!!
  • impished
    Hi Sunk,

Amos is up for 22nd if that's anygood :P
    As I said to Amos, start a thread or bump this one next week and we'll try to arrange a ride. 8)
  • Hi,
    22nd sounds good!......
  • impished wrote:
    Don't expect anything too extreme... What we call hills here, are probably considered speed-bumps by anyone north or west of London :oops: :cry::wink:

Most of the time you'll have to string together short singletracks with fireroads/doubletracks/roads :roll:

Bluebell Hill (near Maidstone) sounds good. Gonna try organise a ride there soon. 8)
    Have a look at Kent-Trails, Boars On Bikes @ Bedgebury or MCC Offroad for some other local ride maps/descriptions.

As I said ^^ The Blean is literally on the Uni's doorstep :P

p.s. don't forget your mud tyres :wink:[/url]
    p.p.s. IIRC, there used to be secure bike sheds on campus... (was a few years ago mind)

I live on the thames flood plain, so anything over two feet is considered a blessing....

Thanks for the websites. Will no doubt see you in the near future.
  • impished
    Post/PM when your about dunnnooo, we'll see if we can rustle up a few for a ride.. 8) :wink:

Anyway, I'm off to clean my Camelbak :roll: (after 2 weeks without a clean :evil: :shock: )

BTW, I'll be at Blean by about 10am... Silver Pug 307, black Carrera Fury, beer belly, etc :wink:

edit: read 10am as "when I can drag myself away from tea & toast!" :wink: :roll: :oops:
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Hey buddy, how was Blean? and hows the foot holding up?

Also, anyone wanna lift next Week? i've got a 3 bike carrier thats more comfortable for 2 TBH although you can cram 3 on if needed. I'll be going via Maidstone I should think if anyone wants to jump in next Week.

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • impished
    Yeh, Blean was fun... I found a little bit of new singletrack to string together... 8)
    Foot gave a few warning twinges, but seemed to hold out OK, even when I did press with my full body wait to avoid falling!!! :roll: :lol:

I'll let you know on the lift. unless anyone else has already jumped in the seat :wink:
  • Rite, thought its about time i posted as i started the thread :lol:
    So am i rite in thinking Bedgebury by the bike wash sun 16th september at 8.30.

And possibly sat 22nd ???

:D I got a bike rack as well and coming from medway so if anyone fancies hooking up b4 i leave let me know.

Sorry for the late reply aswell guys - work work work-you know the story. :evil:

4p
  • Hi guys,

This all seems a bit 'the more the merrier' so I thought I'd see if I could tag along too? Not been to Bedgebury before so it might be cool to go with others who have. I'll be the scrawny one with the silver car and the black Giant...

Re: Dunnnooo and impished: I am in Canterbury so if you want to hook up sometime for a trundle round Blean just let me know.

Cheers Mike

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1432583/
    but a couple of things have changed on the bike since the pic.
  • Panter
    I'll be the scrawny one

Oh gawd, another race snake. Can I suggest 2 groups, the fast group....... and the Chris group :lol:

I'll be the Mr blobby lookalike on the Black avalanche btw.

No, there's still space in my car impished.
    BTW, I had a wander down to Blean with the family today. There seems to be miles of singletrack. Is it all legal riding? we just kept to the main tracks (6 Year old daughter in tow) but it looked like a place with big potential. Pretty poorly signed though, we were trying to find the crab & winkle way without success. Must get an OS map...................

Cheers

• thorpey82 wrote:
    Rite, thought its about time i posted as i started the thread :lol:
    So am i rite in thinking Bedgebury by the bike wash sun 16th september at 8.30.

4p

Sounds good to me

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Panter
    Rite, thought its about time i posted as i started the thread

Sorry :oops: :lol:

Yup, sounds good to me too 8)

Cheers

• Hi,
    Another rider from East Kent here. Not been to Bedgebury for over a year now so I may pop over there on the 16th too if thats OK?

There's no ride planned with the guys I normally ride with on that sunday, but I feel I must 'get out there and ride' anyway.
  • Panter wrote:

No, there's still space in my car impished.
    BTW, I had a wander down to Blean with the family today. There seems to be miles of singletrack. Is it all legal riding? we just kept to the main tracks (6 Year old daughter in tow) but it looked like a place with big potential. Pretty poorly signed though, we were trying to find the crab & winkle way without success. Must get an OS map...................

Cheers

There are a few trails in Blean/Church woods that have 'no cycling' signs. But there are plenty of unmarked trails too. People I've come across whilst riding these 'illegal' trails have never said anything... Also you are only supposed to walk your dog on certain paths too but I see loads of dogs on the main paths...again, no one seems to be that bothered.

To get on the crab and winkle you need to find the path that starts almost opposite the entrance to Kent College that is on the main Whitstable -Canterbury road. Look on an OS map and I'm sure you'll find it.
  • By the way forgot to mention its £10 a ticket to come along and ill be taking the money :lol:

Ok im just kidding but any donations will be greatfully recieved......... :D
  • Panter
    There are a few trails in Blean/Church woods that have 'no cycling' signs. But there are plenty of unmarked trails too. People I've come across whilst riding these 'illegal' trails have never said anything... Also you are only supposed to walk your dog on certain paths too but I see loads of dogs on the main paths...again, no one seems to be that bothered.

To get on the crab and winkle you need to find the path that starts almost opposite the entrance to Kent College that is on the main Whitstable -Canterbury road. Look on an OS map and I'm sure you'll find it.

Thanks for that Lost

I will get an OS map for next time :)

Thats good to know about the singletrack, don't get me wrong I'm no matyr I just didn't want to charge into somewhere I'd never been before and endeup causing complaints and problems for future cyclists there.
    Its a big place isn't it 8)

Cheers

• impished
    edited September 2007
    OK, 8:30(ish :wink: )/Bedgebury/16th
    Sounds like we got it sorted!!! :P

Panter/4p, as it stands, I defo need a lift as my car is poorly at the mo :cry:
    Panter, can you beat 4p's £10? :wink:

How many peeps we looking at so far?
    I'm gonna start the "How many actually turn up" sweepstake at 2 :wink:

p.s. I've started a Blean thread here 'cos I was getting a bit muddled between Bedgbury & Blean :roll: . You know how it is... beer + forums just don't mix well :wink:
  • Panter
    impished wrote:
    OK, 8:30(ish :wink: )/Bedgebury/16th
    Sounds like we got it sorted!!! :P

Panter/4p, as it stands, I defo need a lift as my car is poorly at the mo :cry:
    Panter, can you beat 4p's £10? :wink:

How many peeps we looking at so far?
    I'm gonna start the "How many actually turn up" sweepstake at 2 :wink:

Luckily, I'm doing at special at the moment and it's only £9.99 :wink::lol:

No probs with a lift, I'll pm you my number.

Cheers

• Panter
    Everyone still up for this? 8)

Cheers

• Defo

• Yep. Will be over there anyway so I'll look out for you all.

Keep an eye out for a yellow Beetle in the carpark and a guy on a red Inbred...
  • impished
    Impished=Bedgebury=8:30am (ish :wink: )

Looking forward to it guys :P

Thorpey? You still there?
  • I'll be there @ 8.30, silver car and black Giant Bike. Unless the shop don't get the parts I've ordered... Might be tricky without a bottom bracket...
  • we meeting at the bike wash??