XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    lost-time wrote:
    Anyone fancy a night-ride this monday from Blean? Not looking for a particular long one but just one to get out really.

Ade, a few sniffles shouldn't stop you... :lol:

Hi Paul. I was literally just about to text you to see if you wanted to go for a ride tomorrow, so count me in. What time you thinking, 6 ish?

Andy.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I'm gonna have to say no to tonight guys... Gotta sit through kiddies party tonight :roll:
    Jelly/Ice-cream/Screaming/Shouting Can't wait :cry:

Post if you're up for one later in the week though 8)
  • Hey boys and girls, I'm looking to ride with other enthusiasts in and around the Medway area... I have like to ride Blue Bell Hill and Walderslade, sometimes down through Maidstone and Yalding if I'm feeling very adventurous..

Anyone up to the challenge of trying to keep up? :twisted:
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    lost-time wrote:
    Anyone fancy a night-ride this monday from Blean? Not looking for a particular long one but just one to get out really.

Ade, a few sniffles shouldn't stop you... :lol:

Hi Paul. I was literally just about to text you to see if you wanted to go for a ride tomorrow, so count me in. What time you thinking, 6 ish?

Andy.

Damn...! Change of plan. Can't do tonight now. Will have to sort out another one later once I've checked out the work rota.
  • What time and place you got planned for next Saturday and Sunday and how long will the routes take? (So I can tell the wife how long I will be )
    Saturday is going to be from Rough common at 2.00pm.... likely to be 2h30 as it's light until 4.30/4.45pm
    No idea yet for Sunday, although I fancy an other one along the coast. Start would be somewhere between Deal and Capel le Ferne. Will confirm this on the website (during the week http://www.kent-trails.co.uk)

Michael

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    What time and place you got planned for next Saturday and Sunday and how long will the routes take? (So I can tell the wife how long I will be )
    Saturday is going to be from Rough common at 2.00pm.... likely to be 2h30 as it's light until 4.30/4.45pm
    No idea yet for Sunday, although I fancy an other one along the coast. Start would be somewhere between Deal and Capel le Ferne. Will confirm this on the website (during the week http://www.kent-trails.co.uk)

Michael

Think i will definately make it to one of next weekends rides, which one depending on wheather i can borrow my Dad's car for the afternoon if you go to Deal again. Do you usually finnish up anywhere neer a station, so i could get a lift there and train it home?

Andy.
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    What time and place you got planned for next Saturday and Sunday and how long will the routes take? (So I can tell the wife how long I will be )

Michael

Think i will definately make it to one of next weekends rides, which one depending on wheather i can borrow my Dad's car for the afternoon if you go to Deal again. Do you usually finnish up anywhere neer a station, so i could get a lift there and train it home?

Andy.

Should be able to give you a lift in a cramped VW Beetle (new shape) if you are riding sunday. Just remove wheels and seatpost!
  • deadpool2e wrote:
    I will be there on Saturday for sure (if thats OK). Is it all off road or on road also?
    Most of it is usually off road on the Saturday ride, although depending on where we go, we use a few road sections but that's by need as I don't believe in the dark side of cycling :)

Just going with a friend from Strood so anyone interested?

Should spend about 2-3 hours doing the trails, I've never been before but any recommendations?

Other than that I'm out (on Road) most nights from 5ish doing the lap from Chatham, rochester, to Strood, over the A2 bridge, through to Toys'R'Us/Rochester Airport and back.

Anyone care to join up for a road ride feel free.
  • If you are riding from Chatham, I would usually go over the Medway bridge, get on the North Downs Ways (Cheeky trail) up to the railway bridge and head right toward the Mausoleum. Don't know how rideable it is at the moment. Shorne should be fine but will not keep you busy for 3 hours. The trail going around the Country park is all bridleway and quite twisty at places. Any of the trails/paths near the visitor centre are no go for bikes and tend to be busy with walkers & pushchairs. Woodland further along toward Shorne village used to have some nice bombholes.
    [/quote]Should be able to give you a lift in a cramped VW Beetle (new shape) if you are riding sunday. Just remove wheels and seatpost![/quote]

That would be sweet, thanks mate :D

Reguarding evening rides the rest of the week- pick a day, any day :) I am aiming to ride every week day now whatever the weather, even if it's windy! Might even get up early and ride to Reculver and back before work, although it's anyones guess wheather i actually get up in time :roll:

Andy.
  • Thanks,

The Medway area seems to be really lacking in good quality long rides, I loathe having to drive anywhere and prefer to be able to cycle to and from my destinations (willing to cycle up to 15 miles each way to get to a route)

So if anyone knows of good routes that you can put down on

www.mapmyride.com/create

It would be appreciated.

Cheers.
  • NEILHEAD
    NEILHEAD Posts: 435
    Thanks,

The Medway area seems to be really lacking in good quality long rides, I loathe having to drive anywhere and prefer to be able to cycle to and from my destinations (willing to cycle up to 15 miles each way to get to a route)

www.mapmyride.com/create

It would be appreciated.

Cheers.

hi sarge, if you fancy joining us this sunday were meeting at the three crutches carpark in strood and going for a 2.5- 3.5 hour ride through cobham and the surrounding areas let us know if you fancy it? that offer is also for ALL who fancy it :D meeting at 08:30
    Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/
  • Stupid question

Is the Three Crutches opposite the Black Lion Sports Centre?
  • NEILHEAD
    No its in Strood come through strood high st past Strood sports centeron your left then at the top lof the hill the three crutches is on the right off the roundabout justv before the A2

• Bubblin,

The Three Crutches is through strrod on the A2 towards the start of M2. This may help.

Neilhead,

I should be there sunday but not done 3.5 hours ride before so may die on the way.

Do you park in the Pub Car Park?

Last question. Is there any where around Medway to get a cheap 2 litre bladder for my rucksack as the Mrs managed to burst mine yesterday and think I'll need one.

Dave
    Dont know about price but theres a bike shop in strood(bit dear IMO) my local bike shop is actually in Snodland MOTORHOUSE ask for geoff hes really good and services bikes like they were his own 01634 246153 if he dose not have things in stock he can normally gat next day :D

• NEILHEAD
    Oh and yes the car park is cool :lol:

• :oops:

Ah stupid me, I thought the Strood leisure Centre was the Black Lion.

(In case you wonder I am really bad with directions, I get lost walking to the loo, normally go through the third door on the left and end up on the road)

I certainly know the pub now, I'll have a think and let you know nearer the weekend.

The missus normally lets me out on a Saturday and says Sunday is reserved for Us & Baby time.

I'm still going to try Shorne on Saturday though, Cheers.
  • NEILHEAD
    Normally would ask to tag along but have to work this saturday :cry:

• paul_f
    paul_f Posts: 16
    Thanks,

www.mapmyride.com/create

It would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I think there is quite a lot of good stuff in medway, though this time of year it gets a little :? muddy in places, which is why I recently started riding with Kent-trails on Saturdays.

I've got a few things mapped on Memory map, I don't have time to use that mapmyride thing. Maybe you can download the memory map routes to your GPS?

Cheers
    Paul
  • I second Paul on rides around the Medway. Lots of excellent trails and easy to do some long rides (4+ hours) with not much road sections but not the right time of year to ride this area as it get far too sticky. Used to ride there all year round with a group called 'Cyclopathix' but unfortunately long gone now. We do a few rides in the area during the dryer months and as Paul, can send you some MemoryMap files if you want.

Michael

I'll add my email address to my profile.

Thanks
  • impished
    Have you seen the weather for Saturday?
    Jeez that's gonna be cold/wet/windy/snowy :shock: Just the way use real bikers like it :twisted: eh :?
  • impished
    Anybody out and about tonight?
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I won't be able to make it out tonight :( Anyway my bike is in bits and will stay that way until my new bars arrive :( - (hopefully tomorrow!) :D
  • impished
    Tomorrow would be fine for me. Any other bids?
    PITTPONY wrote:
    I won't be able to make it out tonight Anyway my bike is in bits and will stay that way until my new bars arrive - (hopefully tomorrow!)

Did you go for a shorter stem in the end?
  • Thanks, if you do have a good route on memory map it would be appreciated.

I'll add my email address to my profile.

Thanks
    I will email you some routes tonight. MapMyRide seems to be able to import gpx files, so should be the easiest format for you. What sort of distance are you looking at?

Michael
    I'd have to see about tomorrow - I'll let you know.

Yeah i got a 90mm stem in the end. Tried my gf's 100mm stem and risers which sat me up nicely but thought i'd go even shorter to get a better position. Got a great deal on the bars and stem together. At less than half price it would have been rude to turn it down! :D

Typically I ordered after a couple of beers last night and realised this morning i need a torque wrench to fit them without crushing them :oops: