Talk to us here!

Comments

• Im getting to like the new forum and bleieve me I don't like change.

I know it's been hard for you guys and I wish you all the best.

Perhaps a lot of us cant accept change and when it goes tits up it just gives everyone the hump. :?

oops sorry about the sigs...they are just a stupid joke. :oops:
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    Cabcp wrote:
    Well, its worth a shot...

My username on c+ was Cab. I use the name 'cos its what people call me. Simple, I know, but it suits me to go by one name.

Over here for some reason I'm CABCP. I hate that. I don't want to be that.

I can find no posts by anyone else called Cab. So my name has been guzumped by someone who hasn't contributed, presumably from another board.

Simply put, that sucks. I'm not going to change my name, its my own name or the highway; I haven't had a clear answer to stating that over on the old c+ area. Just make it clear; can I have my own name back or is that it?

Responding to my own post, yeah, I know, its not the done thing. But I wanted to re-state this question. No one else contributing here is using my name (Cab), so can I have it back? 'Yes when we have time to do so' or 'No not ever' will suffice.
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    we can do it in the morning, We read the forums all the time, and now that we can start to see the wood for the trees we will be on here regularly to answer your questions.

We?? Who are you Tony Farrelly? This is a polite question, as we are becoming very confused with postings from various people , mods or pseudo mods, techies, designers etc. claiming to be taking some control of the problems on this forum. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He's the Editor-in-chief of BikeRadar
  • Going to try and minaturise my avatar...or get a new one.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    M.Cole wrote:

Fair enough, how about a tag that says what you are/ do. One that cannot be used by posters, as it would be open to abuse if you aren't carefull.......
    Another thing that needs sorting is the swear filter, I keep seeing swear words in sigs and under avatars. I'm no prude, but there really is no need to leave them uncensored.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    Public thanks in addition to the private thanks. Thank you :)
  • Anonymous
    Cab wrote:
    Public thanks in addition to the private thanks. Thank you :)

I'm framing that and sticking it on the wall :wink:
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    It was never our intention to force people together into one big forum, well alright one big forum if you wanted it to be that way, but the idea was, and still is, to make the forums filterable so that you can just go to the road forum or the mtb forum and never go anywhere else if you don't want to.

Will you be able to filter the show acitve/new topics option to exclude the forums you have no interest in ? Or be able to list the new posts by forum rather than by posting time ?
  • carlosg
    carlosg Posts: 126
    admin1 wrote:
    Hi apcmtb,

Can you mind your language please?

Thanks

Ok fair enough his language wasn't what it should've been but how can he be pulled up about this when the forum member he's directing it towards has this->

'Fuck those little blue bastards. They look like a town of deformed fetuses that were suffocated and thrown into a mushroom patch'

as their sig , is it one rule for some and another one for others????????????????? :roll:
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    ratty2k wrote:
    Fair enough,

Thanks ratty2k, I agree with you on both points. :)
  • Gavin Weeks
    Gavin Weeks Posts: 321
    Well it should be nice and obvious who is who due to their ranks :)

Im also looking into the swear filter, there are so many ways to get around it which makes it harder to track and eliminate their method in which to show cursing. Makes me curious as to why people would go to so much effort to swear tho. Doesn't seem to benefit the situation and we aren't at school anymore.

Maybe someone can help me egg the headmasters car?
  • Anonymous
    please can you action this deletion then
  • ratty2k
    Well it should be nice and obvious who is who due to their ranks :)

Im also looking into the swear filter, there are so many ways to get around it which makes it harder to track and eliminate their method in which to show cursing. Makes me curious as to why people would go to so much effort to swear tho. Doesn't seem to benefit the situation and we aren't at school anymore.

Maybe someone can help me egg the headmasters car?

I agree, I wonder what the average age is for the forum as a whole? 'cos a lot act like they are 8 and called Bart Simpson! :lol:
    Glad you are looking tho'!
    My Pics !

• dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    When I click “view new posts since last visit”, it lists all posts from all forums in date order – This is very difficult to browse through!!! Can this not be sorted by forum index and also work like the old forum i.e posts since yesterday last hour etc? I may have been away for a bit and only want to see recent topics.
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • tony farrelly
    tony farrelly Posts: 25
    edited July 2007
    Ste_S wrote:
    It was never our intention to force people together into one big forum, well alright one big forum if you wanted it to be that way, but the idea was, and still is, to make the forums filterable so that you can just go to the road forum or the mtb forum and never go anywhere else if you don't want to.

Will you be able to filter the show acitve/new topics option to exclude the forums you have no interest in ? Or be able to list the new posts by forum rather than by posting time ?

That's where we would like to get, first though we need to get the forums filtering by Road, MTB etc. We are pushing hard for that to happen, even before that though we need to get simple things working with the set up we've got - so that if you're in Road or MTB you can stay in there without being booted out into the main forum index every time you want to go back to the top of the forum you're in. I hoped that this was doable now if you used the breadcrumb trails, but lots of people don't and I'm one of them, but at least it would be a start. It's on the list
  • ratty2k wrote:
    M.Cole wrote:

Fair enough, how about a tag that says what you are/ do. One that cannot be used by posters, as it would be open to abuse if you aren't carefull.......
    Another thing that needs sorting is the swear filter, I keep seeing swear words in sigs and under avatars. I'm no prude, but there really is no need to leave them uncensored.

Somebody seems to have given me a nice corporate tag, which is nice
  • carlosg wrote:
    admin1 wrote:
    Hi apcmtb,

Thanks

Ok fair enough his language wasn't what it should've been but how can he be pulled up about this when the forum member he's directing it towards has this->

'fark those little blue bastards. They look like a town of deformed fetuses that were suffocated and thrown into a mushroom patch'

as their sig , is it one rule for some and another one for others????????????????? :roll:

No, I think that was an Admin-type joke, but would people be in favour of us at least temporarily tightening up the rules on swearing? I don't have a particular problem with it especially if it's confined to the Sandbox or Soapbox forums but is it putting people off?
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    so that if you're in Road or MTB you can stay in there without being booted out into the main forum index every time you want to go back to the top of the forum you're in. That is doable now if you use the breadcrumb trails, but lots of people don't and I'm one of them.

How can we use them please?
    this is what I see ......

Bikeradar Forum Index -> Tour & Expedition

Nothing to tell me I am in Road

Or I am looking in the wrong place? :oops: :oops:

gorge
  • dsmiff wrote:
    When I click “view new posts since last visit”, it lists all posts from all forums in date order – This is very difficult to browse through!!! Can this not be sorted by forum index and also work like the old forum i.e posts since yesterday last hour etc? I may have been away for a bit and only want to see recent topics.

We'll see what we can do, this forum software is supposed to be reasonably customisable so this shouldn't be beyone the whit of man.... hopefully
  • jibi wrote:
    so that if you're in Road or MTB you can stay in there without being booted out into the main forum index every time you want to go back to the top of the forum you're in. That is doable now if you use the breadcrumb trails, but lots of people don't and I'm one of them.

How can we use them please?
    this is what I see ......

Bikeradar Forum Index -> Tour & Expedition

Nothing to tell me I am in Road

Or I am looking in the wrong place? :oops: :oops:

gorge
    No you're right jibi, sorry, I've edited my reply accordingly
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    carlosg wrote:
    admin1 wrote:
    Hi apcmtb,

Thanks

'fark those little blue bastards. They look like a town of deformed fetuses that were suffocated and thrown into a mushroom patch'

No, I think that was an Admin-type joke, but would people be in favour of us at least temporarily tightening up the rules on swearing? I don't have a particular problem with it especially if it's confined to the Sandbox or Soapbox forums but is it putting people off?

It is one thing to swear in the occasional post. It is another to have a signature that includes swearing and misspelled references to deformed foetuses. I commented on this signature to its owner and was asked to flag it if I had a problem. Since then I have had a bit of banter with him, but that doesn't make the signature any more palatable. It is you guys that should be sorting this out, not the poster. You edit out links to bike forums, but you leave this in. What age is your lower limit for people reading this forum? Should I have to explain to a 10 year old what a deformed foetus is, and why it is relevant to cycling?
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    carlosg wrote:
    admin1 wrote:
    Hi apcmtb,

Thanks

No problems with the normal bloody,bugger,shit, arse etc . Not too sure about f***k, c**t, tw*t etc, the don`t offend me but I understand others may be :? .
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • ratty2k
    Its not so much about being offended to me, just no need for it. But agree with Yorkshireman the err gentler ones are ok.....................
    My Pics !

• Patrick Stevens
    Patrick Stevens Posts: 13,398
    Jaded wrote:
    carlosg wrote:
    admin1 wrote:
    Hi apcmtb,

Thanks

It is one thing to swear in the occasional post. It is another to have a signature that includes swearing and misspelled references to deformed foetuses. I commented on this signature to its owner and was asked to flag it if I had a problem. Since then I have had a bit of banter with him, but that doesn't make the signature any more palatable. It is you guys that should be sorting this out, not the poster. You edit out links to bike forums, but you leave this in. What age is your lower limit for people reading this forum? Should I have to explain to a 10 year old what a deformed foetus is, and why it is relevant to cycling?

I'm with Jaded on this. I had a look at another part of the forum and it was full of exhortations to "C*** poeple off." It sometimes gets rather ugly and nasty and doesn't exactly give a good impression of cyclists.
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    I'm with Jaded on this. I had a look at another part of the forum and it was full of exhortations to "C*** poeple off." It sometimes gets rather ugly and nasty and doesn't exactly give a good impression of cyclists.

So am I Patrick. I don`t wander around the bits that don`t have any interest for me so I probably miss the worst of the bad language (and I gave up sandpits sometime between the ages of 4 or 5 when I was given my first two wheeler :) ). The swear words I can take or leave, but the bad syntax etc (though I don`t always get it right - but I do make an attempt) and the fact that the words are often used as a form of personal attack tend to grate a bit :( .
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • Who me
    Who me Posts: 493
    Just having a think around this a bit but not much of the advertising on this forum is bike orientated and is now much broader than previously on the individual forums. Surely this means that the advertising is less targeted than before and probably less effective or shouldn't I say that too loud in case advertisers are watching :? ?
  • Patrick Stevens
    Patrick Stevens Posts: 13,398
    the fact that the words are often used as a form of personal attack tend to grate a bit :( .

Some areas are akin to a bar full of agressive foul mouthed drunks determined to pick a fight with anyone they think is staring at them. The problem that Future will have is convincing advertisers that the forum is full of people with money to buy the latest titanium thingy. Some of the posts suggest that the poster would be more interested in something to remove his tag. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Cab wrote:
    Well, its worth a shot...

My username on c+ was Cab. I use the name 'cos its what people call me. Simple, I know, but it suits me to go by one name.

Over here for some reason I'm CABCP. I hate that. I don't want to be that.

I can find no posts by anyone else called Cab. So my name has been guzumped by someone who hasn't contributed, presumably from another board.

Simply put, that sucks. I'm not going to change my name, its my own name or the highway; I haven't had a clear answer to stating that over on the old c+ area. Just make it clear; can I have my own name back or is that it?

In the same vein, my username on C+ was Ru88ell, and I'm well known in cycling circles as Ru88ell - but since changeover I'm having to be Ru88ellcp.

Now there is a Ru88ell who used to post rarely in the MTB forum - but that's me too!

Can I please be Ru88ell with my C+ post count? You can then delete the Ru88ellcp account.

Thanks in advance.
  • I'm sure we can sort that our Ru88el