epo-aholic wrote:
    Mark,

i'll be out, the usual time?
    Hey Epo

I shall be there at 9.00.See you then.

Mark.
  • TP01
    TP01 Posts: 26
    Won't be out with the club tomorrow, but I am planning a wee jaunt up to Dundee which should be nice for a change. Wondering if I should still go via Slamannan though :lol:
  • Lads,
    i had my rear mech,new chain and cassette changed on sat,took it out today and it feels like it has lost speed,i can now go along slight gradients in my top gears??? [outside ring at front] never could b4 [was always in my 2nd ring at the front
    Also when on a flat bit of road i can put it into top gear and pedal without getting the same speed i used to? and it seems that i am using less effort,by that i mean it is easier to pedla in the higher gears,is this normal?
    The guy who fixed it said it was changing gears ok when he tested it in the shop but on the road 1 or 2 of them are taking a bit longer to change [he did say i might have a wee bit of this so to take it back it that was the case] was wondering if i should mention about the bike seeming slower and the higher gears requiring less effort and therefor not being as fast as before?
    what do you guys think?

cheers
  • BB, it sounds like the cassette ratio has been changed. If the smallest ring at the back is now a tooth or two larger than what was on it before then you would feel a noticable difference whilst pedalling in the top gear.

cheers david.
  • dm10599 wrote:
    BB, it sounds like the cassette ratio has been changed. If the smallest ring at the back is now a tooth or two larger than what was on it before then you would feel a noticable difference whilst pedalling in the top gear.

cheers david.

the bottom 2 rings at the back look a bit different mate,aeems to be more of a gap between them and the other rings,
    how can i change this back?
    what will i say to the guy in shop?

cheers
  • It is difficult to say what is wrong without really seeing the bike. If the bike was serviced at Bike and Ski clinic then I'm sure Robin would take another look at it for you. He has worked on mine and other bikes owned by club members in the past and has always looked after us.

Cheers David

PS. He does not work Sunday or Wednesday
  • dm10599 wrote:
    It is difficult to say what is wrong without really seeing the bike. If the bike was serviced at Bike and Ski clinic then I'm sure Robin would take another look at it for you. He has worked on mine and other bikes owned by club members in the past and has always looked after us.

Cheers David

PS. He does not work Sunday or Wednesday

Yeah,
    Robin is really nice,
    he told me if i have any problems to take it back up to him :wink:

Just felt really weird having less power and speed!

I noticed it coz i was going up hills in a higher gear than normal with a lot less trouble :lol::lol::lol:
  • OS 65
    OS 65 Posts: 415
    The blog has been updated with more club news, if you have time please take a look and post a reply.
    If you've not visited for a while, click 'older posts' at the bottom of the blog to see the full week's news.

http://westlothianclarion.blogspot.com/

ON THE BLOG THIS WEEK:

1. Bonus Saturday run
    2. Saturday ride report
    3. Mr Reliability
    4. Ice-breaker TT report
    5. Clarion Easter Meet update
    6. Where am I?
    7. John's killer climb
    8. Forum Frenzy
  • BillR1
    BillR1 Posts: 271
    Any takers for the hanger tonight, usual time and place?

Rgds, Bill
  • just out of curiosity,
    what cassette/gear ratio do you guys use?

im getting a 12-23 put on mine instead of a 12 - 26 [find that you pedal like crazy but don't get much speed with it] :(
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Bill, won't make it tonight. However, I shall aim to re-appear for a beasting on Tuesday :D

Bigbeezer, my old bike had a triple at the front and 12-25 at the back and the tiny gears were good to have for the really steep stuff.

You shouldn't really be spinning like crazy as you would only use the 25 or 26 tooth sprocket on a steep climb, on the flat you shouldn't use it really. I personally think it's better to have a bigger range of gears but then everyone's different.

My new bike has 12-28 on the back but is a 50-34 compact so 34/28 is pretty near to what I had before on 30/25.
  • grantus
    Bill, won't make it tonight. However, I shall aim to re-appear for a beasting on Tuesday :D

Bigbeezer, my old bike had a triple at the front and 12-25 at the back and the tiny gears were good to have for the really steep stuff.

You shouldn't really be spinning like crazy as you would only use the 25 or 26 tooth sprocket on a steep climb, on the flat you shouldn't use it really. I personally think it's better to have a bigger range of gears but then everyone's different.

My new bike has 12-28 on the back but is a 50-34 compact so 34/28 is pretty near to what I had before on 30/25.
  • grantus wrote:

My bike is a triple at the front grantus, it had a 12 - 23 on it when i got it,then got a 12 -26 on it and the difference is day and night 4 me,much preferred it as it was,with the 12 - 26 on the flat i just couldn't generate the same speed,although it was better for climbing.
  • SparkyP
    SparkyP Posts: 259
    BillR1 wrote:
    Any takers for the hanger tonight, usual time and place?

Rgds, Bill

Hi Bill
    I wont manage tonight.Too much "Admin" :(
    Cheers
    Mark
  • grantus
    Hi Bigbeezer,

Thing is, you wouldn't be using the 30/25 or 26 on the flat anyway and you'll still have the same gears for fast riding on the bigger cassette, it's just that you'll also have a couple of 'bail out' gears when the going gets steep
  • Aiming to be out on Sunday for the first time in 5 weeks I think. Had really bad chest infection - so will try to keep up for a while before you all drop me (probably after about 25 min, the way I'm feeling!).

Have to teach myself how to go a bike again in the meantime!

Jim
  • grantus
    Hi Jim,

Long time no hear!

Fancy a twa brigs loop on Sunday? Nice and easy for me too as i'll be out doing the recce of the Rad with El C tomorrow
  • Hey Grant

Aye, that'll be fine - nice and flat (mostly)!
  • grantus
    Nice one! See you Sunday then!
  • epo-aholic
    epo-aholic Posts: 1,414
    erm, what happened to 30 pages???

we're now down to 92, last time i noticed we were on page 122!

was anyone out today?
  • I also noticed a couple of days ago that the 30 od pages were missing
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    Still the same number of posts, just more on each page....I think.

So did you guys get round the Bridges today?

Jim I hope you are back up to 'Full Battle Strength again'...

Ive Still got weak/sore legs after my friday 'Tak ma doon' experience ..Is there anything I can do to aid recovery. I am still doing my commute by bike which includes a few steep hills.Should I be taking the car.. please say yes :lol:
  • OS 65
    The blog has been updated with a special St David's Day edition, if you have time please take a look and post a reply.
    If you've not visited for a while, click 'older posts' at the bottom of the blog to see the full week's news.

ON THE BLOG THIS WEEK:

1. Forum Fever
    2. St. David's Day Sunday Run
    3. The where am I quiz
    4. It's Spring
    5. Saturday Ride
    6. read the club constitution on the website
    7. John's midweek ride out

Please could you send me any club ride reports you go on! See address below. I'm also interested in your favourite corner and killer climb (send a short report and photo of both).
  • BillR1
    BillR1 Posts: 271
    Hanger open tonight at the usual time.
    Who is coming along?
    Rgds, Bill
  • epo-aholic
    epo-aholic Posts: 1,414
    sorry Bill but i'm out again this week!

have a good 'un!
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    So who wass out today then... Lack of sleep kept me in bed till tooooo late this morning. Having said tha the weather looked apauling. I should be out at the cross for 9 tomorrow though. Anyone else? I need to get back by 12 so may head out earlier and go via the alps!

Andy
  • OS 65
    PICK UP YOUR KIT
    Bill will be handing out the club kit this Thursday at his Hill top retreat in Torphichen, go here for more details:
    http://westlothianclarion.blogspot.com/ ... it-up.html

WEAR YOUR KIT
    We've organised a photo to be taken at the Sports Centre at 9.am on Sunday before the RadTour starts, please come along in your new kit to arrive promptly even if you don't intend to ride the event.
    If you don't have the kit come along anyway.
    http://westlothianclarion.blogspot.com/ ... dtour.html

RAD TOUR
    Grant and Tobias have organised a brilliant event that should cater for all different levels of riders They've even organised a feed stop half way round, stocked with home made delights!. Only club members are able to ride this event so download a membership form from the website and bring a cheque (made payable to "West Lothian Clarion") or cash for £15 on the day to join before hand. Membership form here:
    http://www.westlothianclarion.co.uk/join.html

ON THE BLOG THIS WEEK
    The blog has been updated with more club news, if you have time please take a look and post a reply.

1. Knock hill TT race report
    2. Sunday ride report
    3. The where am I? quiz
    4. Sunday ride report
    5. How to ride out weekly TT 10 by Pro rider Evan Oliphant
    6. Grant's 'uneventful' ride
    7. Free BCF Bronze and Silver membership
    8. Welcome to two new members
  • OS 65
    ON THE BLOG THIS WEEK

Many Thanks to Tobias and Grant for organising a superb RadTour event and many thanks to everyone who came along to the group photo.

1. The where am I quiz
    2. New members' profile section on Flickr
    3. The where am I? quiz
    4. RadTour Ssuccess plus loads of photos on Flckr
    5. Club group photo
    6. Clarion stickers
    7. The kit has arrived
    8. Welcome to new member Angus
  • OS 65
    ON THE BLOG THIS WEEK 23rd March