Comments

• SparkyP
    SparkyP Posts: 259
    Grantus

You should make a TT specific bike like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TIME-TRIAL-BIKE-T ... 240%3A1318

Mark.
  • Hi folks..

Just a quick question about your saturday rides..
    Where do they normally finish? Round about the same area as the KWM?

I'd be cycling to the KWM from Caldercruix, so that would be about 13 miles, then 13 back, plus the miles of the group ride, which would add up to around 50ish?

Can anyone post a typical saturday route, or give any advice?

Thanks, Graham
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Graham,

I tend not to manage many Saturday rides however from my limited experience they tend to stay in and around West Lothian/Falkirk/North Lanarkshire around the Slamannan/Avonbridge/Armadale areas and sometimes Longriggend so you could peel off early rather than head all the way back to Linlithgow
  • grantus
    Sparky,

I would do that but not much chance to ride it WITH TWO BROKEN LEGS :!: :!: :!: :shock:

Sadly, it must be sold, but like he says, the frame is a corker but my components weren't of the same high standard :cry:
  • OS 65
    OS 65 Posts: 415
    Graham
    Like Grant says If you mention it to the group, the run can always head towards caldercruix, you could even organise to meet somewhere on the way like avonbridge for 9.30 if its a bit of a struggle to get all the way to the Korean war memorial
    OS
  • SparkyP
    grantus wrote:
    Sparky,

I would do that but not much chance to ride it WITH TWO BROKEN LEGS :!: :!: :!: :shock:

Sadly, it must be sold, but like he says, the frame is a corker but my components weren't of the same high standard :cry:

Dont think I want to meet your wife :wink:

Mark
  • SparkyP
    I have added some pics on the Flickr site http://flickr.com/groups/westlothianclarion/pool/

Take a look at the work by Mrs and Miss P :D .I shall be taking orders for the WLC Mug Mats soon at a VERY reasonable cost :wink:

Grant,Are you entering the Tour of the Campsies? I was looking earlier,and it looks a good route. :oops:

Good workout at the Hanger last night.I must be doing it correctly now as my legs are a bit sore today...... :wink:

Regards

Mark
  • grantus
    Sparky,

I fully intend to do the Tour of the Campsies - it is a nice route (once you get up the Crow Road!) and handy for me to train on too!
  • SparkyP
    Sorry its so late,but Bill has said the Hanger is open from 19.30 tonight if anyone is interested.

Mark.
  • went out this morning along Dumbarton Road to Arnprior, Port of Menteith before climbing over Cox Hill then over the Braes to Thornhill, Doune, Bridge of Allan then home via Plean.

57 miles altogether but as usual average speed not worth posting.

Cheers David

PS. I am up for the Gore sportive at Selkirk on 1st August 2009. I intend to book a place this weekend for the 100 mile effort as I have been to late for entry into the Bealach Beag and the Etape Caledonia.
  • grantus
    Excellent David!

That's you, me and Sparky so far.

Don't know if i'll do 100 mind you - might be doing mtb next day so perhaps 50 on Saturday and 50 on Sunday. I did the 100km mtb 4 years ago then the 50km the following year. It's a great event and the atmosphere is really good at Selkirk Rugby Club as we camped overnight on the Saturday and did the ride on the Sunday.

Usually there is live music in the rugby club on the Saturday night and all the cyclists are welcome to use the facilities. Great place!

Just got into work after doing a 37 mile detour in from home. Cumbernauld to Strathblane via Lennoxtown then on to Blane Smithy roundabout and over to Stockimuir Road. Back along past Hilton Park golf club to Milngavie then past Murray Park and into office via Possil. 16.4mph on fixed but feels a lot harder! Bl**dy hard climb up Stockiemuir Road that is! I've driven over it many times and didn't remember how hilly it was. It's around 4 miles of climbing from Blane Smithy r'bout with short level sections every so often, nice road though - not too much traffic and despite heavy fog drivers were very courteous today :)
  • SparkyP
    grantus wrote:
    Excellent David!

That's you, me and Sparky so far.

Don't know if i'll do 100 mind you - might be doing mtb next day so perhaps 50 on Saturday and 50 on Sunday. I did the 100km mtb 4 years ago then the 50km the following year. It's a great event and the atmosphere is really good at Selkirk Rugby Club as we camped overnight on the Saturday and did the ride on the Sunday.

Usually there is live music in the rugby club on the Saturday night and all the cyclists are welcome to use the facilities. Great place!

Just got into work after doing a 37 mile detour in from home. Cumbernauld to Strathblane via Lennoxtown then on to Blane Smithy roundabout and over to Stockimuir Road. Back along past Hilton Park golf club to Milngavie then past Murray Park and into office via Possil. 16.4mph on fixed but feels a lot harder! Bl**dy hard climb up Stockiemuir Road that is! I've driven over it many times and didn't remember how hilly it was. It's around 4 miles of climbing from Blane Smithy r'bout with short level sections every so often, nice road though - not too much traffic and despite heavy fog drivers were very courteous today :)

Grant

Do you just go in to work on a Saturday so you can post?? :wink: You also did not have to mention Murray Park-did you?

Bill has also posted on our Forum that he intends to do the Gore Sportive also.

I headed over to the KWM at 8 from Livingston and met another five.Out today were Mike,Neil,Angus,Steve,Peter and myself.Headed over the usual roads through Torphicen,Westfield,Avonbridge,Slammannan(Yeh! :lol: )Longriggend,and back to the KWM via Avonbridge,Westfield and Torphicen.One sprtint to me at Avonbridge from Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy out! and one to Mike at Westfield by a wheel :cry:
    Mike and I then headed over the tops and down to Faucheldean(where we never sprinted,but I won the lunge) and up to Winchburgh.Mike then headed back to Linlithgow,and i headed home through Kirkliston,Newbridge,East and Mid Calder back to Livi.58 miles in total for me,and the two turbo sessions this week have really hurt my legs today.

It was a good run on very dirty and potholed roads....Bring on the summer(not that the potholes will be fixed :wink: )

Regards

Mark.
  • grantus
    Hey Sparky,

I had to come into work because I forgot the flowers today :wink:

I would have thought most roadies wouldn't know what Murray Park is anyway 8)

Heading home - may not go same way home - Possolites will be out of bed by now - could be risky :shock:
  • SparkyP
    grantus wrote:
    Hey Sparky,

I had to come into work because I forgot the flowers today :wink:

I would have thought most roadies wouldn't know what Murray Park is anyway 8)

Heading home - may not go same way home - Possolites will be out of bed by now - could be risky :shock:

Its still a bit early for the Possolites,but get the train instead!

I am off to watch the Rugby so have a good run home.
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    I missed this morning because again I am night shift this weekend :evil: . I did gitoot this after noon though.

Brightons, maddiston, avonbridge ,through Linlithgow left at sun micro and over the hill to Boness, Poped in to my dads to put the timers on his lights as he is on holiday. Over the flints to linlithgow up preston rd to KWM down through torphicen over the avon gorge and down through maddiston to home. 22 miles or so and 1740 feet of climbing.

I really need to do some longer runs but I have much free time .....or the stammina / fitness / legs / lungs etc :lol:
  • epo-aholic
    epo-aholic Posts: 1,414
    went out today to try and recce grants route up the crow road/tak and got lost 3 times! they dont seem to have signposts in the west, ended up not doing the climbing bit round the reservoir but still did 122Km!!!!

legs are sore!
  • grantus
    Nice effort epo! myself and El C had mentioned doing a recce the weekend after next if you fancy it?

Open invite to anyone else for a long Sunday run?

I was thinking of maybe altering the route/location of the food stop so both routes get to stop. Seems a bit unfair for the people doing the half route if they don't get a foodstop albeit they can stock up on the same things before they leave the leisure centre.

Trouble is, with the routes as they are, the feedstop at halfway for the half route will be a bit early for the full route. Any suggestions?
  • BillR1
    BillR1 Posts: 271
    Me and Stevie got out yesterday for a quick 40 miler and then returned to the hanger for an hour on the turbo's to the Carmicheal TT DVD just to keep the fitness up.

See you all at the hanger tomorrow night, any takers??

Bill
  • went out 2day for a ride,halfway up preston road with less than half a mile on the clock the bloody rear mech snapped in half :twisted:
    nearly fell off!

it is now in the bike and ski clinic 2 get a new one fitted,

and ideas how much this will cost?

cheers
  • grantus
    Might be best asking Robin that one :!: :wink:
  • aye,
    i forgot to say when i dropped the bike off :oops:
  • SparkyP
    BillR1 wrote:
    See you all at the hanger tomorrow night, any takers??

Bill

Hi Bill

I shall attend also.Was going to try and get out tomorrow through the day,but I have a bit much on.

Cheers

Mark.
  • Hi Bill, count me in for the Hanger tomorrow.

Cheers David
  • OS 65
    The blog has been updated with more club news, if you have time please take a look and post a reply.
    If you've not visited for a while, click 'older posts' at the bottom of the blog to see the full week's news.

http://westlothianclarion.blogspot.com/

ON THE BLOG:

1. Forum frenzy
    2. Saturday ride report
    3. We're winners!
    4. Musselburgh Audax report
    5. Mark Beaumont lecture
    6. RadTour looking pretty
    7. New club calendar
    8. Clarion kit inspires art1
    9. We're in the papers
    10. Welcome to new member Kerstin
  • Mamore
    Mamore Posts: 16
    yes indeed we completed within the time and had a wee cup of tea with peter at the finish .Poor andy was struck down with some sort of lurgy leaving the stoker to get us back to base .Andy was confined to his pit and never surfaced till monday afternoon! oh no cant wait to do the Dave harris in two weeks ! we also had a slight deviation - oops but this involved going up a HUGE hill ! -bet we dont get any points for that ! :lol:
  • OS 65
    SparkyP wrote:
    grantus wrote:
    Possolites

Ok what are the possolites?! :?

OS 65
  • SparkyP
    OS 65 wrote:
    SparkyP wrote:
    grantus wrote:
    Possolites

Ok what are the possolites?! :?

OS 65

From what I understand,Grant went through Possil Park in Glesga!!! :wink:
    It is allegedly the local natives.(not getting involved :D )

Mark
  • grantus
    Tis true Sparky - I was referring to the natives!

Also know as Young Posso Fleeto, Posso Boyz, Jungo Boyz

A fine suburb of Glasgow indeed! To be fair, I do a lot of work up there and it's not as bad as the media would have you believe - majority of folks are just trying to do the best they can like most of us (still wouldnae take ma fair fortnight there mind you!)
  • SparkyP
    Got out Early thursday morning for a quick 20 miler from the house.Weather was sunny but quite windy.

Anyone out saturday? Met Office say it shall be sunny.... :D

Cheers

Mark