The Richmond Park, 2007, 3-Lap challenge!

Toks
Toks Posts: 1,143
Common you horrible lot, its that time again! You need to get some idea of where you are fitness wise. Test yourself by riding 3 laps of the RP fast but as safely as possible. Give it a go at least once a month; your initial goal should be to go under 60 mins after that - impossible is nothing!

1. Less than 61mins - a good sign of fitness
2. Less than 56min - a great sign of fitness; possible Gold in cyclos
3. Less than 51min - I hate you; you're a bloody speed demon

Please be safe an remember the speed restrictions. Its only a fun test, so don't go killing yourselves! Copy paste and add your details below mine. I had a go yesterday in horrible windy hailstone conditions...Enjoy!!!

<b>Name
Anti or Clock----Weight
Time
Month</b>

Toks
3 laps/Anti
70kg
62mins
March

The Merckx Diaries: When the smallest guy in the race is comfortably cruising along midpack like he's on a club run and your tongue is stuck to your bottom lip you know its not gonna be your day' http://www.londoncyclesport.com/Blogs/B ... =0&V=1&SP=

Comments

• so you got 62mins due to wind - maybe need a column for 'Conditions' or 'Excuses' ;-)

On the 8th day God made a bicycle, and he saw that it was good. (actually personally he thought it was his best invention yet)
  • I was under the impression that three laps was equal to 20 miles, if you stick to the speed limit (20mph) then you would not be able to complete the course in under 60mins?[:)] [:p]
  • Toks
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I was under the impression that three laps was equal to 20 miles, if you stick to the speed limit (20mph) then you would not be able to complete the course in under 60mins?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ha ha, I said remember them. I didn't say anything about obeying them. Ooops who said that? [:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> so you got 62mins due to wind - maybe need a column for 'Conditions' or 'Excuses' ;-)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No kieran it would be too long [;)]

The Merckx Diaries: When the smallest guy in the race is comfortably cruising along midpack like he's on a club run and your tongue is stuck to your bottom lip you know its not gonna be your day' http://www.londoncyclesport.com/Blogs/B ... =0&V=1&SP=
  • Slightly off topic here, is the park very busy at weekends? What would be the best way to get there from Greenwich/Lewisham area, I would prefer not to take the south circular, does anyone have any alternative routes?
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    The Park does get very busy at weekends, if you want to set a good time you should try to get there before about 9am. Alternatively you can ride after dark when it is closed to cars, but you need good lights and beware of wandering deer.

I regularly cycle from Crystal Palace to Richmond during the summer using the South Circular (I don't know South London well enough to venture into the side roads) its not too bad and is the most direct route.

My Bikes
  • the south circular's not too bad, most of my commute is on it, other routes are just as clogged during the week anyway.

On the 8th day God made a bicycle, and he saw that it was good. (actually personally he thought it was his best invention yet)
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    I take it the dear cull is over?

Is an electron 1 watt front light enough? Was planning 7-9 tonight?

Any probs getting in/out at Roehampton gate?

If it wasn't for hangovers, I'd ride everyday.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kmahony</i>

I take it the dear cull is over?

Is an electron 1 watt front light enough? Was planning 7-9 tonight?

Any probs getting in/out at Roehampton gate?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

According to the Kingston Wheelers' forum, yes ...

"Apparently, the Deer Cull is due to finish tonight, Monday 12th March, the pedestrian gates will be open as usual from tomorrow onwards and the last night it will remained locked is tonight.

This info is from a chap at the Royal Parks."

Never had any problems getting in the Roehampton Gate.
  • Vey nice post Toks, was wondering how long this would take for the 2007 edition to surface. Will post mine after Saturdays ride. :P

"People setting the pace too fast on the front are abused to slow down. Riders that do not share the work are abused. Riders that need abuse get abused and the abuse is done in every language so they get the message"
  • Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    I was out there on Saturday morning. I'll get the excuses in early - it was really windy, I started too late so got caught up by cars, I'd not had enough sleep during the week, my legs are weak...yada, yada [;)]

anyway, I've added my details below:

<b>Name
    Anti or Clock----Weight
    Time
    Month</b>

Toks
    3 laps/Anti
    70kg
    62mins
    March
    Timeless
    3 laps/Anti
    75kg
    62.24m
    March

<font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
  • Name
    Anti or Clock----Weight
    Time
    Month

Toks
    3 laps/Anti
    70kg
    62mins
    March
    Timeless
    3 laps/Anti
    75kg
    62.24m
    March
    halfords-WK
    3 laps/clock
    78kg
    56.30m
    March

long way off my old times, but hey blame the poor diet over xmas and only been training for a week!!

http://groups.msn.com/bikecarrera/shoeb ... PhotoID=10
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Name
    Anti or Clock----Weight
    Time
    Month

Toks
    3 laps/Anti
    70kg
    62mins
    March
    Timeless
    3 laps/Anti
    75kg
    62.24m
    March
    halfords-WK
    3 laps/clock
    78kg
    56.30m
    March
    London-Red
    3 laps/Anti
    Fat
    64.59m
    March

I was quite happy with that until I saw 56.30. And then read you thought it was slow.

Actually, no, still happy with it!
  • Timeless
    sub-65m at this time of year is a good pace, so no need to worry about that.

unless HWK caught a rare windless day this month, that is a fast time.
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    I was clocking 57min last summer, but have been getting round in about 63 during the winter. Glad to see i am not on my own. Started going clockwise this year

Aiming for sub 54 mins this year

Also, hit a new top speed there that weekend when it was really windy....74.1kph.....then i bottled it and put the breaks on[:D]
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    just to maintain the format...

Name
    Anti or Clock----Weight
    Time
    Month

Toks
    3 laps/Anti
    70kg
    62mins
    March
    Timeless
    3 laps/Anti
    75kg
    62.24m
    March
    halfords-WK
    3 laps/clock
    78kg
    56.30m
    March
    London-Red
    3 laps/Anti
    Fat
    64.59m
    March
    Grazer
    3--clockwise
    80kg
    63mins
    March
  • I'm packing 8lbs above my ideal weight...but now the daylight is here...I reckon three weeks and I'll be flyin!

Name
    Anti or Clock----Weight
    Time
    Month

Toks
    3 laps/Anti
    70kg
    62mins
    March
    Timeless
    3 laps/Anti
    75kg
    62.24m
    March
    halfords-WK
    3 laps/clock
    78kg
    56.30m
    March
    London-Red
    3 laps/Anti
    Fat
    64.59m
    March
    Grazer
    3--clockwise
    80kg
    63mins
    March
    (Steeles
    On Wheels)
    3 laps/clock
    86kg
    60.43mins---March
    (Steeles
    On Wheels)
    3 laps/Anti
    86kg
    58.58mins---March
  • DTscp
    DTscp Posts: 4
    It was windy, my first ride since September and is taken from my 55 mile "get back into the saddle" ride at the weekend. I bet nobody here goes slower all season!

Name
    Anti or Clock----Weight
    Time
    Month

Toks
    3 laps/Anti
    70kg
    62mins
    March
    Timeless
    3 laps/Anti
    75kg
    62.24m
    March
    halfords-WK
    3 laps/clock
    78kg
    56.30m
    March
    London-Red
    3 laps/Anti
    Fat
    64.59m
    March
    Grazer
    3--clockwise
    80kg
    63mins
    March
    (Steeles
    On Wheels)
    3 laps/clock
    86kg
    60.43mins---March
    (Steeles
    On Wheels)
    3 laps/Anti
    86kg
    58.58mins---March
    DTs
    3 laps/Anti
    90kg
    74mins---March
  • ok i admit i cheated a little, i pumped my tyres to the max pressure of 125psi, and followed my missus in her car!! in her draft not by a piece of string!! naughty me im bad!!

http://groups.msn.com/bikecarrera/newst ... PhotoID=19
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    I did my first ever timed road lap on Sunday. I'm too embarrassed to say exactly how long it took me , but suffice it to say that some of you guys are doing three laps in the time it would take me to do two.
    But I've got plenty of excuses , and I'll be back when I have improved a little

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • Toks
    Manage to knock five mins off (not so much wind on mon pm). Pretty respectable times guys keep up the good work!

<b>Name
    Anti or Clock
    Weight
    Time
    Month</b>

Toks
    3 laps/Anti
    70kg
    57min
    March
    Timeless
    3 laps/Anti
    75kg
    62.24m
    March
    halfords-WK
    3 laps/clock
    78kg
    56.30m
    March
    London-Red
    3 laps/Anti
    Fat
    64.59m
    March
    Grazer
    3 clockwise
    80kg
    63mins
    March
    SOW's
    3 laps/clock
    86kg
    60.43mins---March
    SOW's
    3 laps/Anti
    86kg
    58.58mins---March
    DTs
    3 laps/Anti
    90kg
    74mins
    March

The Merckx Diaries:http://www.londoncyclesport.com/Blogs/Blogsmessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=9&srchdte=0&last=1&V=1&SP=
  • currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    was that behind a car too?? lol!! good time toks!
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • probably!! im determined to get my sub-50 minutes 3 lap record back!!

• Timeless
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>

probably!! im determined to get my sub-50 minutes 3 lap record back!!

well if you get in the car, rather than let it motor-pace you, then that should be easy.

this is only a bit of fun and and excuse to focus on improving fitness, but let's stick to individual, non-drafting, no cheating laps shall we? it's the only thing that's meaningful, after all.

• again im sorry, my bad, it'll never happen!!

But on a serious note i am determined to lose the fat and get my times back to the sub 50 minute 3 laps that used to do last year.

• Spurred on by this thread, managed to just sneak in under the hour. On fixed, though (48:18) and only a tiny bit of motor pacing. Needed a big cake and a cup of tea afterwards.

Name
    Anti or Clock
    Weight
    Time
    Month

Toks
    3 laps/Anti
    70kg
    57min
    March
    Timeless
    3 laps/Anti
    75kg
    62.24m
    March
    halfords-WK
    3 laps/clock
    78kg
    56.30m
    March
    London-Red
    3 laps/Anti
    Fat
    64.59m
    March
    Grazer
    3 clockwise
    80kg
    63mins
    March
    SOW's
    3 laps/clock
    86kg
    60.43mins---March
    SOW's
    3 laps/Anti
    86kg
    58.58mins---March
    DTs
    3 laps/Anti
    90kg
    74mins
    March
    Brixtonfixed
    3 laps/Anti
    81kg
    59.55m
    March
  • Toks
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brixtonfixed</i>

Spurred on by this thread, managed to just sneak in under the hour. On fixed, though (48:18) and only a tiny bit of motor pacing. Needed a big cake and a cup of tea afterwards.

Name
    Anti or Clock
    Weight
    Time
    Month

Toks
    3 laps/Anti
    70kg
    57min
    March
    Timeless
    3 laps/Anti
    75kg
    62.24m
    March
    halfords-WK
    3 laps/clock
    78kg
    56.30m
    March
    London-Red
    3 laps/Anti
    Fat
    64.59m
    March
    Grazer
    3 clockwise
    80kg
    63mins
    March
    SOW's
    3 laps/clock
    86kg
    60.43mins---March
    SOW's
    3 laps/Anti
    86kg
    58.58mins---March
    DTs
    3 laps/Anti
    90kg
    74mins
    March
    Brixtonfixed
    3 laps/Anti
    81kg
    59.55m
    March

Well done mate! If this thread acts as a motivational tool for RP riders that can't be a bad thing [:)]
  • geeteecp
    geeteecp Posts: 22
    An early season decentish time.. great thread!

Name
    Anti or Clock
    Weight
    Time
    Month

Toks
    3 laps/Anti
    70kg
    57min
    March
    Timeless
    3 laps/Anti
    75kg
    62.24m
    March
    halfords-WK
    3 laps/clock
    78kg
    56.30m
    March
    London-Red
    3 laps/Anti
    Fat
    64.59m
    March
    Grazer
    3 clockwise
    80kg
    63mins
    March
    SOW's
    3 laps/clock
    86kg
    60.43mins---March
    SOW's
    3 laps/Anti
    86kg
    58.58mins---March
    DTs
    3 laps/Anti
    90kg
    74mins
    March
    Brixtonfixed
    3 laps/Anti
    81kg
    59.55m
    March
    geetee
    3 laps/anti
    60kg
    58.26m
    March
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Didn't anybody have another go at this over the weekend?
    I recorded a PB of sorts , in that I actually did three laps for the first time!

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • DomT
    DomT Posts: 648
    Passed through RP on Sunday, spotted plenty of impressive machines on the road, including a CSC team Cerv‚lo - never seen one of them on the road before!

One of these days I'll give the 3-Lap challenge a go and see if I've improved over last years.

<font size="1">bike 1 bike 2</font id="size1">
  • I fancy giving this a go next week, be afraid DT, your record for slowest time will be in jeopardy! However doing three laps of the park and coming back home will be a 52 mile round trip, seeing as the furthest I've ridden before is 35 miles I think we could be in for a very slow time!