The 2007 Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Comments

• apt
    apt Posts: 1,040
    I'm in!
    Who's up for doing the first on New Year's day?

Andy :-)

Study, cycle, study, cycle, study, cycle....
    CYCLE!
    "When I see a person on a bicycle I have hope for the future of the human race" H. G. Wells
  • I won't be able to show my electronic face here if I don't have a go
    Born to be half wheeled
  • ...and me: in keeping with my desperate-last-entry rides, looks like I'm one of the last ot sign up!
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Polar Bear
    Polar Bear Posts: 1,646
    Hmm, getting fit enough to get on in for the end of January will be a challenge, but, with that new turbo . . . .

Who can tell me (one reply will do please) the website for Audax UK?

It's ok - I've found it!

I'm not promising mind.

Over 100 gears to choose from and still I can't find the right one . .
    Give me wind, every time . . . .
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Well, the 2006 challenge is officially open and I'm keen to see who is the first person to post their January ride in the official register!!![:)]

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

Ribble Cycles is the devil in bike shop form!
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • As I Failed on the First, didn't Start the Second, I'll Try the Third :-) Though having realised how alarmingly unfit I am at the moment, this months will be a challenge in itself.

And Rob, the above post makes sense now that you've edited it, but given the time it was first posted, it was a good attempt !
  • Rob Sallnow
    [:D][:I]

• manotea
    manotea Posts: 1,024
    Hmm, well, I'll not be getting the prize for first ride 0f 2006 tho' I might be in with a shout for last ride of 2005 after a 200k effort on NYE. The real curtain raiser for 2006 is, of course, "The Poor Student" Audax on Sunday 8th...

"Put the kettle on. I'm gaspin"
    "Put the kettle on, I\'m gaspin"
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Hi there - I'm a bit confused. I see the 2006 thread relates to 100km per month whereas the 2005 thread related to 100 miles per month. Are there 2 separate challenges - one for 100 miles pm and one for 100 km per month? If so, is the Official Register for the 2006 100 miles per month challenge still to be posted?
  • Rob Sallnow
    It looks slightly confusing because the Metric Century A Month Challenge has moved to the same forum section as the Century A Month Challenge for 2006 plus the 2005 threads are still being posted in for now.

I've no idea how the Metric version will go but the 2006 Century A Month Challenge will have two threads....The Official Century A Month Register will be a sticky soon and is the thread you only use to post your qualifying rides....don't follow Chisa's example of the 'Me Too' post. There will also be a this thread for general comments about the challenge 'phew, made this months ride by the skin of my teeth' or 'oh bugger I'm out for this year' type posts.

The 2005 register thread will be unstickied soon and will sink down the pages in to obscurity along with the 2005 chat thread.

Hope this helps

• ASC1951
    ASC1951 Posts: 992
    Yes, I'll be there again. Little rosy cheeks still flushed with success from last year...and I've forgotten how horrible January and February's were.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Thanks Rob - now I know. However I think there will be confusion and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the metric challengers start posting on your century thread. It may be an idea to add the word 'miles' to your Official Register heading to try to prevent this. I know yours was there first, but it's just an idea.

I really admire those of you that can do a 100 miler each month, but if I enter any it will probably be the metric one, because a hundred mile trip each month is probably too much for me - certainly in winter. At the speed I go there's not enough daylight in the winter months to get 100 miles in.
  • Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ForumNewbie</i>

Thanks Rob - now I know. However I think there will be confusion and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the metric challengers start posting on your century thread. It may be an idea to add the word 'miles' to your Official Register heading to try to prevent this. I know yours was there first, but it's just an idea.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's a fair point but anyone posting rides of less than 100.0 miles in the Century A Month Challenge will soon find out they have posted in the wrong thread when they check their emails[:D]

• Congrats to Rob and Piedwagtail on their inaugural 2006 centuries - I lived in Bolton-le-Sands once upon a time, PW - haven't heard that name for a long time!

Cheers
    Jan
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jan_connett</i>

Congrats to Rob and Piedwagtail on their inaugural 2006 centuries - I lived in Bolton-le-Sands once upon a time, PW - haven't heard that name for a long time!

Cheers
    Jan

Oh I reckon anyone claiming a century for SUN 02 Jan are sat at the P.C. with a pint and should be disqualified immediately [:)]
    Maybe even made to go shopping at Ribble by way of pennance!

Michael (the date pedant)
  • Rob Sallnow
    Well it feels like a Sunday!!!

• thanks jan.b-l-s wasn't at it's best yesterday,it was almost deserted.
  • bazzerp
    bazzerp Posts: 101
    Rob - I love your signature. I have 2 Ribble 653s & love them. 100 this month is stretching it after a spine operation on 15th December, but 10 out of 12 is still a damn good incentive.

Bazzz

Normal for Norfolk
    Normal for Norfolk.
  • Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bazzerp</i>

Rob - I love your signature. I have 2 Ribble 653s & love them. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yup...I had two Ribble frames about 10+ years ago an SLX and a 531....both were late, the wrong colour scheme and the SLX had a lump of brazing in the top tube and a lump of brazing over the already tapped bottom bracket threads....other than that they were fine till I got something better.

• apt
    apt Posts: 1,040
    My January ride was 102m from Home (Salsibury) through the Wyle Valley, Down to Mere then Shaftsbury, Sixpenny Handley, Fordingbridge, Through the New Forest to Brook, North to Lockerly and back to Salsibury Via Alderbury. Round through Lavistock and Ford back home. 102M. Started 8:15am Sunday 1st January. Finished 4:15pm Sunday 1st January. Was I the first? I though of starting 1am to make sure I got one in as soon as possible but bottled out on New Year's eve.
    "When I see a person on a bicycle I have hope for the future of the human race" H. G. Wells
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    If I can somehow force myself to do 100 miles before the end of this unpleasant month the rest of the year will seem like freewheeling.[:)]

ride your neighbour and love a bike
    Club rides are for sheep
  • Phil Dyson
    Phil Dyson Posts: 2,553
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by apt</i>

My January ride was 102m from Home (Salsibury) through the Wyle Valley, Down to Mere then Shaftsbury, Sixpenny Handley, Fordingbridge, Through the New Forest to Brook, North to Lockerly and back to Salsibury Via Alderbury. Round through Lavistock and Ford back home. 102M. Started 8:15am Sunday 1st January. Finished 4:15pm Sunday 1st January. Was I the first? I though of starting 1am to make sure I got one in as soon as possible but bottled out on New Year's eve.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You need to post this on the other Century thread, apt.

Phil
    Phil
  • Phil Dyson
    Phil Dyson Posts: 2,553
    Couldn't help noticing that a few of those on the Poor Student yesterday went via Stow(e). Did I blink and miss it, or did you all go "on tour", or are you mistaking Moreton in Marsh for Stow on the Wold?

What a pig of a ride that was. If that was my first audax I don't think I'd do another. Shame, because it's fundamentally a pleasant route (which is why I was doing it for the third time). So who's entered the Marlborough Connection?

Phil

<i><font size="1">edited Marmsbury/Marlborough (thanks FP)</font id="size1"></i>
    Phil
  • glad to see the official register has reappeared on page one. have they stickied the wrong thread?
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 295
    Sorry Phil, cant speak for everyone but I was guilty of cutting and pasting Fixed Phil's log (now corrected).
  • Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by piedwagtail91</i>

glad to see the official register has reappeared on page one. have they stickied the wrong thread?

Yes they have, I've flagged the correct thread three times and they still haven't stickied it yet[V]

• 1x1
    1x1 Posts: 506
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phil Dyson</i>

Couldn't help noticing that a few of those on the Poor Student yesterday went via Stow(e). Did I blink and miss it, or did you all go "on tour", or are you mistaking Moreton in Marsh for Stow on the Wold?

What a pig of a ride that was. If that was my first audax I don't think I'd do another. Shame, because it's fundamentally a pleasant route (which is why I was doing it for the third time). So who's entered the Malmsbury Connection?

Phil

I suspect a bit of post-ride delirium set in! I agree, it was a pretty grim experience yesterday, but them I did have my fair share of mishaps including a puncture-stop where i dropped my sandwich and multitool into a roadside turd and my pump refused to function until I took it to bits with frozen fingers and spat into it.
    I'm down for Dr Fosters in a few weeks, then probably the Malmesbury Mash in Feb (both from Cardiff)
  • n/a111
    n/a111 Posts: 4,679
    <i>Marlborough</i> Connection, Phil ?[;)]

OK I though that was Stowe, but none of you spotted it either

I shall ride the Marlborough Connection, the Malmesbury Mash and Dr Fosters
    Phil

www.fixed.org.uk

\'Ce gars l… a des jambes de pro : en acier en montant, en caoutchouc en descendant\'
  • n/a111
    n/a111 Posts: 4,679
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phil Dyson</i>

What a pig of a ride that was. If that was my first audax I don't think I'd do another. Shame, because it's fundamentally a pleasant route (which is why I was doing it for the third time).

It was damp, yes, but not too cold.

I rode it as a perm on a perishingly cold day in December and it took me almost 4 hours longer - OK I rode from home, which puts about 30 k on to it - but even so...
    Phil

www.fixed.org.uk

\'Ce gars l… a des jambes de pro : en acier en montant, en caoutchouc en descendant\'
  • zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fixed Phil</i>
    <i>Originally posted by Phil Dyson</i>
    What a pig of a ride that was. If that was my first audax I don't think I'd do another.
    The route was great; up until the A40 I was even enjoying it; but having sleet in you eyes and a biting wind; it explains why I have never done a 200 between early November and March before. Respect to all you "hardcores", don't know how you do it, I doubt I will after PBP.

<font size="1">You ain't seen me, right?</font id="size1">