The Tour of it's not going past my house in Britain thread

Comments

• Do the riders need armbands and flippers today?

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,606

"The Website" isn't the website, unless you've found a new one. There's an old website which has been hijacked somehow and is now a mishmash of AI text, old ToB stuff and spammy betting links.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,169
    edited September 5

Certainly well hidden, but routes and links to detailed schedules for each stage are here:

Think sponsorship difficulties are responsible, I don't think BC wanted to be running it.

• Soudal doing a Movistar, taking 30secs out of the four man breakaway including JA.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • We get such fantastic racing whenever the race is in Yorkshire

Makes me sad we have to faff about in the likes of Northampton later in the week

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,494

It's the Tour of Britain, not the Tour de bloody Yorkshire.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,293
    edited September 5

Tobias Foss attacked after a previous group got pulled back. An FDJ development rider crossed to him but was basically unable to produce enough power to get around and take a turn. There's now a SQS rider struggling to work with him.

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,247

Louis Sutton in the break!

• Pross
    edited September 5

Louis Sutton on the GB team has managed to get in the break that now has 42" and is now leader on the road. Bahrain for some reason are assisting IPT in the chase.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,411
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,169

Moved to the Dales a year ago, I wake up every day and think I'm on holiday.

(Whispers quietly: t'other side of the pennines in North Lancs is quite nice too)

• Wow, things changed a bit over the last ~45mins, Williams wins again on the uphill sprint!

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross

Good finish there with Williams winning again from a very reduced bunch sprint on a tough climb. Bit of a touch of wheels on the line between second and third but they just about remained upright.

• Pross

Six Brits in the top 10.

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,586
    edited September 6

The racing has been truly excellent this year compared to last. Everyone is gubbed.

I am not on the finish line mic this year, so I got to enjoy this moment with Callum as all alone he came through his first crowds after confirming he'd won the kom jersey overall.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,903
    edited September 6

Not watched any of this yet, but might well catch up after the fact, is it a good watch, entertaining stages?

Previous years have somewhat underwhelmed imho.

The last GC standings I looked at, expecting to see some Ineos near the pointy end, the closest I could see (iirc) was the departing Hayter in 31st place.

Memory from past iterations leads me to believe they used to target it quite enthusiastically.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865

It's been three days of classics style racing - good racing from a long way out each day. Ineos have had a bit of a mare - generally not been strong enough and made a couple of bad decisions.

• DeadCalm

It's been really entertaining. If you were to miss a stage, I'd skip the first. The second and third were entertaining all the way through.

• Yeah Mondays and Tuesdays stages were brilliant, although the first day was kind of OK but ended in a sprint

Next few days seem like sprint stages though, so one would assume the GC is done. The fact the KOM is wrapped up is a bit of a damp squib as well.

Seems the route planners didn't think through having so many climbs front loaded into the race

• Pross

I think the last few days has shown how future routes should be. The UK doesn’t have big climbs but successful versions of the ToB (plus the TdY and Yorkshire stages of the TDF show how you can get some really good racing with endless undulating roads. I know a big part of the issue is how it relies on sponsorship from Councils that effectively sets the route but large parts of the UK offer chances for those punchy routes. What usually happens is they stick in a couple of stages with 1 or 2 bigger climbs but then have flat run ins that allow it all to come back together.

• I can’t see the race ever coming back to Wales, so yeah.

I think the UK coastal roads are where this race should focus.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,411

Why not? It finished in Wales last year and the women's version had multiple stages in Wales earlier in the year

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,892

I have been enjoying the race ...bit low rent parcours

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308
    edited September 6

There is a contract for it to start in Wales next year? I know this was under the old organisers but 1- the contract was adhered to for the womens tour this year; and 2- I’d wager BC were part of the contract anyway.

EDIT- Or are you referring to the issues faced by the Junior Tour of Wales?

• DeadCalm

Decent finish and an impressive sprint by Magnier (QS have found a good one there) but the race now lacks jeopardy. It's a pity that the route wasn't done in reverse.

• Yes.

They were unable to make an exception for them and this is the WA we are talking about. They do so love their rule making powers.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Wouldn't it be different for the Tour of Britain as that is on a rolling road closure, so the support vehicles could go at whatever speed they want within the closures?

As they did in the Women's Tour

• It has been good racing

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,703

Never seen such shoddy camera footage of the last 5km and the sprint finish. Awful. Amateur.

Shame the breakaway got caught.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Pidcock taking on the Ineos salvage role today. I think the presence of the Danish guy probably dooms it.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body