Euro 2024 thread

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,900
    edited June 21

I bet he's had a couple of bottles chucked at his good self n'all.

• focuszing723

Well that was boring. It was hardly a reusable rocket touch down.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

No doubt the Muskrat will be online soon calling them all paedos.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951

France are starting to have that slight air of a great team in decline. At 32, Griezmann not quite the force he was, understandably given he is the wrong side of 30.

• focuszing723

Stevo, I had a terrible night last night. I just couldn't get the Dutch fans awful behaviour off my mind.

• focuszing723

Throwing drinks bottles at your opposition, awful behaviour!

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596
    edited June 22

Don't worry FZ, they've hired Dr. Evil to tell them they can't do that any more.

Surprised this clip hasn't been used before now in Cake Stop 😀

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Not had the pleasure of experiencing VAR much but that lukaku disallowed goal (the most recent one…) is a ridiculous.

Get rid of VAR

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Yeah, as a neutral I don't really care if the player may or may not have been an inch offside. The whole excitement of the game is seeing goals, and that is spoiled when they are continually getting ruled out.

Then again, fans and managers have relentlessly whinged about referees for as long as I can remember so I suppose it's a case of be careful what you wish for.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968

Only my opinion but VAR isn't the issue, the implementation of VAR in football is.

Simple tweaks to how (who?) it's used would improve the situation enormously.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Absolutely.

With the disallowed Dutch goal, why is the referee not in front of the screen talking it through with the VAR team. That's the fundamental issue the game has with implementation of VAR - taking the on pitch ref out of the equation when the decision become subjective.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

The Netherlands one was given off side on the pitch, so what did VAR have to decide in that instance? The ref and linesman obviously thought he was interfering with play.

• kingstongraham

Lukaku one is ridiculous though. There's no way the technology is accurate enough to decide that.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

He was offside.

The objection is that you don't want that close a decision to chalk off a goal.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome

This was an interesting decision to me.

In a world without VAR there'd have been a minor talking point at half time but no controversy

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 23

In no normal way was he off-side. The Dutch goal I can forgive, that’s interpretation. This is just ludicrous however.

• tailwindhome

Normal way is just another way of saying he was offside, but you don't want him to be.

I can understand that.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 23

Nah. He is level with the defender. He just is. In any normal world he is level, just not in var world.

If I stood next to someone like Lukaku was and I asked anyone if I was level they’d say of course.

• focuszing723
    edited June 23

You can clearly see it was offside from this angle.

• kingstongraham

I'm not convinced that there is enough detail to say that he was definitely offside. The computer calculates according to the images provided that he was, but things happen between frames, and it is showing an image with spurious accuracy. Maybe that's as accurate as you can get, but i agree there should be a similar concept to the umpires call where it is that close.

Umpire's call also applies to whether the ball has struck outside the line of the stumps in cricket, so it isn't just for predicted ball tracking.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146

It just needs an equivalent of umpires call. When it is so close it gets lost to pixel count or falls between frames then you stick with the on field decision. It also puts some onus back of the officials on the pitch instead of them ignoring things in the hope that VAR will make the call for them which seems to be becoming more common.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

Lukaku was offside - ok maybe the technology has a margin of error but it's more accurate than the naked eye and the error could be either way. I know Wenger has been pushing for changing offside so it requires more than a toenail but these aren't really arguments against var - whatever offside is surely it's better it's judged as accurately as we are reasonably able to.

For the Dutch goal he's standing where the keeper would dive - it's at the very least a reasonable call to rule it out.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,533

I think I'd get rid of it for offside, I don't think millimeter accuracy adds anything to the game. Not sure about fouls in the build up particularly in the mele around free kicks.

Keep it for ball over the line and possibly for serious foul play that's been missed.

• kingstongraham

I'd suggest that if it's within any margin of error, it's not a clear and obvious error by the on field officials.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

The problem with the idea of "clear and obvious" is that it brings subjectivity into it. As I posted upthread everything needs to be defined and that could include the equivalent of umpire's call.

That doesn't help fouls where there is currently a wide range of incidents that can be both penalties and not penalties at the same time. This is fine for removing VAR incidents, but is imprecise and unsatisfactory.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

What a dull game between 2 sides that have to win. Do they not know that the idea is to try to score a goal?

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

Scotland are passing and pressing better than England, but I think they could play until tomorrow lunchtime and still not score.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

Yes Scotland need to start getting players in the box when they attack.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]