Euro 2024 thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594

Both games are a snooze

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,382

It doesn't look great for the Hungarian centre forward. Fingers crossed ge will be alright.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025

Nailed on penalty

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Correct decision.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,660
    edited June 23

Did the ref conclude he wasn't in control of the ball?

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 315

Oh dear

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,382

Ooops!

Neither side really did enough to try to win that, and one breakaway goal was enough.

Too scared about losing, yet a draw was also going to be the same effect as a loss.

• First.Aspect

David Moyes looked completely gutted.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,589

Normally you want the home nations to do well, so I nearly choked on my ghoulash when Hungary scored at the end 😅

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Still don't think it was a penalty despite what the pundits may say. The forward should probably have tried to get a shot off rather than jumping into the defender's path and then hurling himself to the floor at the first suggestion of any contact.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954

True.

There was a game earlier this week where someone scored because everyone stopped waiting on the penalty claim. Can't remember which game unfortunately. #tooprofessional

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck

I'm with the pundits re the penalty - I can't see any good argument why it isn't given. For me the Hungary player's leg goes into the Scotland player's calf causing him to fall. He does have hold of the defender's shirt but that comes after the initial foul.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 24

I think it is fair to say Scotland were the worst team in the Euros.

5 halves of football without a shot on goal. Unbelievably boring. No spirit on the pitch. Good riddance.

Best thing about Scotland has been the fans, tbh.

Entitled English fans could do with learning a bit of their willingness to cheer on their team and not moan they're not "exciting" enough because they play well in a league which increasingly bears no resemblance to international football.

• First.Aspect

Plenty of moaning on the radio this morning about lack of talent, where has the team from qualifying gone. Manager bringing up that the ref was Argentinian.

They haven't blamed lack of funding from Westminster, but we've had a full house of the rest of footie bingo.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,944

A bit of perspective needed perhaps? Clarke did a good job in getting them to qualify, let's be realistic, it doesn't happen very often. They were also in a group with three teams who were significantly stronger (on paper at least, as Hungary were very poor also). The chances of them getting out as a best 3rd placed team was always slim.

The major issue is they fact they have no real goal scorer. One goal in three games, which was a fortunate deflection, kind of sums up the lack of attacking threat.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754

Obvious penalty. Should at least have been asked to take another look.

• First.Aspect

Scotland under perform to the same extent as England. They are a "small" nation of only 5.5 million, which puts them on a par with Denmark and Slovakia, and higher population than Croatia or Slovenia. Their issue is a national footballing obsession with thud and blunder as a proxy for effort.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 24

Lol are you having a laugh "Scotland under-perform the same extend as England"

England went as far as you can possibly get without winning the Euros.

Last world cup they were quarter finalsits and semi-finalists the world cup before that.

Scotland can't even get out of a group stage where half the 3rd place teams get out. Give over.

Scotland didn't even score a goal - it was an own goal when they were already buried in the worst performance I've ever seen in the Euros. Embarassing.

In their do-or-die effort last night their first shot on target was in the 98th minute. They are a long long long long way from England.

• First.Aspect

Not talking about this particular tournament - jury still out on that.

England has a population of about 60 million and the richest league in the world and the deepest professional league structure. They've won one competition in the entire history of the game, and should be compared with Germany, France, Italy or Spain - all of whom have won far more than England. Compared to what you'd expect, England have grossly under performed.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 24

Lol. Premier League is so overrated.

Yeah, you're right, England should be compared to the big nations, not embarrassing football nations like Scotland who are a very good argument for the Euros not expanding to its more bloated format.

• kingstongraham

It seems more difficult to get knocked out in the first round than to go through, but Scotland were always going to find a way.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,944

I know there are various factors for England's underachievement (thinking of tournaments pre Southgate in particular). For me though, one of the biggest is actually the general attitude of the media and your typical English football fan. We actually create an atmosphere that is borderline adversarial with the team and completely unsupportive and then wonder why they fail. The argument will always be chicken and egg, does the poor performance leading to criticism come first, or does the criticism (or fear of) lead to the poor performance. I can't help feel it is the latter.

It was interesting hearing Southgate being interviewed the other day. He made a comment about how it would be nice if the support was still like it was in 2021. I get the impression that he has kind of had enough now. It wouldn't surprise me if he stepped down regardless of what happens. Plenty will he happy if he does, but I really don't see who replaces him successfully.

• rick_chasey

100% agree. English fans make it a million times harder and it's not a coincidence England did best during Covid.

The level of entitlement about the "quality of players" absolutely does my head in.

• rick_chasey

Everyone banging on about Southgate should be sacked when they're top of the group and he's given England's best results consistently in 3 tournaments, 66 excepted, is remarkable.

• DeVlaeminck

I don't think Southgate helps the bond between supporters and team.

His football is dire to watch, he implies that outside opinion is uninformed, he leaves out fan favourites like Grealish. Now it can be argued he's right on all 3 points, I wouldn't necessarily agree but there is at least an argument to be had, but you can't get away from the fact it impacts how people feel about the team.

Mostly though he's not won a tournament and he's probably just overstayed his welcome.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514

That's not how it works at the moment. VAR rarely does anything for fouls. It's back to the subjectivity of "clear and obvious".

• rick_chasey

It's like people don't remember the Capello years.

• DeVlaeminck

Re Scotland part of the reason people may see them as underperforming is their history of producing decent attacking players. They should be better - ok small country but I read a stat that proportionally more Scots pay to watch football on a weekend than any other country.

There's a bit of the Southgate about the way Steve Clark plays too - ok he can point to qualification as being relative success in the way Southgate can point to progression in tournaments but if it feels so uninspiring what's the point.

• kingstongraham

I thought it was clear and obvious that he'd been fouled in the box, but reading on here perhaps that's now allowed because he could have been somewhere else and not been fouled.