Euro 2024 thread

1404142434446»

Comments

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,901

Like I said though, probably just a pipe dream!

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

I can't imagine many international teams being a big draw for the top managers. I suspect they enjoy the week in, week out footballing aspect of it. At international level you're just waiting to get on the wrong side of the media and supporters which will happen at some point no matter how successful you are. Not sure it pays as well either?

• MidlandsGrimpeur2

Yes, salary is nowhere near what a top PL Manager would earn (Southgate £5mill, Guardiola £20mill a year). I would agree, the lack of activity as an international Manager is definitely a major factor, and the single biggest reason I cannot see Guardiola taking an international job. My only thought is whether Klopp might view the reduced workload as attractive, but as he just left Liverpool due to his fears of burnout and the scrutiny the EM job would come with, I suspect it would not be a realistic option for him at the moment.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,495

The calls fo Guardiola / Klopp to be England manager remind me of something Arsene Wenger said when asked if he would consider being England manager.

To paraphrase his reply, he said something like "international football should be the pinnacle of football but it isn't. The Champions League is the pinnacle of football" The implication being that he wanted to manage at the highest possible level and international football wasn't it and therefore he had no interest in managing an international side.

I would be amazed if Guardiola considered being England manager - his history suggests that he takes very good and successful teams and makes them better due to his brilliant managerial style and tactics and the freedom to pay millions on the one or two missing links - he also works with them 6 days a week. These are luxuries that would not be afforded to him if he took on the England job. Having said that, if it were announced that he was taking the job, I would be very excited indeed!

Klopp would be a little bit more realistic but, again, I think it highly unlikely.

For either of these two, there's a massive risk to reputation.

The "model" that worked so well with GS (ie coming up through the FA England age grade teams) suggests that Lee Carsley has to be in the reckoning somewhere.

Potter seems to me to be the most likely. Good with young players, worked miracles at Brighton, is English and is available.

Howe probably on a par in terms of the above but is in a job and likely to be offered lots of ££ to stay at Newcastle.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001

Yes I would see it as a trade off, salary for reduced workload. What's the point in being rich if you don't have time to enjoy it. Ancellotti has done it and is apparently a target for Brazil, Zidane is supposedly interested in France so top coaches don't always rule it out because of the pay.

Guardiola has said he'd like to try international football and England have as good a squad as any. Agree he may have problems installing his complex way of playing but he may argue he'd tailor his approach.

I don't see fan/media scrutiny as being an issue. The scrutiny Southgate has had hasn't been that great - certainly no greater than he'd get at a major club. Plus it's only ever around major tournaments unless you **** up qualifying which with expanded tournaments and this squad would take some doing.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2

I would agree about Guardiola, although I do remember him (albeit quite some time ago) saying he would love to end his career managing in a World Cup and Euros. He has also said due to his Catalan heritage that he would never be offered the Spain job, so you never know! I guess when something moves from being theory to an actual offer then anyone would have to give it serious thought. Again, not that I think England will actually sound him out or offer it to him.

I am sure Carsley will be in the mix, as you say. I wouldn't be surprised to see Potter with Carsley as his second in command.

• DeVlaeminck

Potter wouldn't mean paying compensation which may well swing it his way over Howe. Potter plus Carsley probably not a bad bet.

Tuchel's expression of interest doesn't seem to be getting much traction which is a bit surprising.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

Another thing against it is you don't really get a chance to put your stamp on how a team plays. You simply don't have the opportunity to get players to play in a style of your choosing. They're coming from all over the place playing in different ways and all you can do is try to mould them into a cohesive unit over a few weeks.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376

They can pick players that play in the system they want to play. For example, Roy Hodgson used to pick a load of strikers and be surprised that the midfield didn't exist.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2

I get the impression that Tuchel has a bit of a reputation as 'difficult' (no idea if it is actually justified or not). I suspect there isn't much chance of the FA risking him.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394

I think those interested in football tactics, if you don't mind a longer read, will really enjoy this:

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671

I like this : "England’s build-up play throughout the tournament simply mimicked the aesthetic of how the elite teams play, without internalising the essence of why these tactics are executed in the first place. "

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

I think the analysis very good. I'm not a qualified coach but have played with someone who now is, and even when we were both players (he team captain/coach), some of his simple ideas rubbed off on me – like mixing midfield man-to-man marking with positional back row defending.

During the Euros we watched an England match together, and during the match he was verbally very much of the opinion that England's problem was that the England players were too often too far spread ; this is addressed in no. 3 of this analysis, and also to a degree in no. 4.

One also easily saw it sometimes when Pickford punted the ball upfield. The whole England midfield and front line was sometimes spread across the whole 60 yards of the pitch. I don't like to see all 20 outfield players in just one eighth of the pitch about the haldway line, which often is the case, but spreading everyone across the whole pitch only makes sense if one really has no idea where Pickford might send the ball (which I suppose might also be true!)

• DeVlaeminck

I agree with him on England's lack of vertical compactness opening up space to play through us. Our defence under Southgate has always wanted to run back towards our own goal but in part I think that us because we don't press well. The basics of defending still hold - it's hard to play high as a defender when opponents have unchallenged possession and can get their heads up to pick out runners.

I think to counter that is why Southgate feels the need not to commit too many players in front of the ball - to fill that space so opponents can't just break through onto our back line. Chicken and egg - do we drop because the opposition have unchallenged possession or do they have unchallenged possession because we've not committed to pressing high because we know we aren't compact?

It's a cautious approach built around not being caught on transition but it limits our ability to win the ball high or to commit enough men forward to really cause problems. It may be a valid approach but you then need an alternative threat - which I'd suggest would be set pieces and playing on the break - yet we weren't good at either which for me is why our xG was so low - our whole approach was built around not conceding but we didn't have much of a plan for scoring.