Cars, cars, cars...

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878

When I needed a new car a couple of years back I started going down the hot hatch rabbit hole and quickly came to the conclusion that the money is better spent getting a 'nicer' (ie newer, fewer miles, better spec) car rather than a 'faster' one. Not least of all because, as you pointed out, the boy racer models have often been well and truly thrashed.

My car is almost exclusively used for ferrying the kids around anyway and being as I'm not 19 years old I don't have any interest in blatting around the village bouncing off the rev limiter (also I have a 600cc sportsbike so if I decide I want to become a hoon, that would probably be my weapon of choice).

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    edited February 5

Just as a slight curve ball, have you considered something like the Hyundai i30N if you do fancy a hot hatch? My brother in law has had a couple of Hyundai hot hatches and loves them. Probably harder to find but more for your money.

Edit - even at a lower spec you would get more for the same money.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

If I were in the market for a hot hatch for a bit of fun, it'd be the Toyota GR Yaris. But it's a bit on the snug side for a family car.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825

Come on Rick, priorities! You can sleep in your car but you can't race your house.

(Full disclosure, having enjoyed a series of 2 seaters, I went down the fast family car route. It gave me little of the pleasure and almost all of the expense, possibly more: I considered myself Alfisted. I now own a very sensible SUV).

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Just a lack of imagination WM 😁

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825

Further disclosure: I part exed one of those 2 seaters for a motorhome.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited February 11

So I’m picking up a new car on Monday. Went semi boring in the end

2017 golf, GT edition1.4 - ie, all the trim inside, including sun roof, bigger info screen thing, yada yada and 18 inch alloys (woop) in a pearlescent black.

The black looks great with the silver alloys and I suspect that’ll last till about 4 minutes after I leave the car shop.

150bhp, automatic (kept pressing a phantom clutch when I drove it), only 36,000 on the clock. ( that was what swung it in the end.)

and it only cost me less than an S-works with the part exchange.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

More practical than the S-Works. The Mini boot is indeed mini.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney

Even more so! 🤣

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Did a bit of time on a driving simulator yesterday, pretty good fun.

Not quite 'The Matrix' levels of sim, but pretty damn good and very engrossing. Good choice of cars and circuits as well.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross

Hopefully picking up a 'new' car this evening, a 2016 1.6 Mini Cooper to replace the wife's old 5 Series Tourer so a bit of a change! I'll be sad to see the 5 Series go as it's lovely to drive, but is has it's MOT on Thursday and I'll be surprised if that doesn't pick up a few problems. The electronic stuff is a bit of a mess on it and we did have an oil leak a few months back that in turn damaged the drive belts, the garage that sorted that out reckoned there were likely to be more issues ahead plus the wife finds it a bit of a pain for parking. I miss my previous Mini so it will be nice to get to enjoy driving one again.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,087

Strange that there are electronic issues with a car with such a good rep..

How many miles has it done?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross

It's pretty ancient, 2007 car with about 160000 miles on it. We've got the Mini now so will probably sell the BMW to We Buy Any Car (I'm never keen to sell privately if I know of any issues). If it flies through the MOT I might hang onto it while my car goes in to have a noise investigated just in case it's anything serious (bit of an intermittent grating sound that seems to be coming from the rear nearside wheel or suspension for a few seconds when pulling off or making a tight right-hand turn).

• pblakeney

Next door neighbour was considering selling his car as he rarely uses it, less than 1k miles a year. Contacted Webuyanycar and another, possibly Motorway? Anyway, Webuyanycar were thousands lower than the other. Something to consider.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    edited February 27

The value is so low it isn’t worth the hassle of dealing with tyre kickers and people not showing up when you wait in to be honest. The initial quote is almost identical with or without an MOT even (and in typical fashion they’ll no doubt knock it down even more when they ‘inspect’ it no matter how accurate an online assessment you give them). I’ll probably lose a couple of hundred on what I could get through a private sale but no guilt or angry buyer if it falls apart the next day. I will miss driving it though.

Edit - misread the first bit, thought you were saying whichever it was it was much lower than the private sale value. I might try Motorway for a quote too but I think that relies on several dealers being interested and outbidding each other which seems unlikely with an older, high mileage car.

• pinno

Could you find out because I got a quote for mine from Motorway and it was shockingly less than expected please?

• pblakeney

Turns out it was Motorway. I'm not saying that they are good, just that in this one example they were significantly better than the one with the huge ad budget.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658

Does the 5 series have a sunroof? That was a source of all kinds of electrical issues in the wagons in particular. The drain channels get blocked and water ends in in the wiring loom bits. Things like central locking stopped being reliable, the rear hatch window switch failing, blown headlights, Bluetooth modules issues and more.

Oil leaks are standard on Beemers after a while. The steering rack one could be expensive to fix, but the other common leak points were no big deal to sort out.

Ask me how I know 😀

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno

I am looking at a much newer 5 series (with no sunroof). Don't like the damn things anyway. May go for a sunroof delete on my 944 when it eventually goes into the bodyshop.

• Wheelspinner

My current 5 wagon is an F11 series, no sunroof. Still has too many electrical things to go wrong IMO. Lovely cruising car though.

• pinno
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited February 27

Decided to have a mooch around some dealerships looking at fiat 500s this weekend as i've decided i need a motorbike with a roof. Too much time in milano watching old men in raybans and exquisite linen suits jumping out of them I think.

I want you all to call me Davide LaRavero now per favore.

(nope I didnt do the italics...)

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • monkimark
    edited February 27

Surely a bmw c1 is the answer if you want a motorbike with a roof?

I'm not suggesting that it's the correct answer (which is just a motorbike and a decent jacket)

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

I've enjoyed being a 100% biker but have you ever tried getting something as mudane as bog roll back home on a motorbike..?

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Wheelspinner

No, wish it did from a driving perspective, but not the maintenance cost angle! I’ve replaced a few of the front suspension bits and that wasn’t cheap. Rear in the wagons are air springs. The electric damper things are VERY expensive to replace - just the “standard” ones are well over 1000 bucks each for OE spec.

• monkimark
    edited February 27

Yes, i regularly overload my bike at Tesco on the way home from work and i managed to redo a bathroom (apart from the bath and sink) with stuff transported on a 125cc scooter before I bought a car when i lived in london.

The c1 has a (sort of) boot, although I think it can be removed to provide a very precarious looking pillion seat.

I do now have a car and am not at all judging you for wanting a practical travel solution that doesn't require bungee cords and a slightly reckless approach to transport

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

I've carried some crazy stuff back home on the bike, but the 2.5m lengths of wood beat me (I fell off before getting out of the yard), and I had to walk 5km home in 35C heat. Wally.

• Pross

There’s no sunroof. We’ve actually got a recall on it that I’ve been nagging the wife to get sorted that is something to do with wiring causing fires but I’m guessing after 17 years it would have shown itself.

Took the Mini for a spin tonight, bit of a boring route to a meeting and mainly in 20mph zones but the brief 40mph section reminded me how much fun they are, the steering and lack of body roll took me by surprise at first and I found myself steering too sharply. My previous one was a diesel so this one is even lighter and more responsive. Looking forward to my first excuse for a long drive on rural A roads - need a trip to North Wales, I’m actually going to Mid Wales on Saturday which would have been perfect but will have the dog so have to use the Qashqai workhorse for that one.