BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

where did you pop up from? keep reading past that post and you will see that people either begrudgingly concede my point or go awol.

Or got bored. Not sure anyone accepted your opinion.

It is true that someone managed what you couldn't and produced an obscure example of how adding one person might lower GDP. Another example might be a destructive invading army.

- are you confident GDP will rise in line with population growth?

That would be GDP per capita which you were explicitly not discussing.
    Are you alright?

Can you really not see the potential difference between immigration and population growth? Again one does not automatically lead to another.

They think that there is a direct link between population growth and GDP growth. Why would I change the subject to GDP per capita?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    but we knew this about 1458 pages back.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,825

but we knew this about 1458 pages back.
    Unfortunately "we" does not mean everybody.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    Rather amusing but I fear that unless his carer explains it then it will be lost on Mr Francois

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,662
    Trade deal with Turkey is almost done, but it requires the UK to reach agreement with the EU as well. Otherwise, it's a tough choice for Turkey.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,759

Trade deal with Turkey is almost done, but it requires the UK to reach agreement with the EU as well. Otherwise, it's a tough choice for Turkey.

Why do you say it's tough? Germany is already a bigger trading partner than the UK currently is and that's before you count the rest.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,662

Why do you say it's tough? Germany is already a bigger trading partner than the UK currently is and that's before you count the rest.
    It's a gamble what the EU would do about the rule infringement when compared with potential loss of trade.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,603
    A little EU back down, this one a win for the City:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/07/09/brussels-backs-london-clearing-houses-win-city/

People who make a living from the world's largest financial market should be happy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,944
    An extraordinary argument.

"By contrast, the UK has already announced that in the absence of a deal it will only gradually move to a full customs and tariff regime in respect of goods imported from the EU, with such controls not being fully implemented until July next year.

Such a delay raises the prospect of European exporters having to spend the first half of next year fretfully watching the sand run out of their tariff-free egg-timer, while their UK counterparts would already have bitten the bullet and adapted to the new regime. That’s a recipe for yet more angst in Brussels."

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,944
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666

"By contrast, the UK has already announced that in the absence of a deal it will only gradually move to a full customs and tariff regime in respect of goods imported from the EU, with such controls not being fully implemented until July next year.

Such a delay raises the prospect of European exporters having to spend the first half of next year fretfully watching the sand run out of their tariff-free egg-timer, while their UK counterparts would already have bitten the bullet and adapted to the new regime. That’s a recipe for yet more angst in Brussels."

How is that extraordinary?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/07/09/brussels-backs-london-clearing-houses-win-city/

People who make a living from the world's largest financial market should be happy.

Erm have a read of the declaration yourself.

What it actually says is that the EU will continue to use it as it suit them but they plan longer term to shift clearing to the continent, as, obviously, the EU as a whole would like that to happen in the EU.

• Stevo_666
    edited July 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Erm have a read of the declaration yourself.

What it actually says is that the EU will continue to use it as it suit them but they plan longer term to shift clearing to the continent, as, obviously, the EU as a whole would like that to happen in the EU.

They were going to stop clearing in London as soon as we left. Now that aren't. There appears to be the realisation that the EU needs the City and expect further concessions as they will not stop needing it.

I though you might reply, as it was you that was gloating about clearing moving to Europe as soon as we left.
  • rick_chasey
    Read what they write for yourself.
  • Stevo_666

Read what they write for yourself.

I did. And your point is?
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

It seems to be saying that our exporters having a hard stop is a good thing and our involuntary transition period for EU exporters is a bad thing.

Without reading the entire thing we don’t know if it is tongue in cheek
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

It seems to be saying that our exporters having a hard stop is a good thing and our involuntary transition period for EU exporters is a bad thing.

Remind me again who will pay any customs duty on goods coming into the EU from the UK after the EU 'hard stop'.
  • darkhairedlord
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Remind me again who will pay any customs duty on goods coming into the EU from the UK after the EU 'hard stop'.
    No one, 'cause they just wont import anything.
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That would be an even dumber argument but has nothing to do with the original quote or your question
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That would be an even dumber argument but has nothing to do with the original quote or your question
    You didn't answer my question. Wonder why?

I was simply making another point to expose the flaws in your argument.
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

So, bad news for the bigger exporter?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not unless we’ve suddenly become self sufficient.
    Even as a Brexiter, I’d want some leverage with the US in those negotiations rather than saying, we’re completely cutting our ties with the EU to deal with you.
  • Stevo_666
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not unless we’ve suddenly become self sufficient.
    Even as a Brexiter, I’d want some leverage with the US in those negotiations rather than saying, we’re completely cutting our ties with the EU to deal with you.
    Its a completely spurious assumption, that was my point. I'm sure you realise that won't be the case.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited July 2020
    Wrong thread
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

To clarify, your argument is that we are sticking it to the EU by not collecting tariffs for six months and this will give UK businesses an unfair advantage as they have a hard stop whereas EU ones will have an indefinite transition period?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

To clarify, your argument is that we are sticking it to the EU by not collecting tariffs for six months and this will give UK businesses an unfair advantage as they have a hard stop whereas EU ones will have an indefinite transition period?
    No. Read my post above again about who bears the costs.
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No. Read my post above again about who bears the costs.
    Again I have a recurring vision of you standing, rollup up in mouth, behind a fairground waltzer so I will decline the invitation.
  • darkhairedlord
    Let me see now....
    The German consumer can either buy an Audi with zero import duty or they can can bear the cost of the tariff on an imported Land-Rover Discovery that will then sit on the ramp awaiting spares, subject to more import duties. Is that about right?